PDA

View Full Version : Single or Dual Disk?

txsporty
15th January 2005, 05:31
I'm thinking about changing my single disk fronk to dual disk..

Do the duals help stop that much better??

Is it fairly easy to do? :D

Pro or Cons??

Thanks

Darhawk
15th January 2005, 05:35
Don't really know Mike, but see a lot of folks doing it. Most I see have also changed out the front wheel from spokes to some sort of mag look. I almost think it's as much look as performance...........folks with a little too much money on their hands. :D

blueglide88
15th January 2005, 05:35
I've been thinking about the same thing. You can NEVER have too much braking power.

mikeLI_77
15th January 2005, 06:55
your braking power will only go as far as your tires will hold you on the ground. if you want to upgrade the brakes maybee you should think up getting a better tire that is softer and grips the road better so it can handle the increase in the braking.
i have thought of this also but i have a chrome mag wheel in the front and if i add the extra calliper it will hide most of the wheel so i will stick to the way i have it. what about upgrading to a 6 piston to try to help stopping power? would that help?

stevo
15th January 2005, 07:34
dual discs if ya ride HARD......

I've got dual stock single spots with braided lines, dot 4 fluid and an 883 master cyl and it's still not enough....

I'm goin to dual Brembo 4 spots...with braided lines and dot4 :yikes

mountbkr
15th January 2005, 12:04
:flag_penn Well Having a 1200r with dual disc on the front I would say that 2 disc certainaly do stop you better than one . Any one who is riding an older Sport lets say 68 or 69 with the old style brakes might be able to tell you how much better they stop these days. My broth had a 68 Sport and he attest to the dual stoppers that now you can actually stop when and where.. :bump

maddog
15th January 2005, 12:40
Why not start a little less expensively? Go to Floating Rotors and Steel Braided Cables..They will definitely feel improved and that might be enough to make you happier with your brakes. And that wouldn't be a waste of money because you can continue to upgrade from there.

txsporty
15th January 2005, 13:49
maddog

What is the benefit of "Floating Rotors"?? Why would Steel Braid be better then stock, other then looks?

xllent01
15th January 2005, 14:10
maddog

What is the benefit of "Floating Rotors"?? Why would Steel Braid be better then stock, other then looks?
Floating rotors disipate heat faster than a regular rotor, less
heat means better braking response. All racers use floating
rotors nowadays. Steel braided lines dont expand and deliver a firm and steady flow versus the rubber ones that expand and heatup
while brakes are being applied.
Dump the rubber and start with the braided lines and your brakes
will feel alot stronger :yikes

txsporty
15th January 2005, 14:21
xllent01

Thanks, I'll be looking into it!! :D

Shamdog
15th January 2005, 14:34
Ok, now I'm curious...How much stopping do you guys do? I've never had a problem with my single disk/rubber line setup. Maybe because I just cruise the country back roads and once I'm going I just keep going. A few stop signs but they're few and far between.

Am I missing something or are you guys riding hard in the twisties?

barry1967
15th January 2005, 14:36
Having had both a 92 sport w/single and my 04 w/dual I can honestly say I really like having two stoppers up front. I can deffinately stock much faster. I will also be trying the front stainless line soon but at 137.00 plus tax, GEEZ

Barry Clark
15th January 2005, 14:51
I was actually planning on doing the same thing. The only uncharted territory for me would be switching out the right-hand fork slider to accomodate the second caliper. The rest I am pretty sure I will not have too much issue with.

Well, the other thing is finding a spoke wheel like the one I have that is tapped for dual disk (Yes, I actually want to maintain the look I have going.)

Any one see one, let me know.

txsporty
15th January 2005, 15:03
Shamdog

More then once, I've had the S&^T scared out of me by not being able to slow or stop fast enough!!! Yes, I ride my Sporty hard and with 240 on it, it takes a bit to stop it!!! :yikes

Barry Clark

You should be able to find a hub in the J&P catalog!! Or else where..

willprevale
15th January 2005, 15:52
Check this out. I havent' tried them yet but it's in the near future plans

http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/apps/application%20guide-harley.htm

Barry Clark
15th January 2005, 16:01
Barry Clark

You should be able to find a hub in the J&P catalog!! Or else where..

Found them in Custom Chrome; a little pricey, but hey, I expected no less.

No complete wire wheels in J&P. I tried Jireh, but they were ultra-pricey.

willprevale
15th January 2005, 17:41
:feedback I'm hoping one of the many tech heads in here will pick up on this thread and give me some input regarding the Lyndall brakes re: the site I posted.

For that reason, I'm bumping this up. :bump

txsporty
16th January 2005, 03:52
Check this out. I havent' tried them yet but it's in the near future plans

http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/apps/application%20guide-harley.htm

Will, they only have up to a '99 for the sporty!!! Unless I missed something!!

flathead45
16th January 2005, 04:08
get an 4 leading shoe drum brake , that will stop ya better than a twin disk set up (exept when wet) and it will add a lot of unsprung weight that you don't need

ya I know , some day I will have new stuff to ride , but by then it will be old stuff

stevo
16th January 2005, 04:18
OK a few points with brakes...

