PDA

View Full Version : How powerful can you make an 883?

Mattbastard
10th December 2005, 17:22
I really like my 883, but more power is never frowned upon. The thing is, I'm curious if I can get a satisfying increase in power while keeping the 883 (or maybe just .030 over). I'm no engine builder, but the things I can think of off hand are: high comp slugs, stage 1 head work, exhaust/jetting/air cleaner, aftermarket ignition, just regular ol' stage 1 or 2 stuff. I want to stay naturally aspirated and NOT take it out to 1200. Is 70 street horse possible?

Y2K
10th December 2005, 17:34
Thre's no substitute for cubic inches! ;)
If you are going to chage the pistons anyway do it right and go 1200,it costs the same.
Power and reliabilty hand in hand is what you want so why risk reliabilty by passing up the easiest and most reliable path to more power?
Just my 2cts.............Y2K:smoke

AZbiker
10th December 2005, 20:14
Matt,

I think I saw some .030 rings for an 883 in the classified section. IIRC, the seller atated that they were discontinued. The reason being, it costs just as much to bore the 883 jugs out .030 as to bore them out to 1200.

I've never seen high-compression 883 pistons. Maybe some of the 883 dirt track racers know about them. If they are available, I bet they are expensive because they are not made in any quantity, just to satisfy racers in a DISPLACEMENT LIMITED racing class.

At any rate, I've heard that the 883 racers are rather tight-lipped about their engine set-ups.

A high compression 883 setup tuned to a razor's edge would probably make 70hp. And you could pat yourself on the back because you spent more money to get to 70hp than any other H-D rider in the place, if that is your thing.

If you want to go with big cams, you're STILL going to have to tear the top end apart. And on such an undersquare motor, I would be willing to bet the best cam grind will be a custom one. Still more money.

$3,000 to hang neck-and-neck with with someone who just put a set of dished pistons on for $500? Hmmm...

Definitely keep us posted if you decide to build this motor. Maybe Bert will even change your nic to "Don Quixote" if you ask him real nice...:D

TiBaal89
10th December 2005, 20:16
probly about 750 hp...

engine
10th December 2005, 21:23
other than any kind of sanctioned displacement limited racing as mentioned above, making a high performance 883 is sort of a waste of money, so to speak...

edman
10th December 2005, 21:23
There was a guy a few years ago that created the Yahoo group 883sportsters. He pretty much did all he could to make his 883 run as best as possible. In the end he did a 1200 conversion and changed the name of the group.

Jason's Sporty
10th December 2005, 21:57
The reason why the 883 racer's don't talk about thier setups is cause they are 1200's making like 200hp!!! seriously you can set up a 883 like a buell and it can make 90 or so. oh yeah by the way my bike is gonna become a 1200 at the end of next season (gonna do the lower end bearings, balance Etc
. ahhh one more year of a 883 then watch out!!!!

Turbota
10th December 2005, 22:05
You need to look at this whole thing as best bang for the buck. It will cost you [much] more money to get the same HP out of your 883 vs just doing a simple 1200 conversion. In fact, I don't think you will even match the HP levels without just doing just the basic conversion.

I would just take your spending cash and do it right the first time. These kits are not expensive ... and you should be able to do the work yourself. Many many people on this board have done there own conversions ... It ain't brain surgery!

If you really don't want to get into the motor ... just leave it stock.

rottenralph
10th December 2005, 22:37
There are 1200 kits out there for around 400 to 800 dollars. everything you listed costs well over 1 grand and your h.p. will be no more. do a hi comp 1200 and that will put a smile on your face.

Mattbastard
10th December 2005, 22:40
Thanks for the input.

For the most part, I was just curious. I know by far the best bang for the buck is the 1200 conv, and in due time, I'll send the stuff off to NRHS for the treatment. For now tho, I'll just have to stick to minor mods as cost is quite an issue.

Moved On / My Own Choice
10th December 2005, 23:10
I'm on this "less is more" kick... with my bikes, my boat, my Jeep... heck even my house. I'm digging less expensive things which are less expensive to keep up etc etc etc...

so all that said, I totally get the thought BEHIND wanting to make max hp out of an 883 and not go the 1200 route... it's just kinda a pride thing I think... to still be able to say it's an 883...

This is kinda interesting if you think about it

you can set up a 883 like a buell and it can make 90 or so.

Seriously, I think it would be fun to pick up a motor from a wrecked Buell and swap it into something like an 883R solidmount... that could be fun... not cost effective, but fun...

Kev

willprevale
10th December 2005, 23:43
Any money you put into that 883 before you go the 1200 route... is wasted.

Desertfox
10th December 2005, 23:52
Thre's no substitute for cubic inches! ;)
If you are going to chage the pistons anyway do it right and go 1200,it costs the same.
Power and reliabilty hand in hand is what you want so why risk reliabilty by passing up the easiest and most reliable path to more power?
Just my 2cts.............Y2K:smoke

Totally agree, if you're going to pop the heads off there is realy no reason not to go to 1200. Get the oversized valves too while you're at it.

XLinAL
13th December 2005, 03:52
If the bike is still stock, your first mods for power should be paying the taxes (a/c, pipes, & jetting). This will make it feel like a new bike and will also work with what other future mods you decide on. The next best bang for the buck is the 1200 or 1250 conversion.

greanmeany1
14th December 2005, 00:08
lets see nitrus and 13 to 1 pistons maybe 120 for about 10 seconds.
just another un imployed clown

xlhflh
14th December 2005, 01:17
You may find this site interesting.
http://www.nightrider.com
Bob

xlhflh
14th December 2005, 21:09
Another interesting site:
http://www.heavydutycycles.com
Enjoy
Bob