PDA

View Full Version : Easy SE Pro II exhaust baffle mod (with pics)

Turbota
18th January 2005, 19:36
I pulled the baffles out of my SE Pro II mufflers today. The below pic is one of the baffles. The exhaust inlet to the baffle is at the top of the picture. You can see that indented section towards the top of the baffle ... The way it's cut and bent, about 80% of the exhaust gas goes to the outside of the baffle (the area you can see). Then it has to go down through the small holes and back into the center area of the baffle and then the out the muffler.

The other 20% of the exhaust can go straight though the center area of the baffle without any restriction (that indented area is not crushed closed completely)

Here I drillled 1/2 of the holes so you can see the difference in size.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Turbota/DSCN0498.jpg

This picture is a clossup of the holes on the other side of the baffle. I drilled half of these so you can also see the difference in size.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Turbota/DSCN0499.jpg

There are a total of 24 holes in each baffle. I drilled all of them. Hopefully, this will give a little better gas flow, increase the sound slightly, but not kill low RPM torque like what happens when the baffles are completely removed.

I sent out the heads and cylinders to Nallin to get Stage 2 headwork and a set of .030" overbore 10.5 to 1 forged "Bathtub Dome" Hurricane pistons. Just thought I may need a little less restriction in the pipes.

Good Idea? ... Bad Idea?

What ya think, :)
Ron

jimmyheadgear
18th January 2005, 19:55
Thanks Turbota

Those are great pic's! I learn better from seeing than from reading.

BlackSkull883
18th January 2005, 20:47
I pulled mine out this fall and did the "sportster.org" baffle modification. Basically just pick three of the squares on each one and cut them out with a dremel cutoff wheel. This seems to give it more low end power and the volume level is somewhere between full baffles in and no baffles.

txsporty
18th January 2005, 23:27
Turbota

What I did with mine was to drill more holes in line all the way to the end of the baffle!! I made the holes the same size as the originals!! Sounds alot better Now!! :D

So, how did you end up getting them out?? :D

BlackSkull883
18th January 2005, 23:34
Take the pipes off and put a tool handle (shovel, rake, hoe etc...) up in the skinny end of them and give it a few taps on the floor. They will loosen right up!

Turbota
19th January 2005, 00:07
I didn't have a short enough broom handle, so I used a long 1/2" drive extention and beat it out with a hammer. Couple of hard raps, and they fell right out.

willprevale
19th January 2005, 00:25
Thanks Turbotta. There's a lot of us (myself included) who are more visual than verbal and a pic or two goes a long way making the old adage true.... A picture is worth a thousand words.

I simply lifted the baffle end up about a !/2" for a little throatier sound. They worked fine until one of the damn baffles fell out and none of my buddies has an extra one layin' around.

This has been an unpaid political anouncement sponsored by the comittee to find Will another baffle.

Shark Doctor
19th January 2005, 00:36
Turbota-

Thanks! Terrific pix (I love close those up shots) and great tips.

scooter
19th January 2005, 00:37
Turbota,
That's the exact same mod that I did to my SEIIs (before I got my V&H). I thought the sound was a great improvement and got a lot of compliments on how good they sounded. I did notice it let them breathe a little better.

maddog
19th January 2005, 03:52
I sent out the heads and cylinders to Nallin to get Stage 2 headwork and a set of .030" overbore 10.5 to 1 forged "Bathtub Dome" Hurricane pistons. Just thought I may need a little less restriction in the pipes.

Good Idea? ... Bad Idea?

What ya think, :)
Ron[/QUOTE]

I'm just curious..You spend a lot of personal time pullin' heads and pistons..You're spending a bunch of bucks on NAllins parts...Yet you waste time and effort drilling out S/E II mufflers for an end result that is basically guess work?
Why not go with proven performance pipes like Rinehart, V&H 2:1, T-Headers, ETC.?

Turbota
19th January 2005, 06:33
maddog ...

Because I like to tinker ....

