PDA

View Full Version : Where is the case drain plug

rottenralph
4th April 2008, 02:15
I need to drain the oil from the cases and I can't get my head under the bike enough to see where the case plug is. Please be specific about the location cause I can't find the fricken drain.

Mr Jimi
4th April 2008, 02:28
Is this the plug your looking for here (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showpost.php?p=1188047&postcount=10)

:tour

rottenralph
4th April 2008, 02:37
No, that is the primary drain plug. I need the case drain, I know it has one but it is not easy to find. The garage is a little cramped right now and I am not digging on laying in the mess my bike has created.

rottenralph
4th April 2008, 03:00
Someone must know.

Mr Jimi
4th April 2008, 03:07
If you have a mirror in your garage that will do the trick or just pass your hand under there, I think if there was one, the guy in the oil thread would have drained it? And you should be able to see from the right side if your bike is on stand
:tour

Joe Dirt
4th April 2008, 03:13
On my '03 there is a little allen head plug directly in front of the rear frame cross brace (where the sidestand is located), to the right side.

rottenralph
4th April 2008, 03:16
I saw a little 3/8's hole in the bottom but I could not see the allen. I think I know where it is. Thanks dirt. I will stick an allen in there and see if it is there.

fixerdj
21st April 2008, 17:18
Why would you need to drain the case? It's a dry sump engine. If you run it a short time the oil should return to the oil tank. On my '92 the tank drain is a rubber hose clamped the a frame stub under the battery.

Narley
21st April 2008, 17:52
I drained the oil prior to engine dissassembly, but as parts came of it was obvous there was still a couple cups of oil in the motor.

Urrell
21st April 2008, 17:55
The oil tank drain is in the pic supplied by Mr Jimi.

It's the rubber hose and you can see in the picture its draining.

NRHS Sales
21st April 2008, 18:08
A lot of bikes do not have any drain for the cases. A few have a very smal allen plug but most do not even have that.