PDA

View Full Version : stainless steel brake lines

taterhead
9th December 2005, 22:04
Has anyone installed the HD stainless steel brake lines (front and/or rear) on your Sporty? If so, did you notice any difference in the braking "feel" or did the stainless lines just look good?

Turbota
9th December 2005, 22:15
Just look good ...

promiscuousman
10th December 2005, 00:18
I installed some braided line that I ordered from jirehcycles and I noticed a different feel in the handle. I can't say whether or not it stopped differently, but the handle definately felt stiffer.

ZenBiker
10th December 2005, 00:24
I didn't notice any difference but I needed the SS line to put short risers on. Of course, the 4.5" risers hit the tank and now I need to get 5.5" ones instead, but that's a different story.

xena
10th December 2005, 00:40
Went with a ss braided line up front and I didn't notice a difference but that doesn't mean there wasn't a difference. With performance cars and motorcycles ss braided brake lines have been said to provide better pressure hence better braking but I don't know if there's any truth to that or not.

Oh, and I installed 4" pullback risers on my 04XL883 with the stock bars and mine doesn't hit the tank. Close but no hitty.

ZenBiker
10th December 2005, 01:48
Lucky you Xena. I have an '05 XL883, should have been the same as yours, but they definitely hit the tank even when the forks/handlebars aren't turned.

Trout
10th December 2005, 21:26
Stainless brake lines definately make a difference in brake performance. I have them front and rear and definately noticed an improvement. You have to make sure you get them bled properly to get all of the gains. The brake lever is firmer, doesn't travel as far, and requires less effort.

From Bike Works magazine, Nov 2005, page 62: 10 Motorcycle Braking Tips #1 "Braided stainless steel lines are superior to rubber...The single most discernable upgrade you can make to your braking system is to swap in braided stainless steel brake lines."

From Harley-Davidson Sportster Performance Handbook, page 147: "The stock Sportster brakes can be dramatically improved with two simple add-on components: Teflon-lined stainless steel hoses and pads specifically designed for high performance applications."

Turbota
10th December 2005, 21:38
I have stainless brake lines on my bike. They may make for a better braking system on a bike with a single caliper on the front ... but my bike came stock with dual front brakes. I didn't notice any difference when changing to the stainless braided lines.

oh well ...

lyonoso
10th December 2005, 21:53
put steel brake line on front single disc and braking was improved lets face it any improvement is a help, but fitting sintered brake pads front and rear really improved stopping power.

cantolina
10th December 2005, 22:07
I found a nominal improvement when I did it...

IronMick
11th December 2005, 00:03
I think that the more you push your bike to it's limits the more you will notice the improved performance. When i put them on my Evo i did not notice any difference at all; but then, other than riding too fast, i do not push the limits of my bikes.

Dakin Engineering
11th December 2005, 00:25
I got full SS lines, both front and rear off the front master. 125 to 35 mph in 100 yards or so at the dragstrip. No lockup, just a bit bit of squeal from the front tire. OK, so the edge of the rotor turned gold, so what. Stock master and calipers.

works for me,
Sam

doug883
11th December 2005, 02:45
Replaced the front with one from Sorgys when I added the 4-1/2" pullback risers, never noticed any braking difference.