PDA

View Full Version : I think I've lost the faith

FigureOut
16th March 2008, 23:08
I bought Sportster because I've always liked 'em, and I especially liked the 07 1200 CT I got, it was just the right size for me, rode great, and had fuel injection, which I thought would help me on cold mornings and help me have less problems with the bike (I have a LOT of cold starts, as I go in to work real early, and my old bike had problems with that). But I don't know. Between the poor design of the bike itself (as regards to its workings, aesthetically I still think it's great) and the TERRIBLE service at my only Harley dealer in town, I am hating riding my bike, and thinking of trading it in, trying to get a car and take the hit. Or another bike (I really do love them), but not a Harley. It's not yet quite a year old, and it's been out of commission over a month of that time!

The first problem I had was when the battery died. I had not left the key in, so I knew it wasnít due to me; I didnít know what had caused it, but considering it is my only vehicle and I donít have a motorcycle trailer to hook up to anyone elseís vehicle, I went with the most hopeful scenario and brought in the battery, which checked out fine. The guy at the desk had no idea what the problem could possibly be. So I brought in the bike, and despite it being warranty work on a brand new Sportster, they made me wait a week before they would work on it. They were Ďtoo busyí. I had charged the battery, was able to drive it in, had to walk home and walk back the next day, when they told me that there was nothing wrong with the bike. They said they checked everything out and "everything checked out fine." They asked me something like 9 times whether I left the key in.

The next day, I had work (I work 24 hr periods as an EMT) and the bike did not start. Clearly a dead battery again. So I managed to get a ride, then had to go back the next day, again, after fully charging the battery. A promise theyíll look into it, and they tell me that theyíve found the problem this time. One of the technicians this time actually looked at the service bulletins (apparently they donít normally) and discovered one describing my problem pretty much exactly, and saying that it is caused by water getting into the fuse box. Apparently, this model of sportster (2007 1200CT) canít get wet, which is ridiculous. So they fix it. Again. And claim that they put non-conductive jelly in the fuse box to prevent it happening again.

I show up, and the bikeís not ready like they say it will be, and Iím told ďOh, itís because theyíve had the battery in the charger all night, so it'll work perfect for you!" Now, I know this means that they havenít actually checked therefore to see if theyíve fixed the problem. It means theyíve just followed the letter of the service bulletin and figure theyíre done. I have a sinking feeling, but I know that thereís nothing I can do. I take it home, and once again, in the morning, the bike. Does not. Start. At this juncture Iíve been without my only means of transportation, which Iím paying over 13000 for, for 3 weeks. Iím pretty upset, and I have work to go to. So I bring it in, yet again. And this time, I ask for a loaner. And Iím told they donít do that any more. Now, I didnít ask for a nice loaner. I didnít care. I just needed wheels and momentum. Enough to get to work and back at least, maybe to the corner store. I tell the head shop guy that no is not acceptable, and he says they have a ride system...but of course it doesnít run early enough to get me to work (0630). At that point he tells me ĎI donít know what you want me to do...itís not like we made your bikeí...considering they are an official Harley Dealer and I bought a brand new Harley bike, this understandably upsets me. I did not yell or anything, but I made it clear that was an unacceptable response. After being very resistant, for a while, he eventually says Ďheíllí pay for my loaner from the rental place that they run. As though I donít know that means heís just going to get it comped. And I get my loaner, and the next day they tell me the security module is busted, probably when the fuse box had its problem. And I have to wait for one to come in, and a little less than a week later I have my bike. And I donít touch anything inside the panel. I donít want to ruin anything, or see anything. I just want a working bike.

A few months pass.

Recently, the bike didnít start for me once. When I pressed the starter, I could hear the click of electrical contact being made, that thatís it. Not the 'clickclickclick' of it tryign to start but not being able to engage the starter motor, just a very quiet 'click' when I hit the button. Remove, reinsert the key, and it works fine. I make a note of it, thinking I need to check into it. It doesnít happen again. Then 3/14, the bike doesn't start for me before work, again. I get it to after removal and reinserting the key about half a dozen times. Iím almost late, but the bike drives. The next morning, it starts fine to go home. Later that day, I have to drive to my parentsí house. It does it again, taking five minutes of trying to get it to start. It is clearly an electrical problem due to the fact that the battery is fine and when it starts it starts perfectly like always. So I know that it most likely means another problem with the fuse box. Again. Same fuse box thatís been giving me problems before.

