PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear your motorcycle jacket when your not riding?

maxima
5th January 2006, 17:20
hey guys
I have an HD leather jacket that i bought which is so comfortable that I want to use it as an everyday jacket for these Chicago winters. But my soon to be wife says it looks stupid when your not actually on your bike. What does everyone else think? To wear or not to wear?

BTW, she mainly does not like it because it looks like it has armor on the shoulders, but it doesn't.

Thanks

invaliduser
5th January 2006, 17:24
I ware mine sometimes. Don't have a harley jacket, but it is a motorcycle jacket. I like to ware it off the bike.

TheTick
5th January 2006, 17:28
If it has armor pads and zipper vents don't wear it off the bike.
If it has huge Harley logos, don't wear it at all.

greanmeany1
5th January 2006, 17:30
My Everyday Jacket Is A Black Leather 80 Dolloar Cosco Jacket. It Is On Its 3 Rd Winter And Holding Up Well.
I Do Have A Biker Type Jacket. I Would Not Be Caught Dead With It On Except On A Bike Ride. Thats Just Me

rlstone
5th January 2006, 17:39
I only wear my leather jacket when I'm riding.

kmorris913
5th January 2006, 17:40
I have an old Flying Biker jacket with armor on the shoulders and vents front and back. I wear it all the time, riding or not. I don't really care what other people think of it when I'm not riding. Didn't even think it was an issue until you just brought it up. And, its really the only jacket I have. Sure I've got an old Colts jacket that I wear out to work around the house and such but my leather jacket is basically it.

Maybe I'm just cheap but why spend the money on another jacket when the one you have works just fine. :)

phantom
5th January 2006, 17:42
I wear mine sometimes,I have a bomber style jacket also,this one I wear all the time.

Jhard206
5th January 2006, 17:45
I wouldn't wear mine because it is a bit on the heavy side for everyday use. I've thought about it though and it wouldn't be so bad as long as the weather demands it.

Moved On / My Own Choice
5th January 2006, 18:08
This thread is screaming for a

POSER accusation, is it not?

:laugh

Uhh, I've worn my leather motorcycle jacket to halloween partys (cause I never "dress up" so I go as something I am, like a biker, or a wrench, etc).

and I've worn my motorcycle pants (waterproof textile, but with armor) skiing, don't THINK I've ever skied in the jacket, though I can't say for sure. I might have loaned it to someone to ski in before (since it's waterproof and textile too).

Other than that, uhh, no!

Kev

Lippi
5th January 2006, 18:11
I wear mine all the time. Either on the bike or when it's cold outside. Shows pride for what I love. I live in Wisconsin so it keeps me pretty warm all year around.

release
5th January 2006, 18:49
I don't know if I have a Biker jacket - I have 3 leather jackets - no Harley (way too expensive), and I wear each and any of them as the need arises. 2 of them are brown leather (so not your classic biker look). I also wear my ski pants riding when the temperature dictates, but I haven't worn my ski jacket on the bike, or my leathers on the slopes.

John

olderthandirt
5th January 2006, 18:53
Wore my leather jackets when ever I needed a jacket. What is a bike jacket? Only a jacket you wear when your riding or is it a comfotable leather jacket that keeps you warm? Mine one and the same.

Moker
5th January 2006, 18:53
If it has armor pads and zipper vents don't wear it off the bike.
If it has huge Harley logos, don't wear it at all.
but what if you run into an errant knight wreaking havoc on the population, you'll be glad you had that armor
:danceele

pquirk
5th January 2006, 19:12
Dude, if you like it wear it. If your "soon-to-be-wife" says it looks stupid maybe she should be a "sooner-to-be-ex-GF". The critiques will only get worse after you're legally bound :laugh . Also, don't listen to anyone who tells you what you should or shouldn't wear, it's none of their friggin biz, wear what you want when you want and don't ever ask such a dumb question again (just kiddin' ;) ).

Kelley
5th January 2006, 19:21
but what if you run into an errant knight wreaking havoc on the population, you'll be glad you had that armor
:danceele
Is that what happened to that denim jacket of yours??
I have other leather jackets (not riding type) that I wear. Riding jacket is the old style w/ big lapels and is vented in front and back. It is really too heavy for most of the days in So Cal.
I do wear my leather vest (no patches or pins) sometimes and I also have a denim HD vest that I wear. If it keeps me warm and is comfortable I wear it.
Now if you are driving to the mall and wearing your chaps, then there may be a problem..:D
Wear what you want, but also try to keep peace in the family and if with the wife and she doesn't like then wear something else.

Kozak
5th January 2006, 19:36
I wear my jacket all the time, riding the bike or not. I could care less what others think.

