PDA

View Full Version : Learn ćo Wheel´e

Jesse_Bolt
26th December 2005, 07:32
Learn to wheelie at Wheelie World.

learntowheelie.com (http://www.learntowheelie.com)

JB

Lightning
26th December 2005, 07:43
Have yet to try one on my Sportster.
I can get on a dirt bike and ride for miles on a wheelie.
Secret: Keep feet on the pegs, Shift gears gently, And if you get too far back a nudge on the rear brake will sit you right back up. And practice, practice, practice.

Jesse_Bolt
26th December 2005, 07:49
Have yet to try one on my Sportster.
I can get on a dirt bike and ride for miles on a wheelie.
Secret: Keep feet on the pegs, Shift gears gently, And if you get too far back a nudge on the rear brake will sit you right back up. And practice, practice, practice.

If your Sporty is rubber mounted, wheelies aren't as easy as they are on rigid mounted Sporties.

My 2ó
JB

AZFlyingDiver
26th December 2005, 09:18
If your Sporty is rubber mounted, wheelies aren't as easy as they are on rigid mounted Sporties.

My 2ó
JB

Yep - COMPLETELY agree... I used to wheelie my Suzuki (mx'er) forever but for some reason can't keep my rubber Sporty up for more than just a pop off the pavement... Any secrets out there, share!!!

Jesse_Bolt
26th December 2005, 09:38
Yep - COMPLETELY agree... I used to wheelie my Suzuki (mx'er) forever but for some reason can't keep my rubber Sporty up for more than just a pop off the pavement... Any secrets out there, share!!!

It's no secret, the answer is reducing your gear ratio. Also adding horsepower helps.

JB

Scooter_Trash
10th January 2006, 01:16
Never even tried it on my sportster

DM-SC
10th January 2006, 03:10
I will NOT be trying one on my Heritage! :frownthre

Roger Greendeck
10th January 2006, 03:44
chicken!!!

DM-SC
10th January 2006, 03:48
chicken!!!

Sticks and stones (and wheelies!) may break my bones...but words wil never hurt me! :laugh

avnsteve
10th January 2006, 03:53
It comes new with 2 wheels

jwbradbury
10th January 2006, 03:54
After years of wheelies, I'm now the old fart who sits by the side of the track (or rural road) and watches the younger riders practice with their bikes. Many stop by for a quick visit before they leave because they know I carry a good supply of gauze and bandaids.... :tour

tcspannerwrench
10th January 2006, 04:00
After years of wheelies, I'm now the old fart who sits by the side of the track (or rural road) and watches the younger riders practice with their bikes. Many stop by for a quick visit before they leave because they know I carry a good supply of gauze and bandaids.... :tour
that sounds cooler than doing the tricks yourself

xllent01
10th January 2006, 04:36
It's no secret, the answer is reducing your gear ratio. Also adding horsepower helps.

JB
It's no secret that it comes down to clutch and throttle control

Wheelied every bike ive owned, thats a fact jack.:clap

DM-SC
10th January 2006, 13:47
It comes new with 2 wheels

And...just like a chair has 4 legs...ALL of them should be in contact with mother earth! :laugh

SoCal-Cruisin
12th January 2006, 22:44
I pulled one on my sporty accidently. I was brutally cut off by some geezer in a big Lincoln so I pulled up alongside and rev it a couple of times while giving them a menacing look. I figured I'd dump the clutch with a few revs behind it to take off quickly but when I did I pulled the front tire off the ground about a foot and did a sweet wheelie! I bet it looked bad-ass from the nearby cars but in the meantime I was nearly crapping in my pants! :-) I haven't tried to do one, though because I'm pretty gentle with the Sporty. If I could do it on throttle alone I'd be more inclined to do wheelies. I'm not big into revving it and dumping the clutch.

Edster
13th January 2006, 02:44
I'm a bit scared although I did one by accident on Meishin (Superstition).
I wasnt to scared on my first XL though (XL250R Honda dual sport) as it was on most of the time and broken parts aren't as exspensive. I MIGHT try a 1st to 2nd shift wheelie as it SEEMS it would be easier to control.

leo
13th January 2006, 04:09
Whellies are so much easier on sportbikes.
I've tried it a few times on the sporty, but only got it a few feet up.
a little hard to get it to balance point.
anyone have any tips??? i guess i just need lots of practice, just don't want to stretch the belt.

