PDA

View Full Version : Clarification of XL Forum Premier Subscription

bplinson
25th October 2005, 18:34
I want to clarify something about the XL Forum Premier subscription via PayPal.

This subscription is for one year as an XL Forum Team Member. Every year, on the anniversary of your XL Forum Team Membership, your PayPal account will be AUTOMATICALLY charged the subscription rate unless you cancel before hand. If the subcription rate is ever rasied you will still be charged only the rate that is was when you initially subscribed, unless of course you cancel you PayPal subscription and it subscription rate has gone up since your initial subscription.

This is all explained in the email you recieve from PayPal once you subscribe.

To cancel your subscription YOU need to login to PayPal and cancel it per the instructions in the email PayPal sent you when you intially subscribed. If you no longer have the email it is not too hard to figure out how to do it once you login to PayPal.

If you cancel your PayPal subscription before your one year XL Forum Team membership is complete I will not cancel your XL Forum Team membership until it expires unless you request me to do so. This means that if you really want to, you can cancel your subscription immediatly after you subscribe.

This has caught some people by surprise in the past and I have immediatly refunded their money when they have requested. I have absolutly no problem doing this.

[CAUTION - RANT MODE ENGAGED]

Now...if you do not follow the instruction I just provided and or the instructions provided by PayPal in the email verifying the begining of your subscription PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO THREATEN ME WITH LEGAL ACTION.

This is an email I received today. Names (except for mine) have been removed to protect the guilty:

Hello Bert,
Please do not charge to my pay-pal account without permission.
Please refund this charge.
I no longer own a sporty and no longer subscribe to your boards.
Do this again an I will pursue this legally.

First off I do not charge anyones PayPal account.

Second, it saddens me that people today feel the need to immediatly throw around the phrases like "I will pursue legal action" etc... for every little petty thing that comes up.

I believe that I have shown in the last three years that The XL Forum has been running that I am an honest person. Yes I make a little bit of money by running this website but I also give back a lot. I have given away thousands of dollars worth of prizes, I have given hundreds of dollars to members in need (and they were not even paid members!), I have hundreds of dollars to a member who is pursuing a racing career. I plan to continue to do these thing in the future as I can. I have never asked for a thank you and don't expect to get one. I am able to do these things because of the people who help support the website by signing up for XL Forum Team Memberships If I was a dishonest person it would have surely shown within three years and this website would have dried up and disappeared. I also have NEVER solicited anyone to pay for a subcription to The XL Forum. I do provide information on how to subscribe to those who ask. If these facts do not show my honesty and sincerity then I do not know what will. An unhonest person does not give money away..at least none that I have even known.

BTW - Tell me how many other forums give a way prizes, give funds to members who need them (even when they are not subscribed members). Go ahead list them in this thread.

I do not say this to lift myself up. I give from the XL Forum subscription fund because it makes me happy to give and I do not need anyone else to give me praise for doing this.

If you wanna sue me then sue me, but please do not send me empty petty threats via email. Put you money where your mouth is, hire an attorney and send me a summons to appear in court.

Sorry for the rant but somethings, like people threating me with legal action without having grounds for it, just get the best of me and I have to vent.

[/RANT MODE DISENGAGED]

Finally, I want to thank all of you who have made this, not only the GREATEST SPORTSTER forum, but the GREATEST MOTORCYCLE forum on the Internet, those of you who are XL Forum Team Members and those of you who are regular members. It is you that have made this forum what it is today...not me. In two or three more days we will hit over 1,000,000 hits on this website for just the month of October. This is a NEW record and I am proud of that, but again it is you who have made that happen.

mikeabe
25th October 2005, 18:46
Sorry, that after all you do, you have to put up with that kind of baloney. We appreciate ya.

bplinson
25th October 2005, 18:47
And before the person who threatened me posts my email reply to him/her here it is word for word:

I did not charge your PayPal account, you charged yourself.

If you had taken the time to read the email PayPal sent you when you subscribed you would have seen that you will be automatically charged until you cancel your subscription. To cancel your subscription please login to PayPal and cancel it.

I, of course, will happily refund you money and by the time you read this your refund will have already been processed. There is no reason for you to threaten me with legal action; 1) because I am an honest person, 2) I don't need your money, 3) because you have no legal grounds to pursue legal action against me.

It is sad that we are living in a world where the first thing a person does is threaten another with legal action before talking it through and finding out the facts. In over 2 years of running my subscription program you are the only person to threaten me. But if you truly would like to pursue legal action I will gladly provide you with the name and address of my attorney and you may contact her.

The XL Forum will always be available for you when you decide to come back!

Have a great day!

whispanic
25th October 2005, 18:47
That email was ghey!

