PDA

View Full Version : Need tire opinions, guys!

RedRider
22nd October 2005, 00:08
It's getting close for me to put some new tires on my scoot, and I'm trying to decide what to get.

I currently have 6000 miles on the Dunlop 401's, and both the front & rear are pretty well kicked in the ass.

I am considering a couple tires to replace them, and was looking for some input from our knowledgable membership.

I ride every day, rain or shine, and need a tire that has well rounded performance characteristics. I would also like to get at least as much mileage out of my next set of tires as I got out of these, if not a little more.

The Dunlop GT501 seems to be more of a sport-oriented tire, which may suit me well because I like hitting the twisties hard. I am concerned that I would not get many miles out of it, however.
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tires/8_2_closeup.jpg

The Metzeler 880 seems to be more of a touring-oriented tire, and I have heard good things about tire life expectancy with them. I hear they are supposed to have a dual composition tread, but I am concerned that they won't provide the traction I need.
http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/MEDIA/TyreCatalog/11500121_ME_880_Marathon.gif

Can anyone shed some light on these tires, and give me your opinions on what would be best for my scenario?

Also, if there is something out there that I am overlooking, feel free to bring it up.

willprevale
22nd October 2005, 00:10
The new Dunlop Elite 3 is the best tire made IMO. Great wet weather traction and high mileage. Doesn't get any better.

Don't let the tread fool ya. The traction is in the compund. No need for the traditional grooving.

RedRider
22nd October 2005, 00:14
The new Dunlop Elite 3 is the best tire made IMO. Great wet weather traction and high mileage. Doesn't get any better.

Don't let the tread fool ya. The traction is in the compund. No need for the traditional grooving.

Just checked out their site.

Looks interesting, but not sure that it's available in the sizes I need, 100/90-19 and 150/80-16. :frownone

RedRider
22nd October 2005, 00:17
Dimension chart (http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=86)

Actually, after checking their dimension chart, it looks like they may work.

They use some weird size designations...

willprevale
22nd October 2005, 00:36
Just checked out their site. not sure that it's available in the sizes I need, 100/90-19 and 150/80-16. :frownone
Ask yer local dealer or rep. Dunlop ALWAYS goes for the MoCo market

tnichols
22nd October 2005, 01:02
If you change size, make sure your rim is wide enough. You can check the recommended rims sized on the manufactures web site.

Jesse_Bolt
22nd October 2005, 02:03
It's getting close for me to put some new tires on my scoot, and I'm trying to decide what to get.

I currently have 6000 miles on the Dunlop 401's, and both the front & rear are pretty well kicked in the ass.

I am considering a couple tires to replace them, and was looking for some input from our knowledgable membership.

I ride every day, rain or shine, and need a tire that has well rounded performance characteristics. I would also like to get at least as much mileage out of my next set of tires as I got out of these, if not a little more.

The Dunlop GT501 seems to be more of a sport-oriented tire, which may suit me well because I like hitting the twisties hard. I am concerned that I would not get many miles out of it, however.

The Metzeler 880 seems to be more of a touring-oriented tire, and I have heard good things about tire life expectancy with them. I hear they are supposed to have a dual composition tread, but I am concerned that they won't provide the traction I need.

Can anyone shed some light on these tires, and give me your opinions on what would be best for my scenario?

Also, if there is something out there that I am overlooking, feel free to bring it up.

I feel the same as you about the 401's, a surprisingly well suited tire with excellent reliability.

Personally, I prefer a sticky front tire. Like you, I do my share of cutting up. Well maybe more than my share. Anyway, I've never been much concerned with how much mileage I get out of a front tire. Just performance; how well it sticks to the road in the corners & how well it responds to those quick evasive maneuvers one has to use for survival. Plus, I don't mind replacing a front tire when I feel it is starting to give up; even with ample tread showing.

Dunlop use to make a race compound tire with the tread pattern of the 401. I cannot find it anywhere. I guess Dunlop quit making it. With that, I'm prolly relegated to the Dunlop GT501 which happens to be the successor of the K591 which is originally designed for racing.

