PDA

View Full Version : my sissy bar ornament

engine
17th November 2004, 02:43
I recently made a sissy bar ornament form 18 gage stainless steel, measures about 4.5"W x7.5"H, 1" thick. Check out some pics. I just have to make the sissy bar itself. I'm playing with a few different designs, but I have a basic pattern on how I'm going to mount it to the fender.

Moved On
17th November 2004, 03:05
WOW thats real nice !!!

Gary

Broncodog
17th November 2004, 03:22
Curious to see what ya come up with for the sissy bar, post pics when ya do

txsporty
17th November 2004, 03:59
NICE!! Love to see the end results!!!

vetteguy
17th November 2004, 21:39
Nice job! Cant wait to see the whole thing. Guy

slolane
17th November 2004, 22:38
:yikes

That's awesome!!!

ESCOBAR
17th November 2004, 22:41
looks tight man, as we speak i am getting one made for me by local custom shop it will be 36 inches long with a four inch rollback at the 32 inch point and going to a sharp as hell point at the end, also it will be powder coated black at the bottom fading into a red that matches my bike towards the top should look sweet when i get it back i will post pics when i get it on the bike within' the next 2 weeks

engine
17th November 2004, 23:52
that's cool. The idea that I'm most leaning towards it a 3-pointer, with the middle point beight the tallest. Gonna try and make it sharp as hell, too. I'm probably going to have it powdercoated black, and this ornament, I might just leave it the way it is, or I might polish it a bit more...

thanks for the complements!

Nevar
22nd November 2004, 23:16
Excelent work-man-ship

Darhawk
22nd November 2004, 23:33
Real nice. How high do you plan on the sissy bar to be........how much weight do you think it will add?

rottenralph
22nd November 2004, 23:42
I would not mind having its baby brother to make a taillight out of. That would be a really nice shape for my bike. Nice work.

engine
23rd November 2004, 01:25
Real nice. How high do you plan on the sissy bar to be........how much weight do you think it will add?
It'll probably be about 24" over the seat. PLan on making it out of either 3/8" or 1/2" round-stock. The design will probably be a 3-pointer, with the oputer points lower than the center point. The center will obviously be the highest one at about the 24" mark. It'll be similar to this one, but not exactly. I want the outer points higher than these:
http://image14.webshots.com/14/9/30/94/173293094PECFbb_ph.jpg

Darhawk
23rd November 2004, 16:39
That is going to look fantastic! Light, functional, with plenty of style. Ever thought of doing this as a side business?

engine
23rd November 2004, 23:03
That is going to look fantastic! Light, functional, with plenty of style. Ever thought of doing this as a side business?
funny you mentioned it, because I have thought about it. I actually thought of a company logo not too long ago. But, I'm a bit apprehensive about it because I feel that my work really isn't top notch. I mean, I just started playing around with this stuff just about 1 year ago when I went ahead and bought a MIG welder. Never did anything like this before. I'm probably doing most of it wrong, and I know my welding needs a lot of practice to be good. I really don't think anyone would buy my crap and I'd go bankrupt in a week...I make this stuff kind of "rough around the edges" because I like it that way. I hate all that shiny billet-everything crap. I'm slowly going away from everything chrome as well.

See my web page thing for some other creations of mine..."the flail project"
http://community.webshots.com/user/strokermotor

ufaf
25th November 2004, 12:14
Very creative. Way to go.

engine
30th November 2004, 23:27
I just picked up the sound bar I'm going to use for the sissy bar. Going to use 1/2" dia. Should be relatively easy to bend, and not that heavy. I figured out a way to mountit to the original fender struts using spacers I'm going to make out of 5/8" round bar. Only thing I have to hack up the original countersunk fender strut bolts. I got all the measurements and lengths figured out, just have to do the work...