PDA

View Full Version : V&H straighshots anyone?

JOE05XLC
12th January 2005, 19:12
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and it looks like a lot of useful info. I've got a '05 883C and am looking to add new pipes along with the SE A/C. I have a few questions for those of you that may have the V&H straightshots. How do you like them? Do they sound good or are they too loud? Did your leave the optional baffles in or take them out? Performance? Pro & Cons? Etc...Etc...Etc...

Just looking for some answers before I fork out the cash.
Thanks for the help in advance.

JOE

Shu
12th January 2005, 19:35
The V&H's sound like most feel a typical Harley should sound. I'm sure you have seen many bike pass you by with Straightshots and that you have heard their tone. The quality and fit of Hines pipes is great. To baffle or not to baffle is a personal choice. I will tell you from experience that if you unbaffle the SS's you are going to feel a big loss in performance in the low to mid rpm range. Personally, I liked the sound of my V&H's best with the baffles in when mine was an 883. But as a 1200, I didn't like the performance I was getting out of them.

Best performance gain out of a set of pipes per dollar you can get are the CycleShack slipons or SE's. The SE air cleaner is going to give you more than enough airflow and is a good buy bang for buck.

Confused89
12th January 2005, 20:03
you are going to feel a big loss in performance

So very true. I had no performance with the V&H on my bike. They did not have baffles, but they sounded awsome.

I traded them for a set of SE II slip ons.

JOE05XLC
12th January 2005, 20:13
Yeah I've heard a few bikes with the V&H's and they sounded great but they were of bigger CC's than my 883. Just wasn't sure if the sound would be any different with the smaller motor.

For instance with my Jeep Wrangler, I have the little 2.5L and had put a Gibson highflow exhaust in and had the small rumble at idle but when I got on the gas it sounded like a rice burner and was so freakin' loud I couldn't stand it. It just wasn't the same sound as a highflow exhaust on a 4.0L Jeep. So I am curious if that will hold true with the smaller motor on my bike vs the larger motors.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Shu
12th January 2005, 20:21
Yes, typically the 1200's have a deeper tone with larger diameter exhaust systems as they can fill the volume of the exhaust better.

jag1
12th January 2005, 20:59
I have a set on my '04 883C. They sound and look great. I feel I gained a little in performance also. It is pretty hard to teel without a dyno because you go from a stock pipe to a loud pipe. Your mind can play tricks on you thinking you gained some performance. All in all I love the pipes. I'm not one for 2 into 1 pipes or slip ons I like the beefy look of the straight pipe though.

Barry Clark
12th January 2005, 21:27
you are going to feel a big loss in performance

So very true. I had no performance with the V&H on my bike. They did not have baffles, but they sounded awsome.

I traded them for a set of SE II slip ons.
I bought my bike and they came with the straightshots. The baffles were out of them and they did ran like crap. I ordered the baffles and reinstalled them. WHAM! It runs frickin' great.

SoCal-Cruisin
12th January 2005, 21:28
Guys,

I've got the V & H Straight Shots on mine as well. I love the sound and the look they give my bike. If only they fit better. :( My buddy had to stretch the muffler to fit over the head pipe. We beat on 'em pretty good as well. It was getting late and we were doing the work at a friend's house 2 hours away so I didn't get the time to really get too far into it. I called V & H and they told me that there may be a chrome ridge on the head pipe but I am certain there was not. Besides, that would not explain why the muffler diameter was smaller than the head pipe. The heat shields do not even reach the muffler so the clamp is exposed and since they do not fit together properly the mounting points do not line up. I guess if you do get them you should test-fit them before installation. Do you guys think its possible that they packaged the wrong mufflers with my head pipes? Did anyone else have any difficulty getting them to fit?

Later,
W.

Barry Clark
12th January 2005, 22:37
Guys,
Do you guys think its possible that they packaged the wrong mufflers with my head pipes? Did anyone else have any difficulty getting them to fit?

It is possible but I am accustomed to doing that with exhausts. I don't have nearly the experiece with bike exhausts that I do with car, but I will have to run with the assumption that they are fit together very much the same. On the two bike exhaust systems I have installed, the pipe had to be stretched to meet the header. They were both V&H's but, like I said, this was inline with what I had seen all my life with car exhausts. This was so to the point where a pipe-expander was at ready even before we had the boxes open.