As for the back tire, if I get 3,000 miles out of it, I'm happy. I just don't want a hard touring type high mileage tire on the back.

JB

cantolina
22nd October 2005, 02:46
I will more than likely go for the Elite III's early next year, myself...

I think you ride a lot like I do, Rob, but I get a bit more out of my 401's than you do?

RedRider
22nd October 2005, 04:35
I will more than likely go for the Elite III's early next year, myself...

I think you ride a lot like I do, Rob, but I get a bit more out of my 401's than you do?

I guess I really don't have a "problem" with the 401's, but by the looks of them at 6000 miles, best case scenario is 500-1000 miles of life left in them before they need replacement.

I definitely don't want a tire that's gonna skid out from under me when I need it most, and I would sacrifice some tread life to accomplish that.

Having said that, I also don't wanna be replacing rubber every 3000 miles.

Like I said earlier, I'm looking for a well rounded tire. Still am curious about those GT501's.....

Takingabreak
22nd October 2005, 04:52
Hi Red.

To be honest, I do not feel i have enough experience with tires other then Dunlops to make a proper comment on any other tire.
Met's are a good tire, and many riders run only these tires, but I have heard the same about Dunlops.
The GT501 is an American made tire(Goodyear owns Dunlop) and are the new Screamin' eagle performance tire line.
So they have the blessing of Mother Harley.

That is the reason why I run these tire, Mainly, I like the Idea of Keeping an American in a job.

With that said, Unless your racing, I doubt there is much difference for street riding between these two models.

Moved On
22nd October 2005, 04:55
Ya gotta go with Avons.... they're the only good white walls that'll fit your Sporty :D

Gazza

EC1250R
22nd October 2005, 05:02
Dunlop is far from the best performing tire. The tread pattern leaves alot to be desired and the compound is a bit dated. Avon's give far superior dry pavment traction, Metzelers are a cut above the Dunlops too for dry pavement performance but not as good as the Avons.

Y2K
22nd October 2005, 05:08
I'm a big fan of the Metzler 880 for an overall great tire rain or shine.
Let me tell ya it rains lots up here .
I first tried them after talking to a cop about his Harley cop bike at the dealer.
He was getting a new tire put on and said the dept runs exclusively Metzler 880s.The local cops ride rain or shine and prefer the Metz for their grip in the wet stuff.I've been running them for a few years now and have been very happy with them.Some will say the Dunlops last longer but in my experience they seem to be about equal.
Just my 2cts............Y2K

Hugh Betcha
22nd October 2005, 05:49
My tire supplier, who can get most any tire, keeps pushing Michelin. Anybody know anything about them?

willprevale
22nd October 2005, 05:53
Let's get real about this traction business. Most of us will never approach the circumstances that will test the limits of our tires. I personally don't know anyone that's dumped due to a loss of traction unless they took the turn too damn fast in which case, tires wouldn't have helped. Of course there's always the imbecile that loses traction with worn tires... no further comment is necessary.

Most imported bikes come through with a 45 degree lean capacity. Tire mfgs are aware of this and design their tires around it... for liabilty reasons if nothing else. Most stock Sportsters won't get any more that 38 degrees so most of the better brands will do the job. From there the decision is based on mileage and wet weather traction and a lot of the brands offer both. Now it's a matter of choice. For me, 3000 miles is unacceptable. I regularly get 15-18k with my Dunlops and more on the front tire. While I'm at it... the single most important factor in premature tire wear is inadequate pressures. Tires should be checked weekly, more if ya run tubes.

BTW... One of the fastest riders through the gap runs Dunlop 491s and he gets the same mileages as me.

supercharger
22nd October 2005, 14:56
BTW... One of the fastest riders through the gap runs Dunlop 491s and he gets the same mileages as me.

