PDA

View Full Version : Stock Front Caliper Banjo Bolt

jdbostic
9th November 2005, 03:03
Does anyone know the Banjo Bolt size on the stock front brake caliper on an '05 883 Custom? The bolt that connects the brake line to the front caliper that is. I need to know what kind of threads and what size the threads are. When installing my new line I think I may have screwed up the threads in the caliper and so now I am going to retap it. Or does anyone have any other suggestions? The bolt is not going in, now matter how soft or hard I push it in and turn it. It just will NOT go in. Any suggestions?

LVBOATDOC
9th November 2005, 03:09
If it's pushing in and out eaisly then there's not going to be much to tap as it sounds like you might have striped all the threads out. Sounds like you might need to put a heli-coil in it or replace it.

jdbostic
9th November 2005, 03:28
No the threads are still in there, I can see them (and they look fine). It just won't start threading (I stripped the first part of the first threads, I think)

Just looked at an old thread and it looks like 10mm coarse thread. That right??

Gone
9th November 2005, 03:43
It's 10mm X 1.0mm.

regards,

PSEBYL
9th November 2005, 04:02
Does anyone know the Banjo Bolt size on the stock front brake caliper on an '05 883 Custom?

Yes, the thread diameter is 10mm, but the thread pitch is actually 1.25mm. 04+ Sportsters have Nissin calipers (metric), instead of the Hayes calipers (SAE) which were previously used. Did you try using a 3/8"X24 banjo bolt? I had the same problem when I changed to braided stainless lines. The dealer couldn't give me the correct banjo bolt size. I phoned H-D, and they gave me the thread size directly from their engineering blueprints. I then purchased some Goodridge banjo bolts in 10mm X 1.25mm, and they threaded right in. Looks good too.

jdbostic
9th November 2005, 04:11
Well, I am a cheapskate (flames begin) so my indy hooked me up with a used but good condition brake line. One end is a built-into the line bolt (if that makes any sense) and he gave me a converter. The threads on that piece match up properly to the stock banjo bolt. Don't know if I mentioned it or not, but I can't get the original banjo bolt back in either, that is how I know I've screwed up at least the top part of the threads.

PSEBYL
9th November 2005, 04:26
Tap the hole (10mm X 1.25mm), re-install original parts, then see if your caliper will take 20-25 ft-lbs. If not, your cheapskate ways may have cost you more in the long run.

jdbostic
10th November 2005, 04:37
Well I tapped it and got it in and torqued. No brake pressure though. Posting a new thread about it...