PDA

View Full Version : off centre front wheel

dmh
5th December 2005, 01:28
does anyone else have an offset front wheel,mine is a 93 hugger ?

Gone
5th December 2005, 04:48
How offset is it?

Customer bought a rim, and was lacing it this past week (2000 Sportster.) Called me and wanted to know about the correct offset... his factory rim was off by an eigth or so to one side. Apparently, it had plenty of run-out and hop as well.

Anyway, the rim should be centered, side to side.

dmh
5th December 2005, 08:40
How offset is it?

Customer bought a rim, and was lacing it this past week (2000 Sportster.) Called me and wanted to know about the correct offset... his factory rim was off by an eigth or so to one side. Apparently, it had plenty of run-out and hop as well.

Anyway, the rim should be centered, side to side.
I would say probably the same as your customer,it seems to spin true enough but definitely not in the centre of the forks,

Gone
5th December 2005, 17:21
Measure the "centeredness" of the rim against the hub flanges, not the forks. Either against the disc flanges, or the lips around the bearing recesses. Should be the same on both sides.

Best regards,
cjl

Mark_Bench
5th December 2005, 17:31
I have seen quite a few sportys with wheels that are off by up to 1/8th of an inch...I only noticed when I was changing wheels on mine last year. so I started checking others(dealers bikes of friends and about 3/4) of the ones I checked were slightly off center.

cadiero
6th December 2005, 01:17
According to the info I got brom Buchanan, some of the older Harleys were off centered and were supposed to be that way.

The service manual for each specific bike will say how off centered they should be. This should always be consulted before lacing a new wheel.

Gone
6th December 2005, 04:49
Sportsters are all centered as far back as I can tell, to '79 at least.

dmh
6th December 2005, 08:53
well i spoke to my local shop and he says its not unusual,but im going to have the wheels powdercoated so the front one can be rebuilt as it should be.