PDA

View Full Version : 500x16 Tires on a Forty Eight

Dodders
30th September 2012, 10:36
I'm looking to swap the stock tires on my 48 to more of a Vintage look. Have looked through this section and seen a few people running Cokers and I think Firestone & Avons also. I'm told the Coker Beck 500x16 works fine front and rear (thanks Rog48) but wondered if anyone else was running 500x16's (Avon or Firestones) has any advice on whats works.......or what doesn't work?

trainman
30th September 2012, 11:41
I am running Coker Vintage Firestone ANS 5.00 16 rear and 4.00 19 front on my 06 XL883/1200. I just had to build 1"
extensions for the front fender mounts.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/trainman_photos/DSCN2254-1.jpg

Dodders
30th September 2012, 17:28
I am running Coker Vintage Firestone ANS 5.00 16 rear and 4.00 19 front on my 06 XL883/1200. I just had to build 1"
extensions for the front fender mounts.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy285/trainman_photos/DSCN2254-1.jpg

The Firestone looks good.

Thanks Trainman

dead mac
1st October 2012, 00:53
note that he has also done a chain conversion which frees up some space between the drive line and the fender as this has been an issue in other swaps.

trainman
1st October 2012, 01:31
note that he has also done a chain conversion which frees up some space between the drive line and the fender as this has been an issue in other swaps.

I ran the tires with the stock belt before I converted to chain with no clearance problems using the 5.00 16 Firestone ANS.

5.00-16 Firestone ANS Motorcycle

Tire Size 500-16
Wheel Diameter 16 in.
Sidewall Style Blackwall
Tire Construction Bias-ply
Tire Diameter 26.40 in.
Section Width 4.49 in.
Tube Type

dead mac
1st October 2012, 02:25
cool, thanks for clearing that up

Sportster Spence
1st October 2012, 13:49
Dodders give me a ring, I can give you the info you need!

Dodders
2nd October 2012, 00:02
Cheers guys and thanks Spence..........will call you in the morning.

Dodders

Dodders
2nd October 2012, 20:17
Well the deed is done. Have purchased a fine pair of 500x16 Firestone's and will post some pictures soon of them fitted on the 48. Thanks again Spence for the advice on the front tyre. Will post some pictures when fitted.

Sportster Spence
2nd October 2012, 23:20
Can't wait to see them, nothing says Old School Cool like Firestone Deluxe Tires!

Baja_XJ
3rd October 2012, 04:00
How do you guys like the bias ply tires? I love the look and want to put them on my bike but a resource of mine that has to have input in everything I do which is also good at making things sound bad so I wont do the mod because they personally dont like them says that they dont last long, ride rough (bounce), cant accelerate or slow without locking it up, and want to slip easily in corners. All of which combined would make a bike unrideable hahah but I was looking for some real world feedback from people who actually have bias ply before I bite the bullet and buy a pair

Sportster Spence
3rd October 2012, 10:36
How do you guys like the bias ply tires? I love the look and want to put them on my bike but a resource of mine that has to have input in everything I do which is also good at making things sound bad so I wont do the mod because they personally dont like them says that they dont last long, ride rough (bounce), cant accelerate or slow without locking it up, and want to slip easily in corners. All of which combined would make a bike unrideable hahah but I was looking for some real world feedback from people who actually have bias ply before I bite the bullet and buy a pair

Baja, first thing I'd say is they're not as bad as you think or are being told!

That said compared to a modern tire, especially a radial they're pretty crap!

Like most things retro they hark back to a time when technology was a lot more basic, so if sharp handling, high speed stability, super long tire life and low road noise are your main concerns then they're probably not the tires for you. However I'd say consider the following points

Most are 'S' rated for speed (112mph) ample for most Harley guys

Most Harleys don't get used in the rain so wet weather handling is a bit of a non issue

Sure they create a bit more road noise, but most won't hear that over their pipes anyway.

Finally, THEY LOOK FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!!!!

Only you know the type of rider you are and what kind of riding you do, all I know is for me they work perfectly well, so if I can't keep up it's because you're riding too fast, I'll just hang back, look good and take in the view! LOL

I hope this helps

Rog48
3rd October 2012, 14:06
Yes they are bias ply, that and the tread pattern are the 2 "old technology" things about them. But they use modern materials and construction techniques to make them. Im comfortable on mine. Watch the whole vid, there was well over 2 hours of that twisty stuff, I picked 5 minuets of it to fit in the vid.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-APD8uW6FJZg/T1u9B_orpJI/AAAAAAABNws/piLli3vNvUo/s912/IMAG0261.jpg

Little ride on the Harley - YouTube

Orangeade
3rd October 2012, 20:19
THEY LOOK FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!!!!

