PDA

View Full Version : New computer

Stingray
4th March 2008, 23:10
I'm using our new computer for the first time to surf the site! I finally got tired of Windows based machines, to many bugs, viruses, reloading, rebooting, all that crap. We broke down and bought a Mac!

I just got a new 20" I-Mac. So far I'm really liking it. It is going to take some time to get use to the change, but I think it is going to be for the best. I did use Macs when I was a kid. My dad has had a few in the past.

Rascal
4th March 2008, 23:16
Good luck with the new system.

DC in PHX
4th March 2008, 23:20
Good choice:clap. I shoulda got a Mac, but no, I get a PC with Vista...

Vista sux
Office 2007 sux:doh

DC

xena
4th March 2008, 23:27
Congrats! Have always been a fan of Apple computer.
Atm I have both a PC and an iMac G4 (the lamp style).
The iMac is definitely more fun to use. I use the PC more
though just because it's my home/work computer.

Brad
4th March 2008, 23:29
I love my Mac. My only suggestion is to get a 2 button mouse so you can right click instead of CRTL>Click.

onerigidrider
4th March 2008, 23:33
Welcome to the other "darkside":p

Once you go mac you never go back!!!!:clap:clap:clap

Stingray
5th March 2008, 00:14
I love my Mac. My only suggestion is to get a 2 button mouse so you can right click instead of CRTL>Click.

It came with the Might Mouse. It has an option for the right click, plus a 3rd one too.

Stingray
5th March 2008, 00:22
Welcome to the other "darkside":p

Once you go mac you never go back!!!!:clap:clap:clap

My wife got a Mac Book about a week ago too. We are switching cold turkey. Our desktop PC's mother poo'ed it's self, and our laptop never was really that great.

So far everything is good. We just want to find some little games for them. We both enjoyed playing the Hoyle Board/Card games on the PC.

oldgrouch
5th March 2008, 00:24
I haven't heard anything good about Vista. Have XP now but if I get a new computer & have to get it with Vista I am going to get a Mac also. Sick of Microsoft crap.

Just_Todd
5th March 2008, 00:45
Nick...you're a unix guy. Why didn't you go with Linux?

Takingabreak
5th March 2008, 00:47
What is wrong with Vista?

I have it on my home computer and it works just fine.

Takingabreak
5th March 2008, 00:48

I have it on my home computer and it works just fine..

Takingabreak

I have it on my home computer and it works just fine...

Takingabreak

I have it on my home computer and it works just fine.....

flskevin
5th March 2008, 00:52
You have just stepped in to the light and thrown off your shackles of pc oppression!!!!

I have been using Mac since '85. There are alot of cool things that windows just can't do so drop me a line if you need any help getting started.

Your not going to believe what you have been missing. With OSX you may never crash again.

I would do a software update first in the preference "system update" control panel. Even a brand new iMac may not have the most up to date system software.

Stingray
5th March 2008, 00:52

I have it on my home computer and it works just fine.....

I'm guessing it has something to do with the 4 same post you just left!!

Stingray
5th March 2008, 01:01
Nick...you're a unix guy. Why didn't you go with Linux?

I use older versions of non gui unix at work. I may stick Linux on one of my old PCs that is still working. I've never really played with it yet.

My sister and her fiance both have Mac, and love them. Plus, growing up that's all my dad ever had. I though it was time to try them again.

Stingray
5th March 2008, 01:03
With OSX you may never crash again.

That's one of the main reasons I bough it!! :clap

khaskins
5th March 2008, 01:15
Nothing wrong with Vista and office 2007 on a new PC. There is a little bit of a learning curve, after you get past that it is very powerful. Does not have the security problems of XP. I don't have spyware problems with Vista.

We will begin supporting users on Vista at the end of the year and I was just appointed Vista guru by my boss. Looking forward to an OS that does not have as many problems.

ClineDesign
5th March 2008, 01:33
OSX is UNIX. Cognitive Dissonance is your friend.

ParrotHead
5th March 2008, 01:52
Nothing wrong with Vista and office 2007 on a new PC. There is a little bit of a learning curve, after you get past that it is very powerful. Does not have the security problems of XP.

