PDA

View Full Version : Dumb As&*

mbsales
5th December 2005, 16:39
Changed handlebars over the weekend which meant of course removing the brake lever assembly. Changing to braided cables too so I drained the brake fluid. Left the manual at work...:censor
Well, looking at the Manual today at work...see that you're supposed to place a piece of cardboard between the brake lever and the mount so that you don't "damage the brake switch or it's plunger" What????
How could that ommision break the switch ?
Andy

jamman
5th December 2005, 16:42
not if you are careful, when you align them.

mbsales
5th December 2005, 16:48
Sorry Jam..aligning what ?
Andy

stevo
5th December 2005, 16:51
just pull the lever in a bit when ya put the housing back in place.....

otherwise you can break the brake light switch...

have a look at the switchblock and the lever housing and you'll see what we mean

nothing difficult....I never use the cardboard

mbsales
5th December 2005, 16:56
UH OH...Now I get it...already put it back on and I'll bet it's broken (heard a snap)
Well , back to the Stealer.
Thanks
Andy

Moker
5th December 2005, 17:04
heh

i changed my housings to chrome earlier, and had read the instructions yet failed to put the cardboard in, figured it's a frikkin piece of cardboard, what does it matter if i put it in or not.
well it mattered.
replacing that switch isn't the funnest thing.
make sure you stagger your splicing!!!!!
it'll make installing the new one alot easier! :)

xlhflh
5th December 2005, 17:04
The switch may not be broken. The sound you heard may have been the rubber boot around the switch snapping off where it may have been snaged by the lever. I removed and replaced mine several times, ignoring the cardboard spacer, before I successfully broke the switch. :shhhh
If it still works, I'd say you can leave it for now; but if the rubber boot is torn, you will probably eventually get oil and crud in the switch causing it to fail.
Good Luck
Bob

stevo
5th December 2005, 17:05
oooooppss

snap is NOT good....

does ya rear brake light still work off the front lever ?????

if it does leave it till ya need to pull it off again

jamman
5th December 2005, 17:13

have a look at the switchblock and the lever housing and you'll see what we mean

This is what I meant, sorry down with the flu.

mbsales
5th December 2005, 17:19
Thanks guys
Still in the process of lengthening the wires (ran them through the bars) and such, so I won't know until that's done and test the wiring. Hope that switch is Ok
Will NEVER again work on the bike withut the Manual infront of me....
Andy

Moker
5th December 2005, 17:19

heh, that is IF you didn't break the switch removing it :(

stevo
5th December 2005, 17:31
ahhhh... that's one of the few things I get from the technical side on these forums....

What can brake that I have never seen broken...

'cept when I was at the dealership....but I wasn't there long

mbsales
6th December 2005, 15:05
Well, so far, so good. Took it apart last night and it looked OK. Rubber seal was good and the switch seemed to work. Should finish the wiring tonite and test. Braided cables arrive tomorrow.
Andy

Bill2
6th December 2005, 16:22
ahhhh... that's one of the few things I get from the technical side on these forums....

What can brake that I have never seen broken...

'cept when I was at the dealership....but I wasn't there long
That's pretty funny with all these people if it can be broken somebody gonna do it. I almost did the same thing to my front brake switch, did'nt have a manuel yet and did'nt know. I just plain got lucky!

tcspannerwrench
7th December 2005, 01:58
This is what I meant, sorry down with the flu.
Sorry to hear ya got the flu hope it wasnt from riding in this weather weve had latly:frownthre