Waddaya mean? I thought the speed limit was 55? :D

willprevale
22nd October 2005, 15:45
Dunlop is far from the best performing tire. The tread pattern leaves alot to be desired and the compound is a bit dated. Avon's give far superior dry pavment traction, Metzelers are a cut above the Dunlops too for dry pavement performance but not as good as the Avons.
As I said before, very few people ride hard enough to even make that statement. Seriously, everyone has their opinions and I respect that. However, Dunlops are right up ther with the best along witn Mets, Avons anon. Don't let the tread pattern fool you. The traction is in the compund itself eliminating the need for traditional type grooves. If you think the compund is a "bit dated" you haven't checked out the Elite 3 nor are you familair with the 491s.

Where are you getting your information? I've been running Dunlops for 30+ years under all conditions with no problems.

EC1250R
22nd October 2005, 19:12
As I said before, very few people ride hard enough to even make that statement. Seriously, everyone has their opinions and I respect that. However, Dunlops are right up ther with the best along witn Mets, Avons anon. Don't let the tread pattern fool you. The traction is in the compund itself eliminating the need for traditional type grooves. If you think the compund is a "bit dated" you haven't checked out the Elite 3 nor are you familair with the 491s.

Where are you getting your information? I've been running Dunlops for 30+ years under all conditions with no problems.

Sorry, I cant go along with you on this. Ive had the stock Dunlops give way under numerous conditions in both wet and dry situations. Here in mid atlantic there are many different types of road surfaces(concrete,asphalt, recycled stone etc),many bridges with grooved tracks etc. and the Dunlops to me are average performing, alot of riders here locally feel the same way I do too.
First off, lets talk about the tread patter, very poor, and they catch bridge grating and grooved pavement easy making for unstable riding over those surfaces. The Metzelers are less prone to tracking the grooves, the Avons don't at all.
Second the combination of their tread and compound make for tires that do not give a very uniform grip on the many different road surfaces in the area, wet concrete and Dunlops dont make for a good mix here.Metzelers and Continentals on the otherhand give much better grip over a wide variety of surfaces. Continentals though not performance tires are great touring tires and a favorite locally with the bagger crowd. I have had issues with front tire slip under light to moderate braking conditions in the rain(when I ride very carefully and conservatively)and the rear tire braking loose many times on acceleration sooner than when it should have also with the Dunlops. My bike has more power than most XL's but regardless the tires did not perform where I was comfortable with them.
The only times the Dunlops felt secure was under dry clean asphalt. And I can't say that I'm the most agressive driver either, the times I seem to drive agressive are the times I'm avoiding idiot cagers from running me over. And in situations like this I need to feel secure about my footing.
So when you ask where I get my info, its from my own riding and feedback from other local riders and even shops who sell the tires, also to add to the matter is the fact that the 3 local HD's in my area actually push and sell the Metzelers and Avons over their HD Dunlops. Many local HD riders here swap out their Dunlops for Avons,Metz's and Continentals.
And I'm the type of person who checks for proper inflation and changes out tires before their useful treadlife gets too worn.
Never tried the Elite 3's personally(though its obvious to see they mimic'd Avon's tread pattern), but I got no reason too. Plus they offer no real useful sizes. The K 491's are no better than the 401's, 402's and 591's, they still have that poor tread pattern. My Avons do everything I want them too. A top performing tire that does everything well. The only drawback to them is that they wear a bit quicker than most other brands, but thats a tradeoff Ill gladly take.
Dunlops only saving grace is that they are very resistant to puncturing and road hazards.

willprevale
22nd October 2005, 19:41
I respect what you say. You certainly sound like you know what you're talking about. If I were in question about tires, I'd take your suggestions seriously. However, I've been on Dunlops all my riding life and have no issues with them. The exception might be the stock tires as you mentioned.

I recently rode over 500 miles in rain from Ky to Ga at legal speeds with absolutely none of the slippage problems you describe. I also do a lot of secondary road riding and have yet to experience problems over bridges and/or grooved surfaces. I now ride on the Elite 3s and I'm very satisfied. As I said, most of the leading brands are good. They have to be. The competition is too stiff.