I'm not sure I would go that far.

Maybe it doesn't have security problems of XP, but it is a large and complex product and MicroSoft has that big target on them for every hacker to shoot at. I'm sure they are there and will be found.

Vista on a new PC may not be too bad since it should have the memory and power to run it, however not sure I'd install in on a PC originally shipped with an older OS.

ParrotHead
5th March 2008, 01:55
I just got a new 20" I-Mac. So far I'm really liking it. It is going to take some time to get use to the change, but I think it is going to be for the best. I did use Macs when I was a kid. My dad has had a few in the past.

Congrats on the Mac. Friends of mine use them and are happy. Just don't assume that because you have a Mac it is impervious to viruses and other bad things like some people believe. Follow other's advice and install updates, etc.

DC in PHX
5th March 2008, 02:02
Don't you know? Vista is for RUBs and Posers!

;):shhhh:laugh:doh:D;)

DC

onerigidrider
5th March 2008, 02:05
My wife got a Mac Book about a week ago too. We are switching cold turkey. Our desktop PC's mother poo'ed it's self, and our laptop never was really that great.

So far everything is good. We just want to find some little games for them. We both enjoyed playing the Hoyle Board/Card games on the PC.

goto http://www.versiontracker.com and they have a ton of stuff, some free some not!

paxman1
5th March 2008, 02:18
Ive been using Macs since the early 90's. With the new intel chip there is no need for a Winblows machine when you can run parallels in a VM environment

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

Great choice !

Congrats-Mark

and yes I use a Mac/PC,and Linux (ubuntu ):D

glh
5th March 2008, 02:31
Don't you know? Vista is for RUBs and Posers!

;):shhhh:laugh:doh:D;)

DC

I thought I was safe from being labeled a Poser. :frownone

Using Vista since the betas. I may even install Vista SP1 tonight. I like Vista, but I wouldn't knock a Mac as a home computer, and if I had loads of cash laying around I would probably own one just to play.

GrumpyCoyote
5th March 2008, 02:35
The whole "Mac is better" stuff is a myth as far as reliability is concerned. The UI is nicer, but that's where it ends.

Not a day goes by without some issue with my Mac. Of course the same is true of my Vista, XP, RedHat, and BSD boxes.

All operating systems suck. Mac is far more annoying and fragile than the typical Mac fan is willing to admit.

Leopard in particular is a trainwreck of an operating system. I've never had this kind of trouble with Vista.

onerigidrider
5th March 2008, 02:43
The whole "Mac is better" stuff is a myth as far as reliability is concerned. The UI is nicer, but that's where it ends.

Not a day goes by without some issue with my Mac. Of course the same is true of my Vista, XP, RedHat, and BSD boxes.

All operating systems suck. Mac is far more annoying and fragile than the typical Mac fan is willing to admit.

Leopard in particular is a trainwreck of an operating system. I've never had this kind of trouble with Vista.

I have used macs for about 10-12 years and have NEVER had one problem...as a matter of fact my daily user for a laptop is a 2000 pismo with the g4 upgrade running tiger 10.4.11 a dual layer dvd+-rw and 756mb of RAM. NEVER an issue with it, or any of my macs. 2 G3 sawtooth indigos and a dual g4 550 tower!

DC in PHX
5th March 2008, 02:53
I thought I was safe from being labeled a Poser. :frownone

Using Vista since the betas. I may even install Vista SP1 tonight. I like Vista, but I wouldn't knock a Mac as a home computer, and if I had loads of cash laying around I would probably own one just to play.

Oh yeah!!!! Well I have been using computers since the UNIVAC days, when REAL MEN did programs on punch cards, you metro poser RUB! Jeeeze, anyone with a couple of hundred bucks for a new PC and a six pack of Jolt cola thinks they are sooooo hardcore, makes me wanna puke

Remove tongue from cheek;)

DC

onerigidrider
5th March 2008, 03:02
Oh yeah!!!! Well I have been using computers since the UNIVAC days, when REAL MEN did programs on punch cards, you metro poser RUB! Jeeeze, anyone with a couple of hundred bucks for a new PC and a six pack of Jolt cola thinks they are sooooo hardcore, makes me wanna puke

DC

Losers!!!!If you don't use an abacus you ain't a REAL computer user!!!!!

