PDA

View Full Version : Cover me boys, I'm goin in!

cantolina
15th January 2005, 16:16
First timer doing a conversion...

Here's a few pics....its down to the rockers now, so I'm just starting to get nervous....

Any pointers during disassembly at this stage? (Other than bagging and marking parts)

Does anyone know of a torque wrench that works especially well for bikes and engine reassembly?

flathead45
15th January 2005, 16:22
I got your back ,need more ammo

Shark Doctor
15th January 2005, 16:45
We're there for ya, guy. Post your address and I'll send a bottle of GoJo Orange and a bottle of rum. One cleans your hands, one cleans everything else. Don't get 'em mixed up!!!

barry1967
15th January 2005, 17:01
You will need 2 torque wrenches. Inch pounds and ft lbs and MANUAL.

dwardy
15th January 2005, 17:04
Go for it. The nervousness goes away about the time you get the second head removed. You'll find that it's much easier than you expected.

willprevale
15th January 2005, 18:21
Get plastic bags, mark and label every piece that comes off and in what position, even the up and down of the pushrods/. Go slow and be sure to get your manual dirty. Nothing worse than the sick feelin' ya get when ya can't figure out where the left over bolt shoulda gone.

Turbota
15th January 2005, 19:16
I noticed you still have the gas tank on the bike. On my 04, I had to remove it to easily remove the rocker covers.

Good luck,
Ron,

BTW, Here is what mine looks like right now: :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Turbota/DSCN0487.jpg

willprevale
15th January 2005, 19:24
Oh and one more thing. Tell the missus to keep the coffee comin' and the distractions away. :laugh

flathead45
15th January 2005, 19:28
ron , that motor is soooooo clean its scaring me

willprevale
15th January 2005, 19:46
and stuff some clean rags in the cases after you remove the barrels. Don't wanna get no crap inside. If that bike ain't tied off, do it. The last thing you need is someone bumping it.

XLFREAK
15th January 2005, 19:50
What are you doing turbota?

barry1967
15th January 2005, 19:54
He broke his bike. I think he said he forgot to shift or something.

Sorry, bad joke :rolleyes:

Turbota
15th January 2005, 20:10
Barrys right ... I missed 2nd two times in a row (I'm a dumbshit!). Bounced it off the 7,000 rev limiter. Since I was using the stock valve springs with .551" lift cams, I flattened the valve seals. Now have a smoking engine, so I sent the heads out to Nallin for Stage 2 mods. That will also include different springs good for up to .600" lift cams ... So, no more smoking.

Also, installing a set of these: (10.5 to 1 CR)

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/images/pistonkitsmall.jpg

Had to send the cylinders to Nallin too in order to get them bored and honed .015" and have them fit the new pistons.

Ron, :)

barry1967
15th January 2005, 20:12
Hey Bota, Did he give you an idea about how long it would be?

cantolina
15th January 2005, 20:13
No, no gas tank...that shot was earlier, just to show the lift (which has straps for the bike both front and rear) The second shot shows what I've done just last night....next up is the rockers and into the cylinders....everything else is off.....

Turbota
15th January 2005, 20:31

I use a special filter on the camera lens that elliminates the dirt and grime from showing in the photo. :D

Ron,

Turbota
15th January 2005, 20:33
Barry ...

He said about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks ... So, we shall see!

barry1967
15th January 2005, 20:35

That's cause he don't actually ride it. He pushes it in and out of the garage and starts it up and just sits on it. :D

Besides in the desert all there is is sand, and sand only sticks to your privates when ya go to the beach. :frownone

What? :eek: You don't have that problem.

willprevale
15th January 2005, 20:37
That's cause he don't actually ride it. He pushes it in and out of the garage and starts it up and just sits on it. :D .

gives new definition to the phrase poser :laugh :laugh :laugh sorry turb, it's yer turn in the barrel.

Turbota
15th January 2005, 20:38
Actually Barry, I wrap baggies all around it when it's driven. Got them custom fit to cover everything but the pipes. :)

2,700 mile 04 Sporty

barry1967
15th January 2005, 20:41
I only have 1100 or so and mine looks... well not as good as yours.

Turbota
15th January 2005, 20:47
Barry ... Like your avatar

Here is my pop gun:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Turbota/COLTGO1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Turbota/COLTGO2.jpg

Sorry to highjack this thread a little too much ...

BTW, that's an Arizona pine tree that the gun is resting on :D

willprevale
15th January 2005, 20:51
Barry ... Sorry to highjack this thread a little too much ...

NP, cantolina got his question answered... I hope

Didja?

Turbota
15th January 2005, 20:53
will ...

I guess sometimes we (I) just get carried away a little

willprevale
15th January 2005, 20:54
cantolina's a gun nut as well. Even money says he's eatin' it up.

ted
15th January 2005, 21:00
The big thing here is "dont get in a hurry". Loosen all 4 head bolts a little at a time rather than crackin one loose and removing it while the others are torqued. :rolleyes: Lets see,, just try to not hurt anything. And remember how it came apart. :clap

barry1967
15th January 2005, 21:05
1989 Sig P220 Hard Chrome Slide, Sig custom shop trigger job. Bought it new and will never sell it. It's my favorite piece.

Got a 226 in .357sig and .40, a 232 in .380, a CZ75 in 9mm.

Turbota
15th January 2005, 21:10
As far as the lower rocker bolts ... Remove the 2 small allen head screws and the 3 mid size bolts (silver colored) before loosening the 4 large (black colored) rocker arm bolts. When you do remove those 4 rocker arm bolts, due it evenly between the 4 of them 1/2 turn at a time until the valve spring pressure is evenly relieved from the rocker arms.

