PDA

View Full Version : Tranny lube...

jdbostic
23rd October 2005, 04:48
No not that kinda tranny lube...the kind for our bikes.

In the process of doing my handlebar change (50% complete :clap) I managed to spill every lube imaginable (brake fluid, tranny fluid, oil). So before I get her back on the road I need to refill these. I also changed my oil today (some kinda of Castrol V-Twin with "active synthetic blah blah") and I have nearly a whole quart left. Can I use this in my transmission? I would rather not have to buy sport-trans if I can get by with it.

And while I am at it, can I use any kind of DOT 5 brake fluid? Or does it have to be specifically for motorcycles?

Chuck
23rd October 2005, 14:58
I only use HD Sport Transmission Lube. I wouldn't mix or use anything else.
Dot 5 is dot 5 as far as I know. I did buy mine at a bike shop but I don't think it is specific for bikes. Should be an easy question to double check at the parts counter.

willprevale
23rd October 2005, 15:00
I still wanna know how you mangaged to lose all yer fluids doing a handlebar change?

You're running an '05. Use any good synthetic and you'll be fine but if yer just topping off, go with what MoCo put in it.

jdbostic
23rd October 2005, 15:24
I still wanna know how you mangaged to lose all yer fluids doing a handlebar change?

You're running an '05. Use any good synthetic and you'll be fine but if yer just topping off, go with what MoCo put in it.

Well...see I am kinda impatient...so I did everything I could yesterday and that included unhooking my old clutch cable without plugging in my new clutch cable. Therefore an opening in my primary. Without thinking about it I was turning the handlebars to get to bolts, etc. and it all spilled out. :doh

Next, changing the brake fluid my plastic tube was way too big and half of it leaked out. :doh

And I spilled some oil during my oil change while I was taking the old filter off. :doh

I'm a doof!

willprevale
23rd October 2005, 15:41
You may be one of the few that might want to reconsider your decision to do yer own wrenching...:roflblack

Just kidding. Mistakes are how we learn. Note my post from yesterday... :doh

Chuck
23rd October 2005, 15:56
Glad I like my bars. :smoke

jdbostic
23rd October 2005, 16:27
Actually it sounds like I've kinda goofed, but at least I got the tank off without spilling any gas :D

All in all this has (so far) been one of the easiest changes to my bike. Easier than putting on my saddlebag supports (just more time consuming). No major problems...yet...

willprevale
23rd October 2005, 17:32
, but at least I got the tank off without spilling any gas :D

Who sez miracles don't happen?:laugh

IronMick
24th October 2005, 04:21
I "have heard" that SportTrans id "just" 10W40.

I use Mobil1 15/50 in both engine and transmission.

Your Castrol V-Twin Whatever should be good to go.

Yes, any DOT 5 brake fluid is good. There are none specific to bikes or cars or trucks or whatever,

Takingabreak
24th October 2005, 04:30
Hi.

Since you bike is most likely still under warranty, use only the Sport-Trans fluid.
Harley checks in case of a trans failure. they will send in a sample to see what you have in the trans.

As to the brake fluid, there are three types in general use today, DOT 3 DOT 4 &DOT 5.
Wile 3 & 4 are water saleable oil based, 5 is silicone.
You can mix 3 & 4, BUT NOT WITH 5.
Your bike uses DOT 5 and is the only one you can use.

jdbostic
24th October 2005, 05:29
Picked up some DOT 5 today at Advance Auto Parts. Will pick up Sport Trans later this week.

Thanks for the info guys!!

Roadster_Rider
8th January 2006, 04:14
They cant not honor your warranty because you used another oil, just so long as it meets or exceeds their specs your fine.

johnric
10th March 2006, 18:00
hi! break fluid dot 5 is sillicone based and you dont need to change it! but if you use dot 5.1 who is glycol based (have simelar boiling point 270 celsius) you have to totaly flush out your system before driving! Dot 5 is very expensive (since is sillicone based) but dot 5.1 is`nt)
... I use dot 5.1 on my sportster with no problems! but be careful of the paint! :-)

supercharger
11th March 2006, 03:31
I "have heard" that SportTrans id "just" 10W40.

I use Mobil1 15/50 in both engine and transmission.

Your Castrol V-Twin Whatever should be good to go.

Yes, any DOT 5 brake fluid is good. There are none specific to bikes or cars or trucks or whatever,

One sniff of Sportrans will tell you its gear oil. Very pungent smell to it.