Adios
PROUD MEMBER OF THE XL FORUM

Whispanic

kjbsporty
25th October 2005, 18:49
The more I time I spend on this forum the more I think it is the best out there. I am going to subscribe when I get the money (hopefully next month)

A big thanks to Bert and all that help him to run or moderate this forum.

whispanic
25th October 2005, 19:00
That email was ghey!

So ghey we shoulda poked it with a nanner!:banana

Adios...again

SixMilesFromHell
25th October 2005, 19:12
Bert,

When you deal with a large group of people, you will run across the bad apples. It sucks, but that’s the way it is. I will presume to speak for the majority. We greatly appreciate the service your forum provides. And speaking for myself, I am glad to hear you make a couple bucks for all your efforts. It is your vision and vigilance that keeps this forum an enjoyable place to visit. When I am in a financial position to provide greater support for this forum I will, until then, I appreciate the fact that I am still welcome here.

Thanks,
SMFH

PlanB
25th October 2005, 19:13
Take your meds, Whispanic, or we'll have to put you back in your cage! :D

Bert, I am hoping this is your only incident of this type...this forum (well, let's say it...YOU) have created a masterpiece as far as any other motorcycle forum goes...do a survey and it will be 100%! Kiltbill's recent thread, "XL Forum - What's the Point?" http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=15500 is a sample of how we feel about this forum. Like Grandma used to say, "Don't let one apple spoil the bushel" or something like that! And I agree...this lawsuit threat crap needs to end soon...what a waste of time and money...you answered this person a lot more tactfully than I would've/could've...I read the agreement to the subscription when I signed on, and my only concern was how was I going to remember to deduct it from my checking account this year if it happens automatically? I imagine PayPal sends me a receipt, but if not, it's not rocket science to check your account on there occassionally! I have no idea who this person is, but I feel it was quite rude to leave without saying goodbye anyway, whether to all of us or just to you! This IS a type of extended family, ya know!

nitrosporty
25th October 2005, 19:17
Your reply explains your position clearly, well put! Normally these folk who threaten legal action do so cause thats the only strength they have. Surely legal action (whatever the problem) is the last action to consider, when all else has failed. Wimps, if you ask me.

KC_Sporty_Gal
25th October 2005, 19:31
Hey Bert. Is there anyway we can get an email reminder that our subscription is expiring? I just want to make sure I have money in the bank before paypal automatically pulls the money.

I would love to be able to purchase a lifetime subscription or something.

Wardog
25th October 2005, 19:32
Keep up the good work Bert. For the person that sent that letter to you all I can say is :buddies (thump therapy in the BOP).

cantolina
25th October 2005, 19:45
Hopefully, this makes for 1% or less of the community....

Someone needs to get control of their technology....I'm sure this was put in as a "subscription", which paypal automatically retrieves when the subscription is due....at least, that's the way I have it set up....

whispanic
25th October 2005, 19:46
Hopefully, this makes for 1% or less of the community....

You meet the nicest people on the Xl Forum!

Hehe

newberrykc
25th October 2005, 19:58
Ok, bring on "Legal Begal" aka(MOM) she will straighten this whole thing out. Bring on the legal action, if $30 means that much to him, have at it partner.

Your response was very much to the point...Well put Bert.

newberrykc
25th October 2005, 19:58
Whispanic,

SSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shhhh :shhhh :shhhh :shhhh :shhhh :shhhh :shhhh :shhhh :shhhh :shhhh :shhhh :shhhh :shhhh

:roflblack :roflblack :roflblack

bplinson
25th October 2005, 19:59
Hey Bert. Is there anyway we can get an email reminder that our subscription is expiring? I just want to make sure I have money in the bank before paypal automatically pulls the money.

I would love to be able to purchase a lifetime subscription or something.

KCSG,

Unfortunatly I do not think PayPal gives a warning but they do give a receipt when the payment is made so you do know it has happened.

You could use a calender program to remind you of the date a week or month ahead of time. That is what I do. If you have Outlook it comes with a good calender. I use Sunbird from mozilla.org for my calender since I am a Firefox and Thunderbird user. The only problem with Sunbird is that it does not pop up events like Outlook does unless you open it up. But Sunbird can be integrated into either Firefox or Thunderbird.

Nurple
25th October 2005, 20:04
Hello Bert,
I would like to pursue legal action as well! I spend way to much time on the forum and way to little time doing anything else. As retribution, my people will asking your people for something in the ballpark of 7 figures or a size xxl tee will suffice.

wabiker
25th October 2005, 20:24
....Yep... I agree, that was Ghey..... or was it gehy...or...gay.
By the by...Thanks for the patch Bert... after 12 years Im finally a 1%er. woohoo!!!

Shamdog
25th October 2005, 20:47
Funny, when someone pisses me off, I usually just threaten to kick their ass...no lawyers involved. I hate pussies.

Keep up the good work, Bert. I know you're honest, and I'm all that counts (to me, anyway)

Padre
25th October 2005, 20:55
I have not been a member for that long, but everyone on this board has made me feel totally welcome.