I know Iím in for a treat.

So I get to my parentís house and when itís time to leave, bike doesn't start. And no amount of key reinserting is helping. So I take off the side panel that covers the fuses. First thing I notice is that there is a wire with a dig in it, a black wire near the battery. Itís one of the cluster of wires. I do a crappy job of covering it with electrical tape, because I canít get at it without removing the battery. This does not bode well...they apparently messed up a wire. When I start looking at the fuses, I notice the complete lack of non-conductive jelly. On any of them. Great. I discover it seems to be a specific relay causing the problem, the starter relay. If I switch the relaysí positions, the starter works but the fuel pump doesnít. But on testing the relay, it test out fine. I put it back in, and my father, who owns a tool to verify weíre getting spark (I believe itís some sort of timing gun, I know we canít change the timing, he just hooked it to the positive terminal and grounded it and we were using it only to verify spark). When we were going to test that, the bike suddenly starts fine. So I try to drive it home, and the fuel pump dies on the way. We tow it to my house, where its sitting in the yard. And now I get to go in, with a problem in the fuse box, again, because I believe it to have been very poorly designed, I guess. I get to also argue with them about the nearly cut wire and the lack of conductive jelly.

I did all my scheduled maintenance myself, on schedule(though I had a problem with changing my primary lubrication, but I eventually did get it fixed, it just sucked. I actually posted here to get help, and you guys were great!). But the bike is still LESS THAN A YEAR OLD and despite being my only means of transport, has spent over a month not drivable.

I think I've lost the faith, and don't know what to do. Oh sure, they'll fight me but probably eventually fix the problem. But what about the next one and the next one and the next? and when it's out of warranty and therefore going to cost a pretty penny to fix? Am I going to have a probem every 4-6 months? We've all heard the jokes about getting a harley and spending time in the shop, but geeze, call me crazy, I didn't think they'd start RIGHT AWAY.

langner91
16th March 2008, 23:20
WTF is a 1200CT? Never heard of a T part before.

Hey, it happens. Someone will love you for trading it in.

el jinete fantasma
16th March 2008, 23:25
Me neither. T for terrible wiring?
Your bike is under warrantee, right? Make the dealership deal with it. Be a pain in their ass. Someone here made Harley take back her bike under CA's lemon law. If you're continually having the same problem, it's Harley's problem to fix. Just keep on top of it.

DRAWTOOL
16th March 2008, 23:34
You might have got a "lemon", I know Road Chick did, gotta lemon, gotta lawyer and gotta new bike. Lemons happen, shitty dealers/service happen, If you want to ride a Sporster, take these issues up a little higher on the HD food chain, get a lawyer and get their attention. Whip theys ass, whip it good.:spank
I'd wait for a few more responses here, others have done a bit of whoopin'.

BWP 5p
16th March 2008, 23:37
I have to wonder if you don't possibly have a bad ground wire to the frame and motor.....causing the battery not to charge properly and not providing the juice to start?

XLXR
16th March 2008, 23:37
Road Chick had so many of the identical problems on her 07 Nightster she called a lawyer who forced Harley to take her bike back because she qualified for the lemon law here in California. It still cost her a lot of money. She bought a Softtail Deluxe.

The key can be removed without actually switching it off, which drains the battery overnight.

Electrical problems are the worst, especially if the dealer can't fix them. Believe me, I am also tempted to go back to rice.

zrunnerz
16th March 2008, 23:46
What state do you live in? I know in NH this would quailify under lemon law after 3 service calls. I would check with your state DMV lemon laws. If they fail to meet the lemon law requirments, then you can get a brand new bike from them, no lawyer needed.

and that woudl be sweet! :banana

realarchstanton
16th March 2008, 23:50
i lost a month the first year on my 2007 1200c .one map sensor the dealer said i must have got wet somehow even though the bike had not been wet ,except when they washed it at service the week before ,even though i asked that it not be washed.the second was the voltage regulator.i have not lost faith in my bike but i would think twice about trading in for a more expensive harley.