I take heresay very lightly in such matters especially if I haven't experienced those tires personally. Converstaions and testimonials in an HD parking lot on Saturday mornings don't much impress me.

EC1250R
22nd October 2005, 20:03
I respect what you say. You certainly sound like you know what you're talking about. If I were in question about tires, I'd take your suggestions seriously. However, I've been on Dunlops all my riding life and have no issues with them. The exception might be the stock tires as you mentioned.

I recently rode over 500 miles in rain from Ky to Ga at legal speeds with absolutely none of the slippage problems you describe. I also do a lot of secondary road riding and have yet to experience problems over bridges and/or grooved surfaces. I now ride on the Elite 3s and I'm very satisfied. As I said, most of the leading brands are good. They have to be. The competition is too stiff.

I take heresay very lightly in such matters especially if I haven't experienced those tires personally. Converstaions and testimonials in an HD parking lot on Saturday mornings don't much impress me.

Dunlops have a notorous problem here for catching road grooves. The alternating parallel pattern in the tread jerks the tire back and forth in road grating. All 4 of the model #'s listed in this thread do it bad.

I do tend to take tires threads more seriously than others, but to me the rubber under your foot is the single most important piece of the bike that concerns your safety. I try to be very thorough in my judgement of different tire brands and their chracteristics. I tend to highlight criticism, and this is one subject where crticism should be highlighted IMO. If you tend to be a casual rider you may not notice the differences up front between tires. Especially if you don't push them hard. But like I said, Dunlops like other name brand tires have a very important factor of being made durable at least. They have alot of material applied to the plys that make them resistant to punctures and road hazards. Something that you don't get with the cheaper economy tires for motorcycles. While were on the subject of road hazards, the 3 top brands for resisting punctures are the Dunlops, Avons and Continentals. This is probably one area were Metzelers fall back a bit behind the others. Metzelers do tend to have less meat on their tires than the other 3 brands and the harder compound used tends to make punctures more prominent. Surprisingly though they wear a long time while giving real good traction at the same time.

willprevale
22nd October 2005, 20:14
Today, for the first time since I've been on this forum, I gave rep points. Your knowledge and ability to have an intelligent discourse really impressed me. You just about have me convinced to try the Metzlers... after I wear out these Dunlops of course.:laugh

I look forward to more such discussions with you.

EC1250R
22nd October 2005, 20:36
Today, for the first time since I've been on this forum, I gave rep points. Your knowledge and ability to have an intelligent discourse really impressed me. You just about have me convinced to try the Metzlers... after I wear out these Dunlops of course.:laugh

I look forward to more such discussions with you.

Unless road wear is your main concern or you do excessive riding in the rain, I would try the Avon Venom X tires at least once. They really do make your bike feel like it got a significant handling upgrade(and it did actually). They are one of the most expensive tires, but they are soooooooo worth it. :banana

Predator
22nd October 2005, 20:44
Unless road wear is your main concern or you do excessive riding in the rain, I would try the Avon Venom X tires at least once. They really do make your bike feel like it got a significant handling upgrade(and it did actually). They are one of the most expensive tires, but they are soooooooo worth it. :banana
Hmmm, thinking about tyres myself.
Why your comment on the rain?? Are they nasty in the wet??
BTW, I too have heard good things about these tyres.

willprevale
22nd October 2005, 20:47
My primary riding is cruising and long hauls with occaisional jaunts to the Gap. I currently ride around 10-15k annually so mileage is high on my list along with good wet road traction. I admit I'm prejudiced when it comes to tires but yer slooooowly convincing me to step outta the box.:buddies

xl1200r
22nd October 2005, 20:55
I have the stock 401's still after about 9500 miles. The tread looks like it will go to about 12, maybe 15kmi, but the tread is so feathered I think I may do them sooner.

I have expeirneced some of the issues described with them. They do seem to wander a little more than neccesary on grooves, and I'll get the back tire to step out on my going around corners with crosswalks painted on it.

