PDA

View Full Version : PA Route 6 ?

canroc
20th October 2005, 21:47
The season is almost over.. 34 degrees F on my way to work this morning.. .warmed up to 56 this afternoon.

A riding buddy and I want to take one final decent ride before the season ends for us. We are considering Route 6 in Pennsylvania as it is only 2 hours away from here. According to the website http://www.paroute6.com/ this is supposed to be one of the best rides in the country.. Has anyone done this route? Just wondered how you found it.

Kath
20th October 2005, 22:00
The season is almost over.. 34 degrees F on my way to work this morning.. .warmed up to 56 this afternoon.

A riding buddy and I want to take one final decent ride before the season ends for us. We are considering Route 6 in Pennsylvania as it is only 2 hours away from here. According to the website http://www.paroute6.com/ this is supposed to be one of the best rides in the country.. Has anyone done this route? Just wondered how you found it.

We went last year about this same time. It is indeed a beautiful road! That is if you are into the scenery. The road itself is pretty much straight and 55 mph so the scenery goes by pretty fast and there's no twisties ;) There's also not a whole lot of places to pull off on the road itself for pics or anthing.

But, there are lots of GREAT roads off of it! Route 144 is one...its a twisty (very much so in some spots!), fun and pretty road. Also, don't forget to see the PA Grand Canyon just west of Wellsboro. Wellsboro itself is a really quaint town with Victorian style homes and real gas lamps for street lights and is popular with motorcycles!

Gone
21st October 2005, 00:27
Rt 6 is very near where I live.......Its beautiful riding..........Dont forget to stop at Lances Harley in Mansfield..........Its on business rt 15......Also Rt 14 from Horseheads down to Williamsport is really nice.........Great ride........Take care...........Scott

canroc
21st October 2005, 01:42
Thanks for the tips... we will be checking out the PA Grand Canyon, and Lances in Mansfield... just need the weather to cooperate.. so far the forecast is solid rain all next week.. we might be looking at an early November run.. brrr.

Moved On
21st October 2005, 02:16
A friend said that he recently discovered route 144 from Galeton south. He claims that it has to be one of the most scenic roads in the country. I haven't been down ther yet, but it's on my list of PA rides to do next summer. Rt.144 goes down to SnowShoe PA, someone from the forum lives there, but I can't remember who it is right now.

Gazza

pquirk
21st October 2005, 02:38
I've done both those, but in in the cage:( with the family. Beautiful rides though. You PA folks have some nice scenery. Very cool, but your State Parks are WAY too expensive for camping:p .

Kath
21st October 2005, 14:28
There's also a Harley dealership just west of Galeton...I think its called Larry's. That place is amazing......he has a million bikes in there! OK, well, maybe not a million, but he had 6 or 8 Ultras alone when we were in there. He also seems to sell every brand of motorcycle there is and dirt bikes and 4 wheelers and snow mobiles! LOL It was a really cool place to kill some time. I got a t-shirt! ;)

canroc
6th November 2005, 17:31
I finally did the ride to Route 6 PA :banana . We took Friday off, being that no rain was predicted and the temperatures were going to hit the high 60's.
It was awesome.. not Route 6 so much, but the 'tributaries' to Route 6. Went from Rochester to Canandaigua down Route 21 along Canandaigua Lake, down to 390 to 15 to Mansfield.. stopped at Lance's HD (cool place, nice friendly staff), through Wellsboro, over to the East Rim of The Grand Canyon of PA (awesome view). ..then over to Galeton for a stop at Larry's HD.. east on 6 to 449 to 248 to Canisteo. 449 and 248 were the roads bikers dream for, winding along a river, in a valley, on new pavement, almost no traffic, winding road, smell of pines, view of river,.. fantastic. left at 7:10 am. got back at 5:20 pm... 310 miles ride altogether.

Jason's Sporty
6th November 2005, 21:53
anyone spend a few days in the nut ward in north warren PA? I think next spring's ride will be along 6.

2wheeltodd
9th November 2005, 04:29
Good for you Canroc. That sounds like a ride for me next spring. Thanks for posting.

canroc
9th November 2005, 15:21
Good for you Canroc. That sounds like a ride for me next spring. Thanks for posting.

I recommend the ride.. Maybe we could organize one next spring with the Forum members who are close (or even not close) to the area.

BTW there is a mistake in my post in this thread that described the trip.. we rode 'west' on Route 6, not east.. just in case anyone was confused.. for some reason I am not able to edit the posting,

2wheeltodd
9th November 2005, 15:35
I recommend the ride.. Maybe we could organize one next spring with the Forum members who are close (or even not close) to the area.

BTW there is a mistake in my post in this thread that described the trip.. we rode 'west' on Route 6, not east.. just in case anyone was confused.. for some reason I am not able to edit the posting,
Count me in. You know where I am!

canroc
10th November 2005, 03:54
Count me in. You know where I am!
Will do... only 6 months until decent riding weather again :(