PDA

View Full Version : Riding in the wind...skills maker!

DM-SC
4th December 2005, 22:37
Ok, so this is just my opinion but, hey, we all have them, don't we? :doh

Paula and I did an 80-mile ride this afternoon. Very nice...temp was around 70F. The only problem (if you want to call it that) was the wind...10-15 and gusting a bit higher. Not horrible but, given that I have only been riding the road sofa for 6 days...well, a little intimidating. :o

As we were riding along...somewhere in the middle of the ride, I thought to myself..."this sort of riding can really teach you about bike control". I had to make adjustments quite frequently that I would not have to do had it been less windy. A push here and push there...I was really having to stay focused to stay on top of what the wind was doing to us.

Now I'm not recommending anybody head out on a long ride the next time the a Hurricane comes a calling. No, the wind can be dangerous! Many a rider as been hurt of killed due to wind pushing them in to oncoming traffic or off the road! Caution is required in windy conditions and like so many other obstacles to safe riding, it must be respected...

Having said that, a lot can be learned from a nice fall ride in the wind...:tour

Mr Jimi
4th December 2005, 22:46
Ok, so this is just my opinion but, hey, we all have them, don't we? :doh

Paula and I did an 80-mile ride this afternoon. Very nice...temp was around 70F. The only problem (if you want to call it that) was the wind...10-15 and gusting a bit higher. Not horrible but, given that I have only been riding the road sofa for 6 days...well, a little intimidating. :o

As we were riding along...somewhere in the middle of the ride, I thought to myself..."this sort of riding can really teach you about bike control". I had to make adjustments quite frequently that I would not have to do had it been less windy. A push here and push there...I was really having to stay focused to stay on top of what the wind was doing to us.

Now I'm not recommending anybody head out on a long ride the next time the a Hurricane comes a calling. No, the wind can be dangerous! Many a rider as been hurt of killed due to wind pushing them in to oncoming traffic or off the road! Caution is required in windy conditions and like so many other obstacles to safe riding, it must be respected...

Having said that, a lot can be learned from a nice fall ride in the wind...:tour

After reading your posting, and Yes it was very interesting.
you may want to take some flying lessons and really learn about wind and its effects on all of us.
We all get cross winds, and head winds that effect us in different ways.
A head wind is on our chest, A crosswind is blowing us of to one side or the other and a tailwind is on our rear, pushing us forward.
I always have a headwind? go figure?
Enjoy the ride:)
Jim:tour

dooley
4th December 2005, 22:47
Same thing here in NC.
Diahanna and I did about 120mi.today. Shes been riding just under a year,and gets a bit paranoid of wind and rain.
Told her to remember her bicycling days,and just lean into the wind,when she feels it pushing.
As always,she did great,and is progressing faster tham I ever thought she would.
A year ago,she couldnt drive a standard at all.
Now,if I can just get her to care about maintaining her bike,and learning the mechanical ins and outs of owning a motorcycle.....her attitude is.. "thats what I have you for"

DM-SC
4th December 2005, 22:57
Now,if I can just get her to care about maintaining her bike,and learning the mechanical ins and outs of owning a motorcycle.....her attitude is.. "thats what I have you for"

Good luck with that! :roflblack

Paula tells me the exact same thing...:rolleyes:

Jimbo999
4th December 2005, 23:19
Wind is a challenge but not dangerous unless it's extreme. Anything under 40MPH is acceptable in any direction.
Why do I say this ????
Because I got knocked into the curb in 35MPH winds New Years day of 2002. Slid about 50' into mud but no injury to me. Bike dammage was $750. I made it a point to learn and feel how to deal with the gusts and FLOAT through them.

I live on Route 66, Lots of 18 wheelers and the winds here are mostly cross ways. Sometimes feels like a wall when you pass one going the other way.
Don't overcontrol.....Stay in the middle of the lane and "Don't get too close to
the outside" Counter-Steering is the most important factor here. Keeps
you leaning into the resistance without overcompensating.

BTW: There's a sweet spot about 60' behind a semi where you can ride
and there's no wind at all. Just be on your toes and it almost pulls you along.

Anybody want to correct me.....Fine.

P.S. I'll see if I still have pics of my N.Y.Day incident.

