PDA

View Full Version : XL Forum Post Signature Restrictions

bplinson
12th November 2005, 17:00
I have made a change to the forum that restricts post signatures. This is being to done to reduce bandwidth and optimize the forums. Also so that no one can make HUGE signatures that take up a large part of the post.

Part of the change will require me to CLEAR all signatures. You will be able to redo your signature after it has been cleared but the restrictions will apply.

I suggest that you make a copy of your signature now so that you can redo your signature when they are cleared.

These restrictions are in effect now and are monitored automatically.

Signature restrictions will be as follows.

Regular Members:

Max # of lines: 5
Max Font: 2
Links to external websites: None

XL Forum Team Members

Max # of lines: 10
Max Font: 3
Links to external website: None
Max width of images: 500 px
Max Height of image: 150 px
Max File Size: 100000 kb

Silver Supporting Vendor

Max # of lines: 20
Links to external website: Yes

Gold Supporting Vendor

Max # of lines: 20
Links to external website: Yes

I will adjust these numbers if required.

Darhawk
12th November 2005, 17:28
Christ Bert, with my computer skills it took me a week to set it up the first time.............now I get to do it all over again........:doh

Jesse_Bolt
12th November 2005, 17:30
Bert,

I attempted to edit my signature within compliance of your new rule and I wasn't able to make the changes.

Also, I thought you implemented a criteria whereas a signature would appear only in the first post of a thread. I see that feature is working now. It wasn't working yesterday and several weeks ago.

JB

bplinson
12th November 2005, 17:37
Here are some simple instructions for the old farts.

(instructions for Windows users only. Linux and Mac users will not need any instructions :laugh )

1. Open up notepad - Run, type in notepad, press enter
2. Login to The XL Forum and click USER CP from the Forum main page
3. Click Edit Signature
4. Highlight all the text in the editor
5. Right click and click COPY
6. Go back to notepad
7. Click inside notepad
8. Right click and then click PASTE
9. Close notepad and save the document to your DESKTOP. Give it a cool name like XL Forum Sig

Then when you see that your sig is blank...

1. Login to The XL Forum and click USER CP from the Forum main page
2. Click Edit Signature
3. Minimize your browser
4. Double clock on the file you saved your sig in.
5. Copy and Paste that info into the Signature Editor
6. Save Changes

You many need to fix the errors you see based on the new signature restrictions.

bplinson
12th November 2005, 17:38
Bert,

I attempted to edit my signature within compliance of your new rule and I wasn't able to make the changes.

Also, I thought you implemented a criteria whereas a signature would appear only in the first post of a thread. I see that feature is working now. It wasn't working yesterday and several weeks ago.

JB

Yes. If you curently have a signature that is over the restrictions you will not be able to edit it. This is why I have to clear everyones signature.

I will do the clear in a few days to insure everyone gets a chance to know about the change.

Jesse_Bolt
12th November 2005, 17:45
Yes. If you curently have a signature that is over the restrictions you will not be able to edit it. This is why I have to clear everyones signature.

I will do the clear in a few days to insure everyone gets a chance to know about the change.

Bert,

I just figured it out. I have to delete everything and start over within the new compliance.

To save bandwidth, I simply deleted my signature. It may not be valuable information to anyone whom reads my messages to know I've owned the following Sportsters...

1976 XLCH
1980 XLH
1983 XR-1000
1986 883 (1200)
1993 883
1996 1200 Sport
2004 1200 Roadster

JB

txsporty
12th November 2005, 17:52
Got Mine Saved!!!:clap :clap

Guess I'll see what needs changing!!!!:D

Darhawk
12th November 2005, 17:54
Thanks Bert..........I think...........at least I got it saved. The test will be if I can get it from storage and back to the forum........:laugh

669Sprink
13th November 2005, 14:59
Here are some simple instructions for the old farts.

(instructions for Windows users only. Linux and Mac users will not need any instructions :laugh )

1. Open up notepad - Run, type in notepad, press enter
2. Login to The XL Forum and click USER CP from the Forum main page
3. Click Edit Signature
4. Highlight all the text in the editor
5. Right click and click COPY
6. Go back to notepad
7. Click inside notepad
8. Right click and then click PASTE
9. Close notepad and save the document to your DESKTOP. Give it a cool name like XL Forum Sig

Then when you see that your sig is blank...