DC in PHX
5th March 2008, 03:04
Losers!!!!If you don't use an abacus you ain't a REAL computer user!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl8H-rm6kt4&feature=related

:laugh

DC

onerigidrider
5th March 2008, 03:08
If I have to be slammed...thank you for using Monty Python!!!! And now I fart in your general direction!!!:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:l augh:laugh:laugh:laugh

GrumpyCoyote
5th March 2008, 03:09
I have used macs for about 10-12 years and have NEVER had one problem...as a matter of fact my daily user for a laptop is a 2000 pismo with the g4 upgrade running tiger 10.4.11 a dual layer dvd+-rw and 756mb of RAM. NEVER an issue with it, or any of my macs. 2 G3 sawtooth indigos and a dual g4 550 tower!

Lucky you.

I'm not saying you can't be trouble free - but as a professional in the industry, I can tell you that is not the norm.

As an example, I've been in the field since the 80's and never lost a hard drive to hardware failure (I estimate I've owned at least one thousand of the things). Does this mean they are all reliable and never fail? No. In fact, the data suggests that I'm just extraordinarily lucky.

Add to that two things:

1) Mac fans are culturally resistant to acknowledging the flaws in the Mac OS and hardware
2) The volume of Mac OS in the marketplace is still relatively small - this exposes the flaws to a smaller group and as a result, the net volume of complaints is low.

I love my macs – I’ve owned them since the first Lisa – My Mac Plus still runs (I have A Mac Book Pro and an Air currently – and an iPhone). But the current OS is in no way “better” than any other – except in the UI and design department.

ClineDesign
5th March 2008, 03:59
I used to support a DEC PDP11 that had dummy terminals. Every once in a while a line of text would pop up on a screen with the words, "Continuing with fingers crossed." I hear that phrase whenever I'm about to tear into a computer or ride my scoot.

It's all ones and zeros, lets try to get along.

GrumpyCoyote
5th March 2008, 04:12
I used to support a DEC PDP11 that had dummy terminals. Every once in a while a line of text would pop up on a screen with the words, "Continuing with fingers crossed." I hear that phrase whenever I'm about to tear into a computer or ride my scoot.

:iagree:clap:clap

Yep - it's just a bucket where the software goes.:D

I love that "continuing with fingers crossed" prompt. The industry used to have a much better sense of humor.

onerigidrider
5th March 2008, 04:16
I'm not that old...the best I can do is throwing TRS-80's all over the place and actually programming when I was in high school on apple IIe's and g's, and of course the obligatory commodore 64 (hot rodded to 128 of course):banana:banadanc:p:geek:geek:geek:geek

debster
5th March 2008, 04:31
Congrats on going Mac! I find the latest OS the best yet. I actually paid for this upgrade. LOL

glh
5th March 2008, 05:11

DC

Now is the time that we beat our digital chests!!!

I lost my computer priviledges before I was 10 when dad caught me downloading the source code to Star Trek off the Sperry-Univac mainframe. Acoustic coupler terminal man, there was a lot of paper on the ground.

My first at home computer didn't have a pansy ass assembler compiler. We had to enter machine codes on a hexidecimal keypad, and the display was a 6 digit LED. Load Accumulator, Store Accumulater, over and over. Z80 chip. Backups went to cassette tape. Sometimes.

My second at home computer had a screen. We were moving up the tech tree. BASIC was a revelation. First graphical program, Santa riding the sky tossing present down to the people. They were so waving to him; forward slash, backslash. I was Peeking and Poking memory locations in the character display range The first game I wrote had you riding across the desert. Perhaps there was an oasis, or perhaps there were bandits around the corner. If there were bandits, you had better type "Bang!" really fast or they would get you (within pseudo randomized limits).

