PDA

View Full Version : SE Ingition boxes

LVBOATDOC
20th January 2005, 00:23
What the difference between the 883 and the 1200 SE ignition boxes they both say they do the same rpm and timing retard or do they. If you do a 1200 upgrade should a 1200 SE box be used. Also the SE catalog show a programable software and interface for 2004 carb models, has anyone tried one on a sporty yet ? sounds interesting alot like the tc88a setup

Gone
20th January 2005, 00:37
I am having a (see title) installing an SE ICM on my 04 883! I have gotten so pissed I even wrote a letter today to Harley Davidson corporate. Factory fresh ICM for my bike, followed instructions to the letter then poof... bike won't start. There is a small "note" on the bottom of the one page instruction sheet that says "After replacement of the ICM, a mating procedure to the TSM/TSSM is utilized, employing Password Learning. Refer to the HD Factory Security System Section of your Owner's Manual for your appropriate model motorcycle."

Well the manual says jack sh*t about it. Theres lots of stuff about a factory installed security system with key fob and siren, but jack about the ICM. So I call the local H-D shop... They tel me I have 2 options:

1) Purchase a Shop Manual for my 2004 for $58 + tax and follow the instructions for Password Learning to install the module. or,

2) Pay them 1 hour of labor to have them do it at $68 per hour (oh plus tax).

I offered them $2 to let me photocopy the freakin page and really wanted to tell them to shove the module where the sun don't shine. This is my first bike in over 20 years and I wanted it to be a Harley. Now I am having second thoughts... :censor

Gone
22nd January 2005, 15:39
I take it all back (nah, not really...) I found the solution to ignition module problem (at least for me) and posted it in the tech talk section. Happy biker once agai....

:tour :tour :tour :tour

LVBOATDOC
23rd January 2005, 15:48
Went to the dealer and asked them, said was the same box just calibrated for the speedo to make up for the gearing. Sounds good to me. Then I asked him for one and he said he would have to order it. Said he doesn't stock much Sporty stuff. Now this is suppose to be the biggest dealer in the world ???

xllent01
23rd January 2005, 16:39
What the difference between the 883 and the 1200 SE ignition boxes they both say they do the same rpm and timing retard or do they. If you do a 1200 upgrade should a 1200 SE box be used. Also the SE catalog show a programable software and interface for 2004 carb models, has anyone tried one on a sporty yet ? sounds interesting alot like the tc88a setup
On a stock production bike all the new SE box does is raise the
rev limit higher over the stock box. Unless you are planning on
doing some kind of upgrades or conversion the SE is pretty
much a waste of time and money. Once a sporty has reached
5000-6000 rpms it has used up all of it's horsepower, and the higher
revving SE is is pretty much useless beyond that point :yikes