The stock pads are one of the best on the single spots....followed by SBS or EBC.....there's a heap of others around but they're the top 3 I've found thru personal experiance.

Can't coment on the Lyndalls... havn't used 'em

Braided lines will improve your brakin feel and reduce fade caused by heating of the fluid and softening of the rubber lines.

Floating rotors are only an improvement when you are brakin heavy for long periods ... ie: race or somethin like Deals gap...

They dissipate heat a little quicker and they don't distort as much when heated excesively, as in racing......

Not many people ridin harleys are gonna be able to pick the difference and they are not worth the $$$$$ unless you ride HARD, often......

The Stainless Steel floaters don't work as well as one piece cast rotors anyway.....floating cast are the duck's guts for racin or playin REAL hard.

Havin said that I'm running floating rotors :) SS at the mo but going to custom cast floatrs later... ;)

txsporty
16th January 2005, 05:58
Thanks For the insight Stevo!!

Nightboy
16th January 2005, 06:16
Some good advise here. I know my wife perosnally loves the brakin ability of her 1200r with the dual system up front. We did some small upgrades to the system: Installed SS brake lines front and rear, added some grippier pads and synth fluid. It stops on a DIME for her. Stock rotors and calipers are actually of a very good quality and do a great job.

marco883
16th January 2005, 08:14
Installed HD 44090-00 Dual disc kit, and changed fork oil with SE. Used rubber lines because not sure what handlebars gonna stay with. Big improvement in stopping, needed now after 1200 conversion did last weekend. After break-in I'll check out handling difference, as 883 didn't notice any. I ain't no knee-draggin MotoGP rider tho.

wickedsprint
16th January 2005, 08:56
All I know is my 1200S will stop friggin insanley hard if you grab a handful...likely harder than any bike I have ever owned.

gordy
16th January 2005, 14:23
I have found that SBS pads & Stainless lines are all most riders need to improve their stock brake system

gordy

willprevale
16th January 2005, 14:36
A lot cheaper than those Lyndall kevlar pads too.

rottenralph
16th January 2005, 14:55
I have a 6 piston jbrake up front and my bike stops as fast as the tire can handle. As far as the look it is a taste thing. I have more braking surface than a dual disk setup so It ought to stop atleast as well. I never liked the look of the duals but that is aesthetics and not everyone cares. This is an easy change alternative. It requres the remioval of three bolts. Two in the fork leg and the one on the brake line. They stop great and look cool. I just floated araound ebay for a while and noticed that the newer Harleys have a different front brake. Looks like a four piston. That might be a solution also. They don't cost a lot for a used one there and they might actually be better than the pre new brake design.

wickedsprint
16th January 2005, 17:37
You may have twice the pad surace area..but unless you got some monster sized discs..how can you have twice the dissipation area? I think I'll prolly just get some btter pads and stainless lines cause when they do get warm they fade a hair.

willprevale
16th January 2005, 18:32
Those SBS pads. Available most anywhere?

rottenralph
16th January 2005, 19:43
I have never reached the point of brake fade and I used to ride pretty hard. If you are a professional rider canyon carving with the best of them then your brake pads just wont do. I almost ran my buddy over on his fzr600 when I was riding behind him through the twisties with those exact sbs high performance pads on my stock caliper. That was a few days before I spent the 400 bucks for my 6 pistons up front and 4 piston in the rear. These 6 pistons are way better but heat build up has not been a factor that has affected me and I used to ride like a maniac. I have yet to experience brake fade that was nioticeable. Don't expect great brakes from just your pads alone. You will be disappointed.

I noticed you had a 200 main jet. Isn't that a bit large? You might want to consider a smaller main jet 160-180 range(not sure altitude has that much impact on jet size????). They might give you a hell of a boost. Just a thought to try.

wickedsprint
16th January 2005, 20:40
I am not so sure..I know a 45 slow was too rich and the stock 42 was a quicker low end..but the stock main jet in my bike is a 195 cause it is the sport..and going to the 200 caused it to pull harder at least according to seat of the pants dyno...the 195 still showed white ceramic after a few full throttle runs..I think we have already had this argument before :) When the roads clear up I will try a 185 or a 190 just for giggles since it only takes like ten minutes to swap mains. I just don't wanna melt anything.

stevo
17th January 2005, 02:39
Jet sizes... I'm on my soap box again....... ya can't compare apples to oranges.......

The 1200S carbs run a different needle and few other minor differences and they run well with around a 195 -200 main...

What is right for one bike and carb set up in one part of the world does NOT mean it's right for another......

This is one of the reasons you will RARELY see me give out specific jet sizes.

Stick with what ya got Sprint.......

