PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a bike lift

chaserband
18th January 2005, 01:17
Anyone have a good Idea for a sportster bike lift? :smoke

Gyahmers
18th January 2005, 01:25
Anyone have a good Idea for a sportster bike lift? :smoke
Go to Auto Zone or some place like that and you can usually pick one up for around 50 dollars. Or, Sears has one (same kind) for around 100 bucks.

HrdlyDangrs
18th January 2005, 02:18
I just seen the Sears lift while shopping over the Christmas Holiday...It was on sale for $99.00.

It looked pretty damn sturdy and well built. I am going to pick one up this Spring to use outside my garage. I can't remember how many times this past season I was tinkering under the bike and had to use a small auto jack to lift under the rear frame area just enough to get the rear wheel off the ground.

I actually purchased a full lift years ago. Its called "The Handi Lift'....same as the ones all the shops use. Its the pnuematic (air) type and is probably one of the top tools/equipment I ever purchased!! The only draw back is its too large (about 8' longx3' wide) to pull in and out of the garage.

You can never have enough tools!

barry1967
18th January 2005, 02:28
I have the craftsman lift. Paid 88.00 plus tax. My bike is on it right now till I get the motor back together, and the lights mounted, and wired and change the brake hose to stainless and the hardware kits and.......crap, maybe June.

Moved On
18th January 2005, 03:24
There are plans for a simple stand in the download section of the old site. You should be able to get them here:
http://www.xlforum.net/xlinst/stand/collinsb-gronk62sportystand.pdf.
This stand won't lift both wheels but is pretty handy for a lot of stuff.

I have a Craftsman stand, but I think I'm going to build one of these also because it looks easier to use when you want to just level out the bike or get the front wheel up in the air.

Gary

willprevale
18th January 2005, 03:28
cantolina just got one for well under $100.00. check with him.

cantolina
18th January 2005, 03:40
50.00 made by Larin..

Tractor Supply (clearance)

They are usually 100.00

Good lift, at either price....

willprevale
18th January 2005, 03:42
I saw the pic and really liked it. I've tried other lifts that weren't too good.

txsporty
18th January 2005, 04:00
I've been looking at the Craftsmen and Sam's also has a Nice one!!!

barry1967

Do you have to do anything with your's to miss the exhast??

ESCOBAR
18th January 2005, 04:04
SEAR'S LIFT WORKED FOR ME GOT ON SALE A COUPLE OF MONTHS BACK :D

:D ESCO :D

fbcrusier
18th January 2005, 04:13
I have the Craftsman...you can lift the bike up or sett it back down with your foot and still hold on to the bike. The only thing that I dont like about it is that the two rests that your bike sit on dont hit under the frame well (to far apart) this isnt major but it does rest on the lower faring and the kickstand on my bike. I know they were on sale at Sears for 70 bucks at christmas time. Pep boys has lifts to for 54.00 with a 10.00 mail in rebate right now that seems like a good deal.I dont have that one so I dont know what there like but they look ok.

Turbota
18th January 2005, 04:13
I believe about 95% of these lifts are all made by the same company in China. They are all the same with very subtle differences. Just re-badged for whomever is selling them here in the US. Get whatever you can find that is the absolute cheapest when on sale. Paid 50 bucks for mine at Checker Auto. Same exact lift that Sams sells (and 90% of everyone else).

chaserband
18th January 2005, 04:54
I guess I need to go shopping. Got all kinds of new project but I really need a stand to keep the ol back from getting all bent up. Tractor supply, Sams, Autozone, and Sears here I come!!!

Chuck
28th January 2005, 18:23
I just built one out a 4x8 timber but I like that pipe one. I don't need a stand that often, the homemade ones don't take up any room or cash, that's what I like.

bamf_shadow
30th January 2005, 17:30
I know this is off site, but it is a really detailed idea for a bike lift. I plan on making one next week. http://www.sportster.org/tech/rickko-lift/

Chuck
30th January 2005, 17:37
I know this is off site, but it is a really detailed idea for a bike lift. I plan on making one next week. http://www.sportster.org/tech/rickko-lift/

That's the one I built, bamf. Worked good for what I needed. I am going to pick up a couple screweyes for the ends to tie down the bike a bit. I built mine out of a 6x6 with a short piece of 2x4 screwed on top. You don't need the whole piece 8 in. high or you will have to notch out for the exhaust.
Also I drilled hole 1" instead of 11/8" and soaped it up and hammered pipe in for a tighter fit.

XLFREAK
30th January 2005, 18:06
Here is a shot of the Pep Boys jack. 44 Bucks.http://www.columbiapark.net/forums/uploads/post-3-1106504616.jpg

collinsb
30th January 2005, 18:36
Rstoll,
I was at a Sam's Club store this weekend and saw a really great looking aluminum MC lift with a capacity of 1500lbs. It is beautifully built and has a unique feature where the top pads slide so it can be easily positioned.
The down side is $109, if $ is an object. Examining it in detail, you can easily see the quality.
Here's the webpage - http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?mt=a&n=0&coe=0&oidPath=0%3A-23542%3A-32122%3A-32126%3A-32133%3A880816
http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0002890720478_L4.jpg

74FeHeadXLH
30th January 2005, 18:43
Billy thanx for posting that lift...it has to be much lighter than the bulky steel lift I bought from Sears 10 yrs ago...and it's smaller tooooo...I'm still gettin a kick out of your Loud Pipe Ticket Song....Mike 74xlh

HrdlyDangrs
30th January 2005, 19:09
I'll tell ya, if you can afford one, you can't beat the full size shop type lifts.
Check out www.handyindustries.com or www.directlift.com Some of these lifts have accessory attachments that nearly doubles their size. Great if you've got a Trike also.

When your not putting your bike up on them they make a great workbench or serve as a good lawnmower and 4x4 repair bench/lift. With their variable locking positions, and front wheel clamps, you don't have to worry about strapping the bike down.

I have the HandyLift Air lift in my garage.

collinsb
30th January 2005, 19:16
Billy thanx for posting that lift...it has to be much lighter than the bulky steel lift I bought from Sears 10 yrs ago...and it's smaller tooooo...I'm still gettin a kick out of your Loud Pipe Ticket Song....Mike 74xlh

Thank you 74xlh! $$ is an object to me, so I passed it up. I thought how nice, that a lightweight jack could be hung on the wall. Still, how many times have we bought something just to bring it home and find problems with it. Maybe your heavy "tried but true" Craftsman is still the best and safest way to go when holding 500+ lbs in the air.

Billy

74FeHeadXLH
30th January 2005, 19:34
Thank you 74xlh! $$ is an object to me, so I passed it up. I thought how nice, that a lightweight jack could be hung on the wall. Still, how many times have we bought something just to bring it home and find problems with it. Maybe your heavy "tried but true" Craftsman is still the best and safest way to go when holding 500+ lbs in the air.

Billy
Good point...also the "biga$$bulkysteelbikelift" will probably serve better since it's more stable because the footprint is much bigger....Mike 74xlh :smoke