EC1250R
22nd October 2005, 21:00
Hmmm, thinking about tyres myself.
Why your comment on the rain?? Are they nasty in the wet??
BTW, I too have heard good things about these tyres.

I made the rain/wet comment because Metzelers have the edge in wet pavement performance I feel, and they would be my first choice if your doing more than 50% of your riding in wet conditions, they still have better than stock dry performance too. If most of your riding is done on dry pavement, then Avons are my top choice, but they also have better than stock wet road performance. Both the Metzeler and Avon have very similiar tread patterns. One reason why their performance is very close to each other. The compound is what makes the small difference in their abilities. The Avon is a softer compound, while the Metzeler is a harder one.

Metzelers true ace is wet performance. Avons true ace is dry performance. Metzelers will give you longer tire wear, Avons will give better road hazard protection. Both are are going to be an upgrade, now order an Avon. :roflblack

As for wear, I perosnally find that Avons wear quicker than Metzelers and stock Dunlops, but I do ride hard(my wife rides harder and goes through tires even quicker). That being said, I have gotten alot of feedback here locally that Avons are lasting as long or longer than the stock Dunlops. I think the real answer is how hard you ride the bike. There is one guy on a chopper that got almost 15k out of a set of Avon Venom X tires, that I can verify personally. BUt I never saw him push his bike, he tends to baby it and take very good care of his rig.

Predator
22nd October 2005, 21:06
If most of your riding is done on dry pavement, then Avons are my top choice, but they also have better than stock wet road
Yup, mostly dry here. I think i'll give them a try.
Thanks for the help.

willprevale
22nd October 2005, 21:11
So much for my royalties and stock in Dunlop...:laugh

fafcpa
22nd October 2005, 23:41
Just curious.

Is the mileage of 6,000 referred to in the first post what one should get from new tires? I have 6,500 miles on my stock Dunlops and they appear far from need of replacement. My riding is mostly local streets and cruising in the country. Very little highway.

Thanks,

Fred

xl1200r
22nd October 2005, 23:48
Fafca,

Most people will see 12,000 miles out of the stock tires. I have 9,500 right now and they look good, except they're a little chopped up. I may replace early because of this.

RedRider
22nd October 2005, 23:51
Just curious.

Is the mileage of 6,000 referred to in the first post what one should get from new tires? I have 6,500 miles on my stock Dunlops and they appear far from need of replacement. My riding is mostly local streets and cruising in the country. Very little highway.

Thanks,

Fred

My rear Dunlop is down to the tread wear indicators at 6000 miles. I ride hard, and most of my riding is on country roads and city streets- not the friendliest roads to tires. They will need to be replaced soon. YMMV.

willprevale
23rd October 2005, 00:08
My rear Dunlop is down to the tread wear indicators at 6000 miles.
There's been a lotta good discussion on this. For you and your specific needs, go with the Dunlops. It's agreed that they provide the most mileage.

Moved On / My Own Choice
24th October 2005, 15:25
There's been a lotta good discussion on this. For you and your specific needs, go with the Dunlops. It's agreed that they provide the most mileage.

Granted I skimmed the thread, but I've always swapped my Harleys over to Metzlers as soon as the first Dunlop rear wore out...

I also currently run Metzlers on my Moto Guzzi...

and I've run em on some of my beemers (airheads, cause the radial metzlers I put on my oilhead didn't make me happy).

That said, I'm also a PA all-weather rider and I routinely get 10-15k out of the rear and nearly double out of the front.

I TEND to run the ME 88 Marathons over the ME880s... but I've run both.

I can't imagine that I would get MORE mileage out of Dunlops... but even if I got a little more it wouldn't matter to me as the handling differences (improvements) I've noticed with Metzlers would make it worthwhile.

For ME, they're the best combination of performance and longevity.

K

RedRider
25th October 2005, 01:14
At this point, I'm leaning towards the Metzelers due to the fact that wet roads are a common occurance for me, and that I would like to get similar or better tire life to the Dunlops that I currently have.