OK I'm off it now..

wickedsprint
17th January 2005, 02:51
That makes me feel better..the 200 stays!! Took it for a ride today...lotsa fun.

txsporty
17th January 2005, 03:18
How'd we get to Jet sizes from Single or Double Disks?? :frownthre

:D

stevo
17th January 2005, 03:38
C'mon Mike...... keep up ;)

We got ralphed .......................and I jumped on it....

rottenralph
17th January 2005, 04:03
Guilty as charged. Come shoot me or kiss my butt or something.

mikeLI_77
17th January 2005, 04:04
[QUOTE=rottenralph]I have a 6 piston jbrake up front and my bike stops as fast as the tire can handle.

wear did you get the 6 piston from? is it chrome? i have seen some 6 pistons but many of the ones i found require adaptors to make them work. i would rather have a direct bolt on if possible. how much did they cost?

barry1967
17th January 2005, 04:08
Come shoot me or kiss my butt or something

I think they have SPECIAL forums for stuff like that. Not that it's a bad thing but..ya know, not for me. LOL

rottenralph
17th January 2005, 04:20
It is a jbrake 6 piston that mounts directly to the fork leg. I know PM has one as well and I imagine half a dozen others sell. them. http://www.chopperscycle.com/full/2003/Jaysix.jpg

Here is where I found it. I know mine looks the same it just does not list it in the application. They list for $500 and that is a lot. I was single then and never really cared about the price. I have had mine since 96 or so. They are polished billt and still look great many years later. Here is where I found it doing a quick google search. I know p.m. and billet concepts makes one as well probably pro one also. http://www.chopperscycle.com/page/VTS/PROD/36-135-399/11439

wickedsprint
17th January 2005, 04:34
Those are badass!

txsporty
17th January 2005, 05:00
C'mon Mike...... keep up ;)

We got ralphed .......................and I jumped on it....

I been trying, but you all lost me when you went to talkin bout Jets!!!!! :yikes

:D

mikeLI_77
17th January 2005, 05:08
oh i forgot one thing. did you have to change your master cylinder to a larger one to use that caliper? i know i have seen some that say they require certain size master cylenders in order to use the caliper

maddog
18th January 2005, 00:41
If Ralphy can bend the thread then I think I will too.
Wickedsprint!...Why don't you lose that "unknown exhaust" and get a quality 2 into one?

harleytrkguy
20th January 2005, 23:03
anyone tried to go the other way and take the dual to a single?? i know that this doesnt seem like it should be a problem but i want to ask some questions to those who have:
1. can it be done with changing the cables only?? ( i have a 96 1200S)
2. Do you need to upgrade the MC
3. can you take the bottom part where it connects to the tree off without doing anthing else???
4. anything else???

Roger Greendeck
24th January 2005, 12:55
From what I read up on brake a while back the ratio of the master cylinder to the calipers will make a difference. Hence if you change to a 6 pot or go dual disc (or back to single) there would be a change in the ratio. More maths than I am capable after a few wines would be needed to work out if it could work in your favour.

The reason I was going to write though is that no-one has mentioned unsprung weight. By adding an extra disc and and extra caliper you are adding a significant amount of weight to the unsprung part of the forward undercarriage. This will result in a change to the performance of the suspension. Once again it depends on how hard you ride the bike but I would suggest that unless you are riding really hard the extra benefits of the second disc (and I don't doubt for a second that it will improve braking) will most probably be outweighed by the degradation of the suspension performance. Unless of course you mod the suspension and then the cash register will ring for a little longer :frownone

txsporty
24th January 2005, 17:06
Roger

The cost of the upgrade would be about $600.00US :yikes

That includes Disc, Caliper, Master Cylinder, Braided Lines, Progressive Suspension, and Powder Coating the Lowers!!! :D Not a Cheap upgrade!!!
But I think It would add Greatly to the Look of my Scoot!!!

zman69
26th January 2005, 02:56
I want a set of these
http://www.qtmi.com/systems/frontbrakes.htm
They come in black too(ooh yeah) pricey, but they can be used with the stock master cylinder and rotors

Mechano
26th January 2005, 05:43
I want a set of these
http://www.qtmi.com/systems/frontbrakes.htm
They come in black too(ooh yeah) pricey, but they can be used with the stock master cylinder and rotors

Thats a Brembo gold series caliper!
A bit personalised and chromed.
Into Brembo family that is the high performance for street, but not the ultimate.
In fact there's another family of calipers, the 4 pads calipers used on the 996/998/999 ducati and Aprilia sport bikes.
After this there's the radial calipers, but I think it'll be a bit difficult to mount on an Harley.

I'm searching a good caliper for my singles front disk. The better place is that dealers who use to buy broken unrepairable bikes to dismantel and sell in pieces. I think a CBR900 Nissin, a 6 pistons Tokico (ZX, ZRX, ZZR, GSX, GSF) or a Sumitomo (Yamahas) would be the best way. Got the used one it's better to dismount, control and change the sealers and o-rings. And if you'll like a custom look, have chromed it. Maybe the hole position on the Harley fork is not good for some of that calipers so you need to have built a support. Building a support you can decide to build it for a larger disk rotor.

Lot of jap supersport calipers are good for this purpose, and to have a powerful caliper well mounted and controlled by aeronautic oil tube let miss you the needing of a dual front brake.

Only changing that rubber with teflon or steel aeronautic style oil tube, gives 20% more braking power.

Higly recommended and not too much expensive. I did on my previous bikes and expecially on my previous metric Vulcan 1500 Classic (single front disk) the difference was impressive.

--
Mr. Mechano
'04 XL1200C red/silver
Kawasaki ZRX1200