PDA

View Full Version : L.E.D. Tun Signals.

LuxBlue
20th January 2005, 16:39
Has anyone bought the Kuryakyn LED turn signals or taillight retrofits? I have an '04 1200 Custom. I'm thinking of upgrading and wanted to know how well they worked and if you were satisfied. What I have in mind is front/back turn signals and smoked rear tail lamp. Check out the link. Thanks.

http://kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3018

gearhead
20th January 2005, 16:43
If i'm not mistaken you will need to get some kind of load balancer for the turn signlas. The auto canceling unit on the turn signals expects the blinkers to eat a certain amount of juice. The LED's dont use that much electricity, so it acts goofy.

I'm sure someone here could be more specific, but if you look in the electrical seciton of the JP catelog they have those balancer units.

The tail light is ok to replace I believe.

willprevale
20th January 2005, 16:44
If i'm not mistaken you will need to get some kind of load balancer for the turn signlas. The auto canceling unit on the turn signals expects the blinkers to eat a certain amount of juice. The LED's dont use that much electricity, so it acts goofy.

I'm sure someone here could be more specific, but if you look in the electrical seciton of the JP catelog they have those balancer units.

The tail light is ok to replace I believe.

Doesn't need to be any more specific. It is what it is!

gearhead
20th January 2005, 16:44
ah, nm, the Kuryakan site says they include the load equalizer.

seajay
20th January 2005, 17:16
I have the low profile L.E.D. taillight(red) #4970. It's bright and just plugs in. About $85.

LuxBlue
20th January 2005, 18:08
Yeah, as Gearhead said, the kit includes the load equalizer if needed. I downloaded the instructions. It hooks to the violet and brown wires which are the switched positve and to the black which is negative. You're right, in order for the flashing circuit to work properly it needs to see enough current. If you would just replace front or back the other bulb loads may be enough of a load. If you replace both front/back I think you'd definitely need to add the load equalizer. As far as those that have done this, do you like, are they nice looking, brighter, etc.? I personally think they'd look great and will never have to worry about burning out bulbs.