1. Login to The XL Forum and click USER CP from the Forum main page
2. Click Edit Signature
3. Minimize your browser
4. Double clock on the file you saved your sig in.
5. Copy and Paste that info into the Signature Editor
6. Save Changes

You many need to fix the errors you see based on the new signature restrictions.
Uh um Would you mind crossing the pond and fixing mine for me? :laugh Just kidding. Ill figger it out. Thanks Kev

LVBOATDOC
13th November 2005, 15:11
Does this mean we can't go into the forum and do a edit on the sig or compile a new one ?

bplinson
13th November 2005, 15:40
No, you can stil have a sig. But it will have to fit within the guidelines of the first post in this thread.

Your sig is fine but will be removed when I do the mass sig removal. You can just put it back in once the removal has been accomplished.

kiltbill
13th November 2005, 17:51
What does 97.5 equate to is that 10,000 bytes and is that a maximum for all pics/sigs etc or is that per pic?

Tried posting a gif that was 144w by 144h and 3505 bytes, but message says this is too big?

What happened to the edit option on replies, seem's to have vanished?

Thanks Bill
:)

wabiker
13th November 2005, 18:16
...to DAMN early in the Mornin for math KB....still working on my FIRST pot of coffee.
Quick question: Whats a notepad. :-)

GOTWA
13th November 2005, 18:24
No, you can stil have a sig. But it will have to fit within the guidelines of the first post in this thread.

Your sig is fine but will be removed when I do the mass sig removal. You can just put it back in once the removal has been accomplished.

Would this have also caused the AV's, # of posts, etc. to disappear from the top bar? Or is it just me that is suddenly not seeing them?

EDIT: Nevermind...

Bert answered the question here: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=16769

kiltbill
13th November 2005, 18:26
Would this have also caused the AV's, # of posts, etc. to disappear from the top bar? Or is it just me that is suddenly not seeing them?

Missing everything here!!! No sigs, pics, avatars, edit option etc, etc and I still don't understand about the pic/gif size... :hidechai

Jesse_Bolt
13th November 2005, 18:29
Quick question: Whats a notepad. :-)

Could be synonymous with WordPad.

JB

kiltbill
13th November 2005, 18:31
Also, says can't link to external websites. Have followed the advice of you guys re posting pics. So what the Hell do I do now?

bplinson
13th November 2005, 18:31
Working on bringing back all the missing items. It will take a while since the db is over 600 MB in size and I have to download the whole thing to my PC and edit it.

bplinson
13th November 2005, 18:32
No you can not link to external websites.

You should wait until I get the DB fixed before working on your sig since it will be overwritten.

Jesse_Bolt
13th November 2005, 18:33
Missing everything here!!! No sigs, pics, avatars, edit option etc, etc and I still don't understand about the pic/gif size...

It may be prudent to wait until Bert gets everything cleared out and set up. His advice is to copy what you have now.

JB

bplinson
13th November 2005, 18:33
Whats a notepad. :-)

A text editor that comes with every Windows system.

santansporty
13th November 2005, 18:35
System froze up on me last night and I couldn't get back online to site... was that because of the site changes? And my sig has disappeared... no biggie... just wondering...

wabiker
13th November 2005, 18:37
....oh great....MORE puter stuff I gota figure out.... and I was feeling pretty proud of myself for learning how to cut/paste... DOH!

santansporty
13th November 2005, 18:37
disappeared from User CP that is... I was going to save it, but it's not there...

bplinson
13th November 2005, 18:39
YOUR SIGS WILL BE BACK. I messed up the database and am trying to recover it. It will take a few hours since the database is so large.

kiltbill
13th November 2005, 18:44
No problem, thanks guys... Sig gone already! Will get advice once everythings up and running again :)

bplinson
13th November 2005, 18:51
The Private Message System is also not working. It will be fixed.

santansporty
13th November 2005, 22:52
YOUR SIGS WILL BE BACK. I messed up the database and am trying to recover it. It will take a few hours since the database is so large.

sorry, as I said, my system been going down, so I thought might be my problem...

