PDA

View Full Version : Route Planning

Terp84Alum
16th March 2008, 03:34
Is there a website (other than like a mapquest) that helps plan bike trips? Some friends and me are thinking of riding to Niagara Falls in May from Maryland. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Brad
16th March 2008, 03:45
This isn't a route planner, but it may point you to some good roads. If you find something that is interesting, just Mapquest to the starting point and from the end point.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/index.html

Haven't looked at much outside of my local area on that site, but it was pretty good. Lots of links too.

oldgrouch
16th March 2008, 03:47
I think theres also a trip planner at the HOG site if you are a member.

oldmetal
11th April 2008, 04:37
I'm an AAA member (mostly for the motorcycle, rather than the car) and they have a pretty extensive trip planning system/features.

ParrotHead
11th April 2008, 04:43
A guy I worked with stopped at a rest stop just over the PA border with NY on RT 15 and there was a park ranger or something similar at the visitors bureau who was able to print out a route for him back home to Newtown PA that was back roads for several 100 miles. No idea what they used, but try a visitor's bureau to see if they have something.

I normally use the map feature of mapquest and look for numbered routes that lead from my start point to my destination.

indyrednek
11th April 2008, 04:43
I think theres also a trip planner at the HOG site if you are a member.

There is one on the HD site and you no longer have to be a member to plan a route.

seantx
11th April 2008, 06:12
There is one on the HD site and you no longer have to be a member to plan a route.

Fact.

Click Me. (http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Ride_Planner/Ride_Planner.jsp?locale=en_US)

If I have a destination in mind but want to hit certain spots along the way, Google maps isn't bad. Was on there today poking around for my Three Sisters trip next weekend. :banana

williamv1203
11th April 2008, 09:33
I use Microsoft (Bill Gates be damned) Autoroute. :tour
The European version. I know there's a U.S. version. You probably have it on the MS Office installation CD's if you have this for your computer. It is great. You can figure shortest, scenic and quickest route. Calculate driving times with speeds, fuel comsumption, rest stops... :wonderlan