The Atari 800 was bogus, except for the game cartridges. The floppy drive rarely worked properly. The Sperry business machine with the 10 mb external hard drive was much better and actually ran DOS. CGA Graphics. I still have CGA "Lords of Conquest" and "Bridge" and "Jeopardy" on my hard drive.

Then came the 286 with 1 MB of RAM, the first machine that was truely mine, and the rest is history. I loved Borland compilers, even when I was not a good enough coder to make use of their true potential. :bananinj

ClineDesign
5th March 2008, 05:31
Find and join a Mac user group in your area. They can be very helpful to new users.

toddjsn
5th March 2008, 05:38
Has anyone used Ubuntu? (version of Linux) I'm starting to like it more and more everyday. I think that Linux if you can figure it out is a great O/S

havi0412c
5th March 2008, 05:39
I had PC's from MSDOs on up, and hated them. When I got into high school I used my first Mac, and it did something amazing. It worked. well I might add. Then I was stupid and bought a DELL. Never again, those things are over advertised garbage. My latest computer is a new MacBook with the 2.2 dual processor, 4 gig ram, and 160G hard drive.

Mac was a good move!!!! congrats on the new 20", I have been drooling over them ever since I bought my Macbook.

flskevin
7th March 2008, 02:06
The whole "Mac is better" stuff is a myth as far as reliability is concerned.

I have had a Mac Cube (yes thats right a CUBE) running continuously for 8 years now. The only time it is off is when the power to the house cuts off. I've burned out 2 monitors in that time. I also still have my original Mac (1984) that still works.

System 8 & 9 were just as unstable as Windows. But OSX is so much better and I have small problems every now and then with conflicts but I don't have to reboot or erase the drive or do any major surgery.

I'm a loyal Apple consumer (though I will never buy an iPhone cause I hate phones) sure Macs are more expensive and they aren't perfect. But Apple has been around since the beginning and have been the innovators.

Don't let the PC naysayers get you back tracking your Mac decision. They're still pissed they have to buy an iPod for windows to get an mp3 player that actually works.

Just_Todd
7th March 2008, 02:12

ClineDesign, there are 10 types of people in this world...those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Stingray
7th March 2008, 02:25
I have had a Mac Cube (yes thats right a CUBE) running continuously for 8 years now. The only time it is off is when the power to the house cuts off. I've burned out 2 monitors in that time. I also still have my original Mac (1984) that still works.

System 8 & 9 were just as unstable as Windows. But OSX is so much better and I have small problems every now and then with conflicts but I don't have to reboot or erase the drive or do any major surgery.

I'm a loyal Apple consumer (though I will never buy an iPhone cause I hate phones) sure Macs are more expensive and they aren't perfect. But Apple has been around since the beginning and have been the innovators.

Don't let the PC naysayers get you back tracking your Mac decision. They're still pissed they have to buy an iPod for windows to get an mp3 player that actually works.

Well, a little over 2 days and so far I still like it! I actually made a new web page for my wife last night. Only took about 20-30 mins to do it. It actually looks pretty nice, if I may say.

I remember playing games on my dads original Mac. We used that thing for many years. Even after we upgrade to new computers everyone still like using that one. The power supply finally burnt out in it, and he ended up just tossing it. I want to build one of those Mac fish tanks out of it, oh well.

Just_Todd
7th March 2008, 02:27
Wow, you finally did her website? Congrats!!!

Brad
7th March 2008, 02:32
...I actually made a new web page for my wife last night...

I followed the links from your homepage. Is it the one that has the 'made on a Mac' graphic in the footer? Didn't take long for you to be assimilated!:)

One of us... one of us...:banana

Stingray
7th March 2008, 06:06
I followed the links from your homepage. Is it the one that has the 'made on a Mac' graphic in the footer? Didn't take long for you to be assimilated!:)

One of us... one of us...:banana

Yea, that is it. I left the Mac in the footer, I have nothing to hide!

My sister made her last one. It looked nicer, but we could not update it ourselves. And she is super slow at things like that. This one we will be able to update.

http://www.aacreations.net/

I am going to redo our personal web page soon. It has not changed in years. New toys are so cool!

Weo
8th March 2008, 11:01
7Ml7-LmLZr8 :p