PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storage - Leave Gas in Carb?

prbetts
16th November 2004, 15:28
OK, I'm getting closer but not there yet. Still no salt, we dodged the snow last weekend, so I'm still commuting.
I've got the link from old board on winter storage and plan to follow most of it including the gas stabilizer. One unanswered question.
What are your thoughts on leaving gas in the carb vrs shutting the petcock and letting the gas completely burn out once the bike is parked.
I suspect I'll be taking it out at some point during the winter if we get clear roads and a nice day. Salt be damned, I'll wash it.
-Peter

Bikerdude
16th November 2004, 15:52
Shoot...all I do is stick my battery tender on and sitck some stabil in the tank and fagetaboutit! So one day in Jan. the sun comes out, and it's not Freezing out, I hit the road for a few miles. Never had any problems...
Good Luck

Darhawk
16th November 2004, 16:21
Before my living in Texas days, I lived in NE Pennsylvania. During the winter months, I'd let the bike set in the garage with 1/2 or more of gas in the tank and the battery disconnected and removed (stored in the warm house). In the Spring I'd put some dry gas in the tank to remove the condensation buildup in the tank, do an oil change, and reconnect the battery (which may need a quick charge). In the coldest of winters (had an unheated garage), I sometimes would put the battery back in and kick her over. Never had a problem, other than a tired leg sometimes.. :D

Shu
16th November 2004, 16:22
I do what bikerdude said too.

However, if I were to actually put the bike into storage and put Stabil int he tank, I would just run it long enough for the Stabil/Fuel mix to fill the float bowl and then let it sit.

xl1200r
16th November 2004, 17:49
I put some stabilizer in the tank, then run the bike for a bit, then I turn the petcock off and run the bowl empty. Best of both worlds.

Shu
16th November 2004, 18:14
Here is a link to a decent post on how to store your bike.

http://groups.msn.com/toddsharleypix/tow3.msnw

It also has some other sections that apply to Sportsters that are pretty decent reads as well.

collinsb
16th November 2004, 18:53
An oil/filter change, battery tender and Stabile works for me for the few short winter months!
Billy

SoCal-Cruisin
16th November 2004, 20:21
When I lived in Canada I had a Yamaha for 4 yrs. I drained the tank and ran the carb dry for 3 winters with no problems. I left the gas in one winter with no stabilizer and had big problems in the spring. Just my experience.

Later,
W.

Broncodog
17th November 2004, 05:32
:hmmm Back east I would use Darhawks method, easy if ya want to fire it up sometime during the winter.

willprevale
17th November 2004, 09:45
Just keep in mind that today's boutique gas mixes are only good for about three weeks before they begin to get gummy. :feedback

gwcrim
17th November 2004, 14:46
I agree with an oil change. There are acids that build up in oil and WTF, that way it's ready to ride in the spring. But I've never done anything with the gas. Hell, I don't even turn the petcock off.

RatBastard
17th November 2004, 18:51
My understanding was an oil change in the Spring. Moisture from condensation will create acids and water in the oil during the Winter. Probably wouldn't hurt to let her sit in (cheap) clean oil over the winter also to remove the acids related to combustion gases. I would think bowl would gunk up if it was drained, even if it tasted stabilizer first. My thought is thats why you add it to the gas tank but don't drain the tank afterwards. It needs to be kept liquid. But what the hey, I'm between bikes and in Cuba we didn't have winter.

gwcrim
17th November 2004, 19:14
Does moisture in oil actually create acids?

RatBastard
17th November 2004, 21:21
I personally don't know. The water will probably react with the oil, it's additives and the interior of the engine somehow. We need a chemist or mechanic to answer that.

RatBastard
18th November 2004, 03:21
In a recent thread named 'Winterizing' IronMic recommends draining the carb.

gwcrim
18th November 2004, 14:30
Doug Mansfield owner of the XL List is a mechanical engineer. We were discussing winterizing once and he explained that the combustion acids were bad enough to warrant fresh oil BEFORE winter. I kinda was thinking more of the water condensation but Doug was very emphatic that fresh oil in the fall was the proper method.