66impala
16th March 2008, 23:54
Save all your documentation on every visit, every break down, every phone call with the time and person you talked to.

File a complaint with the beter business bureau against the dealership
File a complaint with http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ This is the government site for auto defects. Take the number they issue you and call the Moco and tell them you filed the complaint with Ntsb and your contacting a lawyer for the lemon law.

Let them kiss your azz not the other way around.

FigureOut
17th March 2008, 00:01
I'm in Az. Law here is 5 strikes...And I have to go to court. They get to deduct the 'depreciation of the vehicle'. It has to be 'the same issue'...though it's overall electrical, I don't know whether it would be arguable. And I coulda sworn my owner's manual listed it as 1200CT...I think it's just a 1200 C and the T, unless I'm crazy means something very small, or is just a placeholder or something. Could be I'm misremembering. Can't find my owner's manual at the moment to double-check.

mus
17th March 2008, 00:05
I do agree with 66impala.
Donīt know what a īlemon-lawī is, but in my opinion the biggest (and first) problem is your dealer :cloudmad, not only the bike!
Wishing you a lot of succes!

jcastino
17th March 2008, 00:11
[quote=FigureOut;1159111]I'm in Az. Law here is 5 strikes...And I have to go to court. They get to deduct the 'depreciation of the vehicle'. It has to be 'the same issue'...though it's overall electrical, I don't know whether it would be arguable. And I coulda sworn my owner's manual listed it as 1200CT...I think it's just a 1200 C and the T, unless I'm crazy means something very small, or is just a placeholder or something. Could be I'm misremembering. Can't find my owner's manual at the moment to double-check.[/quot

There are a bunch of good, smart and helpful people on this Forum that will help you to help yourself. But first things first: Find your manual and keep all your records up to date. Dates, specific problem, names and what was done and said to you.

Send a private message to Road Chick and use Her for a sounding board. She just got done dealing with this crap but did get HD to buy a new bike.

After you have done the above, find an Attorney should you be thinking you might have a case. Also, place a call to HD Headquarters. BE SURE TO CONTACT ROAD CHICK!!!!!!

FigureOut
17th March 2008, 00:15
Yeah, I'm sorry, it's just a 1200 C, the CT I had in my head is from the VIN code, in the VIN a 1200 C is a CT....I guess the T indicates it's 1200, as CP is 883 Custom. Regardless, sorry, should have just said 1200XLC.

LuxBlue
17th March 2008, 00:26
I'm in Az. Law here is 5 strikes...And I have to go to court. They get to deduct the 'depreciation of the vehicle'. It has to be 'the same issue'...though it's overall electrical, I don't know whether it would be arguable. And I coulda sworn my owner's manual listed it as 1200CT...I think it's just a 1200 C and the T, unless I'm crazy means something very small, or is just a placeholder or something. Could be I'm misremembering. Can't find my owner's manual at the moment to double-check.

CT = Abbreviation for CusTom??????? Sounds like you have a goober Stealer; at least the service department. I have a similar situation here in PA. I literally live 2 miles from the Stealer I bought the bike from. I will buy parts from them (their parts guys are great) if I do the work but using their service department is another issue. I now willingly travel 25 miles to another Stealer if I need service. I had it with the other shop.

Sleeper
17th March 2008, 00:46
I have to wonder if you don't possibly have a bad ground wire to the frame and motor.....causing the battery not to charge properly and not providing the juice to start?

Excellent suggestion, had the same problem with my nephews Suzuki, It was a bitch to find but that's exactly what I found.

I totally agree with the others here, document everything and start going over the piss-ant service managers head if responses and results aren't happening in a timely manner.