If I don't like the end result, I will trash this whole exhaust system and put a nice 2 in 1 system on it.

maddog
19th January 2005, 12:40
maddog ...

Because I like to tinker ....

If I don't like the end result, I will trash this whole exhaust system and put a nice 2 in 1 system on it.
I can relate...I too am a tinkerer..To me thats half the fun of having a Harley.

bbradley
19th January 2005, 14:18
I have a question? How do the baffles stay in after you remove them?
Brian

Turbota
19th January 2005, 14:59
Brian ...

On the SE slip-ons, they are held in with 2 bolts in each muffler. You just slide them back in and re-install the bolts and nuts.

honus402
20th January 2005, 03:10
I wasn't aware that the SE II Pros were not a proven design. The angled baffle is a giant step forward over a common baffle.

gwcrim
20th January 2005, 04:06
I'm just curious..You spend a lot of personal time pullin' heads and pistons..You're spending a bunch of bucks on NAllins parts...Yet you waste time and effort drilling out S/E II mufflers for an end result that is basically guess work?
Why not go with proven performance pipes like Rinehart, V&H 2:1, T-Headers, ETC.?

The main reason many of us use the slip on muffers is because they are an extremely good and inexpensive exhaust. Opening up the baffle gives them a bit more top end breathing power and noise too. For the $100 or so that slip ons cost, you'd have to spend several hundred dollars more to get the same results. And with a 2-1 you're losing lots of low end power from 2000 to 3000 to gain maybe 1-2 HP on top

Turbota
20th January 2005, 04:11
Folks ... This muffler deal is not Rocket Science!

Crim ... Thanks for your honest opinion.

LVBOATDOC
20th January 2005, 15:15
I think the SE pro II pipes are set up just fine and don't need and more mods done. I think maybe "The loader they are the faster you think your going" syndrome is playing a part here. I mean these are a real free flowing pipe and the angled baffle plays a big part in the game here. just my thoughts....

gwcrim
20th January 2005, 15:31
Even the quiet SE mufflers are WAY better than stock.

HrdlyDangrs
27th January 2005, 01:00
I think the SE pro II pipes are set up just fine and don't need and more mods done. I think maybe "The loader they are the faster you think your going" syndrome is playing a part here. I mean these are a real free flowing pipe and the angled baffle plays a big part in the game here. just my thoughts....

WOW, I MUST BE FLYING.....CAUSE MY PIPES HAVE ONE 1-3/4" HOLE IN THEM....STARTS AT THE FRONT AND GOES ALL THE WAY TO THE END!! ;)

Rigpa
29th January 2005, 05:58
Baffle from those SE's looks just like to ones in a pair of Cycle Shack slip-ons! Just got them delivered today. Now just waiting on the NHRS Hurricane AC kit and some $3 jets from JP cycles to complete having "taxes paid", that and the tempature to raise up above CTAWTIABB (colder than a witch's...). Then it'll be time to save some bigger dinero for the valve train, cams and heads ;)

barry1967
29th January 2005, 14:39
Folks ... This muffler deal is not Rocket Science!

pi x bore x stroke x GNP / airflow x earth's rotational spin x the space shuttle thrust + seII's drag coefficient - 180lb rider = uhhhhhhhhh 4

Yeah that's the ticket

misterwizard1
24th February 2005, 03:10
Guys,
I drove 15 miles home from work, pulled the cap screws and nuts from my SEII baffles, fire up the engine and gunned it until both baffles flew out onto the drive way. NOW, how big did you enlarge the 24 holes?
misterwizard

Turbota
24th February 2005, 04:45
TIP ....

