PDA

View Full Version : Lube for Speedo Drive Unit

IronMick
19th January 2005, 21:52
Got the speedo drive unit on the bench. Cleaned it up. Took off the spring clip and the tiny screw but the cover, while loose, will not come off.

I want to apply some lube. I can do it with the cover loose but if you know how to remove it please let me know. Also i would use wheel bearing grease for lube unless something else is recommended.

BTW, it is marked "replaces HD" with some part number so i assume it is an aftermarket unit.

Thanx.

maddog
19th January 2005, 23:05
Got the speedo drive unit on the bench. Cleaned it up. Took off the spring clip and the tiny screw but the cover, while loose, will not come off.

I want to apply some lube. I can do it with the cover loose but if you know how to remove it please let me know. Also i would use wheel bearing grease for lube unless something else is recommended.

BTW, it is marked "replaces HD" with some part number so i assume it is an aftermarket unit.

Thanx.

I would go with lithium grease..It's heat resistant and I believe thats what the MoCo uses. (Also called White Grease)

IronMick
20th January 2005, 00:51
I would go with lithium grease..It's heat resistant and I believe thats what the MoCo uses. (Also called White Grease)

Hmmmm, i was going to use the wheel bearing grease because i thought it was for hi-temp applications, and that lithium grease was not good in hi-temp applications. I do not have a reliable source for this info so i could be wrong - which means you, maddog, would be right!

VTRII
20th January 2005, 00:55
There is bearing grease, high temp bearing grease for disc brake use in the automotive world, and lithium grease. Lithium is a white grease recommended for chassis lube, which isn't a high temp application.

BobbyB
20th January 2005, 01:18
Actually, lithium grease can come in any color. It is a soap based grease. And of course it can be had with high temp additives. Most grease sold today is a lithium type. An aluminum base grease has water proof qualities while the lithium is only water resistant, being soap based it can wash out.
Bobby