DM-SC
4th December 2005, 23:23
Don't overcontrol.....Stay in the middle of the lane and "Don't get too close to the outside" Counter-Steering is the most important factor here. Keeps you leaning into the resistance without overcontrol.

That's it...excellent description! :smoke

tonyhds
4th December 2005, 23:25
I agree with you on the wind

Cross winds and gusts can be little scary

Head winds can really kill your gas milage, espially with a windshield

Tail winds are Sweet

tonyhds
4th December 2005, 23:31
Wind is a challenge but not dangerous unless it's extreme. Anything under 40MPH is acceptable in any direction.
Why do I say this ????
Because I got knocked into the curb in 35MPH winds New Years day of 2002. Slid about 50' into mud but no injury to me. Bike dammage was $750. I made it a point to learn and feel how to deal with the gusts and FLOAT through them.

I live on Route 66, Lots of 18 wheelers and the winds here are mostly cross ways. Sometimes feels like a wall when you pass one going the other way.
Don't overcontrol.....Stay in the middle of the lane and "Don't get too close to
the outside" Counter-Steering is the most important factor here. Keeps
you leaning into the resistance without overcontrol.

BTW: There's a sweet spot about 60' behind a semi where you can ride safely

P.S. I'll see if I still have pics of my N.Y.Day incident.

One problem following a semi is you can't see what is in front of them, and when they run over road debris, they throw it up with very little time to react.

Jimbo999
4th December 2005, 23:38
One problem following a semi is you can't see what is in front of them, and when they run over road debis, they throw it up with very little time to react.

Yup, You're right. I weave off to the left and check ahead but move behind
often, Depends on terrain.

GOTWA
4th December 2005, 23:59
Wind does force concentration and does make you focus.

Here we have the Palouse Plateau and the Columbia River Basin. Mucho wind!!! Ask Y2K!

The Palouse is all rolling hills, wheat country. So when you're riding along and you pass one hill, you get blasted by a gust of wind from the draw between it and the next hill. The wind pressurizes in this gap and comes blasting across the highway.

SO you're trucking along with a gentle side breeze, then BAM! So ya correct, come back center, then lean into the wind. Then you cross the plain of the next hill and WOOSH! Gentle breeze again. Only you're leaned over at like 1000 degree angle because of the wicked blast you were just in. So now you're zooming across the road.

So you correct, come back center, and BAM! It starts all over again. :doh

It's way worse down on the Basin. Deep gorges and ravines that really get the wind the wind pushing. And huge long stretches of nothing so down there 15mph is a calm breeze.

DM-SC
5th December 2005, 01:42
Gotwa, that's bascially what we were riding in today...though to a lesser degree, I'm sure. Our route took us well away from the city. Mostly forest areas where the wind was noticable but, not extreme.

Then, we'd come to a section where there was farm land on both sides of us! Now THAT'S when the FUN started! Lots of swirling wind...:rolleyes:

Scooter_Trash
5th December 2005, 17:29
Forrest? I'm trying t remember the last time I've seen a tree along the highway around here. :D We have a year-round cross wind with nothing to block it around here. I guess occasionally there is a small hill beside the road, but for the most part, it's flat farmland. It's even worse in western KS. I really feel sorry for them. :tour

kmssporty05
5th December 2005, 17:53
Here in WI there are everchanging plots of flat land/forest/flat land.
The crosswind gusts are scary. You have to anticipate them and be ready.
The Sporty even at almost 600 lbs., is buffeted pretty strong by the winds. I wonder how the lighter bikes handle this.

Gone
7th December 2005, 04:02

BTW: There's a sweet spot about 60' behind a semi where you can ride

You must enjoy reading the graffiti

I notice all the pieces of tire left on the road from big rigs.....and give them LOTS of room. If one of those re-treads comes off when you're 60 feet back...it's gonna be a bad scene.:frownthre

DM-SC
7th December 2005, 13:28
You must enjoy reading the graffiti

I notice all the pieces of tire left on the road from big rigs.....and give them LOTS of room. If one of those re-treads comes off when you're 60 feet back...it's gonna be a bad scene.:frownthre

Yep...you are correct! :(

I had a piece of big rig retread smash the right front of an Olds I used to have. It did over a $1,000 in damage...can only imagine the pain and suffering I'd have recieved if I'd been on the scoot...:frownthre