Ole
5th January 2006, 19:37
but what if you run into an errant knight wreaking havoc on the population, you'll be glad you had that armor :danceele
ARTHUR:
You fight with the strength of many men, Sir Knight.
[pause]
I am Arthur, King of the Britons.
[pause]
I seek the finest and the bravest knights in the land to join me in my court at Camelot.
[pause]
You have proved yourself worthy. Will you join me?
[pause]
You make me sad. So be it. Come, Patsy.
BLACK KNIGHT:
None shall pass.
ARTHUR:
What?
BLACK KNIGHT:
None shall pass.
ARTHUR:
I have no quarrel with you, good Sir Knight, but I must cross this bridge.
BLACK KNIGHT:
Then you shall die.
ARTHUR:
I command you, as King of the Britons, to stand aside!
BLACK KNIGHT:
I move for no man.
ARTHUR:
So be it!

and the battle begins...hey it could happen, right?

Moved On / My Own Choice
5th January 2006, 19:42
Dude, if you like it wear it. If your "soon-to-be-wife" says it looks stupid maybe she should be a "sooner-to-be-ex-GF". The critiques will only get worse after you're legally bound :laugh . Also, don't listen to anyone who tells you what you should or shouldn't wear, it's none of their friggin biz, wear what you want when you want and don't ever ask such a dumb question again (just kiddin' ;) ).

I'd give the exact opposite advice.

Last time I checked the women in my life had a LOT better taste in clothes than I do.

Whenever we go somewhere nice I just give Jenn a nod and she'll lay out clothes for me to where.

And besides, when she thinks I look good in something there's an even better chance of gettin' laid!

Life is too good to look like a dork walking around the mall in a motorcycle jacket (when you arrived in a car), cause I spend enough time looking like that when I arrived on the bike. :D

K

kmorris913
5th January 2006, 19:49
Gee Kev,

I look like a dork no matter what I'm wearing!!:banana

toadster
5th January 2006, 19:52
If it's comfortable wear it .Who gives a rat's ass what anyone thinks.:censor em

Moved On / My Own Choice
5th January 2006, 19:57
Gee Kev,

I look like a dork no matter what I'm wearing!!:banana

:roflblack

I can relate. :doh

cantolina
5th January 2006, 19:57
My bike leather is pretty much my bike leather...with my record, its not all that pretty anyway :laugh

I do wear my vest a good deal, especially in the summer, because I may not be riding right NOW, but I will be SOMETIME that day :)

And when the wife says no, sometimes I even let her..

xena
5th January 2006, 20:15
I've got two HD leathers. I wear them sometimes when I'm not on the bike, no big deal. If I'm working I won't wear them, but if I'm just going to hang out with friends at their home or at a local sports bar or something I might wear one. All depends on where I'm going.

Lynk
5th January 2006, 20:17
If your jacket is that comfortable, then wear it. On the other hand, if you're just trying to show off your riding gear, then you're a poser.

I wear a tight, heavy leather (old-skewl H-D) and chaps for riding. The idea is that they'll protect me, as well as support my riding posture... they aren't all that comfortable for casual wear. Around town, I'll grab my lamb-skin or swede, I don't want to be wearing pig!

The same goes for my snowboarding gear. Yeah, I used to wear some snowboarding pants for rainy rides. The first time that I burned a hole through a $150 pair, I invested in some chaps.

There will be critics, but in the end, they will see the use of your functional gear. When I recently went snowboarding with a couple of friends, they laughed at the fact that I was wearing a "Camelback," and a helmet with built-in headphones. By the end of the day, they were parched and envious.

garman68hd
5th January 2006, 20:25
I payed for it, I like it, it's warm, it's comfortable, it reminds me that the season is not too far away, it has good, solid pockets, it looks good, it was expensive, hell yeah I'm wearing it, when and wherever I like.

Don't step on my blue suede shoes..

:D

GnFishn
5th January 2006, 20:27
I wear mine whenever I want to. On or off the bike. If you are comfortable in it that's all that counts. Don't worry about other people's opinions. It's kind of like your Sporty, make it what you want it to be and not to please others.

68B_Body
5th January 2006, 20:56
what if you go somewhere on your bike with your leather jacket then you get off to go to wal- mart, mall, victoria secrets, wherever... do you take your jacket off and put on something more appropriate for those places?

Moved On / My Own Choice
5th January 2006, 21:02
what if you go somewhere on your bike with your leather jacket then you get off to go to wal- mart, mall, victoria secrets, wherever... do you take your jacket off and put on something more appropriate for those places?

Sometimes, but if you don't people do tend to look at you like you got 3-heads.

Let's try something else here?

Do you wear your helmet when you're not riding?

It's the same thing.