After you have the baffles removed, cut about an inch off of the end of each one (the inside end :) ). It will be much much easier to remove and re-install

Turbota
24th February 2005, 05:08
Guys,
I drove 15 miles home from work, pulled the cap screws and nuts from my SEII baffles, fire up the engine and gunned it until both baffles flew out onto the drive way. NOW, how big did you enlarge the 24 holes?
misterwizard

Don't know the exact size the bit was ... Just make them bigger .... In fact, since I took those photos I posted, I have made the holes slightly larger again, and drilled 5 more holes in each baffle .... Sounds great now, but not too loud at all. Has a nice, but not loud rumble from the pipes when you down gear (never had that before)

I just hope the RB Racing 2-1 pipes I just ordered sound as nice as these SE IIs I have now!

gearhead
24th February 2005, 16:22
I cant wait to see those RB racing pipes on your bike Ron. Those are some pretty pipes, on a sweet looking bike. If they perform as well as they are supposed to, your gonna be in good shape.

Turbota
24th February 2005, 16:35
Thank's gearhead ... I hope those pipes perform a little better than the SE IIs. My bike should dyno 90rwhp, but is 6 rwhp low. Hopefully the pipes will take care of that. I also incresaed the main jet size from a 170 to a 175 since the motor was too lean on the dyno ... So, that should help too.

I can say one thing though ... After this last modifying of the SE II baffles, this bike sounds very nice. Just hope that RB Racing exhaust sound as good as these SE II pipes now sound .... just don't know

gearhead
24th February 2005, 16:45
if you have the baffles out again snap a recent pic if you can, wouldn't mind seeing the sum of all mods =)

Dont make a special effort or anything, but if you have em off for the RB's might be nice =)

Turbota
24th February 2005, 16:55
Let me go pull one out now and get a pic ...

Barry Quote: "Hey, Hey, Hey now. This is gonna be moved to the team area if ya start posting those kinda pics". :D

:shhhh :shhhh

Pics turned out a little out of focus, but you get the idea.

There were 4 more holes added (2 on the top, and 2 on the bottom)
Hole size is now a 25/84"

About an inch was cut off the top ... Now easy removal and install

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Turbota/DSCN0531.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Turbota/DSCN0532.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Turbota/DSCN0534.jpg

I can tell ya one thing; If anyone wants to try and drill there baffles holes, one of those small battery powered drills ain't going to cut it! Do yourself a favor and get one of those larger size electric drills.

barry1967
24th February 2005, 17:02
Let me go pull one out now and get a pic ...

Hey, Hey, Hey now. This is gonna be moved to the team area if ya start posting those kinda pics. :D

gearhead
24th February 2005, 17:43
Thanks, I bet that loud rumble has something to do with the holes in the slanted part of the baffle, probablly caused a bit of turbulance that was different from before.

barry1967
24th February 2005, 17:49
Pics turned out a little out of focus, but you get the idea.

Fuzzy pics? What are ya hungover?

Turbota
24th February 2005, 17:52
Thanks, I bet that loud rumble has something to do with the holes in the slanted part of the baffle, probablly caused a bit of turbulance that was different from before.

That's posible, but it sure sounds nice now. The rumble during downshifting is noticable, but not loud or annoying ... just very slight.

From the seat of the pants, this mod certainly didn't hurt the low or midrange performance ... I believe it DID help on the high revs.

Again, this is NOT loud at all ... just slightly louder and a MUCH better sound quality than before.

BTW, I didn't like the sound at all after modifying it as shown in the first pics in this thread ... But, as it is now is really nice.

Turbota
24th February 2005, 17:54
Fuzzy pics? What are ya hungover?

No ... I was a good boy last night ... Was in bed by 10:30 :clap

Got to safe up my energy for that Philippines trip ... Leaving 29 Mar :D

20 day trip!

txsporty
24th February 2005, 22:03
Did the same to my SEII's when I had them on, but drilled more holes down towards the end of the baffle, kept them the same size but put more hole in the baffles.. Sounded great!!! :clap :clap

:D

883Hugger
24th February 2005, 22:18
Pics turned out a little out of focus, but you get the idea.Ya know Turbota, I have come to expect more out of you and your pictures, c'mon man.....:laugh I am just joking. I really do love all your pictures, they make for great posts. It is always nice to have a visual. Keep up the great work!

balpo
1st August 2005, 04:40
A question for Crim of exhaust shootout fame. Crim - you were there for all the exhausts on the dyno - you didn't happen to record dB of them did you? If so, could you post please. If not, do you have advice about the best trade off between performance and quiet - which was quietest?