Billsxl1200c
17th March 2008, 01:10
Look into the lemon laws in your state. We (wife and I) bought her a 2000 Subaru Outback and it had problems that not even the dealer or the factory tech they sent out on problem cases could fix. It was in over a dozen times for the same problem and about 3 months in the shop.

The last time we had the same problem was when the factory tech worked on it (the judge allowed them #1 final time to fix the problem), it broke down again the following day right across from the Subaru Factory in Lafayette, Indiana (we are from a far west burb of Chicago on our way to the Indy 500). I limped it home (it downshifted into 1st gear at 65mph and wouldn't up shift...the problem they said they fixed (again)...just a little bit dangeous). (I did call Subaru Roadside (lack of ) Assistance and was told they would tow the car to a dealer (they all were closed) but we would have to find our own way home from Indiana. Which is why I drove the car back home.)

Subaru did buy-back the car, but we had to get another Subaru. The replacement did come with the extended warranty that was put to its limit.
In the last year of the extended warranty the trans went out, head gasket blew, engine started making noise that they couldn't or wouldn't fix, and assorted other problems for over 10K all covered on extended warranty.

My point is, fight for your rights! Document everything, persons, dates, times, repairs, receipts. Don't make idol threats, go to your local court and file. It's amazing how a letter from the courts or a lawyer gets the ball rolling. And the hardest thing to do, don't get mad and angry at the people trying to resolve the situation. If you get them mad, the can make you jump through more red tape.

Just my 2 cents....

XLXR
17th March 2008, 01:26
Call Harley customer service, get a name, and send them a letter to put it all in writing. Include all the receipt numbers, dates. I am sure they are beginning to hear this more often than we know about.

The parts book uses different initials to refer to different models. I assume that is where the CT comes from.

SpartanDen
17th March 2008, 01:28
I agree with everyone else...document everything! You might be surprised how the court will treat you when you can present documentation. And this documentation should (and must) include everything that has happened, what you did, your trips to the dealer, conversations, phone calls....everything. Write a diary. Hell write a novel, just make sure you write down each and every event that happens to your bike. You can bet your a$$ the dealer won't do this....they'll work off their "expert" memory.
I used to be a mechanic for an Oldsmobile dealership. You do get a crap car, a lemon, from time to time. No explaination other than that group of plastic and metal just don't like each other. If you decide not to get another Sportster, that's your choice. And I could not blame you. Just remember that there are alot of good bikes out there. Sportsters and otherwise.
Good luck....and keep us posted.

PaulDM
17th March 2008, 01:34
You got a lemon partner. My 07 XL 883 has 9600 miles since June and one change of spark plugs and fluids changed when due I just keep stuff tightened up and replace crappy factory parts, its gone 2800 miles in 8 days and is a daily driver except for crapy winter weather. I've ridden it when it was so cold it might stop when idling, happened once. Never failed to start and idles while I am inside getting geared up. The only mechanical problem I have had is the stupid street performance SE mufflers have a flat spot from idle/low speed riding in lower gears? Thinking about a SERF to cure that if fiddling with the baffle doesn't.

Warranty work has consisted of (get this) replacing the front tire after I demonstrated the flat tire I found one day leaving Church, had the valve stem cap, wedged between the rim and tire when the bead was popped and it left its impression on the tire and caused the tire to run off center. No cost to me including pick up and yes I did have photos and the valve cap in my hand! I made them acknowledge the factory screwup! and oh yes they stuck some idiot heat shield on the back cylinder shield? threw that away...

:banana

W00dy
17th March 2008, 01:40
I bought Sportster because I've always liked 'em, and I especially liked the 07 1200 CT I got, it was just the right size for me, rode great, and had fuel injection, which I thought would help me on cold mornings and help me have less problems with the bike (I have a LOT of cold starts, as I go in to work real early, and my old bike had problems with that). But I don't know. Between the poor design of the bike itself (as regards to its workings, aesthetically I still think it's great) and the TERRIBLE service at my only Harley dealer in town, I am hating riding my bike, and thinking of trading it in, trying to get a car and take the hit. Or another bike (I really do love them), but not a Harley. It's not yet quite a year old, and it's been out of commission over a month of that time!