(I realize the difference is that a helmet is viewed ONLY as safety gear and not as a "hat" but honestly, is your jacket safety gear or just to keep you warm. The answer will likely change your answer to the question posed in this thread. And the TYPE of jacket, and it's functionality for those purposes will affect it too, since I wear highly functional gear first and foremost, it would be STUPID to walk around with it when not riding. BUT if I wore "fashion" gear that looked good, but didn't offer as much crash protection, then the answer might be different")

Kev

AZFlyingDiver
5th January 2006, 21:09
Wear what you want :-)
Today I wore a letterman style jacket 'cause it was warm enough to ride in.
Yesterday I wore the "biker" (non-HD) leather jacket.
Sometimes I wear my flight jacket.
I don't think about what I'm going to wear until I'm headed out the door - and only then it's about what I'd be most comfortable in at the moment, whether I'm ridin' or not.

Carina
5th January 2006, 21:10
I wear mine all the time! Its nice and warm and I dont mind looking like the biker I am. A lot of people wear biker jackets and dont even have a bike! I specially like the one I saw on a right poser. He probably thought he had got a real bargain, but his logo on the back read "Hardly Davidson"! LOL

Sandman
5th January 2006, 21:17
Okay, this is getting ridiculous. Everyone has there opinion on it. So again, it is going to revert back to ........ do what you want and screw everyone else. Would I wear a helmet off the bike? Yeah, in some cases, like when I'm at a gas station and it's 25 degrees outside and I gotta pay and the damn card reader don't work at the pump....I keep the lid on and go inside and pay. Do I care....no. Do I wear it in the mall....no, cause I'm gonna be in there awhile and it is NOT comfortable to be wearing for long periods if I don't have to. My jacket, yeah, cause it is comfortable, and it is the best winter jacket I have cause I dropped a lot of coin on it and it is very warm. I don't care what others think, nor am I worried about whether what I am wearing is going to get me laid by my own wife! And the term "poser", well isn't that a psychological nightmare! I think if one is ever worried about being one, or uses the term constantly, then they are more apt to be one. Hmmm....I don't think I'll wear my jacket into the store, I might "look" like a poser. I am what I am....not trying to be anything. Be what you are, and you'll be you. If you wear your jacket, you can be a warm you. If you wear a jacket other than a biker jacket, you will still be a warm you. ;)

TiBaal89
5th January 2006, 21:18
I wear mine all the time. Either on the bike or when it's cold outside. Shows pride for what I love. I live in Wisconsin so it keeps me pretty warm all year around.

Amen to that! I wear my HD leather with a flannel under it all winter - its great!

As well, not doing something to avoid being a poser is as bad or worse as doing something to be a poser in my book. Do what you want! :tour

Ole
5th January 2006, 21:21
Okay, this is getting ridiculous...
No SH*T! :roflblack

AZFlyingDiver
5th January 2006, 21:27
As well, not doing something to avoid being a poser is as bad or worse as doing something to be a poser in my book. Do what you want! :tour
:clap :clap
Otherwise I'd be off to remove all non-functional elements off my bike, purge my closet of HD gear, avoid being seen publicly while riding lest I be accused of showing off my bike, and definitely ride alone to avoid being associated with potential posers. Sh**, guess I should just get rid of the bike, since if I can't do anything with it or away from it that even suggests I have a HARLEY, I can't even park it in the garage to look at since that would be posin' too!:roflblack

xena
5th January 2006, 21:28
I agree, and after reading through the thread I see that the original poster has had his question answered by folks with many different points of view.

Moved On / My Own Choice
5th January 2006, 21:34
Jeez, it's so funny how some of you guys get so riled up over an opinion.

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. Everyone has there opinion on it. So again, it is going to revert back to ........ do what you want and screw everyone else.

If you truly feel that way, why bother expressing an opinion.

Would I wear a helmet off the bike? Yeah, in some cases, like when I'm at a gas station and it's 25 degrees outside and I gotta pay and the damn card reader don't work at the pump....I keep the lid on and go inside and pay.

Uh, duh.

No, you thought I was advocating taking off your helmet, gloves, boots, chaps and jacket just to go pay for gas. :rolleyes:

Do I wear it in the mall....no, cause I'm gonna be in there awhile and it is NOT comfortable to be wearing for long periods if I don't have to. My jacket, yeah, cause it is comfortable, and it is the best winter jacket I have cause I dropped a lot of coin on it and it is very warm.

So which is it, if it's so comfortable and warm, wouldn't it be a bitch to wear around the mall (looking like a dork ;) )

I don't care what others think

Hmm, you sure seem to express it alot for someone who doesn't care what we think.

, nor am I worried about whether what I am wearing is going to get me laid by my own wife!

Jeez, caring about that just seems like good sense, heck, if nothing else it's polite, but I would have put it under smart. Oh well.

And the term "poser", well isn't that a psychological nightmare! I think if one is ever worried about being one, or uses the term constantly, then they are more apt to be one. Hmmm....I don't think I'll wear my jacket into the store, I might "look" like a poser. I am what I am....not trying to be anything.

