PDA

View Full Version : Fork Removal: Important

IronMick
14th January 2005, 05:32
If you want to remove the fork sides from your pre-1986 [i do not know for certain the date range for this] XL you need to know this.

The top of the fork side is tapered and crammed into the top triple tree. It will not just turn out or drop out. The procedure is:

first turn the fork top bolt out about 1/4". No more or this procedure may wreck the threads. Use a heavy hammer [i use a small sledge, 3 to 5 lbs] and a block of wood [2X4]. Hit it reasonably hard once or twice to push the fork side 1/4" out of the tree.

It may then come out or you may have to repeat. I had to repeat, but mine had been in there since 1980.

IronMick
16th January 2005, 00:37
Also, be sure to release the pinch bolts first.

flathead45
16th January 2005, 00:45
Also, be sure to release the pinch bolts first.
oops !!!! did ya forget

helps to get the front off the ground too :p

IronMick
17th January 2005, 04:58
oops !!!! did ya forget

helps to get the front off the ground too :p

"Bless me, for i have sinned!"

Ya, i forgot - for the second one. I was excited that the first was so easy once i knew the right technique. Did not wreck anything, fortunately. I did have the front wheel off the ground. I have made that error in the past; i try, unsuccessfully sometimes, to not repeat mistakes.

just1pepsi
21st January 2005, 04:32
Good tip, I pulled mine off a while back when I decided on a whim to throw on some 6 overs (grasshopper style) that I had lying around, but they came right out, I just loosened up the pinch bolts and hit it with a light mallet.

willprevale
21st January 2005, 04:36
Good tip, I pulled mine off a while back when I decided on a whim to throw on some 6 overs (grasshopper style) that I had lying around, but they came right out, I just loosened up the pinch bolts and hit it with a light mallet.

Hey just1pepsi, Didja do the intro thing? I don't recall seeing it. :welcome aboard.

just1pepsi
21st January 2005, 04:56
^just did, Basically just a story of my bike and where it came from.. I'm not good with introductions. ;)