I used to be a paying member on the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club site, and there was so much dissent on that site that 1/2 the members left and started another competing site.

Bert, this is a great site! Don't fret. Those were just empty words.

Denzone
25th October 2005, 21:11
This has been a great site for information and for the small fee I paid to be the member it has been well worth it.

newberrykc
25th October 2005, 21:47
Best $30 bucks I spend, saved big on technical information. You will spend more than $30 at the stealer just to have them tell you the problem. You can get that here...

Along with other things that shall remain nameless. :shhhh

Bikerdude
25th October 2005, 21:54
Funny, I hate pussies

Damn..I Love them!!!:roflblack

Give me the name Bert....it won't happen again...:smoke

I have liberally butchered Shamdogs's quote....and I am not responsible for nuttin!

dooley
25th October 2005, 22:30
I`ve been considering becoming a team member,but I dont have,nor do I want a Paypal account.
Call me paranoid if you wish,but I`m just one of those weird people that does not care for doing financial transactions over the internet,(when I shop ebay,I have a friend make the purchase for me,with his paypal account)and I detest automatic payments of any sort. (been there done that,nothing but headaches in general)
Bert:what,if any, renewal notification is there for those of us who would prefer to pay via personal check,or money order?
It is a shame that this person feels the need to threaten legal action,todays society is far too litigious.It seems that everyone and their brother is just looking for someone to sue.
However,if this person has had problems in the past with automatic payments,the way I have, I guess I could understand his attitude a bit better(even if it was his own fault,for not reading the fine print.)

bplinson
25th October 2005, 22:37
I have not set up any kind of renewal notification but I guess I will have to look around and try to find some software that can do that.

Thanks for the input.

vetteguy
25th October 2005, 22:53
You handled that w/ class Bert, as ussual. It is a shame when someone threatens before even asking. As said before When dealing w/ alot of people there will be bad apples but most of us are good and appreciate you and this site. Keep up the good work! Guy

DustyJacket
25th October 2005, 23:20
I think I'll sue as well.
Spend so much time here, plus I get too many ideas on how to spend money.

Expect my claim for a 2006 Sportser or Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic E-glide....

Good job Bert. I am always happy to support this forum. Plus, I love those how-to videos.

cjburr
25th October 2005, 23:21
Bert, you do a wonderful job and I have had nothing but good times since I joined. When I first joined my membership didn't activate right away so I went through the motions again and everything went fine. I recieved my statement and saw two charges for XLForum, by the time I sent an e-mail to you to see if I was good for 2 years or not you had already sent the refund for the second charge. I have never gotten service like that from an internet type of business and it was a breath of fresh air for me. Thank you again, keep up the good work.
Chris

Shark Doctor
25th October 2005, 23:26
I would, quite frankly, love to meet the attorney that would take on a lawsuit over a $30 issue!!! This would be a truly desperate individual who is really in quest of a life.

I realize it's difficult not to go postal over trivial threats like this. But don't sweat the small stuff. The Forum will endure and if some d---head wishes to challenge your integrity, I will lead the efforts to raise funds for the Forum Legal Defense Fund. I suspect we can interest an attorney of a somewhat more esteemed caliber than the competition!

J

kiltbill
25th October 2005, 23:26
Sadly the Western World has become totally caught up with the I demand compensation, Or I will sue, and I will take legal advice, and should you not... then I will have no option but to take matters further, immeditely take legal action etc, etc.

Whilst there are times when people have been ripped off, miss sold, or blatantly lied too, there are also lot's of situations that just occur from people not reading what they, have bought, signed, subscripted too etc... and what is even more depressing is that they are the ones who shout and scream the loudest... and sickingly they are often the ones who get the claim, compensation etc, not the poor souls who have been genuinelly ripped off and have nowhere, or don't know where to turn.

I have to deal with this every day, and I do my best to get it right, but I am sick of the situation we find ourselves in. So well done Bert for pointing out the fact that it was his lack of knowing what he had done, rather than the forum ripping him off.

But personally, I don't know the guy... but I do think the forum is better off without him, and I would be delighted to donate his refund and give it to someone the Team thinks may be a worthwhile member. Then you can send him an email saying subscription has been refunded and thank you for being responsible for arranging the payment for another to join the forum free of charge!

Not only will that confuse him, it will no doubt cause him a few sleepless nights, he deserves all he gets.

carl2124
25th October 2005, 23:37
You handled that w/ class Bert, as ussual. It is a shame when someone threatens before even asking. As said before When dealing w/ alot of people there will be bad apples but most of us are good and appreciate you and this site. Keep up the good work! Guy
I agree, I need to see how paypal works so I can join also,legal action without first giving you a chance to reply is DULL minded,ban that IDIOT for breaking common courtesy to you, also thirty dollars is hardly a reason to sue anyone,I have pissed that kind of money down a g-string and would not care....