Do you actually think there are human beings to whom that train of thought occurs before they walk into a store. That's hilarious.

Moved On / My Own Choice
5th January 2006, 21:36
:clap :clap
Otherwise I'd be off to remove all non-functional elements off my bike, purge my closet of HD gear, avoid being seen publicly while riding lest I be accused of showing off my bike, and definitely ride alone to avoid being associated with potential posers. Sh**, guess I should just get rid of the bike, since if I can't do anything with it or away from it that even suggests I have a HARLEY, I can't even park it in the garage to look at since that would be posin' too!:roflblack

Boy, I'm beginning to think that the word poser gets you guys more riled up than the word Gay.

Like I said earlier, I think it has a lot to do with the jacket in question. The more functional and bike dedicated, the less likely it makes sense, jokes about "posers" withstanding or not.

K

oakies
5th January 2006, 21:43
I wear a Carhart or a leather jacket in the winter. I never wear my good biker jacket unless I've got the bike with me. For some reason it just doesnt seem right. Like the guys that wear their orange hunting jackets with licence on the back..Just to show people they're a "hunter". In the middle of the winter, I could care less if other people know Im a biker. I dont ride my bike or dress like a biker to impress anyone.

TheTick
5th January 2006, 22:10
I agree, and after reading through the thread I see that the original poster has had his question answered by folks with many different points of view.

Whoops... I thought the original poster was joking :doh

Lynk
5th January 2006, 22:15
Do you actually think there are human beings to whom that train of thought occurs before they walk into a store. That's hilarious.

It *is* hilarious... there *are* people that think that way! There are those among us to become so wrapped up in their own feeling of need for worth, that they are willing to do anything they can to feel accepted. Yet, their attempts are counter-productive, as they are simply losing a sense of individuality, which is the one thing that society views as value (individual contribution). Hey psych, roll that one up and smoke it! :smoke

D00d... just be yourself! That's what biking is all about... yet, again, we're back in this cyclical routine of discussing what one person should do. Gawd man, you're the only person who can make you "you!" Learn it now, and ye shall experience the comfort of being yourself.

Carina
5th January 2006, 22:19
Yes Lynk, and it is quite facinating to see what makes all the "you"s out there tic.. I am proud not to follow the crowds opinion, but I can also see how some need to.

Moved On / My Own Choice
5th January 2006, 22:19
It *is* hilarious... there *are* people that think that way! There are those among us to become so wrapped up in their own feeling of need for worth, that they are willing to do anything they can to feel accepted. Yet, their attempts are counter-productive, as they are simply losing a sense of individuality, which is the one thing that society views as value (individual contribution). Hey psych, roll that one up and smoke it! :smoke

Now THAT is the most accurate definition of a poser we've seen yet. We need a little bowing to your superior gremlin! I guess this will have to do :clap

D00d... just be yourself! That's what biking is all about... yet, again, we're back in this cyclical routine of discussing what one person should do. Gawd man, you're the only person who can make you "you!" Learn it now, and ye shall experience the comfort of being yourself.

Well said, again, well said! :clap

Streak70
5th January 2006, 22:20
And besides, when she thinks I look good in something there's an even better chance of gettin' laid! :D

K

:roflblack :roflblack :roflblack ....and I can relate to that!

Moved On / My Own Choice
5th January 2006, 22:20
Yes Lynk, and it is quite facinating to see what makes all the "you"s out there tic.. I am proud not to follow the crowds opinion, but I can also see how some need to.

OK, I gotta ask this.

Since the crowd here seems to have the opinion of "screw what everyone thinks" would only a true individualist care what "everyone else thinks" :p :roflblack

Carina
5th January 2006, 22:23
I guess we are the "In-Crowd" then!
I am lumbered with all sorts of straight people here, being the one of two bikers on my island. It is only in this forum I find peace, man!
LOL

hymie
5th January 2006, 22:45
i wear whatever i wan't,wherever i go,if someone does'nt like it tough shit. that's my opinion.

OldDen
5th January 2006, 22:58
Never thought about it but the question gave me reason too.
No I don't wear leather normally when not riding as I find them to be warm, heavy and stiff, maybe I buy cheap but thats my findings though if your comfortable wear what you like. A lesson I learned years ago if you keep your wife/girlfriend happy you most likely will be happy too so wear what she likes.

kiltbill
5th January 2006, 23:09
Nope... Not ever

But I do wear my Full Face when I am in the Bank! Why do they seem so keen to Give me money? and why is my name on that wanted poster?

merc
5th January 2006, 23:15
I have 4 leather jackets.
One is black and has the A2 pilot styling. This is my everyday winter wear. Not on the bike.
the 2nd is what I call my 50's motorcycle jacket. Black-zippers on the pockets-big lapels. Wear it riding all the time. Sometimes wear it not riding in the winter.
the 3rd is a short collar black leather motorcycle jacket. I never weear it because I bout it when I weighed 140 pounds in 1980. Now I am a fat so&so and it doesn't zip. I have been saving it for when I get skinny again.
the 4th is a motor cycle cops jacket that my kid had when he was a motorcycle cop. Yep-it's black too. And I wear it sometimes not riding-sometimes riding.
They are all cool jackets and comfortable and I like them. So I wear them.
Can you tell I like leather and black?