The first problem I had was when the battery died. I had not left the key in, so I knew it wasnít due to me; I didnít know what had caused it, but considering it is my only vehicle and I donít have a motorcycle trailer to hook up to anyone elseís vehicle, I went with the most hopeful scenario and brought in the battery, which checked out fine. The guy at the desk had no idea what the problem could possibly be. So I brought in the bike, and despite it being warranty work on a brand new Sportster, they made me wait a week before they would work on it. They were Ďtoo busyí. I had charged the battery, was able to drive it in, had to walk home and walk back the next day, when they told me that there was nothing wrong with the bike. They said they checked everything out and "everything checked out fine." They asked me something like 9 times whether I left the key in.

The next day, I had work (I work 24 hr periods as an EMT) and the bike did not start. Clearly a dead battery again. So I managed to get a ride, then had to go back the next day, again, after fully charging the battery. A promise theyíll look into it, and they tell me that theyíve found the problem this time. One of the technicians this time actually looked at the service bulletins (apparently they donít normally) and discovered one describing my problem pretty much exactly, and saying that it is caused by water getting into the fuse box. Apparently, this model of sportster (2007 1200CT) canít get wet, which is ridiculous. So they fix it. Again. And claim that they put non-conductive jelly in the fuse box to prevent it happening again.

I show up, and the bikeís not ready like they say it will be, and Iím told ďOh, itís because theyíve had the battery in the charger all night, so it'll work perfect for you!" Now, I know this means that they havenít actually checked therefore to see if theyíve fixed the problem. It means theyíve just followed the letter of the service bulletin and figure theyíre done. I have a sinking feeling, but I know that thereís nothing I can do. I take it home, and once again, in the morning, the bike. Does not. Start. At this juncture Iíve been without my only means of transportation, which Iím paying over 13000 for, for 3 weeks. Iím pretty upset, and I have work to go to. So I bring it in, yet again. And this time, I ask for a loaner. And Iím told they donít do that any more. Now, I didnít ask for a nice loaner. I didnít care. I just needed wheels and momentum. Enough to get to work and back at least, maybe to the corner store. I tell the head shop guy that no is not acceptable, and he says they have a ride system...but of course it doesnít run early enough to get me to work (0630). At that point he tells me ĎI donít know what you want me to do...itís not like we made your bikeí...considering they are an official Harley Dealer and I bought a brand new Harley bike, this understandably upsets me. I did not yell or anything, but I made it clear that was an unacceptable response. After being very resistant, for a while, he eventually says Ďheíllí pay for my loaner from the rental place that they run. As though I donít know that means heís just going to get it comped. And I get my loaner, and the next day they tell me the security module is busted, probably when the fuse box had its problem. And I have to wait for one to come in, and a little less than a week later I have my bike. And I donít touch anything inside the panel. I donít want to ruin anything, or see anything. I just want a working bike.

A few months pass.

Recently, the bike didnít start for me once. When I pressed the starter, I could hear the click of electrical contact being made, that thatís it. Not the 'clickclickclick' of it tryign to start but not being able to engage the starter motor, just a very quiet 'click' when I hit the button. Remove, reinsert the key, and it works fine. I make a note of it, thinking I need to check into it. It doesnít happen again. Then 3/14, the bike doesn't start for me before work, again. I get it to after removal and reinserting the key about half a dozen times. Iím almost late, but the bike drives. The next morning, it starts fine to go home. Later that day, I have to drive to my parentsí house. It does it again, taking five minutes of trying to get it to start. It is clearly an electrical problem due to the fact that the battery is fine and when it starts it starts perfectly like always. So I know that it most likely means another problem with the fuse box. Again. Same fuse box thatís been giving me problems before.

I know Iím in for a treat.

