PDA

View Full Version : what to see?

caveplay
25th March 2008, 22:06
I'm going to be riding to maine in july 4th-13th:banana:banadanc

What is a must see in Maine in july ?????

coming from PA.....:sporty:

also looking for Maine cavers~~~~~

nkyratdog
25th March 2008, 22:39
How about Northern Maine? I think the snow will be gone by then.......

Mr Jimi
25th March 2008, 22:51
Hmm, I know your gonna see lot's of traffic that week :doh
What kind of caves? above ground or underwater caves?
lots of great diving in Maine, just put your gear on and walk in and enjoy cold water and lots of sea life
give us more details and I will help you heaps
I was born and raised there
Jim
:tour

caveplay
25th March 2008, 23:24
looks like me and 3 others

we are just looking for cool thing to see or do in Maine .
we are going to try to stay to back roads ..

I have this thing for taking my pic with ( 15ft tall cowboys- maybe a 20ft tall pig- fish -crab)

things to stay away from ????

also what kind of temps do you have at night in july???

roadking79
25th March 2008, 23:30
Your looking for the largest ball of twine, and things like that?

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/MEBANbunyan.html

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/images/me/MEBANbunyan2.jpg

roadking79
25th March 2008, 23:34
Stephen King's House - Bangor, ME
20 Ft. Lobster - Hancock, ME
Lenny the Chocolate Moose - Scarborough, ME

Wheezy
25th March 2008, 23:58
There is the HUGE Indian statue or whatever you want to call it off I-95 heading South towards Portland, I forget the town though. Also, I think the Acadia National Park area would be AWESOME to ride. Really anything on the coast should be good. Have fun and post lots of pictures when you get back.

caveplay
26th March 2008, 00:06
looks like it will be fun can't wait

roadking thats what i'm looking for thanks

roadking79
26th March 2008, 00:10
No problem... I like that stuff too. Check out "Weird New England" for local legends and ghosts. It's a good way too plan a road trip, you can get it at any Barnes and Nobles. Also "Where are they buried", has cemetaries where famous people are buried.

caveplay
26th March 2008, 00:16
thanks alot for the info

XLFREAK
26th March 2008, 01:14
I like the Moosehead Lake area. Middle of nowhere there's the largest lake east of the Mississippi.

http://www.mooseheadlake.org

You could ride up rt 201 to Jackman to rt 15 to Rockwood and Greenville which are two towns on the lake. In Greenville you can take a ride on the steamboat Katahdin (built in 1914) http://www.katahdincruises.com

Then follow rt 15 back down to the highway rt 95 just south of Bangor. You can then go to Bangor and then hit rt 1 and do the coast.

Mohntonite
23rd June 2008, 01:42
I'm going to be riding to maine in july 4th-13th:banana:banadanc

What is a must see in Maine in july ?????

coming from PA.....:sporty:

~~~~~

Wow get outta my head.... Im planning the same trip but not sure of the dates yet . Around that time though. I was going to ask the same questions. Not much of a spelunker though any more.
I was under the impression that the EASTERN MOST PART OF THE UNITED STATES is in Maine.

Im also looking for places to stay by camping.

Leaving from PA and traveling with 1 or 2 others.

jharback
23rd June 2008, 07:46
I like the Moosehead Lake area. Middle of nowhere there's the largest lake east of the Mississippi.

I think that's Lake Superior. :doh

Rebil79
23rd June 2008, 16:50
I think that's Lake Superior. :doh

I think what he mean is that its the largest lake that dosent not border any other state or canada.

Rebil

brprider
23rd June 2008, 23:12
If you can stand the traffic, take U.S. Rt 1 and check out the Boothbay Harbor area, (Southport Island and Ocean Point are nice rides) also be sure to go to Camden and ride up to the top of Mt. Battie. You can camp at the base in the state park.
Don't eat too much lobster and as they say in Maine, "You can't get there from here" (Opps, wrong saying) "Have a wicked good time"
P.S. the Rangley lake area is awesome. Fantastic lake with great camping and canoeing.