Moker
5th January 2006, 23:29
Is that what happened to that denim jacket of yours??

don't you sas me!

that's it, i've had it. prepare yourself knave!!!

http://www.moker.us/pic/twak.gif

883rnh
5th January 2006, 23:42
I wear my riding jacket anytime i feel like it. Anyhow I love leather.

t.c. Johnson
5th January 2006, 23:42
I used to wear a "highwayman" leather biker jacket before I even had a motorcycle.

I wore it to look like Bruce Springsteen.

Then he took to working out, marrying supermodels and moved out of Jersey.

I stopped wearing the jacket.

ocndaf
5th January 2006, 23:44
It is what it is, it's only a jacket wear what you like. Doing anything else is just a cry for attention, like my poser sister and brother-inlaw wearing their padded leather bike jackets to our grandmother's funeral so everyone would know they had a Harley, and he was a pallbearer there is a place for everything. And they looked just like what they where posers. It was disrespectfull to our mother and our grandmothers memory.

Albie1200
6th January 2006, 00:09
I don't really wear my leather jacket because like what Kelley said, it's just too hot here to wear such a heavy thing.

I do have a HD cloth jacket for spring and summer night rides, that I wear quite often while off the bike.

Then again I wear my chaps to the beach over my speedo since I burn easily:shhhh :D

cantolina
6th January 2006, 00:15
I guess I didn't give this enough thought....

I've worn leathers my whole life, just about (I was a rock and roll tour manager)

So, as a result, I have several leathers, but my riding leather is so beat from the Bambi thing that I ONLY wear it when I ride...

Its also very ride-specific in its style....

I have a 25 yr old leather that I wear for giggles....

arjay
6th January 2006, 00:25
A lesson I learned years ago if you keep your wife/girlfriend happy you most likely will be happy too so wear what she likes.
My GF likes fuzzy slippers, and pink half-top thingys, and thongs too. As much as I'd like to keep her around, I just don't think I could handle the pressure. Besides none of her s#&t fits me very well, except maybe the thong thing, but I don't even know which part goes where.;)

xena
6th January 2006, 00:26
I do have a HD cloth jacket for spring and summer night rides, that I wear quite often while off the bike................
Then again I wear my chaps to the beach over my speedo since I burn easily:shhhh :D

Hehehe. Well now that's a refreshing humorous twist from this otherwise beat to death mundane subject. :clap

883 custom
6th January 2006, 00:32
Is this a rump ranger beach?:D

Sorry couldn't resist:roflblack

Kelley
6th January 2006, 00:35
Hehehe. Well now that's a refreshing humorous twist from this otherwise beat to death mundane subject. :clap
Humorous............not if you have met Jason. It is not a picture I want to see:D
Beat to death is the truest statement in quite a few posts:)

cantolina
6th January 2006, 00:37
Lighten up!!!

Us in the NE can't ride, so we need these stupid threads to keep us breathing!

Sandman
6th January 2006, 00:42
Jeez, it's so funny how some of you guys get so riled up over an opinion.

If you truly feel that way, why bother expressing an opinion.

Uh, duh.

No, you thought I was advocating taking off your helmet, gloves, boots, chaps and jacket just to go pay for gas. :rolleyes:

So which is it, if it's so comfortable and warm, wouldn't it be a bitch to wear around the mall (looking like a dork ;) )

Hmm, you sure seem to express it alot for someone who doesn't care what we think.

Jeez, caring about that just seems like good sense, heck, if nothing else it's polite, but I would have put it under smart. Oh well.

This is just funny! :roflblack

xena
6th January 2006, 00:51
Us in the NE can't ride, so we need these stupid threads to keep us breathing!

What? This statement from the proclaimed year round rider? ;)

cantolina
6th January 2006, 00:57
What? This statement from the proclaimed year round rider? ;)

Well, WTF?!??!?!

Xena is BUSTING MY BALLS!!!!

I AM a year-round rider, but I ain't stupid about it...

Besides, I'm down for my conversion....:banana :banana :banana

XLFREAK
6th January 2006, 00:58
I wear mine all winter. It's the warmest jacket I have.

OldDen
6th January 2006, 00:59
My GF likes fuzzy slippers, and pink half-top thingys, and thongs too. As much as I'd like to keep her around, I just don't think I could handle the pressure. Besides none of her s#&t fits me very well, except maybe the thong thing, but I don't even know which part goes where.;)
What size is she they might fit me.

