PDA

View Full Version : Engine Stumble on Cold Start up

2007Low
8th March 2008, 16:02
I have written a two page letter to your customer service department and spoken to the local HD dealer here about this problem and how many, if not all EFI Sportsters are doing the same thing and was very surprised to find that HD has not heard of this yet.

I left my 07 1200 Low with the dealer for two weeks and the fault finally occurred for them and even with their analyzing equipment hooked up, they said they could not see anything wrong. The problem is rather embarassing when you start your Harley and it's warming up for the first minute or so and just dies. Everyone asking "hey whats wrong with your bike?" "Isn't that thing brand new?"

Please take a look at the thread titled "Engine Stumble On Cold Start UP" in the "EFI Sportster 07 and up" section of this forum to see how many have responded with the same problem or contact me with a PM (personal message).

After taking note of this problem, please also inform all of your dealers of this problem. My guess is the fuel mapping for the warm up mode. Mine seems a little too rich, when it stumbles and comes back to life I see a puff of black smoke accompanied by what sounds like a back fire through the throttle body. Some times it is severe enough that the engine will just die completely. It will start right back up but if you're not careful for example when making a left hand turn the engine can die and lockup and the bike could be laying on its side if you're not quick on the clutch.

After the engine is warm, the problem is gone.

My bike is going back to the dealer in a week to continue searching for the problem. Please study this fault, it can't be that difficult to figure out. Then give your dealers all the help and ideas you can.

Thank you

2007Low
27th March 2008, 04:52
2007L - you should add a link to that thread to your message...

I'm afraid I don't know how to do that. Any quick and easy instructions? Thanks Kev

PS check the latest on my engine stumble

2007Low
27th March 2008, 20:22
I have written a two page letter to your customer service department and spoken to the local HD dealer here about this problem and how many, if not all EFI Sportsters are doing the same thing and was very surprised to find that HD has not heard of this yet.

I left my 07 1200 Low with the dealer for two weeks and the fault finally occurred for them and even with their analyzing equipment hooked up, they said they could not see anything wrong. The problem is rather embarassing when you start your Harley and it's warming up for the first minute or so and just dies. Everyone asking "hey whats wrong with your bike?" "Isn't that thing brand new?"

Please take a look at the thread titled "Engine Stumble On Cold Start UP" in the "EFI Sportster 07 and up" section of this forum to see how many have responded with the same problem or contact me with a PM (personal message).

After taking note of this problem, please also inform all of your dealers of this problem. My guess is the fuel mapping for the warm up mode. Mine seems a little too rich, when it stumbles and comes back to life I see a puff of black smoke accompanied by what sounds like a back fire through the throttle body. Some times it is severe enough that the engine will just die completely. It will start right back up but if you're not careful for example when making a left hand turn the engine can die and lockup and the bike could be laying on its side if you're not quick on the clutch.

After the engine is warm, the problem is gone.

My bike is going back to the dealer in a week to continue searching for the problem. Please study this fault, it can't be that difficult to figure out. Then give your dealers all the help and ideas you can.

Thank you

Dear HD here is a link to that thread, "Engine Stumble on Cold Start Up" if you'd like to check it out.

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=150685

2007Low
27th March 2008, 20:23
Yeah, bring the first page of the thread in question up in your internet browser, then go up to the top window of the browser (that shows the full address - usually http://xlforum... etc

Using the mouse, highlite that text and either hit CTRL and C at the same time to copy that text - OR right click the mouse and select COPY.

Finally, come back to this thread - and in a reply hit - CTRL and V for PASTE OR again right click the mouse and select PASTE. and viola the link will appear.

You can make it prettier using the link button on top of the reply box (there's an icon for a planet which stands for the internet and a chain LINK to the lower right of the planet) but you don't HAVE to do it that way and it's a tiny bit more complicated. Let me know if this helps or you have any questions.

Kev

Hey Kev, thanks for the help.