DustyJacket
26th October 2005, 01:28
...I have pissed that kind of money down a g-string....

You pissed down a g-string? :eek

carl2124
26th October 2005, 01:42
You pissed down a g-string? :eek
:doh maybe I meant that thing strippers wear on their leg....whats that called??:roflblack

tonyhds
26th October 2005, 01:45
thats a shame, hopefully this person is man enough to offer you an apology, but I kinda doubt it.

txsporty
26th October 2005, 01:53
There's always one ASSHOLE in the crowd!!!!:frownthre

Keep up the GREAT work Bert!!!!!:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

We all Love Ya Man!!!!!;)

Moved On
26th October 2005, 01:58
I`ve been considering becoming a team member,but I dont have,nor do I want a Paypal account.
Call me paranoid if you wish,but I`m just one of those weird people that does not care for doing financial transactions over the internet,(when I shop ebay,I have a friend make the purchase for me,with his paypal account)and I detest automatic payments of any sort. (been there done that,nothing but headaches in general)
Bert:what,if any, renewal notification is there for those of us who would prefer to pay via personal check,or money order?I don't do PayPal either. I've mailed Bert a check for the past two years. This year he sent me an email when it was due again and I promptly sent him another check (well two weeks later when I built up the courage to ask my wife for her checkbook that is). When we started that arrangement though the website was young only a few hundred people, so I'm kinda expecting Bert to make me pay electronically next year, but I really don't want to do PayPal either.

Gazza

carl2124
26th October 2005, 02:03
I don't do PayPal either. I've mailed Bert a check for the past two years. This year he sent me an email when it was due again and I promptly sent him another check (well two weeks later when I built up the courage to ask my wife for her checkbook that is). When we started that arrangement though the website was young only a few hundred people, so I'm kinda expecting Bert to make me pay electronically next year, but I really don't want to do PayPal either.

Gazza
Hey Bert,send me an address and Ill send a check,or money order,trust is no issue with me,if your willing to do that....

JZRUSA
26th October 2005, 02:35
To cancel your subscription YOU need to login to PayPal and cancel it per the instructions in the email PayPal sent you when you intially subscribed. If you no longer have the email it is not too hard to figure out how to do it once you login to PayPal.

I enjoy this forum, a lot! But, something struck me about the above statement. I use PayPal a fair amount and I have never seen anything in my account that shows you a view of re-occuring transactions configured to your account. So, how exactly do you login and determine them prior to a charge incident? If you can, i think posting those instruction could and would head off a lot of this sort of issues. And, make great thing even better.

Sorry if this suggestion upsets anyone, just want to get a clear understanding - and, maybe help other too as well.

Best Wishes,

kjwrad
26th October 2005, 02:47
Yes the reminder would be very helpful. Especially since I dont always have money in the Paypla account. It is my secret chrome slush fund and only gets money in it when the wife doesnt know about a travel check or covert ebay sales. So a reminder to make sure I have the $30 in there a head of time would be awesome. Great idea KC Gal.

DustyJacket
26th October 2005, 03:23
.......I have never seen anything in my account that shows you a view of re-occuring transactions configured to your account. So, how exactly do you login and determine them prior to a charge incident? ....

Go to My Account, then History, then in the drop-down list choose Subscriptions, then choose a date range of a couple of years.

It'll show active and inactive subscriptions......

cantolina
26th October 2005, 04:30
I enjoy this forum, a lot! But, something struck me about the above statement. I use PayPal a fair amount and I have never seen anything in my account that shows you a view of re-occuring transactions configured to your account. So, how exactly do you login and determine them prior to a charge incident? If you can, i think posting those instruction could and would head off a lot of this sort of issues. And, make great thing even better.

Sorry if this suggestion upsets anyone, just want to get a clear understanding - and, maybe help other too as well.

Best Wishes,

Its definately there....

dabronco
26th October 2005, 04:38
I will become a paying member of this forum as soon as possible. (After I'm sure my roasted generator is replaced under warranty,and I don't hafta shell out another $130.00) I really feel kinda guilty being able to enjoy this GREAT forum for free. Bert, I for one am grateful for what you have created and maintained. I will never bitch at you, only 'suggest'. Oh!, and my lawyer 'suggests' you put the ''who's on line'' list back in alphabetical order!:roflblack

Moved On
26th October 2005, 04:49
Oh!, and my lawyer 'suggests' you put the ''who's on line'' list back in alphabetical order!:roflblackMy lawyer says that if you click on the "currently active" link above "whos onilne" that you'll get a page with people in alphabetical order... you'll even get to see what they're looking at. Kinda like peeking through the door of the ladies fitting room... at least that's what my lawyer tells me...