OldDen
6th January 2006, 01:03

Mundane-----------as soon as I get those fuzzy slippers, and pink half-top thingys, I am going to meet Albie on the beach, this isn't mundane, at least not to east coast spring waiters!

Kelley
6th January 2006, 01:14
This is what is happening back east every night
Or is this Moker???????????

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2949508997989707181

Lynk
6th January 2006, 01:29
This is what is happening back east every night
Or is this Moker???????????

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2949508997989707181

THAT is a poser!

pquirk
6th January 2006, 01:39
Well, WTF?!??!?!

Xena is BUSTING MY BALLS!!!!

I AM a year-round rider, but I ain't stupid about it...

Besides, I'm down for my conversion....:banana :banana :bananaYou're becoming Jewish? Who do you have to go down on to do that? :smoke

famousperson
6th January 2006, 01:41
My Harley leather jacket is too heavy to wear just around so I only wear it riding. I wear a goretex shell over a fleece or just the goretex or just the fleece depending and that is all the jackets I need even in the winter.

But if I had a good-fitting, lightweight leather motorcycle jacket, which I hope I do by the coming summer, I'd wear it around even if it said Harley on it. Why not? I ride one so it's hardly posing.

famousperson
6th January 2006, 01:48

Some of us weren't here for the first, second, third... times around and we enjoy participating, too.

nzsailor
6th January 2006, 02:02
mundane???????????
i aint laffed this hard since last time i watched a tim robbins flick

dwells59
6th January 2006, 02:05
I wear mine when i am not riding. I am just proud to own a Harley. Mine is a nylon HD jacket. Where i bought my bike we had hot summers now i am on the opposite side of the state and need leather. I say wear it if you are a proud HD owner.

lefty
6th January 2006, 02:45
:smoke When on the bike, I look like I'm on a bike. When going out I generally wear what the ol' lady tells me. Life is too short to complicate it. As someone else said about his wife several pages ago, her fashion sense beats mine. For example she'll let me know if my "Mustache rides 25 cents" t-shirt is acceptable or not when we're going out. I've found it's generally not so I wear it around the house. Come to think of it, she rarely selects clothes I purchased by myself when we go out, just the "average Joe" stuff she makes me buy when she makes me go shopping with her. I guess I should be grateful that I've been successful professionally dressing as she suggests even though I hate that $hit. And, just exactly why am I rambling on like this?

I like leather jackets, so I have a selection of colors and styles, but only one (armored and such) for riding and that's what I use it for.

Ramblin' Lefty

Casper
6th January 2006, 02:57
Yeah, I wear the leather jacket as my daily jacket. It hasn't gotten cold enough around here to have to switch to the winter coat on a full time basis...yet.

Sandman
6th January 2006, 04:17
Kev, you totally misunderstand what I was saying. See if ya can follow along...

1) I don't think you're advocating anything. Why would you assume that I assumed you were advocating something? Just pointing out there are situations where something like that could occur and I don't know if you've thought about those cause I am not a mind reader, cause quite honestly some of the stuff you say doesn't really seem like it should be coming from someone of your age/maturity level.

Quote by Kev: Jeez, caring about that just seems like good sense, heck, if nothing else it's polite, but I would have put it under smart. Oh well.

2) The point I was trying to make here is that it's not something that needs that much thought in my case. That part of my marriage is great, and I don't have to be concerned with how much something I am wearing is going to turn on my wife. That's a good thing cause I do look like a complete dork most of the time! Sure, your above statement makes sense, sure it's smart. But my point is still valid. Hopefully it is a valid one in your relationship.

Quote by Kev: Do you actually think there are human beings to whom that train of thought occurs before they walk into a store. That's hilarious.

3) And the following human being with that train of thought...

Quote by Kev: Life is too good to look like a dork walking around the mall in a motorcycle jacket

Obviously there are...now that's hilarious...:laugh

And actually, the whole point of my initial post was....don't follow anyone's opinion, to do what you want, wear what you want. You actually gave an opinion to NOT wear a jacket.

4) And once again...the point of my original post...

Quote by Impact883: Be what you are, and you'll be you. If you wear your jacket, you can be a warm you. If you wear a jacket other than a biker jacket, you will still be a warm you.

newberrykc
6th January 2006, 05:12
I say where what you want when you want. I wear my HD Denim jacket whenever I am cold. If someone don't like it, that's their problem. If someone wants me to wear something else, then buy me something else. I also wear HD shirts too, so what...I am proud to own a HD...
But if you wear a helmet while you are not riding, your just an idiot IMO. That statement didn't even make sense... That is something my kid would've said.. :frownthre

It's like wiping before you poop, just don't make sense...