I've known Doug for many years now. I trust him.

Again, as for draining the carb, it doesn't hurt to leave fuel in it for 4-5 months if everything else is in good condition. Then again, it won't hurt to drain it out. As for fuel stabilizer, 2-3 gallons of gas will be just fine on it's own for a brief winter storage. Heck, I've let cars sit for 1-2 years and they started up and ran fine.

twinsporty
18th November 2004, 21:46
Ast to draining the carb, the reason for doing this would be to avoid any gummy deposits from the gas "carmalizing" after sitting for extended periods. Adding stabilizer is supposed to prevent that so it shouldn't be necessary to drain.

The problem with draing is that very small orifices (such as are in a carb) will retain small amounts of gas due to the surface tension of the liquid on the metal. As a result you may get a gummy deposit even if the carb is drained.

With todays technology (both gas and stabilizer) your best bet is to add a little stabilizer, let the bike run for a couple of minutes ans store.

willprevale
18th November 2004, 21:49
Under no circumstances. Today's gas has additives that will gunk up your carb in less than a month. Close the petcock and run it dry.

twinsporty
19th November 2004, 12:46
Hey Will

My problem is that you will probably never truely run it dry. There are very small orifices in the carb (as you know) that will hold liquid due to surface energy (or capillary action to be less technical). If you feel the gas is going to gunk up the carb, even with stabilizer in it, runing dry could be just as bad for those key wee little passages.

I use stabilizer and have never had any problems but I haven't tried draining so maybe I'm just lucky.

ironxl
2nd January 2006, 21:23
An A&P mechanic told me that if you want fuel that will last through the winter use 100LL avgas. I have seen airplanes sit out in the weather for years and the gas in the tanks still didn't go stale. Anybody else ever heard of this?

IronMick
3rd January 2006, 01:44
There is no good, technical reason to go to exotic items like av gas. Just put in fuel stabalizer, run it for 5 minutes to distribute it thruout, then patiently wait for spring.

fixerdj
3rd January 2006, 13:47
interesting thread to me, i have never lived in a place where storage was an issue. it does get cold here in georgia, but every couple weeks at least, i can get a little ridin in.

jlcrss
3rd January 2006, 14:47
I put Stabil in mine rode it for a while then topped it off with more fuel and stabil. Stabil is some amazing stuff....I have had luck with it even if I didn't use it initially. I didn't store my snowblower properly and I poured some stabil in it and it cleaned it up nicely. Just a word of caution....STABIL WILL EAT THE CRAP OUT OF YOUR PAINT....be extremely carelfull putting it in the tank don't get any on the gas tank.

Gone
3rd January 2006, 18:53
interesting opinions . . . . .
I normally dump the oil every 5,000 miles and I use a battery tender year-round.
In November I roll it into the garage, change the oil, connect the Tender,
& toss a cotton sheet over it...... for 6 months downtime last winter season;
no problems or issues yet, but I've only been doin' this for 5 years.

I don't treat my gas-mower, or snow-thrower, or 6KW gasoline generator,
or leaf blower, or line-edger any different (other than I change the oil in the generator before winter);
no problems or issues yet.

When I had a "summer" car and a "winter" car I didn't do anything special to either one;
no problems or issues.

'course, around here the winters run between zero-32 degrees, with long spans in the 'teens,
so maybe the problems are more prevalent in lower temps.

flag888
3rd January 2006, 22:15
100LL is great stuff and very resistant to extremes of cold.

cantolina
3rd January 2006, 22:17
OK, I'm getting closer but not there yet. Still no salt, we dodged the snow last weekend, so I'm still commuting.
I've got the link from old board on winter storage and plan to follow most of it including the gas stabilizer. One unanswered question.
What are your thoughts on leaving gas in the carb vrs shutting the petcock and letting the gas completely burn out once the bike is parked.
I suspect I'll be taking it out at some point during the winter if we get clear roads and a nice day. Salt be damned, I'll wash it.
-Peter

Burn it off, or simply drain the bowl...

That's what I WOULD do, if I did winterize... :)

(after reading thru, I like Shu's idea better....less chance of corrsion, perhaps..)