Gone
1st August 2005, 18:14
Damn,

It looks like the photobucket links are not working now...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Turbota/DSCN0498.jpg

I can't see them nice pics...

Oh Well,

Thau

TiBaal89
1st August 2005, 18:23
Roger that, I have no pics either.

mordak
1st August 2005, 19:03
I'd like to see the mod too Turbota!!! :cry1

Turbota
1st August 2005, 20:18
Sorry ... Those pics are now gone.

To modify the SE baffles, all you have to do is remove the 2 bolts holding each of them in. The baffles more than likely won't come out until you actually remove the mufflers and stick a broom handle in the other end of them and pound the baffles out.

After there out, take a hack saw and cut about a 1/2" to 1" off the inside end of the baffle (that will make it simple to remove and replace later on, and they won't hang-up again in the muffler).

Then get a heavy duty drill and drill out all the holes in the baffles in order to make them half again as big.

Some folks even drill a few more holes in the baffle ... that's up to you. I would just drill the holes bigger and try it. If you still want a little more sound, then remove the baffles again (they will come out easy this time), and drill a couple more holes.

Nothing to it!

Ron,

Turbota
1st August 2005, 20:26
Here is one of the SE II baffles that have been modified (but a lot more than discribed above) ... This one was modified to go in the end of my RB Racing pipe. I took it out because I lost too much power with it in.

This baffle was really cut down. The tack welds that held that large outer ring to the baffle was cut. Then the baffle was shorted on both ends. Then the baffle was tack weded back to the outer ring. It had to be very short in order to be used in my RB Racing pipe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Turbota/DSCN0621.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Turbota/DSCN0623.jpg

The holes in the baffle were drilled like I talked about in the post above this.

cantolina
1st August 2005, 20:46
Dammit, Turbota....

Yer speakin to the tinkerer in me....he does NOT need any encouragement..

:laugh

Are you saying I can do this mod, and not lose any noticeable low-end torque?

I hate it when everything on my bike is the way I want it...

I start LOOKIN for stuff to do....:doh

Turbota
1st August 2005, 21:02
Chuck ..

You won't loose anything on the bottom, and it will pull harder on top.

BTW, I saw a post you made about being at Nellis before.

After I came back from Vietnam, I was stationed at Nellis from 69-71. I was assigned to the 430th TFS. This was an F-111A squadron (first in the AF).

After I left Nellis, I heard that they later transferred the squadron to Cannon AFB ...

Ron,

cantolina
1st August 2005, 21:06
Chuck ..

You won't loose anything on the bottom, and it will pull harder on top.

BTW, I saw a post you made about being at Nellis before.

After I came back from Vietnam, I was stationed at Nellis from 69-71. I was assigned to the 430th TFS. This was an F-111A squadron (first in the AF).

After I left Nellis, I heard that they later transferred the squadron to Cannon AFB ...

Ron,

Yes, they transferred the planes, but the 428, 429 and 430th stayed at Nellis...

By the time I got to the Wing, they were all F-16's, including the Thunderbird Squaron...

cantolina
1st August 2005, 21:06
BTW, just pulled out my baffles, and one of 'em seems to be bent on the INSIDE portion of the tube....

Turbota
1st August 2005, 21:14
Chuck ... It's bent in so about 75% of the gasses have to go to the outside section of the baffle and then back in through those holes ... then out the pipe.

Very restrictive, but keeps it very quiet.

Your not going to cut where it bends inward ... just about a 1/2" off the round part on the baffle thar fits furthest inside the muffler.

Maybe I'm not understanding you ... the round part that fits furthest into the pipe should not be bent at all ... if it is, just cut that whole section off ... it won't hurt a thing ... you should be cutting about a 1/2" of it off anyway.

mordak
1st August 2005, 21:18
Hey Ron, thanks vey much for the update. I saw this thread way too late to see the orignal pics. I know what to do now. I have to weld my tongues back in cause I used a Dremel to cut them out. Oops!!!