Sandman
6th January 2006, 05:21
I say where what you want when you want. I wear my HD Denim jacket whenever I am cold. If someone don't like it, that's their problem. If someone wants me to wear something else, then buy me something else. I also wear HD shirts too, so what...I am proud to own a HD...
But if you wear a helmet while you are not riding, your just an idiot IMO. That statement didn't even make sense... That is something my kid would've said.. :frownthre

It's like wiping before you poop, just don't make sense...

Exactly....it just don't make sense! :roflblack

ill_phil
6th January 2006, 05:31
Do what the wifey says. In my experience, better to just let her be right and wear another jacket.

But I got a leather jacket that isn't specifically designed for bikers ... so I wear mine all the time

Johnny G
6th January 2006, 06:19
I have a original Members only black leather cafe jacket that I were out to the most elite places but I never wear my HD jacket exept when I am riding, it has a big Harley Davidson logo on the back and I feel out of place wearing it for any other reason

jamman
6th January 2006, 07:04
On my third leather, wore the first from high school , until it could be repaired no more, Wore the second (my fathers), until middle age spread insisted on a new one. Son is now third generation on Dads leather. Wear when I like on or of the bike. Jacket of cjoice for informal situations..

f77
6th January 2006, 08:22
why not?
usually i wear mine for the everyday use

Moved On / My Own Choice
6th January 2006, 12:32
Ok, first off, I gotta say that I drove again this morning (gotta pick up my daughter after school and she's not quite ready to ride yet, especially in these temps), and as I was reading what fun I missed last night someone mentioned fleece for winter and BAMN.

I realized it.

I'm a mountain climber Poser. :doh :frownthre

I love gear from Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) and it's pretty much all I wear all winter (especially skiing) when I'm not on my bike.

But the store is REALLY focused more on mountain climbers (and hikers and those silly too much effort cross country skiers, silly rabit water and people flow DOWNHILL).

Anyway, I couldn't climb if I wanted to, I'm PETRIFIED of heights. I remember installing a lift in the shop one day, I was up top running the hydraulic lines for a 1/2 hour and by the time I got down I was practically trembling, couldn't even hold the ratchet straight anymore.

So friends, I dress like a mountain climber poser when not riding.

Now Impact my friend, as Will Smith says in Independence Day, "you and I, we're gonna have to work on our communication"

You continue to take me too seriously on this.

Kev, you totally misunderstand what I was saying. See if ya can follow along...

1) I don't think you're advocating anything. Why would you assume that I assumed you were advocating something?

Chew keep using dat wurd, I do not think it means, what you think it means ;) (extra credit for who can name that quote).

When you say

Just pointing out there are situations where something like that could occur

Bullshit. I stated a position, then you argued an obviously ridiculous example supposedly of that position taken to an extreme. Ergo, you attempted to use a "Swiftian (as in Jonathon Swift) arguement to ridicule the original position, but it was taken to such an extreme as not to successfully make the logical connection (i.e. it was NOT my original position).

Did you follow that?

cause quite honestly some of the stuff you say doesn't really seem like it should be coming from someone of your age/maturity level.

The wise ass in my wants to tell you to f off or :rolleyes: (as that's just insulting)

but the other half of the wise ass in me wants to simple say, "I never claimed to be mature"

but the dic@#$@#$head in me wants to say "well, if you actually read and understood what I said you wouldn't be saying that"

I think instead of all those things, I'll just say

:banana

2) The point I was trying to make here is that it's not something that needs that much thought in my case. That part of my marriage is great, and I don't have to be concerned with how much something I am wearing is going to turn on my wife. That's a good thing cause I do look like a complete dork most of the time! Sure, your above statement makes sense, sure it's smart. But my point is still valid. Hopefully it is a valid one in your relationship.

Again you skate around an insult. Look dude, how old are you? How long you been married. On a serious note, there probably comes a time in every relationship where you have to worry about that. No, it's not a concern for me, however, the fact that I do some things just to please my wife is probably WHY the relationship is so strong. I certainly can't see how doing something for her would be a BAD thing in any relationship, especially when it costs you nothing.

Now I'm not saying to wear purple plaid leisure suits if you've married a freak who thinks that's the be-all and end-all, but then again IF YOU DID, well, you married her. If all she wants is a nice pair of slacks once in a while, no sweat of my balls. (and actually, my wife just likes me to wear certain pairs of jeans or sweaters or stuff, nothing too "freaky"). ;)

Quote by Kev: Do you actually think there are human beings to whom that train of thought occurs before they walk into a store. That's hilarious.

3) And the following human being with that train of thought...

Quote by Kev: Life is too good to look like a dork walking around the mall in a motorcycle jacket

Obviously there are...now that's hilarious...:laugh

Ya know, if we keep this up Xena or someone is gonna come by and tell us to back off. But I gotta say, you see one small part of an argument and jump on it failing to see the rest.

