PDA

View Full Version : Another grey hair bought a (baby) Harley

CB160
6th April 2008, 10:01
Hi All,
Done bought me a Sportster....seems my ZX10 doesn't like stop and stop somemore traffic down here (long story but didn't buy it in Cali)
So, I got me a little cruiser for the daily commute....way different but a bunch of fun so far.....anyone want to share the do's and don'ts of
exhaust pipe replacement for new Cali XL883's ? She's way too quiet and
I don't want to get run over cuz someone didn't look/hear.....
Enjoying what I've seen so far here, hope to be around for a while....
Thanks for havin' me,
GT

Folkie
6th April 2008, 10:30
Welcome to the Forum from the UK!

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/forum/images/smilies/zh_smilies/welcome.gif :xlrocks http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.com/forum/images/smilies/zh_smilies/welcome.gif

However quiet or loud your bike is, you've got to assume that other road users won't look and won't see you!

AussieGazza
6th April 2008, 10:38
Welcome from Oz.

You must take control of your own security by safe riding.

CB160
6th April 2008, 10:39
Thanks, Folkie,
Have gone from straight scrambler pipes on the old CB160, TT Pipes on the Triumph 500, a Kerker 4/1 header on the old 550 Honda and A&R Race Baffles in the ZX10...don't want to be annoying but acknowledged before
the big bump....ride like you're invisible- always! But besides, it's little but it's a Harley and should sound like one..not a Beemer!!
Looking forward to more good info here, thanks !!!

shame
6th April 2008, 11:07
Hi All,
Done bought me a Sportster....seems my ZX10 doesn't like stop and stop somemore traffic down here (long story but didn't buy it in Cali)
So, I got me a little cruiser for the daily commute....way different but a bunch of fun so far.....anyone want to share the do's and don'ts of
exhaust pipe replacement for new Cali XL883's ? She's way too quiet and
I don't want to get run over cuz someone didn't look/hear.....
Enjoying what I've seen so far here, hope to be around for a while....
Thanks for havin' me,
GT

Most have been happy with the 50 state legal Screamin Eagle slip-ons. Not too loud but makes it sound more like a Harley and adds performance without remapping. I have them and would reccommend them.

And... Welcome to the forum....

gomorley
6th April 2008, 11:17
Welcome to the forum from England, enjoy the ride :o)

CB160
6th April 2008, 11:18
Thanks, Shame, I'll check into them!
Any opinion on the V&H Shortshot Staggereds? Gotta call and see if they'll work with my center controls...
Love the bike and the forum...looking forward to learning more about it...

shame
6th April 2008, 11:38
Any opinion on the V&H Shortshot Staggereds? Gotta call and see if they'll work with my center controls...

Prett much any pipe will work. The 50 state screamin eagles are legal in cali where not all pipes are...

CB160
6th April 2008, 11:45
Geez, ain't nothin' legal in this state anymore....
I know it's a disgusting habit, but ya
can't even smoke on the beach anymore!! WTH!
Let me drag out my catalog and check out the Screaming Eagle slipons...could be an expensive weekend!ha! Thanks!

misterT
6th April 2008, 11:51
I really like my supertrapp 2-1 supermeg. They are proven performers on the dyno beat out all other pipes. They are loud enough for a good sound but not obnoxious. I am not sure if they are legal in Cali maybe if you pack the muffler with pot. You could check the supertrapp site for that.

CB160
6th April 2008, 11:59
Lol! I wonder how I could keep the K9 corp from following me around? Besides, it would have to be repacked every other block!!
The last thing I'm looking for is performance...mileage maybe...I've got a 160hp Sportbike in the garage for breaking speed limits...the Sporty is for Commuting/relaxin' and enjoying the ride....just want to be heard before I get lanechanged into the K-bar...(apparently they let blind people drive around here..) and if anything, I'm looking for the low end grunt, not worried about the top end
which I believe is the 2/1 territory?
But thanks for the suggestion..any and all comments/suggestions are most welcome, I don't know a darned thing about Sportsters other than they look great and they're fun to ride!

Hot Rod Sporty
6th April 2008, 12:04
Welcome to the forum from Houston! Congrats on the sporty!

Just stick around for a little while and you'll learn a lot and have some fun!

pbudrovic
6th April 2008, 12:06
Welcome to the forum from Dubrovnik,Croatia.

misterT
6th April 2008, 12:09
If you only want low end than as you said you want a 2-2 pipe. I have read numerous times that the cycle shack mufflers are the best bang for your buck. But again I am not sure if they are legal in cali, you may have to stick with the SE legal mufflers.To really make the bike run right you need a good aircleaner and a remap but that is probably illegal there too.