So I get to my parentís house and when itís time to leave, bike doesn't start. And no amount of key reinserting is helping. So I take off the side panel that covers the fuses. First thing I notice is that there is a wire with a dig in it, a black wire near the battery. Itís one of the cluster of wires. I do a crappy job of covering it with electrical tape, because I canít get at it without removing the battery. This does not bode well...they apparently messed up a wire. When I start looking at the fuses, I notice the complete lack of non-conductive jelly. On any of them. Great. I discover it seems to be a specific relay causing the problem, the starter relay. If I switch the relaysí positions, the starter works but the fuel pump doesnít. But on testing the relay, it test out fine. I put it back in, and my father, who owns a tool to verify weíre getting spark (I believe itís some sort of timing gun, I know we canít change the timing, he just hooked it to the positive terminal and grounded it and we were using it only to verify spark). When we were going to test that, the bike suddenly starts fine. So I try to drive it home, and the fuel pump dies on the way. We tow it to my house, where its sitting in the yard. And now I get to go in, with a problem in the fuse box, again, because I believe it to have been very poorly designed, I guess. I get to also argue with them about the nearly cut wire and the lack of conductive jelly.

I did all my scheduled maintenance myself, on schedule(though I had a problem with changing my primary lubrication, but I eventually did get it fixed, it just sucked. I actually posted here to get help, and you guys were great!). But the bike is still LESS THAN A YEAR OLD and despite being my only means of transport, has spent over a month not drivable.

I think I've lost the faith, and don't know what to do. Oh sure, they'll fight me but probably eventually fix the problem. But what about the next one and the next one and the next? and when it's out of warranty and therefore going to cost a pretty penny to fix? Am I going to have a probem every 4-6 months? We've all heard the jokes about getting a harley and spending time in the shop, but geeze, call me crazy, I didn't think they'd start RIGHT AWAY.
yo man stop the bitchen. First you should be under warrenty. also you bought a harley so expect some problems some times. my suggestion is either trade in so tht you don't have any more bad days or toughen up and deal with the issue. also what is a CT that model doesn't exsist. Riding isn't for everyone.

Gone
17th March 2008, 02:39
yo man stop the bitchen. First you should be under warrenty. also you bought a harley so expect some problems some times. my suggestion is either trade in so tht you don't have any more bad days or toughen up and deal with the issue. also what is a CT that model doesn't exsist. Riding isn't for everyone.

Welcome to the forum; you are correct, the warranty SHOULD solve the issue but, if not, who cares? The owner.

As an owner, when I buy something new, I don't expect to have to deal with anything. That is the manufacturer's issue, not the owners. And the service department that serviced his bike won't be in business too long, unless, of course, they can pass the discrepancy off with, "Well, we didn't build it." What kind of MoCo loyalty is that? What a damned copout! Those guys are obviously losers dressed as Harley mechanics!

I expect figureout has higher expectations for his $13,000 investment. Shouldn't we all?

Screw Loose Dan
17th March 2008, 02:59
Sorry to hear that you feel this way. I personally think you would be better off learning a little more about your bike and how electrical systems work (or at least how to troubleshoot them). The Service Bulletin that regards the fuse box has been discussed quite a bit on here. If I recall correctly, the SB only states to clean the relay terminals and apply dielectric to those terminals. I don't remember reading anything about the SB stating to apply dielectric grease to the fuses (not that it wouldn't be a good idea). I think the BIGGEST oversight in the SB is they state to clean the terminals and reinstall the relays. :frownthre REPLACE THE FREAKING RELAYS!!! If there is corrosion on the outside, it has undoubtedly creeped to the inside. I learned this the hard way. It's a $12 relay. No biggie. I personally don't use the dealer any more, and spending $12 so I don't have to deal with their aggravation seems like a bargain. I replaced the voltage regulator myself as well (~ $100) so I wouldn't have to be aggravated by the dealer. Still a bargain.

Don't let the little things get you down. I avoid the dealer like the plague. Your not likely to get satisfaction there. If that's not acceptable, yeah maybe it's time to move on.

AB,Frank
17th March 2008, 03:02
Welcome to the forum; you are correct, the warranty SHOULD solve the issue but, if not, who cares? The owner.