ESCOBAR
12th January 2005, 22:56
<--------------------------------------------me myself i like me the samsons cannons!!!!!!!!! :clap :clap :clap

:tour ESCO :tour

Shu
12th January 2005, 23:05
The muffler's front is notched so that it will expand an go on to the headpipe. Make sure you loosen the muffler clamp all the way, then push the muffler onto the headpipe....see these instructions.

http://www.vanceandhines.com/download/D345IN.pdf

mikeLI_77
12th January 2005, 23:06
my bike had the straight shots on it when i bought it without baffles. it was a little too loud for me so i reinstalled the baffles and it is better not by much but i can tell the difference. i also let my friend ride it without the baffles in and he said he could feel the difference without the baffles of the loss of power at low end. after i put the baffles back in the bike seemed to take off faster and better.

pquirk
12th January 2005, 23:06
My '04883C has 'em. I had no problem with the installation and the fit is perfect. I left the baffles in and they're still WAY louder than stock and louder than the SEs, but not too loud for the neighbors (unless you crack the throttle to pi$$ of the old bag at the end of the block :rolllaugh ). As far as performance, I lost some, but I'm still dialing in my stage 1 mods so I'm not going to blame the pipes. IMO there isn't a better looking set of pipes out there and they're considerably cheaper than some of the alternatives when you factor in that they come with heatshields.

arby
12th January 2005, 23:27
I have them on my 04 883C. With the baffles. Love the look and sound, but the wife says they are a little to loud. I say it's my bike and they stay just the way they are. :tour
Bob

mountbkr
13th January 2005, 00:30
Vance and Hines for me to sound great not too lound not too soft :tour :shhhh

Gone
13th January 2005, 02:35
I have them on my 883 w/the baffles and it sounds great to me. It gave me the "Harley Sound" I was looking for.

Barry Clark
13th January 2005, 04:04
after i put the baffles back in the bike seemed to take off faster and better.
Exactly. ;)

sportsterdewdles
13th January 2005, 04:30
I have a 1200c with doherty power pacc an v&h straight shots. I installed a pair of big city thunder baffles an I noticed an increase in pull from 2nd through 4th. Very happy with sound too.

JOE05XLC
13th January 2005, 15:32
Okay thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated! Looks like I'll be ordering the V&H's reall soon and I'll make sure I leave the baffles in.

JOE

Shu
13th January 2005, 15:36
I have a 1200c with doherty power pacc an v&h straight shots. I installed a pair of big city thunder baffles an I noticed an increase in pull from 2nd through 4th. Very happy with sound too.

Here is something interesting that I haven;t shared with too many before right now. My brother and I have the exact conversions. And at first, we had identical accessories (Straightshots, SE air cleaner, etc.) The bikes ran identical. We rode tested them many times and it was scary how perfectly matched the bikes were. After I dyno'd my bike and had ridden for a while and noticed a problem with reversion when just cruising around, I replaced my Straightshots with a Thunderheader and all of the sudden, my bike would pull aways from his. I have posted my dyno sheet comparing the Thunderheader to the Vance and Hines several times on here so I won't post it again. Anyway, he then replaced the stock baffles in his Straightshots with a the Big City Thunder Thundermonster baffles and I am amazed at how much mid range he gained back. I lost alittle bit of power when I installed my Forcewinder, but after several mods to it, I feel I have gained it all back again.

The Thundermonsters are very impressive (at least in our application) at increasing the mid range torque. But they are a lot louder too. If you go to their website, you'll see how they are built and will probably doubt how they could work well, but in our real world test, they are a proven winner.

scooter
13th January 2005, 17:12
I have V&H SS on my 04 1200. I have tried the V&H “quiet” baffles and the Thunder Monsters. The V&H “quiet” baffles sounded real deep and nice at idle but were wimpy sounding (to me) while cruising. The quiet baffles also took some performance away as they really restrict the exhaust. The Thunder Monster were LOUD. I like loud and those were too loud for me. They would irritate the other riders I cruise with and I got dirty looks while at streetlights. I didn’t notice any performance gain compared to the original baffles but that might be because I couldn’t hear myself think when I had those things in. I tried no baffle and in my opinion that was the worst sounding and poorest performance. Needless to say, I re-installed the original baffles that came with the Straight Shots. I think they sound the best out of the baffles I have tried. I had SEIIs on before the V&Hs and I noticed the SEIIs had a little better midrange power but the V&Hs seem to breathe a lot better a higher RPMS and they have a real “hot rod” sound. I got decent Dyno numbers with the V&Hs too.

mountbkr
13th January 2005, 17:59
http://www.directparts.com/

$436 this price included shipping :wonderlan

jrkazar
13th January 2005, 18:17
$399.00 Free Shipping

http://www.gopartsdirect.com/street/item2003.asp?ItemID=4479&Category=17&MFG=VANCE+%26+HINES&SubCat=&Placeholder=0

jag1
13th January 2005, 20:01
$399.00 Free Shipping

http://www.gopartsdirect.com/street/item2003.asp?ItemID=4479&Category=17&MFG=VANCE+%26+HINES&SubCat=&Placeholder=0
I have a set of Straightshots HS's on my '04 883C. The set I got are longer than the set that's in the picture. What's up with that?

