PDA

View Full Version : New Chain & Sprockets

IronMick
16th January 2005, 01:51
Got the new o-ring chain installed. Replaced 21" front sprocket with a 23". 51" rear with a 49". This should get me 500 fewer RPMs on the hiway.

I'll be a little slower getting away from intersections, but that will give all the pretty girls more time to look at me and my pretty IronHead!

IronMick
16th January 2005, 01:54
Now to make my confession. I cut the chain 1 link too short. I had to go and buy another master link and cut a middle link from the piece cut off. It's ok now. The chain looks really good. Then i had to remove the rear wheel. I was concerned that i would not be able to get it off as the chain would be too tight. But it was ok - just came off!

flathead45
16th January 2005, 01:55
mick , you won't even notice the loss of lowend power , the 1000cc has more than enuff on tap

you might have to slip the clutch a bit more but probably not, I don't

74FeHeadXLH
16th January 2005, 07:10
That reminds of a question I had a while back about O-ring chain...is there a clearence issue at the front sprocket stock cover, or do ya got to grind out some material , and would just changing the front sprocket to a 23 or 24 (24 is the biggest huh) make enough top end highway difference without changing the rear sprocket...Mike 74xlh

HrdlyDangrs
16th January 2005, 07:30
I had to modify the gear cover on my early 60's Sportster by cutting out some of the inside of the cover to get enough clearance for the larger gear/chain. Easy to do...just grind it down a bit.

You will definitely notice the differance in the gearing. You will be able to wind out the gears more between shifts......highway speeds are smoother.....less vibration and lower RPM's

But...you will likely have to give it a little more throttle and ease out the clutch out of first....also will definitely have to down shift when going up steep hills....especially when riding two-up!!

I'm going to be making the same gear change this Spring to my 74 XLCH. I can see that I will have to modify the inside of the 74's cover also.

74FeHeadXLH
16th January 2005, 07:45
Mines a pretty damned strong motor...dont think power will be an issue(hopefully), but is 24t the highest they go, havent really checked yet,what is stock sprocket. I'd like to lower the r's at highway speeds, but would rather not change the rear...unless necessary...Mike

flathead45
16th January 2005, 17:18
I got a 23 from the dealer , thats what he gave me when I asked him for the biggest gear he could get , is there a 24 ? maybe , the 23 was just what he gave me
I think with a 24 you might have to grind out too much on the kicker cover (more so with a n "O" ringed chain)

I can still pull off from a stop two up without any probs

74FeHeadXLH
16th January 2005, 17:26
Hey flathead, off the top of your head,what is stock size front sprocket, I probably will only go up 2 teeth, don't want to make any big changes, I can always go up one or two more...Mike 74xlh

flathead45
16th January 2005, 17:31
21 tooth front 51 tooth rear

I've got a 20 in the parts bin that came with it , man could I lift the front wheel with that gear

HrdlyDangrs
16th January 2005, 17:43
24 T-Sprocket...54-E79 Sprtsr and K.....J&P Cycle Prt#601-281....$27.99
This is an 'American Made' Sprocket...I have them on my bike!

Your Bikes 51 Tooth Rear gear is fixed to Drum via Rivets/screws....Cannot use a larger gear.

You can put on a later model Sportster swing arm with Disc Brake and changeable rear sprockets. Not difficult...but does take a little work, mods to do.

74FeHeadXLH
16th January 2005, 17:46
Thats what I thought, I really need to get manual for this thing. A 23t should give me what I'm after w/o a big change, seems to be set-up just about right, you know aside from the "normal" coughin spittin pukin these things do, just lookin to run a little bet less rpm's at 65-70 mph....Mike 74xlh

flathead45
16th January 2005, 17:48
man , now I'm gonna have to get all bundled up , go out side and rip into my bike just to count the teeth on my spocket just to see what I have , I was sure it was a 23, but I asked for the biggest they could get and they ordered it so maybe it is a 24

you guys just had to go and make me do some work today , my last day unemployed , thats mean

74FeHeadXLH
16th January 2005, 18:06
Man I'm sorry did'nt want ya to get all bndld up just to count teeth

flathead45
16th January 2005, 18:11
with that 20 tooth I couldn't even runn down the interstate she was revving so high (to my ear) and with the 23 (or 24 I haven't bundled up yet) I got a nice sound at 70mph

74FeHeadXLH
16th January 2005, 18:16
Well I'll count what's on it and then go up 2 teeth, but right now she's revvn about 4500-4700 at 60 mph can't be exact needle bounces some, but what the hells exavt on an Ironhead?

IronMick
17th January 2005, 02:53
Stock on the 1980 XL is 21 tth front, 51 tth rear. I have gone to 23:49. I have been told by a person i trust [he is not necessarily correct but i trust him] that 24 would be too large, so i went with the 23. I have seen 24s on eBay.

With the 23 there is lots of space within the sprocket cover for the o-ring chain. But the sprocket itself hit the rear bolt tower so i had to grind it down a bit. Used a Dremmel tool with a medium stone. No problem.

The o-ring chain is wider than the regular chain. It rubbed on my 140 rear tire. There were already 2 spacers between the hub and the sprocket and i inserted a 3rd. That solved the problem. Now i have to check the alignment between the front and rear sprockets. I am hoping i can space out the front sprocket if necessary. Any comments on this?

IronMick
17th January 2005, 05:54
Well I'll count what's on it and then go up 2 teeth, but right now she's revvn about 4500-4700 at 60 mph can't be exact needle bounces some, but what the hells exavt on an Ironhead?

With a 21/51 you should be rev'ing 4250 rpm at about 75 mph, not 4500+ @60.

Get the article from the download section - it has the charts you need.

74FeHeadXLH
17th January 2005, 06:09
Well really to be honest I'm suspect of how accurate the tach really is, I mean the needle should'nt bounce. She runs good @ hwy speeds, just would like it a little lower...have'nt acctually checked it yet, but just maybe there's an other than stock one on there now...tomorrow I got time to spend on it , thats one of the items I'm gonna look at, but you say stock is 21t....Mike

IronMick
17th January 2005, 07:52
Well really to be honest I'm suspect of how accurate the tach really is, I mean the needle should'nt bounce. .Mike

Disconect the tach cable at both ends, remove the cable from the sheath, clean the cable with any solvent, squirt any solvent thru the sheath until it comes out clean - both directions, lube the cable with hi-temp wheel bearing grease, re-insert into the sheath, re-install.

Do the same with your speedo cable.

thunderpaw
17th January 2005, 13:45
Disconect the tach cable at both ends, remove the cable from the sheath, clean the cable with any solvent, squirt any solvent thru the sheath until it comes out clean - both directions, lube the cable with hi-temp wheel bearing grease, re-insert into the sheath, re-install.

Do the same with your speedo cable.

Sage advice.

Kim