Gazza

miller
26th October 2005, 05:09
According to paypal, I don't subscribe to the XLForum, I subscribe to Bert Linson. Sounds a little weird when you put it that way:)

Seriously though, to play devil's advocate, maybe the "legal action" guy was just having a bad day (after all, he said he doesn't have a sportster anymore). Don't get me wrong, he handled it like an asshole, buy don't take it personally- you run a great website.
Eric

Moved On
26th October 2005, 05:18
...was just having a bad day (after all, he said he doesn't have a sportster anymore).Yea, that would give me a bad day too :doh

Gazza

Sandman
26th October 2005, 05:52
Ya got a really good website here Bert, hate when you gotta deal with people like that making unnecessary threats when all that is required is a little communication.

I've been thinking of getting a premier membership for awhile, and by golly it's time to put my money where my mouth is! It's about time I jumped on board and helped support this great site....I just PayPal 'ed you my moola....I'm official now! :D

:banana

dabronco
26th October 2005, 14:21
My lawyer says that if you click on the "currently active" link above "whos onilne" that you'll get a page with people in alphabetical order... you'll even get to see what they're looking at. Kinda like peeking through the door of the ladies fitting room... at least that's what my lawyer tells me...

Gazza

Hey that works! I guess I should spend more time clickin' things, and less time flappin my gums! My lawyer has been canned. (If it weren't for lawyers, we wouldn't need lawyers!)

FSZEKE302
26th October 2005, 15:09
Hell, I'd pay 30 bucks a year if I didn't have a Sportster, really cheap price just for the comedy and insight to other lives and areas. Kinda like a combination of Comedy Club, Travel club, and Soap opera. I've already learned what Ghey means, god what an education.:roflblack Thanks Bert.:tour

LegalBeagleMom
26th October 2005, 15:57
:roflblack Well, well, well! Who's making silly threats to legally mess with my boy? Be careful, I'm watching! I'm just like Shamdog...I also kick ass but I do it via the legal system. Can you imagine the lawyer bill for that $30 paypal charge? It would be a whooper! Just to get a lawyer to write Bert a letter would cost a minimum of a couple of hundred dollars and we go up from there. He can come to my office and I'll write the letter for him for discounted rate of $200. :roflblack :roflblack

Shamdog
26th October 2005, 16:15
Thanks for the support, Beagle Mom...I knew I liked you.

Oh, and I'll have to reword that "Pussies" thing.

Carl-04XL
26th October 2005, 17:49
You could use a calender program to remind you of the date a week or month ahead of time. That is what I do. If you have Outlook it comes with a good calender. I use Sunbird from mozilla.org for my calender since I am a Firefox and Thunderbird user. The only problem with Sunbird is that it does not pop up events like Outlook does unless you open it up. But Sunbird can be integrated into either Firefox or Thunderbird.

Bert and KCSG,

Another calendar pgm, (which I use) that does pop-up reminders is Task Plus from Contact Plus
http://www.contactplus.com/
They have both a free and pay version. The free version is plenty good for most stuff. It is easy to add/subtract/edit entries; add/subtract to/from holiday list; put in one time events; save/restore; etc...
It doesn't work with browsers that I am aware of. And it doesn't have a PDA cohort.

Carl-04XL
26th October 2005, 18:02

As Vetteguy said.

Maybe the category: ID 10 T person (put it together:roflblack ) was having a bad day. I know that sometimes when something else p.o.'s me, then I am more apt to be an a**hole to the next person/thing that p.o.'s me. That is human nature, but something that we all need to be aware of.

Maybe you could put everybody into Sunbird and have it remind you a week ahead of time when their year is up. I figure it would probably take about 2-3 weeks to get everyone entered and only a few of your sleep hours per night to maintain. :laugh :laugh

Seriously, Bert you do a admirable job and I'm glad I found this Forum. Met some new friends and ready to meet more.:)

jamman
26th October 2005, 21:23
bert I'll kick his ass for you, just for lettin me hang out , Great site, great people, send me an e-mail were to send you a check , Don't trust companies like pay-pal and e-bay and shit... Thanks dude..

JZRUSA
26th October 2005, 23:10
Go to My Account, then History, then in the drop-down list choose Subscriptions, then choose a date range of a couple of years.

It'll show active and inactive subscriptions......

Hey! Thanks!

Best Wishes,

daesdaemar
26th October 2005, 23:28
That was a good rant Bert... It's fun to rant once in a while, isn't it??? :)

82ndJumper
27th October 2005, 07:14
Gee Bert can I sue you to? I hate to jump on the band wagon but I dont want to be left out. I dont have many friends, Im so lonely.

Hehe Just kidding bert. Thanks for the site.

GOTWA
27th October 2005, 07:20
:roflblack Well, well, well! Who's making silly threats to legally mess with my boy? Be careful, I'm watching! I'm just like Shamdog...I also kick ass but I do it via the legal system. Can you imagine the lawyer bill for that $30 paypal charge? It would be a whooper! Just to get a lawyer to write Bert a letter would cost a minimum of a couple of hundred dollars and we go up from there. He can come to my office and I'll write the letter for him for discounted rate of $200. :roflblack :roflblack

Now that is awesome!