Shamdog
13th January 2005, 21:42
WOW...Do I feel better after reading this thread.

I have V&H Straight Shots and run them without any baffles at all. I absoutly LOVE the sound and so do my neighbors. I don't know what you guys think is too loud but these are perfect for me. Since I bought the bike this way, I never had any baffles to compare the power to. But, after reading all the mechanical threads here, I figured I must be losing some low end power. I saw the Big City Thunder ad in American Iron (with a Sportster on the cover, no less) and bought a pair of their "Thunder Monsters" after speaking to them at length. They're promising 10/12 HP back in the low/mid range. We'll see.

I received them yesterday and looked at them and then it dawned on me...Why didn't I just buy the V&H baffles? A quick check of the internet and I found them for $24.99...much less than the $79.99 I paid for the monsters. I was starting to get that old sinking feeling when I came accross this thread and saw that some of you had them and were happy. Whew, do I feel better!!!

I'll put them on this weekend and report back with my impressions. I'm sure I'll feel it, I'm just wondering if it'll be worth the price.

Stay tuned...

PS - About the sound, my neighbor has a 1992 1200c with Sampson pipes. His bike sounds real good...until I start mine. There's no comparison. His sounds like a Harley but the pitch is too high. Mine is so much lower and meaner that he just hangs his head.

I wouldn't trade that feeling (or my V&Hs) for the world!!!

Barry Clark
14th January 2005, 01:31
Shammy:

I did like the loud but I could feel in the throttle that I was not getting all she had. Without any carb work, I got an instantaneous low-end kick when I bolted the baffles in. I was shocked. I had no idea that Sporties ran like that with so little work. No-baffles is for stoplights and I don't like to hang around those all that long.

I paid $20 a pop for the baffles from Vance & Hines.

Nightboy
15th January 2005, 21:29
I have the V&H Straighshot HS pipes for my SO's 04' 1200r. From a performance standpoint they will be better than stock no doubt, and can be tuned(with different baffles)to adjust backpressure to give good performance. They will not give as much performance as a good quality 2-1 pipe will give, but can be relatively close if you spend some time tuning them.

As for the 883 motor, this may be a different ball game altogether. We are talking about a significantly smaller build. They look great,sound great too, but back pressure could be severly lacking now.

Shamdog
16th January 2005, 15:04
Ok - I'm back from the big road test of the Thunder Monsters in my Straight Shots.

First, let's not forget that I was running open pipes and we all know that's no good. Since I bought my bike that way, I really don't have a comparison of performance/sound with the stock V&H bafles.

That being said...OH MY GOD, it's a whole new bike. Buy 'em...Now!

The sound stayed pretty much the same - maybe a few decibles less, but still loud with a very low growl...especially when you get on it. However, the blatblatblat of the pipes sucking back in when you come off the throttle is gone, which is a good thing.

The performance is fantastic. After a couple of test/warm-up runs, I did a few power shifts and I swear I thought the front wheel was gonna come up! After a little more testing, I found that the wheel won't come up but the front end does lift so much thet it gets a little squirrly 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. I couldn't test further because I was almost at 70mph going into 4th (in an extremly short time) and thought that was enough on city streets.

My bike now pulls so hard that I'm reconsidering all the other engine mods I was looking at to get more power (85HP). Since this bike is basically stock except for taxes paid with the Straight Shots, I should be at about 65HP. I'm not sure I need (or can handle) the 85 HP mods. Much cheaper this way. So the answer, for me at least, is YES the Thunder Monsters were worth every penny!!!