Kath
15th November 2005, 01:21
XL Forum Team Members

So apparently this includes all photo hosting websites? I can't link my photobucket hosted dancing girl anymore. Oh well, maybe I'll just retire her anyway ;)

Sport-Ed
15th November 2005, 03:01
Can't you upload that lil dancin thang to your gallery?

I was linking from photobucket also, and had to switch to my gallery.

bplinson
15th November 2005, 06:28
Yes, the gallery is available for any signature photos you may want to put in your signatures.

kiltbill
15th November 2005, 13:33
Can't you upload that lil dancin thang to your gallery?

I was linking from photobucket also, and had to switch to my gallery.

How do you save to gallery guys? sorry for the dumb question, but I have no idea how to... and is there a size limit?

bplinson
15th November 2005, 13:40
What do you mean save a gallery. Your gallery will be create when you upload a photo for the first time.

Just log into it with your normal username and password.

kiltbill
15th November 2005, 13:46
What do you mean save a gallery. Your gallery will be create when you upload a photo for the first time.

Just log into it with your normal username and password.

Thank's Bert, MrJ advised me... working fine.

raysheen
15th November 2005, 14:13
So apparently this includes all photo hosting websites?
correct :D

bplinson
15th November 2005, 14:16
You can still link photos from ANYWHERE in your post. It is only the signatures that are affected.

Ole
15th November 2005, 15:51
So if I want this (logo with a hyperlink):

http://www.wallininc.com/images/patch.gif (http://www.patriotguard.org)

at the end of my post (kinda like a sig.) then I'll have to put the code into every post I make? :frownthre

Me no likey...JMHO...

Kath
15th November 2005, 15:55
So if I want this (logo with a hyperlink):

http://www.wallininc.com/images/patch.gif (http://www.patriotguard.org)

at the end of my post (kinda like a sig.) then I'll have to put the code into every post I make? :frownthre

Me no likey...JMHO...

No no...you can still embed the code in your sig so it automatically comes up when you post. This just means you have to host the image in the gallery here instead of hosting it at another site.

bplinson
15th November 2005, 15:58
I am allowing images from patriotriders.org.

gearhead
15th November 2005, 16:03
I am allowing images from patriotriders.org.

patriotguard.org right?

bplinson
15th November 2005, 16:18
Yeah...that too.

Ole
15th November 2005, 16:21
I might (?) be a blithering idiot when it comes to some computer stuff but...why can't we hyperlink text in our signature. It doesn't "load" anything from another website automatically and when you click on the hyperlink it should launch another window to "make the connection"...correct? If this is the case then how does it harm/slow down/whatever the XL Forum?

Please type any answers slowly as I'm not a fast reader...

Carl-04XL
15th November 2005, 16:34
Well, I re-did my sig, and saved the re-do. :clap

If I did this before the mass erasure, well, I did save the new stuff... :banana

one of these days, I'll get a-round-toit and become a Premium Member... :D
I just need to know where to send the check...

bplinson
15th November 2005, 16:41
A text hyperlink does not slow down or harm the the forum. Many forums are now blocking external links to stop spam and that is one of the main reasons for the steps I am taking.

External links can still be put into the text of a post with no problem.

Ole
15th November 2005, 16:58
I had no clue about the spam issue(s) with hyperlinking.

See? I told you I might be a blithering idiot! :roflblack

External links can still be put into the text of a post with no problem.
Here's comes the idiot side again...how then is it helpful to not have hyperlinks in a sig. if they can be in the main body of the message? Harder for hackers to get at?

gearhead
15th November 2005, 17:05
do we have a spam problem here? Or are we just being...um...proactive. Wipe out terrori...er spam before it's a problem.

I thought the blood sample registration requirement kept most spammers out =)

bplinson
15th November 2005, 17:33
There is a bit of a spam problem but the main problem are the huge images from slow outside servers.

gearhead
15th November 2005, 18:01
this is kind of along those same lines. I was away for a month or two, but before my sabatical werent the avatars on the left of the post? If they were not, then that's just my swiss cheese memory at work.