My only concern with them is that dry road traction (straight line & twisties) is on par with the Dunlops.

Can anyone expound on this?

starbuck
25th October 2005, 01:38
Avon AM18 Super Venom Tires
Specially V-rated for speeds up to 149MPH. Developed with an advanced casing and tread pattern. Neutral stress contour means less rubber flex under load. Design puts more rubber on the road for better control.
http://img.jpcycles.com/main/e2f09354-d5e4-412a-ad11-0084e7015fcd.jpeg

I love these Venom V rated tires and have pushed them over a 100MPH on long sweepers. Stick like glue.

Y2K
25th October 2005, 05:34
At this point, I'm leaning towards the Metzelers due to the fact that wet roads are a common occurance for me, and that I would like to get similar or better tire life to the Dunlops that I currently have.

My only concern with them is that dry road traction (straight line & twisties) is on par with the Dunlops.

They're better!;)
I've never heard anyone complain about handling issues with Metzlers wet or dry.I push my big heavy bagger to it's limits all the time and I'm grinding footboards on corners but the Metz stick like glue :smoke
They handle great in all weather,that's why I'm running them and that's why the cops are running them too.
If you put on a set be sure and post a review after a couple hundred miles with them.

Moved On / My Own Choice
25th October 2005, 19:35

I believe it to be equal or superior in my experience...

and I believe there is a difference in profile which allows the bike to turn in quicker, making it feel a little lighter and more willing to carve

which is why I've systematically always changed out my dunlops for metzlers on my Harleys and then stuck with the Metzlers.

Turbota
29th October 2005, 02:28
Rob ...

Since you have an 04, you probably already know that you can increase the size of the rear tire by 1 size and put a 160 / 80 -19 on the back.

This 160 / 80 -19 size limits you to 3 different tires:

Dunlop Elite 3
$ 114.05 + shipping

Metzler 880
$ 127.14 + shipping

Avon Venom AM42
$ 134.00 + shipping

The cheapest place I have found all 3 of these tires is at: http://www.americanmototire.com/
(The prices above are from this vendor)

RedRider
29th October 2005, 19:30
Thanks for the link, Ron, and everybody else's input as well.

At this point, I have decided to go with the Metzeler 880's.

When I get them, I'll post my riding impressions.

Again, this forum has proved to be a valuable wealth of knowledge for Sportster fans!!!

rider1951
29th October 2005, 20:30
Just curious.

Thanks,

Fred

I have about 8900 miles on my bike and the front tire is in need of being replaced soon. The rear looks like it will go another 3000-4000 miles easely. I'm leaning toward the 880s myself.

Uquackmeup
29th October 2005, 21:24
I swore I’d never run a set of Metzeler tires again after running them on my Ducati Monster. They were the Z-4’s. When I bought my Sportster, it had 880’s on. Although sensitive to air pressure, once set properly, I have never had any traction problems. They stay hooked up under spirited riding conditions and do not track on road irregularities. I’ve used Pirelli’s on several Ducati, and swear by them. One of my buds that runs the Ducati ST4 touring site claims the Avons are the way to go. He’s running them on several bikes as are many of his club mates. Apparently, the Avons are sensitive to air pressure, too. They like it up around 40psi. I only run 32f/36r on the Sportie with the 880’s. If I run more, the rear ice skates a bit. Just my experiences…

AZbiker
29th October 2005, 22:15
I personally run ME880's. I can't believe NOBODY mentioned Bridgestone BT45 Battleaxes. They run a dual compound, hard in the middle, soft on the sides. A lot of riders over on the cafe sportsters yahoo group swear by them. If I had anything but a stock 883 motor in my bike, that's what I would run.

Y2K
29th October 2005, 23:43
I only run 32f/36r on the Sportie with the 880’s. If I run more, the rear ice skates a bit. Just my experiences…

Depends a lot on the load they have to carry.
I run 40 front and 48 rear on my Electraglide now and tire life is better than when I ran 38/40.Heavy bike and I weigh about 260.