When installing ... Just the opposite ... Get all 4 large rocker arm bolts fully tightened (evenly) before installing the 3 smaller bolts and the 2 small allen screws on each lower rocker box.

Ron,

txsporty
15th January 2005, 21:21
Sure Hope you've tied your scoot Down!!!! :yikes

cantolina
15th January 2005, 21:38
As I mentioned...thanx, its tied, TXSPORTY...hard to see in the first pic..you can see part of one of the straps in the close-up (which is my new avatar, till I'm done....

don't worry all, I wouldn't let you hijack my thread if I gave a crap....if only because I know who the offenders are...lol

Sorry I don't have a pic of the Kimber....but then again, maybe its just as well.... ;)

And yes, keep the tips comin'...gonna start in earnest very shortly....

cantolina
29th January 2005, 09:48
You will need 2 torque wrenches. Inch pounds and ft lbs and MANUAL.

A manual....gee, I never thought of that! lol

I bought a torque wrench that measures in inch lbs.

I see no reason to buy another...math is fun! Unless, of course, I run into a situation where I need better than 80 ft lbs of torque....

stevo
29th January 2005, 10:01
A point with rocker boxes..

The only thing that locates them is the fit on the bolt, which is loose...

I do one head at a time and roll the motor over to near top dead centre...keeps the weight off the rockers.

I fit ALL bolts in loose and then nip the 4 main rocker ones up as I make sure the whole rocker box is centred on the bolts....

Then tighten the 4 to spec then the 3 hex heads and then the 2 allen heads

It's the little things that seperate first place from first loser :)

cantolina
29th January 2005, 10:07
A point with rocker boxes..

The only thing that locates them is the fit on the bolt, which is loose...

I do one head at a time and roll the motor over to near top dead centre...keeps the weight off the rockers.

I fit ALL bolts in loose and then nip the 4 main rocker ones up as I make sure the whole rocker box is centred on the bolts....

Then tighten the 4 to spec then the 3 hex heads and then the 2 allen heads

It's the little things that seperate first place from first loser :)

Thanx alot Stevo....Those are the kind of tips that mean a great deal to me. Thank you for always being so willing to share your expertise... :)

stevo
29th January 2005, 10:18
No worries ... a smear of loctite 518 on the metal gaskets takes up any extra imperfections too...

Just wipe it on between your finger and thumb...a light smear...

How long ago did ya Pirsig's book ?????? I gotta pull my dog eared copy out and re-read it.....

The scary thing is, is that I identify with the character that well that people used ta say ..."oh yeah you've read "Zen and the art of Motorcyclee Maintenance"

BEFORE I'D READ IT..... :rolleyes:

I understood what they meant when I did :)

My head balances on that line often...and the journey is often taken in the mind as much as the road ;)

barry1967
29th January 2005, 14:21
A manual....gee, I never thought of that! lol

I bought a torque wrench that measures in inch lbs.

I see no reason to buy another...math is fun! Unless, of course, I run into a situation where I need better than 80 ft lbs of torque....

As far as the manual thing, you'd be surprised how many people don't have one and do this stuff. :frownthre It wasn't a stab at you.

Only a inch lb torque wrench? How do you get lbs from that? Is 1ft lb 12 inch lbs or 144in lbs? I wasn't sure if it was just ft lb times 12 or inches squared to figure it out. Sorry for the dumbness :rolleyes:

thunderpaw
29th January 2005, 14:41
It would be 12 inch-pounds. Used to go the other way on the cages, as little was that slack. Once I got the Sporty, I caught a Craftsman in inch-pounds on sale. Not the best of quality, but it will do.

Stevo, ever use Hylomar on your mating surfaces (bike, that is:D)? Started using it to seal the cylinder bases on my BMW(factory goo) and found it to be pretty good stuff.

Kim

stevo
29th January 2005, 14:46
Used Hylomar years ago when I was workin on Rolls Royce gas turbines..... everything is Hylomar'd on them...

The spray on stuff is fine for head gaskets too ......Although I use other products nowadays....

Actually havn't used Hylomar in years

barry1967
29th January 2005, 14:47
Thanks, for some reason I thought you squared them.

stevo
29th January 2005, 14:54
Torque wrenches just measure force Baz

squaring it is acceleration .... not sumthin ya wanna be doin with a torque wrench :yikes

FT/lbs or is just how many pounds are hanging off a bar a foot long

in/lbs is how many lubs at an inch

Just keep that in ya head and it's easy to go between 'em

A good tip for usin a torque wrench is to be REAL gentle.. as you are measureing force... So if ya jerk it or pull too quickly ya get an incorrect reading...

Becareful on what ya lube the threads with too..... the type of lube or dry can change the actual force dramaticaly...

That's why a low poundage and then a degree of rotation is often used for really acurate or delicate work..

cantolina
29th January 2005, 16:31
No worries ... a smear of loctite 518 on the metal gaskets takes up any extra imperfections too...

Just wipe it on between your finger and thumb...a light smear...

How long ago did ya Pirsig's book ?????? I gotta pull my dog eared copy out and re-read it.....

The scary thing is, is that I identify with the character that well that people used ta say ..."oh yeah you've read "Zen and the art of Motorcyclee Maintenance"

BEFORE I'D READ IT..... :rolleyes:

I understood what they meant when I did :)

My head balances on that line often...and the journey is often taken in the mind as much as the road ;)

Its been a while, but I like to take it down and read sections from time to time..Helps keep me centered... :)