CustomBlue
13th January 2006, 06:33
I pulled one on my sporty accidently. I was brutally cut off by some geezer in a big Lincoln so I pulled up alongside and rev it a couple of times while giving them a menacing look. I figured I'd dump the clutch with a few revs behind it to take off quickly but when I did I pulled the front tire off the ground about a foot and did a sweet wheelie! I bet it looked bad-ass from the nearby cars but in the meantime I was nearly crapping in my pants! :-) I haven't tried to do one, though because I'm pretty gentle with the Sporty. If I could do it on throttle alone I'd be more inclined to do wheelies. I'm not big into revving it and dumping the clutch.
DITTO! sept some young honey pulls next to me at the light,merge ahead just across light,I ask her if she really thinks she's hittin that merge before I do,dump the clutch and leave 4 streaks ,1 rear wheel-2 boot heals-and the skid in my wear!Didn't know Sporties can go direct vertical! she laughed for 3 seconds till I brought er down and blew her Cutlass away.

On a lighter note,I love the 3 gear wheel hops it will do when power shifting

csaintg
31st January 2006, 04:50
Similar story, We were flirting with a couple Korean girls in their little white Hyundai, and showing off a little. We'd get up to 100 or 120 mph, and then slow down and wait for them. They caught up to us at one stoplight, and when I hit second, I pulled the front wheel up just as easy as you please. The weather has been to crappy since to ride like that, so now I have to find new ways to show-off. Like my hot dance moves! :banadanc

Shu
31st January 2006, 05:13
Been pulling wheelies with mine since it was an 883:) The 883 needed a little revs and some clutch control, but it would come up and carry fairly decent toward 2nd gear. The 1200 conversion will wheelie at will with no clutch needed. Just roll along at slow pace, snap the throttle and up she comes. She'll snag another small wheelie grabbing second gear too:)

Sportsters are fairly heavy on the front end. I think I read once that a standard sporty has 52 percent rear weight and 48 percent front. Never put mine on the scales to find out for sure though:) So wheelies can be slightly more difficult. Just takes some practice. BTW, I have never taken mine up like the video guy:) Most of the time just a foot or two tops.

Snuffy
2nd February 2006, 00:07
If I'd have wanted to ride on one wheel I'd have bought a unicycle, but they don't have an engine

xl1200r
2nd February 2006, 00:17
I won't do a wheelie until my bike can do it with power only. Please tell me what it is you guys do to get it up just from grabbing 2nd hard, or putting the power on quick in 1st. I've tried this stuff and it won't come up. I'm also a pussy, so maybe that's a problem.

I do know that I get a kick out of my buddies buell xb12...he'll grab 2nd a little hard and up she comes.

Mr Jimi
2nd February 2006, 00:42
I just can't wait to go out with my 10K +++ Sporty and try this?
I get third gear wheelies as it is and its stock with stage one mods
I am almost happy now
Jim:tour

Shu
2nd February 2006, 02:06
I won't do a wheelie until my bike can do it with power only. Please tell me what it is you guys do to get it up just from grabbing 2nd hard, or putting the power on quick in 1st. I've tried this stuff and it won't come up. I'm also a pussy, so maybe that's a problem.

I do know that I get a kick out of my buddies buell xb12...he'll grab 2nd a little hard and up she comes.
To snap the front tire up rolling in first gear, just get the rpms in the right powerband for your engine and snap the throttle. Mine comes right up. It came up easier before I lowered the front, but she'll still rise for the occation:)

Second gear wheelies under wide open throttle shifts are a given for mine. And third gear hops too.

I think all 1200 Sportsters are capable of it as long as they are tuned good and you haven't install a power killing set of pipes:(

I have only used the clutch once to pop a wheelie and that was when it was an 883.

The first night the 1200 came to life, she ripped a good one (by accident) on a first gear roll on and about threw me off the back. I knew right then and there that I never needed to use the clutch for a wheelie again.

I am hoping that with the nitrous it'll wheelie pretty good after I snag third gear and hit the button:clap .

Go out on some back road and practice finding your bikes power curve in first gear. And then practice shifting the bike a quickly as possible. Don't dump the clutch, just get the timing down. On occation, I have power shifted mine. Never touch the clutch, just put up pressure on the shift lever, and when you want it to shift, just let up a little momentarily on the throttle. It'll snag the next gear and either break the back tire loose or pull the front wheel up:)