:D

StarGateOps
1st November 2005, 04:54
I joined this forum only recently. I am nobody and only right now, have I found out that there are various levels of membership. I found this forum while I was wading through all the other motorcycle forums on the web. Guess what, I have deleted all their shortcuts. Your site is overwhelming. Why would I ever need another, absolutely everything is here.
People are always quick to throw rocks at those who lead. I have experienced this first hand many times. I have been shot at and missed. :censor at and hit. I am still here and I am certain that you can relate to that.
Thank You for allowing me the opportunity to visit this site and add what good I can to it. There are a lot of great people here and you brought us all together.
Sincerely,
stargateops/Dave/Grumpy in Florida

AZFlyingDiver
17th November 2005, 17:14
Bert, I just signed up for a premier subscription which I never even considered before anywhere else despite being a member of several boards for some time now. But, THIS IS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST MOTORCYLE FORUM ON THE NET. Keep up the good work, cuz you can never get enough thanks.

bplinson
17th November 2005, 17:51
Thanks Anthony. It is always nice to hear that other people enjoy the forums so much.

aswracing
17th November 2005, 17:56
Bert, on behalf of NRHS, we thank you for the fantastic job you do running this forum and we are proud to support it. And for how good you've been to us. You're the man.

GOTWA
17th November 2005, 18:08
Bert, on behalf of NRHS, we thank you for the fantastic job you do running this forum and we are proud to support it. And for how good you've been to us. You're the man.

Now that is high praise indeed!

Thank you for all YOU do around here as well!!!

:clap

JBBOOKS
30th August 2006, 12:41
I consider myself to be a careful consumer. However, I had no idea that by joining this forum that I had authorized automatic withdrawls from my paypal account.

I got the email this morning and I was shocked. I requested a refund from Burt, and then went to paypal and cancelled the subscription I didn't know I had. Hopefully, there will be no problem resolving the issue.

As a suggestion, perhaps you should consider making it very clear to those who chose to support the forum that they can expect this annual withdrawl. A clear email from you in addition to whatever paypal is or is supposed to send may prevent this kind of misunderstanding in the future. Obviously, I'm not the first person to get blind-sided by this issue.

Anyway, I enjoyed the forum while I was here. Ride safe all and enjoy your XLs.

JBB

wabiker
30th August 2006, 13:48
..I dunno .... It was pretty clear to me when I signed up.

kiltbill
30th August 2006, 14:16
When you join up it is made pretty clear as far as I can see. In the time I have been on here, I have only ever seen one other post on this topic.

There will be absolutely no problem with Bert refunding you're money, you really just needed to PM him directly and he would have resolved the isuue as soon as he was aware.

Anyway, sorry you are not sticking with the Forum... But best wishes and ride safely...

crackers
30th August 2006, 14:42
made clear to me by reading the conditions on here and paypal

cheer
crackers

jamman
30th August 2006, 23:02
I understood and I'm a dipshit..

Rob Henderson
30th August 2006, 23:17
Burt

If you don't provide me with a new fully NRHS-ized sporty immediatly...I will pursue legal action......(it won't accomplish anything...but hey.....a guy can but try)

:shhhh

SportsterBart
30th August 2006, 23:24
It was crystal clear and plain as day for me.

Bart

dooley
31st August 2006, 02:37
Yep,and one of the reasons I paid by money order.

sfxtech
31st August 2006, 03:13
I'm one of those people that doesn't read everything before clicking next, or OK, hell for all I know I owe Microsoft my first born for all of the EULA's that I just clicked "I agree" to. My point is, I expect it to be a recurring charge, it is a subscription and all. Do you have to call the cable company every month to let them know you want to continue service? Geesh... c'mon.......it's only 25 bucks, and if someone is going to get all butt hurt about it, it's a simple e-mail to Bert and the problem is fixed.

NoBoZoS
1st September 2006, 15:52
It was also crystal clear... plain as day... plain as the nose on my face...when I signed up too...and if you had looked at your paypal transaction you would have seen the "subscription" you purchased.:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh :doh:doh:doh:doh :doh:doh:doh:doh

Matt
2nd September 2006, 01:32
WTF! Could that butt head have 3 slammed East bay mafia caddies? Sounds like the same type. Bert- best bucks I've ever spent on a Sporty was this forum. I like it here and I for one hope you make enough money to keep it going! My $25 was understood and I advocate joining the team sometimes. Bill me on paypal every anniversary! Matt

hogpreacher
16th November 2006, 19:44
Yeah Bert,
You have been more than reasonable when I have been ignorant of policy and procedure. Thanks for this fantastic website and the information it provides.
~Webb~

ozark
22nd December 2006, 22:12
[CAUTION - RANT MODE ENGAGED]

Now...if you do not follow the instruction I just provided and or the instructions provided by PayPal in the email verifying the begining of your subscription PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO THREATEN ME WITH LEGAL ACTION.