CB160
6th April 2008, 12:19
Hmmm, will definately have to get re-educated on what's Cali legal and what's not...been a long time since I last hung a Kerker 4/1 on the old Honda....and they didn't have cats on motorcycles! I know I need the
O2 sensor mounts, I'm hopin' that those pipes that have those would be
legal here, but I'll have to do the research...but, hey, that's why I'm here..to take advantage of your great wealth of H/D knowledge in guiding the newbie through the land mines (I hope..)
Thanks for all the comments/info so far, keep it comin'!:D

scott494
6th April 2008, 12:34
welcome from, IL/ky enjoy the XLF

CB160
6th April 2008, 12:39
Scott494,
Thanks for the welcome. And thanks
for your Service!!
(former 504MP Battalion,FORSCOM-a long time ago...)

bigjnsa
6th April 2008, 12:43
I did my pipes after having the same issues as you, the bike is just too quiet. I compared the Cycle Shacks and V&H StraightShots. I preferred the look of the StraightShots so I bought a pair off Ebay for $202. Installation was straight forward and took me about 2 hours. I don't know if these pipes are legal in Cali or not, but they are definitely louder ;)

CB160
6th April 2008, 12:47
Cool, Gotta find out about the legal thing..V&H is in my neighborhood,
but do you know if they fit with center controls? Their marketing pic is
on a bike with forward controls....
not my cup of tea......gotta be able to get my fat butt off the seat once in a while, ha!

roadogette
6th April 2008, 12:59
Welcome to the forum from Upstate NY.:banadanc

CB160
6th April 2008, 13:05
Thanks, Roaddogette,
So how's your morning looking? Nice enough to ride today?

bigjnsa
6th April 2008, 13:06
Cool, Gotta find out about the legal thing..V&H is in my neighborhood,
but do you know if they fit with center controls? Their marketing pic is
on a bike with forward controls....
not my cup of tea......gotta be able to get my fat butt off the seat once in a while, ha!

Yes, they fit fine with mid controls, that's what I have. I didn't like the puffed out style of the stock exhaust and prefer the straight pipe look of the V&H. If you do do it yourself, don't do what I did and try and reuse the crossover tube flanges (or whatever they're called). They're press formed steel wool things between the pipe and crossover tube. You *can* reuse them, but its much easier to just get new ones.

As for the sound, WOW, you'll get an instant smile ;) Things I have noticed are the bike vibrates a lot more and idles like a Harley now. Its got great low end POW sound up through all the gears. There is a lull between 50-60, but hit the sweet spot 65-70 and it comes to life and all you hear is the wind and the V twins firing ;)

CB160
6th April 2008, 13:12
Absolutely awesome, that's what I was hoping to hear...just gotta make sure they're CA legal and I'll be ordering up...OK, so where did they hide these "cross over tube flanges" or whatever they are...haven't studied the details that much (yet)...
I have an '08 w/the staggered pipes, and I haven't noticed any cross pipe/connection....am I missing something???

Rock Bottom
6th April 2008, 13:14
First off: Welcome to the forum from S.W. Florida.
I like the S.E. slip-ons for the look & the sound. The seem to be getting a bit more rumbbly as they get more use, So ride a lot. I do....LOL

CB160
6th April 2008, 13:18
Thanks, and Good On Ya, Rock Bottom, ride somemore!!! Really like the "straight pipe" look...but they aren't CA legal, I'll be goin' with the S/E's...
This seems to be a great forum with
alot of friendly/helpful people...glad
I wandered in here!
Ride Safe!

CB160
6th April 2008, 13:21
Welcome to the forum from Houston! Congrats on the sporty!

Just stick around for a little while and you'll learn a lot and have some fun!
Thanks, HRS,
Is the USA Ballroom still open down there? Still don't know how I ever drove home from that place...long time ago!!!
:)

bigjnsa
6th April 2008, 13:27
Absolutely awesome, that's what I was hoping to hear...just gotta make sure they're CA legal and I'll be ordering up...OK, so where did they hide these "cross over tube flanges" or whatever they are...haven't studied the details that much (yet)...
I have an '08 w/the staggered pipes, and I haven't noticed any cross pipe/connection....am I missing something???