+1 (x100) :laugh

OP: Where did you source your tyres? Considering these or Avon SMs myself and looking forward to seeing yours.

Dodders
4th October 2012, 21:13
Firestones now fitted and pretty pleased with the look. Handling is still to be fully tested as only got in 10 miles or so.......but felt no different from the stock tyres on the short journey home.

Some pictures here....hopefully!!!

48 Tyres - a set on Flickr

Rog48
4th October 2012, 21:28
Nice. I think youll like em

Orangeade
4th October 2012, 21:35
Exactly what I want -- they look fantastic. Is that 500x16 front and rear? Can I ask where you got them?

Dodders
4th October 2012, 21:56
Thanks Rog and thanks also for the advice a while ago.

Thanks also Orangeade....and yes, both front and rear are 500x16. I'm UK based so managed to get them from Northants Tyres over here: http://www.northhantstyres.com/vintage-tyre-search-final/50016.html

Not cheap tho'.....ouch!!!

Orangeade
5th October 2012, 08:20
Thanks for that Dodders. I'm in the UK too and was looking at Northants Tyres. Their Avons are cheap but the Firestones blow them away for looks -- as Spence says: friggin awesome! :D

Sportster Spence
5th October 2012, 10:08
Dodders they look BADASS!

I always thought that Firestones would look good on a 48, but now you've confirmed it.

Look forward to seeing them in the flesh when we meet up.

Dodders
5th October 2012, 16:42
Thanks for that Dodders. I'm in the UK too and was looking at Northants Tyres. Their Avons are cheap but the Firestones blow them away for looks -- as Spence says: friggin awesome! :D

Cheers Orageade, Will let you know how they handle once I've put a few more miles on them.

Whereabouts are you in the UK?

Dodders

Dodders
5th October 2012, 16:45
Dodders they look BADASS!

I always thought that Firestones would look good on a 48, but now you've confirmed it.

Look forward to seeing them in the flesh when we meet up.

Thanks Spence,

I have to say I'm really pleased with them so far.

Definitely up for meeting up......hopefully next weekend if we get some half decent weather:tour

Orangeade
5th October 2012, 17:04
Whereabouts are you in the UK?

Dodders

Currently Norfolk, but we're moving back to Sussex within the next couple of months - probably Worthing.

Bobber1979
8th October 2012, 21:53
They look brilliant, very cool

Dodders
9th October 2012, 12:20
They look brilliant, very cool

Thanks Bobber.

I am hoping they're gonna perform as good as they look but with Winter settling in I may have to wait until the better weather returns to truly test them out.

Watch this space for updates.:)

JohnnyRNab
5th December 2012, 15:23
Just a quick question for Dodders, did they fit on your 48 without any problems? I'm thinking of getting a pair for mine after I chop the fender rails and such. Worried about the rains here though, being in the tropics the monsoons are a bit of a bitch!

Dodders
8th December 2012, 07:47
Hi Johnny, Yep they went on fine......just a straight swap and was even able to use the original inner tubes. On the rear they're not quite as wide as the stock tyre but they fill the rear fender a bit more. I still have plenty of clearance though and I reckon (if I had a rear seat) I could take a pillion without any issue. On the front no issue either. I was originally running it without the front fender but now have it back on. The front fender now really hugs the tyre. I was going to say there's not even enough room to slip a finger inside.........but that sounded a bit wrong! :laugh Will post a couple more photo's with the front fender on so you can see what I mean.

Dodders
8th December 2012, 08:39
Firestones now fitted and pretty pleased with the look. Handling is still to be fully tested as only got in 10 miles or so.......but felt no different from the stock tyres on the short journey home.

Some pictures here....hopefully!!!

Have now added a couple of photo's with front fender back on.

48 Tyres - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/16193628@N04/sets/72157631692389288)

Rog48
8th December 2012, 13:21
My front was pretty close too. I ended up spacing the fender up a little by putting a couple washers under each fender bolt. When the tire picks up a rock from my driveway the sound it makes as its wedged between the tire and fender is pretty knarlly .

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AmCdBKL0FkQ/TxHNR1uzehI/AAAAAAABNSE/EtMVWyzC_Y4/s912/IMAG0172.jpg

JohnnyRNab
10th December 2012, 15:21
Cheers fellas for that. Really helped out alot!!! Going to start with the other projects on the bike while the monsoon season continues here. :)