This is an email I received today. Names (except for mine) have been removed to protect the guilty:

First off I do not charge anyones PayPal account.

Second, it saddens me that people today feel the need to immediatly throw around the phrases like "I will pursue legal action" etc... for every little petty thing that comes up.

Hi Bert,
I deal with a lot of people over the Internet and in person. The vast majority are great. Unfortunately the occasional jerk really stands out in your mind. Don't sweat it. I call people like the one you mentioned "Bar stool lawyers". When they send threatening emails it just shows their ignorance.
Incidentally, I would like to go on record as saying that your communications were accurate and easy to understand. Judging from the message you received from the ex-member I suspect that he is not only ignorant but possibly a little slow also. Hopefully his Mom will keep him away from the computer before he gets himself in trouble.
QUOTE:
"10% of the people you have to deal with are sick, lame, lazy or crazy at any given time. Don't try to cure them. Just hope that they go away."
UNKNOWN

brucefromtaz
25th December 2006, 15:27
Life Goes On....
Merry Christmas...

brucefromtaz
04883c

Terp84Alum
25th December 2006, 15:33
Hello Bert,
Thank you for charging my pay-pal account with my permission.
Please keep this charge.
I own a sporty and wish to subscribe to your boards.
Forget to do this again an I will pursue this legally.

Matt
25th December 2006, 21:58
Bert- you misled me! All this time I thought it was Bert Plinson. Now I find it is Bert P. Linson! My attorneys will contact you concerning the pain and suffering I have incurred as a result. LOL Matt

1stGenRex
26th December 2006, 13:02
still waiting for my xlforum.net patch...maybe i should pursue legal action...

or just nag till bert sees one of my posts that says i'm still waiting for it

hoosier xlc
26th December 2006, 13:47
Bert,

I for one know you are a fair and honet person!! I don't really know of any other online communities that have so many members who really try to behave themselves and get along for the most part, I credit this to you and the mods for being FAIR and looking out for everyone's best interest. I was unaware of paypal automatically taking funds to renew my subscription, but it's probably because I didn't read a disclaimer or didn't read a post explaining this (not even sure if either exists). I do know that if I didn't want to subscribe again all I would have had to do is contact you and you would have taken care of it honestly, like you do with all things associated with the forum. Here's an example of how great this place can be, I didn't know my subscription was about to run out, but my wife did and she signed me back up, she said she knew this is my favorite site even though I don't own a Sportster anymore. The friends I have made here could never be had for the low subscription price it costs to be a premium member, the knowledge I have gained from here would have costs WAY MORE than the subscription price, the support you get here can not be bought for the subscription price, hell Willy P's stories are worth the price it costs to be a member here.

What i'm saying is, I will stand behind you and this forum!! If it will make this one particular ex-member happy I will personally reimburse this member his or hers subscription fee, now what does that say about this place?? Bert you and the mods do a great job keeping this place Fair and Honest, keep up the good work!!!

Hoosier.

1stGenRex
26th December 2006, 13:49
Bert,

I don't really know of any other online communities that have so many members who really try to behave themselves and get along for the most part,
Hoosier.

I know of one, an i am a contributing member there as well...and i have had a shor membership with at least 3 forums that werent as cool as this one and the 2 forums i am active in the most

ken01976
26th December 2006, 14:01
You stole fizzy lifting drinkS!!!

bplinson
26th December 2006, 15:51
Yes, patches are bit late. I ran out and just got a new batch in. A bunch will be going out this week!

milmat1
26th December 2006, 16:32
BERT:
Keep Up The Great Job That You Do !!! (or i will persue you legally :smoke )

There a reason this is the Best damb Forum on the Net !! :clap :clap

I recently had a Question, Because i had to cancel my PayPal account. My concern was for when my subscription expired. BERT answered my question and that was that !

If you have a problem PM Bert and he will fix it.

Or he will shock you with the foil beanie until your sensless!!! :banana

GREAT JOB BERT !!!

wayne9452
14th March 2007, 01:40
" Second, it saddens me that people today feel the need to immediatly throw around the phrases like "I will pursue legal action" etc... for every little petty thing that comes up. "

Ain't that the truth, use to be you could just kick the s--t out of someone when the stepped too far over the line, Now days you'ld be sued or thrown in jail for attemped murder if ya poke em on the chest...:spank

buckhorns
14th March 2007, 02:25
Bert, the XL forum has become a part of my life since I joined. I have just recently begun to understand what it takes to maintain a great site like you have this one. I commend you for your thoughtfulness and knowledge. Thank you and all of the other members that have given me so much information , humor , and points to ponder.

I would persue " Legal Action " to keep this site ( XL Forum ) , intact.

