PDA

View Full Version : Open element air filters and rain

Mattbastard
26th December 2005, 03:18
We've all seen em, those air filter kits where the filter is exposed to all the elements the bike is. What happens if you get caught in a freek rain storm?

The reason I ask is I'm in the market for a better filter kit and as of now it looks like the teardrop kit S&S sells will be it, but I've seen the others and always wonder about rain.

avnsteve
26th December 2005, 03:43
the water will limit airflow at the filter area that has gotten wet, but the filter will flow air from other (dry) areas of the element and not draw water. You would have to submerge the cleaner to really ingest any appreciable amount of water. short version "no problem"

xllent01
26th December 2005, 03:53
Exposed elements are fine in short frequent rain storms, just have to re-oil them if they are the K&N ones
soon after to help water proof and filter the dirty air out. Been caught many times in rainy conditions and
not one single problem what so ever with a exposed element. Besides the little bit of water that does get
inside will help burn off that extra carbon buildup inside your motor.:shhhh

Desertfox
26th December 2005, 04:58
We've all seen em, those air filter kits where the filter is exposed to all the elements the bike is. What happens if you get caught in a freek rain storm?

The reason I ask is I'm in the market for a better filter kit and as of now it looks like the teardrop kit S&S sells will be it, but I've seen the others and always wonder about rain.

On my old K750 Honda I had velocity stacks on all four carbs. Ran like a banshee even in a dirving East Texas turd floater between Houston and Port Arthur. Rained steadily for two straight hours at 60 mph, not even a hickup.

IronMick
26th December 2005, 05:05
I am one of those carzy guys who will ride in the rain if i have to. The weather does not determine ride or no ride, it determines how to dress.

My previous bike had a Kuryakyn Hypercharger. Never a problem in the rain.

The filter element is not paper. It is not dammaged by water. The oil is not washed away by the rain water [may be different on the ones that are fully exposed tho].

f77
26th December 2005, 19:54
during my last ride
i was caught in a heavy rain storm......
well, the my air cover filter (stock)didn't work.......
and the water enter in the filter element (se) i've a lot of choking problem
for a plenty kilometers...

thatbikerguy
26th December 2005, 20:05
I am one of those carzy guys who will ride in the rain if i have to. The weather does not determine ride or no ride, it determines how to dress.
Ahh! Another biker like me.:banana