There is a crossover pipe, it looks like part of the frame. If you look directly at where the muffler connects to the exhaust pipe, there's a inch or so diameter open flange.

As for the V&H's not being legal, they do have quieter baffles you can install which may make it legal in Cali.

bigjnsa
6th April 2008, 13:28
Thanks, and Good On Ya, Rock Bottom, ride somemore!!! Really like the "straight pipe" look...but they aren't CA legal, I'll be goin' with the S/E's...
This seems to be a great forum with
alot of friendly/helpful people...glad
I wandered in here!
Ride Safe!

This forum is the best. Everything I've learned has come from this community. Even a group ride a few months ago ;)

misterT
6th April 2008, 13:29
The cross over pipe they are talking about is hidden behind the mufflers. it also is part of the mounting system on a 2-2 exhaust. There are gaskets where they meet the exhaust pipe made of a compressed steel wool material. the same as the gaskets in the heads. When changing the pipes you need new ones, use the Screamin Eagle ones on the heads for best results.

CB160
6th April 2008, 13:38
Thanks, Bigjnsa and misterT,
Guess I'll have to take a closer look and the beast at see what's connected to what...Thanks very much for the info...S/E parts it will be.
(do the V&H pipes have the same crossover?) No matter, if they fwork with the center pegs they'll be
my first choice, that is if
they're legal out here...
Just judging by the other H/D's running around, the noise is not much of an issue...I would swear most of the "big guys" are running straight pipes!! Don't dare do that with the S/B....(but it does have a baffle kit in it...ha!) Thanks for the info...

Carl-04XL
6th April 2008, 13:38
Hey CB...

Glad you came into the XLF family. We do have lots of interesting people in here and they have lots of interesting info to share. Hell, even I have something to say that sometimes is useful to others...

So, after the new pipes, what's next on your list of personalization?
Bags?
Bars?
Seats?
Suspension?
Chrome???

Most have gone the seat or suspension route, depending on whether their butt goes numb on long rides or their back gets pounded on (supposedly) smooth pavement.

stealthammer
6th April 2008, 13:40
Welcome to the XLForum!!

CB160
6th April 2008, 13:46
Ordered the two up seat and pegs when I bought the bike (should be here in a few days-they said..)
Pipes, then lots of gas and miles.....
This one is for riding and enjoying,and carrying the occasional passenger (I hope...ha!)
already put too many $$ into the sportbike but it's not happy with the
stop and stop traffic thing down here,
which is why I'm now a Happy Harley owner...may change priorities in a few months, we'll see how it goes...

CB160
6th April 2008, 13:48
Thanks, Stealthammer,
Lovin' the look! The best color too!

snowman
6th April 2008, 13:55

Absolutely my fav for a stock sporty pipe swap!!! Oh yeah,
Welcome to the forum from Michigan!!!:banawala

Your next purchase should be service and parts manuals...:geek:geek:geek

CB160
6th April 2008, 13:58
Hey CB...

Glad you came into the XLF family. We do have lots of interesting people in here and they have lots of interesting info to share. Hell, even I have something to say that sometimes is useful to others...

So, after the new pipes, what's next on your list of personalization?
Bags?
Bars?
Seats?
Suspension?
Chrome???

Most have gone the seat or suspension route, depending on whether their butt goes numb on long rides or their back gets pounded on (supposedly) smooth pavement.

Just re-thought your inquery...(and it's 5:56 am here, why am I still up?)
Seat, ordered, Pass.Pegs, in hand, Pipes, to be ordered almost immediately,
next up might be suspension, although, honestly, I've only put 80 miles on the
bike so far (trying to be fair with the Kawi) but compared with the sportbike,
can't say I have any real complaints so far...but then I haven't pushed it
yet...still break-in and all that... Really can't say anything nice about the brakes other than they work after a fashion (again compared with the other
-night and day) but the other is 150 lbs lighter to start with...and has double disc up front... It really reminds me of my old BSA Victor ('67) which had endless low end torque and was a blast to ride (and a bitch to start- thanks for electric staters)... Ok, this is turning into an essay....nevermind!!!

CB160
6th April 2008, 14:01
Hey Russ,
Where were you stationed? Was "drafted/enlisted" "72-75" myself...
and a definate "roger" on the service manual...gotta learn how this thing is put together....

Billsxl1200c
6th April 2008, 14:07
Welcome to the Forum from the Windy City! There are many good people on this forum with great advice. Enjoy!!