I was just thinking, there would not be near the scrolling required in a full page of posts if they were leftily located.(located on the left)

Moker
15th November 2005, 18:32
Well, I re-did my sig, and saved the re-do. :clap

If I did this before the mass erasure, well, I did save the new stuff... :banana

one of these days, I'll get a-round-toit and become a Premium Member... :D
I just need to know where to send the check...
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=3

:)
you get a nice patch, and bert does things to you that you'll never forget!!
http://www.moker.us/pic/browsmiley.gif

bplinson
21st November 2005, 07:26
All sigs will be removed this morning. I have given over a week for everyone to make a copy of their sig. You can replace your sig once you see it is gone.

bplinson
21st November 2005, 07:49
All signatures have been clear. You may now re-enter your signature.

Schmidtrock
21st November 2005, 15:57
Ack, I just saw this. So I cannot have a hyperlink in a sig image is that correct ? I had my Combat Veterans MA image with a text hyperlink to the website.

bplinson
21st November 2005, 16:03
You can have the image as long as it is being hosted here.

sunkenloot
21st November 2005, 17:36
Does the gallery have a problem with Gifs? I just tried to upload my old sig gif a few times and this is what it gave me...

"Fatal error: Call to undefined function: imagegif() in /home/httpd/vhosts/xlforum.net/httpdocs/photopost/image-inc.php on line 120"

Anyone know what this means?

bplinson
21st November 2005, 22:34
Give it a try now.

bplinson
21st November 2005, 22:56
Looks like ther is a problem with .gif files. I will look into it but can not say when I will get it fixed. In the mean time .jpg are uploading fine so you can convert your non-animated images to .jpg and upload them.

kiltbill
21st November 2005, 23:31
Looks like ther is a problem with .gif files. I will look into it but can not say when I will get it fixed. In the mean time .jpg are uploading fine so you can convert your non-animated images to .jpg and upload them.

Thank's for the update.

merc
24th November 2005, 18:23
ok I know this has been asked over and over,sorry
I know that Gary fixed it for me before (but that doesn't teach me.)
And I scewed it up again. so can you please post the instructions for embedding a pick from the gallery to the CP control panel?

GOTWA
24th November 2005, 19:06
Here ya go Merc. Me PERSONALLY, I would lose the text in the image. It's going to end up so small it will be too difiicult to read.

Regular Members:

Max # of lines: 5
Max Font: 2
Links to external websites: None

XL Forum Team Members

Darhawk
24th November 2005, 19:53
Okay, when I try to reload my signature, it tells me I'm exceeding the only ten lines limit, but I have only eight. Does the ten lines also count spaces between lines??????/

GOTWA
24th November 2005, 19:55
Think so Dar. Don't think the computer cares if you type there or not. It reads it as a line.

merc
25th November 2005, 00:34
I must be dense as hell...
I can't even ask the question right..
what are the steps to show the picture..

Mr Jimi
25th November 2005, 00:46
I must be dense as hell...
I can't even ask the question right..
what are the steps to show the picture..
Go look at your signature! I just fixed it for you.:clap

kiltbill
25th November 2005, 00:55
Go look at your signature! I just fixed it for you.:clap

Change yer name to Mr Fixit!!!! You sure do help out Jimi...:clap

Mr Jimi
25th November 2005, 00:58
Change yer name to Mr Fixit!!!! You sure do help out Jimi...:clap
Maybe someday it will work, I learned from someone and I am more than happy to show someone else what i have learned:clap
Thanks for the ATA-BOY MrBill! I like that, it sounds good and looks good:tour

merc
25th November 2005, 01:01
mr Jimi
thanks
I see what you did to fix it.
you took out some words in the link and replaced them with a formula.
But how do yo know what that formula should be (other than you being 1000times more computer literate than I.

Mr Jimi
25th November 2005, 01:05
mr Jimi
thanks
I see what you did to fix it.
you took out some words in the link and replaced them with a formula.
But how do yo know what that formula should be (other than you being 1000times more computer literate than I.
Aw-Shucks,I type 9 WPM and all I know is what I was tought and I listen well
hang in there, You were using the wrong address and it was going nowhere?
I just sent it to you:doh
Jim:shhhh

Moker
2nd December 2005, 09:47

any news on the gif problem?

bplinson
2nd December 2005, 10:31
Well, for right now I have disabled .gif uploads to the gallery. This will eliinate the errors everyone has been getting. Am still looking into the problem.

Moker
12th December 2005, 21:12
update status on the gif upload?