RedRider
1st August 2005, 21:25
Chuck,

I did Ron's baffle mod on my SEII's recently.

You'll see a diverter plate on the baffle that goes towards the front part of the muffler. It forces the exhaust to the outside of the baffle, through the 'glass lining material, then back through the little holes in the baffle body. I enlarged the holes on mine from 1/4" to 3/8". I did not notice any loss of low-end, as Ron already mentioned. I haven't had the bike dyno'd, but it does seem to pull better on the top-end to me. The sound is much nicer as well. I would recommend it to anybody. Good luck!

Turbota
1st August 2005, 21:31
DIVERTER PLATE .... That's the word I was lookin for! :)

Anyway, you can still see part of the bent-in part (I mean "diverter plate") on the pics above is still there ... but only about half of it ... the rest is gone.

cantolina
1st August 2005, 22:04
DIVERTER PLATE .... That's the word I was lookin for! :)

Anyway, you can still see part of the bent-in part (I mean "diverter plate") on the pics above is still there ... but only about half of it ... the rest is gone.

Well, the end of the baffle was bent...NOT the diverter plate (it was as it should have been, more or less)

I drilled the holes out to 5/16", and actually pushed the diverter plate IN a little...cut off about an inch of the baffle tube...

I'm goin for a ride now to see wtf...

I'll report back later..

:)

cantolina
2nd August 2005, 01:08
OK, back from my ride and here are my observations:

Slightly crisper sound...noticeably better pull above 3,000.....noted when accelerating roll-on from 60 mph in 5th....

No noticeable effect on low end torque...

Next, I'll drill the baffles a little wider......and after that, I MAY add a hole or two on each row...

So far, I'm happy...

We'll see how for I have to go before I see diminishing returns... :) Hopefully, I won't hit that point! ;)

So, all in all, from the skeptical one....I have to approve this mod, personally...

(Damn you, Turbota)

:p

RedRider
2nd August 2005, 01:16
I knew ya would like it!

Try opening the holes to 3/8". I like the sound & performance of mine at that size.

cantolina
2nd August 2005, 01:28
I knew ya would like it!

Try opening the holes to 3/8". I like the sound & performance of mine at that size.

I quite agree, Rob...

I think that's the ticket....

I may very well, however, add more holes...but that will be after the opening of the existing ones....

Anyone gone further than 3/8"? Added more holes??

Any input is appreciated..

Thanx!

mordak
2nd August 2005, 03:04
Weather permitting, I'm gonna work on mine tomorrow. I have a little welding to put the diverter/tongue back in place then I'll drill the holes. I'm gonna go straight to 3/8's and slice 1/2" to 3/4" off the inner end of the baffle like Ron stated. Rob you seem to think it's kick ass sound wise and power wise so that's good enough for me.

RedRider
2nd August 2005, 03:11
Going larger than 3/8" might work out fine too. It's just that on my bike it was loud enough for my tastes at that size so I stopped there. Any louder, and it'll be a ticket magnet for the boys in blue around here. YMMV.

mordak
2nd August 2005, 03:31
Rob I always try to ride respectfully around town. I always believe you don't shit where you eat. However I do like to open it up where there's few houses or when I'm far enough away from home that I feel they won't see me again. If it's nite time, I always ride as quietly as possible regardless of where I am.

cantolina
2nd August 2005, 03:48
Rob I always try to ride respectfully around town. I always believe you don't shit where you eat. However I do like to open it up where there's few houses or when I'm far enough away from home that I feel they won't see me again. If it's nite time, I always ride as quietly as possible regardless of where I am.

Completely agreed..

I have no interest in gaining undue attention, myself, but I do love a crisp "crack" when I do decide to "get on" her.....

Its a fine balance, as in everything else.....