CB160
6th April 2008, 14:16
Thanks, Billsxl1200c,
I've stolen your "Piglet" term...figured that the 883 wouldn't be a "real" HOG, but apparently I might be wrong
guess it's just a "little" HOG for now anyway...may have to invest in the 1200 kit somewhere down the line and make it a honest bike...
(no offense to those with 883's)just
a personal (step down) from the 1000cc S/B....and back closer to SANITY!ha!

xllent01
6th April 2008, 14:24
"Piglet........ little hog.......... then a real "Hog"........... then try to make it an honest bike.......................... then a personal "step down"........

:laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh where does the XLF find these crackers??

CB160
6th April 2008, 14:38
Excuse me, I've been up way too long,
If something I've posted has offended you, feel free to send me a PM, but all remarks I've made are with the best of intentions, with no negative connotations (sp?) anyway,
My PERSONAL vision of a HOG is a MASSIVE 1200+cc machine (I did see "Easy Rider" in it's first showing...for a date reference)and
the Sportster, nice as it is (and I just bought a new one) doesn't really fit my personal definition of the term IMHO! So, please excuse me and have a nice day...(and yeah, I am a cracker....)

Mr Jimi
6th April 2008, 14:42
CB160, a Sportster is a Harley no matter what you call yours or any other one
And you said you were old :roflblack:roflblack I can write you a book on old :shhhh
have fun
Jim

CB160
6th April 2008, 14:58
Just another neebie, tryin' to get along....what else can I say....love the bike (and I currently own for different brands) and this forum seems to be the best XL forum I have found....bought the HARLEY as
an early up coming 56th birthday present to myself...
Figured everyone should own one at least once in their life....havin' a great time so far and enjoying the hell out of it...sorry if what I call it bothers some folks...it's just another motorcycle/vehicle with a very lovely
history...they've done wonders with it in the last 30 years...who knows what the next 30 will hold?

KC_Sporty_Gal
6th April 2008, 15:05
Welcome to the forum. If you're just looking to put different slip ons on the stock header pipes then I don't think you're going to run into any problems with your mid controls.

On a side note I just took my forwards off and put mids on.. few times on my trip up to Alaska I needed to stand and with forwards it aint so easy. I just put my stock mufflers back on though.. the others were too loud. Different strokes for different folks though....

XL 50
6th April 2008, 15:06
Welcome from Orange County Cal

Mr Jimi
6th April 2008, 15:06
I bought my first Harley Sportster in 1972, It was a 73 and again In 2003, I bought another one.
I started on all the smaller bikes of way back when and put many miles on them. Virginia to Maine on a Honda 450 and back :doh I was lots younger then
You will love it here
you have to post pictures of your bike, that is a forum requirement with all of us
We have a gallery here for that and if you need help, we are here for you
:cheers

bsporty
6th April 2008, 15:08
Welcome to the forum from NJ!Congrats on your new ride!

snowman
6th April 2008, 15:09
Hey Russ,
Where were you stationed? Was "drafted/enlisted" "72-75" myself...
and a definate "roger" on the service manual...gotta learn how this thing is put together....

Did AIT in Huntsville at Redstone Arsenal for a year...:usa2 Spent the next two in Wiesbaden, Germany fixing weapons guidance systems that all the field guys had fun shooting off...:roflblack:roflblack:roflblack

CB160
6th April 2008, 15:11
KC Sporty Gal, XL 50 and MrJimi,
Thanks for the welcome,
I'd love to post up a pic of the new baby but it took me 15 min. to figure out how to post my stupid avatar..
Could you give a quick lesson?
Thanks,
GT

CB160
6th April 2008, 15:17
Hi Snowman,
Spent my fun filled years guarding the Golden Gate Bridge with the
504th MP Battalion repairing .45's and M-14's. They tried to send me to Germany but Momma was terminal, so I got a pass to stay stateside.(only son and all that)...woulda been happy to go if Momma would have- ah well you know....

snowman
6th April 2008, 15:18
Take a look at this:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&op=newarticle&id=48

CB160
6th April 2008, 15:21
OK, where is the appropriate place to
post "neebie" pics, Please?

Mr Jimi
6th April 2008, 15:24
OK, where is the appropriate place to
post "neebie" pics, Please?

gallery and It's very easy
make sure you click SAVE at bottom
:tour

CB160
6th April 2008, 15:26
OK, let's give it a try...thanks!

Bob F
6th April 2008, 15:28
Hello GT from Pittsburgh and welcome to the forum.

skidril
6th April 2008, 15:30
Cb,

Welcome!

