PDA

View Full Version : Spoke Wheels

BlackSkull883
19th January 2005, 21:46
Anyone changed out the front cast aluminum wheels on an 04 or later sporty and put on a set of laced wheels? How much and where'd you get them?

Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks!

DharmaWheels
20th January 2005, 04:27
If you're sticking with Harley, go with the new "profile laced" wheels, very sweet.

I've heard good things about Landmark wheels, their 60 or 80 twisted spokes look spectacular. Lot of work keeping them clean, but I bet the looks will be worth it.

Turbota
20th January 2005, 04:50
Do yourself a favor, and keep your stock Roadster 19" cast wheels .....

Those large diameter Custom 21" spoked front wheels will degrade your handling.

IronMick
20th January 2005, 04:56
I agree with Turbota. My EVO has 21" front; the Iron has the smaller [16"?] spoked wheel. The handling difference is very noticable. The smaller, wider front tire is a much better ride, especially on sand or gravel. However, if you want the looks of that big, skinny front tire then go for it.

AWOL
20th January 2005, 05:01
or you can get a 19" spoked wheel. thats what i run, it came off a Dyna SuperGlide.
then you get the handling, and the looks you want.

i have an 01 1200. so i'm not sure, but i think the Roadster has the same front end.

BlackSkull883
20th January 2005, 05:02
Isn't there a 19" spoked front wheel out there somewhere though? I don't really care much about the size of the wheel, I just like the look of those spokes!

BlackSkull883
20th January 2005, 05:03
Awol - you posted right before me and answered my question. So I could look for a Dyna 19" spoke wheel, hopefully used and in good shape. All about getting one on the cheap.

AWOL
20th January 2005, 05:03
yes, see above, we posted same time

AWOL
20th January 2005, 05:04
rodger that.
ya i traded the guy with the dyna for my 21". he loves the looks, and i was very happy as well.

Turbota
20th January 2005, 05:15
I think you should have bought a Custom!

Maybe I don't get the "Big Picture" ... These guys will buy an 883 04-05 Roadster. First mod is to get rid of the Roadster 'peanut' tank for something bigger. Then lets get rid of the cast front wheel for a spoked wheel. Next on the list is to lower the bike ... Well, what we have basically done is create a Custom out of a Roadster.

But, were not done yet .... We initially purchased an 883. Somewhere down on the "Mod List" we are going to turn this engine into a 1200.

I'm not trying to insult anyone here, but, why not just buy a new XL 1200 Custom to begin with?

Confused ..... :confused:

BlackSkull883
20th January 2005, 07:01
The more I think about it, the more I wish I would've bought a 1200 custom. At the time though I couldn't afford one. I think once I get the spoke wheels, forward controls and a 1200 I'll be happy! :laugh

Oh, and the peanut tank is staying.... that's one thing I don't think I'll ever want to change.

collinsb
20th January 2005, 09:02
Blackskull'
You are just having a little "buyers remorse"! It could go away tomorrow or in a few days. I've never met a rider who didn't change seats, wheels, handlebars, exhaust, etc from the original package. Rider's are forever changing and switching accessories on their Harley's. If you decide you like laced wheels, buy some and put them on. Keep your original as you might want to replace them the following month.

Billy Alwayschangingstuff

BlackSkull883
20th January 2005, 16:12
Youre right! After all, it's the "journey" and not the destination. I'm sure no one will ever be finished making their sporty exactly how they want it. :rolleyes:

E00i3
20th January 2005, 17:05
I have gone through some minor changes on my 03! Handlebars, seats, sissy bars, saddle bags... 100th Anniversary chrome... I have the spoke wheels 19(Front) 16(Rear). I have been going back in forth on non-spoke wheels and keeping my spoke wheels or 21 inch rim or 19 inch? But this is normal for all Harley owners... What can I change next? I had buyers remorse at the beginning because I liked the look of the custom but i could not afford it at the time. But after hearing that the 19s handle better, I felt better about my decision. I am a new rider, and I doubt this will be my last bike... So maybe next I will get that Custom!!!

Ed

mike
23rd January 2005, 17:54
Anyone changed out the front cast aluminum wheels on an 04 or later sporty and put on a set of laced wheels? How much and where'd you get them?

I bought my '04 1200R off the showroom with cast wheels but ordered a set of laced wheels at the same time and had the dealer swap them out when they came in a week later. The dealer charged $400 for the pair, installed, and gave me the original cast wheels back.

When I first told the salesman I wanted laced wheels, he brought a technician out and asked him if the laced wheels from a Dyna would fit a Sportster. The tech said yes, so as far as I know they just ordered a set of OEM wheels for a Dyna and put them on mine. There's nothing special about the wheels (no stainless spokes or racing alloy rims or anything), but they look great.

And yes, I know the cast wheels are safer and perform better, but I decided it was OK to make at least one mod that was just for looks!

BlackSkull883
23rd January 2005, 18:00
400 bucks sounds very reasonable. I was thinking it would be that for each wheel!

I may have to stop in to the shop this week and order a set. Now, I'm guessing they're going to charge me at least that much per wheel to install them! :cry1

mike
23rd January 2005, 18:07
400 bucks sounds very reasonable. I was thinking it would be that for each wheel!

Yeah, I thought the same thing, since the basic laced wheels in the accessories catalog are about $350 each. I don't know if they made a mistake with the price, but if so, they made good on it.

barry1967
23rd January 2005, 18:47
I put the Dyna black cast wheels on my 1200R. I thought the black color would pffset the bike better than the silver ones.

HrdlyDangrs
23rd January 2005, 20:16
Yeah, I thought the same thing, since the basic laced wheels in the accessories catalog are about $350 each. I don't know if they made a mistake with the price, but if so, they made good on it.

I think you got the discount cause you purchased the bike at the same time.

I like both cast and wire wheels myself....tho I seem to always have spoked wheels on my rides.....that's because I like the 'ole' skool' look of the spokes.

But the spokes are a pain to keep clean.....

barry1967
23rd January 2005, 21:22
Also spokes are not as strong. My buddy him a pothole and wiped out both his spokes rims.

ETRacing
5th November 2007, 02:47
Has anyone had their cast wheels chrome plated? If so, by who and has it held up? I've got a 1200S and the cast wheels are a bit "stained". I thought about powdercoat as well. I've powdercoated wheels in the past and had success. But, I think this bike needs some more shine.

jharback
5th November 2007, 09:43
I had these guys from ebay do mine. I was really impressed with the quality of the work. I only have about 5000 miles on them but they still look new.

Chrome Pros Plating