Turbota
2nd August 2005, 03:49
Remember folks ... cutting a 1/2" to an inch off the inside end of the baffle does nothing at all to change the sound or how restrictive the baffle is. It just keeps the baffle from jamming in the pipe so it's easy to remove and replace later.

If you actually want the baffle to be even less restrictive than with just opening up the holes, you need to cut enough off the end of the baffle so you are also cutting down the diverter plate a little ... You are actually opening up the diverter plate a little like the pic below:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Turbota/DSCN0624.jpg

This photo really shows the diverter plate opened up a lot ... I doubt you want to go this far.

If you cut it too far down ... you might as well just remove the baffles altogather.

But, I can tell you ... you WILL make more power the less restricted the exhaust system is.

My RB Racing exhaust looses LOTS of seat of the pants power even with this cut-down baffle shoved in the end of the pipe.

Of course, you need to remember ... in my 2-1 system, ALL the exhaust is going through 1 pipe ... not 2 pipes like your SE exhaust, so that's why any baffle at all in my system 2-1 kills power. Your system has 2 pipes and is not as effected as bad as mine.

dagsportster
9th July 2006, 02:06
I just modded my SEII slip ons. Anyone else notice a difference in the closure amount of the diverter plate between the front and the rear mufflers? My front was maybe open 40% and closed 60%, while the back muffler looked more closed, like 20% open and 80% closed. Either they're different or I bent the diverter closed more when hammering it out with the broomstick.

So now my mufflers are asymmetrically modified. I cut part of the diverter plate out on the trailing edge to open up the unbaffled flow a bit. I cut out the first "square" just after it. On the front muffler, I had cut out two squares directly behind the diverter.

Unfortunately, I didn't have both baffles out at once to compare - DOH! Now that they're both cut and back in, I guess I'll never know. Anyone else notice any difference between the baffles on their SEII's?

Rod
8th September 2006, 03:35
I quite agree, Rob...

I think that's the ticket....

I may very well, however, add more holes...but that will be after the opening of the existing ones....

Anyone gone further than 3/8"? Added more holes??

Any input is appreciated..

Thanx!

I had the SEII on the bike and then switch to Cycle shacks slash cuts. The first ones sound deep and nice but not too loud, I didnt like that so I leave then in the box. The cycle shacks where fine.

So, just reading the forum get the idea (thanks!) :smoke
I drilled my SEII baffles, just bigger holes (10mm, a little bigger than 3/8")...

The sound is great!!! way more louder (like cycle shaks but with this deep tone that I love from the SEII)
The performance is great!! It feals like now I have more torque and dont have this restriction that I feel when I twist more than 3/4 of trottle.

I love my drilled SEII :banana :banana :banana :banana

Now, the cycle shacks are in the box ;)

dieselvette
8th September 2006, 20:55
I read all through this post and nobody says weather or not they left the steel wool/fiberglass packing inside or not.

Turbota or catolina - what'd you guys do with the packing?

I simply removed my packing and put the stock baffles back in for a louder sound. riding with the baffles & everything out definitely kills power.

I also tried cutting the ring off the end where it bolts in, then installing only the ring with no baffles inside, just the ring for a smaller hole on the end to eliminate the drag pipe effect of having wide open pipes. (the part inside the can that the front of the baffle slides around should be sufficient for anti-reversion). This is ok, but it definitely makes the most power with the baffles in. haven't tried drilling any holes in the baffles yet though.

I ended up going back to stock (SE II) baffles with no packing, for the best power/sound level compromise.

nic

dieselvette
9th September 2006, 02:02
By the way, the SE II pipes with an otherwise stock motor (with decent air cleaner), really aren't that good on the dyno compared to any other slip-on, or modified stock pipes.

They really aren't that bad, but they make a dip in the torque curve between 3000 and 4000, which means that when I am on the interstate (75-80 MPH) for miles and miles and miles, I get bad fuel economy.

If I had know 2 years ago what I know now, I would have stuck with stock until I could afford a supertrapp 2:1.