I aint no spring chicken either, but could not stand the sound or lack there of with the stock pipes, so I bought a set or Rush slip-ons with 2" baffles. Best thing about them is that you can adjust the sound level by choosing a differant baflle (they make 4 or 5 types).

If you want to hear what they sound like let me know.

CB160
6th April 2008, 15:58
This may be the wrong way but it's worked elsewhere......
My New Baby.....http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc7/GTZX10R/babyharley006-1-1.jpg

Now, I have a photobucket account, can someone give a "compuidiot" the easy way to place a photo in the gallery?
Printed out the linked instructions but I'm not havin' any luck....
Thanks for your patience....
GT

skien
6th April 2008, 16:17
Hei from one gray hair guy in Wisconsin home of the old Davidson welcome to the forum.

CB160
6th April 2008, 16:22
Thank you, sir. It's a nice place to be! Hope things are warming up in your neighborhood!

robert
6th April 2008, 16:27
Welcome from Monterey. What part of Cali are you in?

CB160
6th April 2008, 16:30
I'd be just south of LAX / Los Angeles
(unfortunately) right now I wish I was closer to somewhere else....

snowman
6th April 2008, 16:38
This may be the wrong way but it's worked elsewhere......
My New Baby.....http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc7/GTZX10R/babyharley006-1-1.jpg

Now, I have a photobucket account, can someone give a "compuidiot" the easy way to place a photo in the gallery?
Printed out the linked instructions but I'm not havin' any luck....
Thanks for your patience....
GT

Nice scoot!!!
See you caught on to the posting pics thing...:wonderlan :wonderlan :wonderlan

CB160
6th April 2008, 16:41
Lol, posting the pic in the thread was easy enough....now how the heck do
ya get one into the gallery....keeps telling me the pic is too large....:frownthre
Oh, and thanks....saw one in Tulsa and had to buy one when I got home....

gomorley
6th April 2008, 17:01
You could try an image resizer like http://www.multipleimageresizer.net/download.aspx to reduce the size of you pics

CB160
6th April 2008, 17:15
Hi Gomorley,
tried resizing via photobucket but
wasn't doin' it (worked to post the pic on the thread)...will have to look again, but didn't see a size limit for the gallery pics...did I miss something?

xllent01
6th April 2008, 17:20
When you upload pics to photobucket they get resized automatically in your account.

If you use there photo editing software you have to right click and save back to your computer or you upload to your account from there once you press saved or finished!!

CB160
6th April 2008, 17:24
Thanks, XLLENT01,
I'll mess around with it somemore...
GT

ParrotHead
6th April 2008, 17:36
Welcome from Philly and enjoy the bike.

gomorley
6th April 2008, 17:38
Hi Gomorley,
tried resizing via photobucket but
wasn't doin' it (worked to post the pic on the thread)...will have to look again, but didn't see a size limit for the gallery pics...did I miss something?

I think there is a size limit and a daily upload of three pics, but if you become a Team Member the restrictions are removed

wandrur
6th April 2008, 18:55

Welcome from Boulder, Colorado!

As for the V&H SS, yep, they're louder. But keep in mind that they are designed to bump power in the mid-range and up, so you'll actually lose a little on the lower end. They sound great, though. I have the 'quiet' baffles in mine, and they're still too loud for my tastes. But they look great and the sound even better. Definitely deepened the tone compared to the stock pipes. Best of luck choosing!

Rascal
6th April 2008, 19:52
Congrats on getting the bike! Welcome to the forum!

CB160
12th November 2009, 07:23
After a year and a half of hangin' out here and learning soooo much about my
'then new scooter', I just wanted to thank you all for your responses and all the
information and tips that I've gained along the way.
Thanks!! :)

Durockrolly
12th November 2009, 07:59
CB160! I'm here in the PAsadena area if you ever want to ride!!!

henry p ratas
12th November 2009, 13:21
I took my screamin eagle generics (from v-twin) which had baffles in them ,drilled the holes out in the baffles to 3/8 ths put them back in and sounds awesome!Runs better too after working with the carb

AsSeenOnTV
14th November 2009, 15:59
Welcome to the forum from Idaho :D

colonelangus
14th November 2009, 16:43
welcome to the forum from b.c canada..baby harley thems is fightin words lol
no baby harley or girls bike statements allowed :laugh

:smoke

Billsxl1200c
15th November 2009, 22:45
Welcome to the Forum from the Windy City!