As an owner, when I buy something new, I don't expect to have to deal with anything. That is the manufacturer's issue, not the owners. And the service department that serviced his bike won't be in business too long, unless, of course, they can pass the discrepancy off with, "Well, we didn't build it." What kind of MoCo loyalty is that? What a damned copout! Those guys are obviously losers dressed as Harley mechanics!

I expect figureout has higher expectations for his $13,000 investment. Shouldn't we all?

Amen to that......I think you hit this right on the nose wacosporty...

jms969
21st March 2008, 21:14

That is the worst advice I've ever heard. This is a new bike, his primary transportation and it has been out of service for one whole month in less than a year, and the stealer is a dick!!! He needs to rip everybody that is involved a new asshole!!!

Rascal
21st March 2008, 21:35
You might have got a "lemon", I know Road Chick did, gotta lemon, gotta lawyer and gotta new bike. Lemons happen, shitty dealers/service happen, If you want to ride a Sporster, take these issues up a little higher on the HD food chain, get a lawyer and get their attention. Whip theys ass, whip it good.:spank
I'd wait for a few more responses here, others have done a bit of whoopin'.

I agree 100 percent with Drawtool, they owe you, make them make it right!

DIESEL
21st March 2008, 21:45
Have them replace the wiring harness. Same issue with Sylvia's bike. I also got my $$ back for the original dead battery.

jamnjc3
22nd March 2008, 07:06
CT = Abbreviation for CusTom??????? Sounds like you have a goober Stealer; at least the service department. I have a similar situation here in PA. I literally live 2 miles from the Stealer I bought the bike from. I will buy parts from them (their parts guys are great) if I do the work but using their service department is another issue. I now willingly travel 25 miles to another Stealer if I need service. I had it with the other shop.

Aloha, what "Stealer's" are you talking about, Is one of them Battlefield???

jamnjc3
22nd March 2008, 07:15
Sorry to hear that you feel this way. I personally think you would be better off learning a little more about your bike and how electrical systems work (or at least how to troubleshoot them). The Service Bulletin that regards the fuse box has been discussed quite a bit on here. If I recall correctly, the SB only states to clean the relay terminals and apply dielectric to those terminals. I don't remember reading anything about the SB stating to apply dielectric grease to the fuses (not that it wouldn't be a good idea). I think the BIGGEST oversight in the SB is they state to clean the terminals and reinstall the relays. :frownthre REPLACE THE FREAKING RELAYS!!! If there is corrosion on the outside, it has undoubtedly creeped to the inside. I learned this the hard way. It's a $12 relay. No biggie. I personally don't use the dealer any more, and spending $12 so I don't have to deal with their aggravation seems like a bargain. I replaced the voltage regulator myself as well (~ $100) so I wouldn't have to be aggravated by the dealer. Still a bargain.

Don't let the little things get you down. I avoid the dealer like the plague. Your not likely to get satisfaction there. If that's not acceptable, yeah maybe it's time to move on.

Sorry I cant agree even a little. I have ALWAYS worked on my own bikes. But part of the reason I bought a NEW bike is because I dont want to have to wrench on it, its new and shouldnt have to!!!!! Thats usually the whole point of buying new. As he said in a post he doesnt even want too see wires much less work on it. Sorry about your raw deal. If nothing else I would contact someone at HQ and have them call the dealer you have dealt with. If you have another dealer fairly close go to them and tell them about whats been up with your bike, see if they will look into the problem and come up with a solution. Some dealers are GREAT and some suck ass!! But whatever you do file that complaint with the BBB on that HD dealer. Good luck!! I have an 01 Honda SS750. Never had a problem AT ALL. My new 08 Nightster has been too the dealer 3 times for problems now! There is another problem I aint even gonna waste my time messin with because everyone that replied to my post said there isnt any kind of fix... its the gas light coming on whenever the hell it wants. Again Good luck to ya!!!:frownthre:(:frownone

jamnjc3
22nd March 2008, 07:18
That is the worst advice I've ever heard. This is a new bike, his primary transportation and it has been out of service for one whole month in less than a year, and the stealer is a dick!!! He needs to rip everybody that is involved a new asshole!!!

