PDA

View Full Version : Replacing brake pads

SDJose
11th December 2005, 07:29
I have the service manual on my 2001. Do you have to split the caliper to remove the old pads and to reinstall the new pads? The factory manual goes into detail about overhauling the calipers but is pretty vague about replacing the pads.

SDJose
11th December 2005, 20:31
Just had to mess with it.:laugh

IronMick
12th December 2005, 02:35
I have the service manual on my 2001. Do you have to split the caliper to remove the old pads and to reinstall the new pads? The factory manual goes into detail about overhauling the calipers but is pretty vague about replacing the pads.

You do not need the info in the overhauling section. There are only a few parts to come apart. Keep track of them. Have a can of spray brake cleaner, an old toothbrush, and a tub to clean the parts in. They are dirty. I clean the calipers while they are hanging on the bike.

When re-installing:
1. put big towel over painted surfaces
2. remove master cylinder lid
3. use a c-clamp to squish pistons back into calipers. watch the m-cyl as it may overflow while you are doing this.

These 3 steps are very important. If you do not squish them back in you will not be able to get the calipers back over the rotors.

xllent01
12th December 2005, 03:02
It's too bad that the POS calipers have to come apart to
change a simple thing as the brake pads. Dumbest design
in the MOCO history, and what a freakin mess the fluid makes.
Oh good luck bleeding them back out with that crappy dot 5
with all the air bubbles in it.:doh :roflblack :laugh :frownone :banana

IronMick
12th December 2005, 04:26
It's too bad that the POS calipers have to come apart to
change a simple thing as the brake pads. Dumbest design
in the MOCO history, and what a freakin mess the fluid makes.
Oh good luck bleeding them back out with that crappy dot 5
with all the air bubbles in it.:doh :roflblack :laugh :frownone :banana

What are you talking about here? Are the 2001s different from others? No need to lose or bleed or mess with brake fluid on any that i have done. Just remove the calipers, dismantle somewhat, clean 'em up, install new pads, do my previous steps 1, 2, 3. Have i missed something?

a45junkie
12th December 2005, 06:27
the new bikes you have to move the rear wheel to clear the disk, slide out the caliper and pull the pad pins wedges would probably push the pistons back best since they are four piston setup, i like my old setup better for the rears

SDJose
12th December 2005, 07:17
I was talking about the front brake caliper and pads. Sorry.