Y2K
29th October 2005, 23:47
I have about 8900 miles on my bike and the front tire is in need of being replaced soon. The rear looks like it will go another 3000-4000 miles easely. I'm leaning toward the 880s myself.

Just thought you might like to know ,Latus Motors stocks Metzlers and has the lowest prices on them anywhere in the Portland/Vancouver area.;)
Y2K:smoke

Sportster Girl
29th October 2005, 23:50
Just helped my new boss put a 200mil Metzeler on the back of his 1800 VTX.

We're going riding tomorrow, so I should have a verbal report from him to post soon regarding performance, if not wear. We're riding some twisties.....:D

bullittt
2nd November 2005, 18:30
[QUOTE=Turbota]Rob ...

Since you have an 04, you probably already know that you can increase the size of the rear tire by 1 size and put a 160 / 80 -19 on the back.

This 160 / 80 -19 size limits you to 3 different tires:

is the rear Metzeler 160/80-16 or did i screw up?

bullittt
2nd November 2005, 18:34
i ahve found these two and can does anyone know the difference and which one for a 2004 1200 c ......I do have 12' rpegressive shocks will that matter?

METZELER ME880 160/80B-16 REAR GL1500 $211.95 $127.14

METZELER ME880 180/60HR-16 REAR GL1800 $239.95 $146.44

bullittt
2nd November 2005, 18:37
also found this :
24319) $136.95 Metzeler ME880 160/80HB16 Rear Tire #1422300 Mfg.#: 1422300

at this site: http://www.accwhse.com/metzeler.htm#Tires%20street

Moved On / My Own Choice
2nd November 2005, 18:40
i ahve found these two and can does anyone know the difference and which one for a 2004 1200 c ......I do have 12' rpegressive shocks will that matter?

METZELER ME880 160/80B-16 REAR GL1500 $211.95 $127.14

METZELER ME880 180/60HR-16 REAR GL1800 $239.95 $146.44

I think the 180 would be too wide (not to mention a bit short)....

The only potential problem I would see with your shocks is if you go to a taller tire, then you'd have to worry about potentially rubbing the underside o the fender.

K

Moved On / My Own Choice
2nd November 2005, 18:42
also found this :
24319) $136.95 Metzeler ME880 160/80HB16 Rear Tire #1422300 Mfg.#: 1422300

at this site: http://www.accwhse.com/metzeler.htm#Tires%20street

DON'T BUY FROM THEM, DON'T DO IT, DON'T DO IT, DON'T DO IT!

1. They totally f#!@#$d a Marine in my family when deployed.
2. IF you have any problems with them (and they get so many reports they no longer accept feedback from the BBB) you'll be screwed as they will not help you.

THEY SUCK!!!!!

K

bullittt
2nd November 2005, 18:59
Thanks.....screw um!

What do the letters mean......i think i have the numbers down pat......
1st #= width
2nd #= height
3rd # rim

Moved On / My Own Choice
2nd November 2005, 19:11
Thanks.....screw um!

What do the letters mean......i think i have the numbers down pat......
1st #= width
2nd #= height
3rd # rim

160/80 - 16

160 = 160mm width tire
80 = height of tire - I BELIEVE aspect ratio meaning 80% of width (160mm) or 128mm, but I'd have to measure one to be certain.
16 - rim diameter in inches (why inches when the others are metric, dunno).

I believe the alphas between width and rim size a speed ratings

H - speeds up to 130 mph
V - speeds up to 149 mph
Z - speeds up to 149+ mph
W - speeds up to 168 mph

MAYBE B or R is Bias Ply or Radial???

IT's all useless to me, cause I'm not gonna see 130+ on anything I ride anyway...

K

bullittt
2nd November 2005, 19:15
Thanks..............i have an m880 on the front after getting 7 k out of the OEM .. i went to a 90/90 and like ti alot.

bullittt
2nd November 2005, 19:16
didn't finish!.............i got 10k out of the oem on the rear and am now going to the m880........so they match up.... someone said to not mix tire types. and i do like the m880 front