PDA

View Full Version : Howdy

chimpy
20th February 2008, 09:12
Hello everyone!

My name is Ryan and I live in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm 21 and I've been riding bikes for a couple years now, and they are my only mode of transportation. I've been riding sport bikes since I was 19. I have however, become bored with my CBR1000RR.

I'm bored because the enjoyability of riding sportbikes is near gone, because the aggressive seating position is taking a toll on my ability to go for long rides aka to Orlando or even out of state. I can't get to Tampa without being miserable, sure they are great for in town and going on the highway for a bit, but a new niche for me is growing that must be filled as an American motorcyclist.

I MUST own a Harley. I'm a pretty small guy, about 5'10. I've mounted a Road King that my stepfather has had for a while in the past, and it feels like driving a boat (sweet bike however) and I've decided that I want a Sportster.

I want the Sportster because it is powered just enough for what I want, infinitely customizable and won't break my bank.

However, I know virtually nothing about them, so I am here. :banana

I'm looking to buy either new or used, and have roughly $7.5k in cash that I'm willing to commit to this purchase.

In all honesty, I would prefer to get a used bike whose taxes have been paid with relatively low mileage. BUT one thing that I can't shake (because every bike I've ever ridden was fuel injected) is the reliability of carbeurated vs. fuel injected platforms. The only thing that will keep me from buying used is the long term reliability of a carbeurated system vs. fuel injection. So for me, the only reason to buy new is for the fuel injection platform so I have guaranteed starting no matter if I take a trip to the NE and it's cold out or blazing hot in the desert (I've got big plans for this bike!).

What does everyone have to say about the subject?

jharback
20th February 2008, 09:22
The sportster can really be any bike you want it to be except the fastest bike on the block. You can chop it, cafe it, cruise it, you name it. It can become quite fast with the right engine work. It has more torque than any bike you've probably ridden.

As for dependability of the EFI versus carbureted I think as far as sportsters go the carbureted is much more dependable. You should be able to find a very nice carbureted sportster in the $5,000 range. That would leave you $2500.00 to make it just like you want it. To stage one a stock sportster can cost anywhere from $100.00 to $1000.00. It mostly depends on whether you want a new carburetor and exhaust system. It's really not necessary to replace the stock carburetor just to re-jet. As for the pipes its mostly a personal preference.

Nose around on the site, look at other members bikes, see what you like and then go out and see what you can find on the market.

Good Luck, and welcome to the forum.

From Sunny Italy!

Folkie
20th February 2008, 13:10
Welcome to the Forum from the UK!

Every car I've had for years now has been FI; one of the (many) reasons that I love my Sportster is because it's carbureted. Much easier (and cheaper) to adjust the mixture when you do the stage 1.

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/forum/images/smilies/zh_smilies/welcome.gif :xlrocks http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/forum/images/smilies/zh_smilies/welcome.gif

Rascal
20th February 2008, 13:46
Hello from Missouri & welcome to the best forum on the net! I have an '02 model, so it's carbureted, agree with what Folkie said above. Almost 15K miles, never had a problem with the carb. Lots of info. throughout this entire forum, read some, then buy your choice. Good luck in your decision on whatever bike you buy.

tandk1597
20th February 2008, 14:31
welcome to the forum..i have a 04 carb model, & it's easy to work on & very reliable.

Bob F
20th February 2008, 14:40
Hello Ryan from Pittsburgh and welcome to the forum. If buying used I suggest no older than 2004 and 1200cc, you'll never wish it was an 883. My 2.

gomorley
20th February 2008, 15:03
Welcome to the forum from England :o)

Moe47
20th February 2008, 15:06
I get along just fine with my 883, you can always convert it to 1200 later and relatively cheaply, if you feel the need. I agree with the FI easy start theory. You should be able to find an '07 used in your price range.

:tour

stealthammer
20th February 2008, 17:11
Ryan, Welcome to the Forum from Las Vegas!!!

Buying an Ironhead will steepen the learning curve considerably and challenge you in ways that you can not yet imagine, but it's worth every bit.

XL 50
20th February 2008, 17:19
Welcome from Southern California

Gone
20th February 2008, 18:22
I'm looking to buy either new or used, and have roughly $7.5k in cash that I'm willing to commit to this purchase.

For that kind of money, you should be able to find an excellent late model used bike, and have some jack left over for modding.

Welcome to the forum!

Rico 05R
20th February 2008, 18:35
:welcome to The Forum from Oklahoma.

:banarock

XLFREAK
20th February 2008, 18:59
Welcome to the forum and good luck on your search, the journey is always more important than the destination.

Billsxl1200c
21st February 2008, 17:23
Welcome to the forum from the Windy City!

My lil Sporty is an 08 with FI. I guess I'm getting old, because I enjoy not having to fiddle with adjustments anymore.

wandrur
21st February 2008, 18:58
Glad to hear you'll be joining the fold. Welcome from Boulder, Colorado!!

jamez1965
21st February 2008, 19:17
Welcome from Ohio! :tour