For Sure!!!!!!! Why would you even say "Riding isnt for everyone"??? Do you work at that dealer he is having the problem with? Seriously? LOL

Screw Loose Dan
22nd March 2008, 08:01
Sorry I cant agree even a little. I have ALWAYS worked on my own bikes. But part of the reason I bought a NEW bike is because I dont want to have to wrench on it, its new and shouldnt have to!!!!! Thats usually the whole point of buying new. As he said in a post he doesnt even want too see wires much less work on it. Sorry about your raw deal.

Feel free to disagree all you want. :rolleyes: It was my honest opinion, nothing more. Wasn't trying to put the original poster down or anything. Just my take on it. A different way of looking at things.

My guess is most of the 1 month down time the OP
is complaining about is just waiting to get an appointment (he alludes to this in that it took them a week to get him in the first time). This is my biggest complaint about dealers. It does absolutely suck that he was without his bike for a month when they probably only spent a few hours actually working on it (I realize I'm making some pretty sweeping presumptions here, but none of the work is listed above is all that much work).

The point I was trying to make was that there are some things you can do for yourself rather easily and cheaply to get yourself down the road rather then being without your bike for a week. Also, being informed when you step into the dealer may help things go smoother.

I will say this about Harley Dealers...ALL that I have ever dealt with while on a road trip are EXTREMELY accommodating to travelers. The BEST experience ever was at Central HD in Olathe, KS. Called late in the day to let them know I needed rear brakes. They asked to stop by first thing in the morning. They brought my bike in 15 minutes before they opened...they were done 15 minutes after they opened.

I guess I'm too cynical and jaded at this point in my life to think I'm really going to make a difference by bitching about it. But hey, do what you want. No offense meant to anyone.

unfiguroutable
22nd March 2008, 08:10

thats what happened to mine. no ground = open in a DC circuit. easy fix though. I used the lugs from one of my old cars sub woofers to fix it. less than 2 hours work. 1 hour really but I was drinking.

Lud
22nd March 2008, 15:28

you dont work for the DEALER do you ?

if thats the only words of wisdom you can come up with, maybe you shoulda sat on the pan a little longer before posting it... :frownthre

complain to everyone you can and push for a replacement .. GOOD LUUCK
i hope to god i dont have this amount of aggrovation with mine...

cbnightster
22nd March 2008, 17:55
I can't believe that some of you complain about a non issue "CT" when the guy is having a problem.

CN= XL 883
CP= XL 883C
CR= XL 883L
CS= XL 883R
CV= XL 1200R
CT= XL 1200C
CX= XL 1200L
CY= XL 50th
CZ= XL 1200N.
Parts book and Service Manual model indentification!

I had a problem with my 1200N. It would die occasionally when I hit the start switch. The problem was the Negative battery clamp was loose and when the engine rocked during starting it hit the frame and cause an intermittent open and I lost all power to the bike. It also arced so bad it threw sparks and melted the clamp screw. All dealer induced since they replaced the battery the day I bought the bike. I took it in twice for this problem and I ended up finding the problem when I saw the sparks. What are you gonna do?
I took the clamp screw in and they gave me another one, they were also quite embarrassed and apologetic.
I recommend you find another dealer if you can! Two sets of eyes are better than one.
:tour
CB

Gone
22nd March 2008, 18:12

Wow......Way to help out there dude! "You bought a Harley, so expect some problems sometimes.....???" lol, the MoCo oughta have you in the advertising department! What a way with words......

For the OP: Most states have some kind of lemon law-take advantage of it. If you're dead set on getting that bike fixed properly and keeping it-ask around for a GOOD dealer (they do exist, believe it or not) and get it worked on there. There's nothing in the warranty that says you have to have the dealer that sold it to you fix it. And, tell everyone that'll listen to you about the bad dealer. I can tell you from personal experience that dealers DO NOT like getting phone calls from Milwaukee regarding pissed off customers!

jasonious
23rd March 2008, 08:56
Ride a Honda