My 3cnts worth.

squareballbuddy
4th April 2007, 20:40
hey bert, i'm real satisfied. your website is the jam, no kidding. if you really love me, please, please, please, let me change my username to squareballbuddy. i absolutely hate my current username. thanks again. jon

Little_Dave
29th May 2007, 18:04
Hi, Bert, so what do I have to do to apply? Little Dave

acenorm
29th May 2007, 18:21
Hi, Bert, so what do I have to do to apply? Little Dave

Go here:
http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/payments.php

Best Regards,
Norm

Goshawk
16th June 2007, 22:23
What is the difference between a member and an active member?

bplinson
18th June 2007, 08:08
Active members have logged on within the last 180 days

Goshawk
18th June 2007, 09:12
Does members mean they are all dues paying?

Sandman
18th June 2007, 10:57
A member is anyone who is registered here at the XL Forum. A Team Member is someone who has decided to help support this forum by having a paid subscription to it. A team member's user name will appear in red, and will have the words "Team Member" which appear below their name. There are NO dues. It is completely voluntary whether or not you decide to support the xl forum through a paid subscription. Hope this helps.

Little_Dave
27th June 2007, 16:45
Oh! I'm devastated; I thought as a Team Member, I would get free dancing girls! :D Ah well; back to talking to my cat!:doh

giveme2wheels
19th September 2007, 00:33
Bert,

Thank you for being a stand up guy, I have appreciated this website and the massive resource it is. I hope to again buy a Sporty oneday, so I am going to duck in from time to time to "lurk".

Keep up the great work with the XLF!

Jay
aka giveme2wheels

paul618
14th April 2010, 19:20
I"m not a joiner, Bert, but I look forward to joining xlf.

When I go to the page it says,

...Select Payment Method:: To pay for your subscription,
...please click the order button next to your preferred payment
...method and follow the instructions on the following page

But the only method there is paypal, and I dont use it (bc if I
had one I might abuse it). I have a Visa debit card.
Can you make that an option or post an address for a
paper check? I didnt see it anywhere in this 100 po thread,
but sorry if I missed something.

Thx.

tfarmer49
14th April 2010, 20:29
Well Bert, since you brought it up.............a few months ago my subscription was renewed automatically as per the instructions. At about the same time I had just been hit with an unrelated PayPal renewal that was not authjorized by me. All this caused some unrest in the household so I cancelled my XL Forum subscription thinking I had a paid up year to enjoy it and decide on the renewal later. The cancellation was submitted within days of the notice of my paid renewal. To my knowlege, there was no refund made to my PayPal account and I didn't expect one. However, my membership priveliges were cancelled immediately. To my way of thinking I should have been able to enjoy another year of membership or a refund. Truth is I would prefer the paid year of membership.

I was going let all this slide until I read this post. Now I'm curious about your position and my understanding or misunderstanding of the forum's policies.

doc
14th April 2010, 20:46
Tfarmer, it would probably be best to PM Bert at Bplinson. He'll work it out for ya I'm sure.

bplinson
14th April 2010, 21:04
Well Bert, since you brought it up.............a few months ago my subscription was renewed automatically as per the instructions. At about the same time I had just been hit with an unrelated PayPal renewal that was not authjorized by me. All this caused some unrest in the household so I cancelled my XL Forum subscription thinking I had a paid up year to enjoy it and decide on the renewal later. The cancellation was submitted within days of the notice of my paid renewal. To my knowlege, there was no refund made to my PayPal account and I didn't expect one. However, my membership priveliges were cancelled immediately. To my way of thinking I should have been able to enjoy another year of membership or a refund. Truth is I would prefer the paid year of membership.

I was going let all this slide until I read this post. Now I'm curious about your position and my understanding or misunderstanding of the forum's policies.

I wish you would have contacted me about this immediately. I was unaware that your XLF Team Membership had been deactivated.

I have reactivated it.

tfarmer49
17th April 2010, 21:20
Wow! Thank you, Bert, and you are absolutely right. I should have PM'd you immediately instead of indulging an underserved resentment. :frownthre

Please allow me to take this opportunity to thank you for this great forum. I have saved tons of dough, avoided countless mistakes and made many great improvements to my '08 Sporty as a direct result of frequenting your forum. I appreciate your efforts and you can count on my Team Membership renewal here in a few minutes.

Godspeed,
Terry Farmer

MinerMan
4th May 2010, 12:32
thx for that thread, very usefull.

shadecorp
4th May 2010, 16:05
I must have missed the part about automatic renewal.
BUT thats a good thing for me,
as I usually put it off until.
Thanks for Your hard work.

Tyberius
1st August 2012, 16:04
I have a question about the automatic renewal.

How long does it normally take from payment, to the coloring of the username? Does it occur automatically, or is it a manual process? Is there a schedule to which it conforms, or should the user be proactive and request the update?