Shu
17th January 2005, 15:34
Shamodg,

That is a good explaination of the difference between open drags and ones with a good set of baffles. The ThunderMonsters can be installed in four different positions in the straightshots and each position will give slightly different performance. The big increase you feel is the dramatic increase in torque in the 2000 to 4000 rpm range, as peak HP actually will most likely be about the same. Glad you are happy with your new baffles:)

turk okten
27th January 2005, 02:24
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and it looks like a lot of useful info. I've got a '05 883C and am looking to add new pipes along with the SE A/C. I have a few questions for those of you that may have the V&H straightshots. How do you like them? Do they sound good or are they too loud? Did your leave the optional baffles in or take them out? Performance? Pro & Cons? Etc...Etc...Etc...

Just looking for some answers before I fork out the cash.
Thanks for the help in advance.

JOE
Hi im Turk please dont buy those pipes, i did they did not sound right
buy 2 1/4 inch big cannons from samsom with baffels long shots

XL-883R
27th January 2005, 02:56
I got my Straightshots really reasonable on ebay. They sell them on there with a buy it now price that can't be beat. I think mine were $375.00 including shipping. Almost any pipe will work fine if you know what your doing. My local independent definately knows what he's doing. I think V&Hs show the best workmanship of any pipes on the market.

Shamdog
27th January 2005, 03:02
And I love the sound!!!

JWA
27th January 2005, 17:57
I got mine from Eastern Performance. Through eBay last year they were 297.00 plus shipping. Currently, they 'em for 319.00! Haven't seen a better deal yet anywhere else. If you live near Maryland, you can go to their shop and grab 'em to avoid shipping charge. I have bought a few things from these guys and they are top-notch.

http://easternperformance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=16803-16805-16811X&Category_Code=exh-van

pquirk
27th January 2005, 21:58
I got mine from Eastern Performance. Through eBay last year they were 297.00 plus shipping. Currently, they 'em for 319.00! Haven't seen a better deal yet anywhere else. If you live near Maryland, you can go to their shop and grab 'em to avoid shipping charge. I have bought a few things from these guys and they are top-notch.

JWA, you have to keep in mind that the Straightshots for rubber mounts are more expensive. It's a supply and demand issue, the pre-'04 pipes are cheaper.

JWA
27th January 2005, 22:08
Right, I didn't think of that. Very true.

NYSPORTY
29th January 2005, 00:21
I have them on my bike without the baffels and the bike runs great no complaints from me i still dont think its loud enough

Gone
10th May 2006, 14:53
What size Big City Thunder Baffle is used for the V&H Straightshots.

bjfoien
10th May 2006, 14:56
Just got a set from Cyborg Cycles for $309 plus shipping. Good guys.

h-drider33
10th May 2006, 16:19
I have a set on my '05 883C and absolutely love 'em. I get compliments on the pipes when I park all the time. The pipes look big and the chrome is perfect. Up here in Canada, the stealer wanted $350 plus taxes for SEII so I decided to pay the extra $200 and get what I really wanted. Love the sound, but am willing to try the quiet baffles, if I can get them cheap...real cheap, just to deepen the sound.

The best compliment I got was on Sunday from a rice burner buddy. He was behind me on the highway and had to back off beacuse I was too loud!:clap :roflblack :smoke

jlcrss
10th May 2006, 16:35
I got mine from easterperformance as well. I have an 03 custom. My set was 299 shipped. I love the exhaust they give the commanding bark that I was looking for when I got on the throttle. I like to explain it as the sound that makes people run for there lives when you get on it. He He He.....but I usually take pleasure in other peoples discomfort.

Fackler Rebel
10th May 2006, 17:58
Hey y'all:

Got V&H straighshots on my bike. Got mine used, so they were already on it. Love the sound and my bike hauls butt. Had it to 112 with me and the wife on it and it had more! get compliments all the time on how good they look. Pretty sure they have the baffles in.

Ride to Live and Live to Ride

Reb

95xlcustom
11th May 2006, 00:31
i had ss on my bike and i like the look and sound but they sucked in the performance department. i just put them back on to get my sticker and i could not get them off fast enough and get the hell bents back on.

Gone
11th May 2006, 03:57
I've got the SS HS's on my 883 and I LOVE them. I got them from EasternPC on ebay last year too(Great Price and service), and I think it was the best thing I have got for my bike. They sound awsome and when I am out riding with my buddies with big twins my bike sounds like the big bike and they are all jellious of the sound.
-Jason

Shu
14th May 2006, 02:22
What size Big City Thunder Baffle is used for the V&H Straightshots.

I don't remeber. Just measure the Inside Diameter of your pipes and then call Big City Thunder. Or just call them and tell them what pipes you have and they will send you the right size. The folks at BCT are very helpful. The baffles are LOUD though, so keep that in mind as many areas are cracking down on loud pipes.