My friend, there are degrees to everything (extremes to both arguments and actions, past which the subject becomes ridiculous) and you've obviously missed it again here.

The two statements are not mutually exclusive as your first quote was, as I demonstrated, just plain stupid. And the quote of mine the you site was mostly in jest. As I cited, there are other, more valid reasons for me not to wear my motorcycle jacket in the mall -

1. It's likely too warm
2. It's large and bulky.
3. I have saddlebags I can lock it in.

Is number 4 or 5 the fact that it does look kinda stupid OFF the bike, especially in the summer? Yes.

Does this stop me from keeping it on if I'm just running into a store for something? No. But see 1, 2 and 3, so if I'm gonna spend any time off the bike I probably take it off.

As I said a couple of pages ago, the SERIOUS answer to this question probably has something more to do with what TYPE of jacket (and other gear you wear). The more functional and less fashionable, probably the less likely you would be to wear it off the bike.

And actually, the whole point of my initial post was....don't follow anyone's opinion, to do what you want, wear what you want. You actually gave an opinion to NOT wear a jacket.

It's kinda funny, but think about it.

IS THERE A SINGLE PERSON HERE who wouldn't laugh at some trunk monkey who put his chaps on a drove to the mall?

But many feel different about their jackets? Why?

As much as people claim to be individualists, there are conventions that just plain make sense. Walking around wearing a dive mask, snorkel and fins on the beach is fine, but in the mall, you're gonna look a dork. If you don't care, GREAT, I could use another laugh, feel free.

Ride safe,

Kev

Carina
6th January 2006, 12:37
oh, my dear Kev, this is a bit of a long post this time of the day isnt it??LOL
Have a nice day!

Moved On / My Own Choice
6th January 2006, 12:40
oh, my dear Kev, this is a bit of a long post this time of the day isnt it??LOL
Have a nice day!

I get to work super early on Fridays so I can pick my daughter up from school and get an early start on the weekend.

And I write for a living, so a long post is a simple as breathing to me (probably just as boring as my breathing to others :doh ).

Have a great weekend!!!

Kev

Carina
6th January 2006, 12:42
Your posts are always worth a read! Have a good weekend you too!

MNewYork
6th January 2006, 12:44
I only wear mine when I'm riding. It's heavy, bulky and full of armor.

Moved On / My Own Choice
6th January 2006, 12:46
Your posts are always worth a read! Have a good weekend you too!

If only for a laugh right!

But hey, that's fine with me!

:banarasta

Sandman
6th January 2006, 12:55
Wellll....good morning Kev! ;)

kiltbill
6th January 2006, 12:59
Princess Bride Kev? The quote that is, not yourself!!! :roflblack

Have a good weekend...

Moved On / My Own Choice
6th January 2006, 13:12
Wellll....good morning Kev! ;)

GOOD MORNING!

Hope you have a great weekend too Impact!!!!!

K

Moved On / My Own Choice
6th January 2006, 13:12
Princess Bride Kev? The quote that is, not yourself!!! :roflblack

Have a good weekend...

:clap :clap :clap

Photo John
6th January 2006, 13:21
My jacket is kinda huge to accomodate layering underneath, and looks funny when used as an every day thing. It's the only cold weather gear I have, so yes-I wear it when not riding. It is funny that I have to roll the sleeves up so that my hands don't disappear. :D

Sandman
6th January 2006, 13:30
You too Kev.....I do hope you have a good weekend.

mavinwy
6th January 2006, 13:59
Oddly enough, I mostly use a leather jacket to cut the wind when I ride (Yeah, I know it has some other advantages too)....

So when it is cold and windy here in Wyoming.....Sure, I wear it off the bike.

When it is not so cold I have a light leather jacket that will cut the wind some, but not be so bulky.

Basically, form and function meet. I don't care that much about looking the look, just making it work......

Mav

djs
6th January 2006, 15:47
i will wear my leather jackets when not on the cycle.
i had 2 jackets years before i got the cycle.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/djs_151/pics/mmjacket.jpg (my black heavy mc jacket)
and a brown (same style but thinner).
last year got a thin black mc jacket (similar to the brown one) from the salvation army for less then $20 (i wear it with a denim vest over it)
and got a different style jacket (with removable liner and some venting) similar to this http://www.casporttouring.com/store/graphics/00000001/firstgear_scout_jkt.jpg

xena
6th January 2006, 16:27
Ya know, if we keep this up Xena or someone is gonna come by and tell us to back off.........
Kev

I already did do that and tried to be nice but apparently nobody was listening......Time to let it go....go get some work done. There's a new reality for ya.:roflblack

Moved On / My Own Choice
6th January 2006, 16:41
I already did do that and tried to be nice but apparently nobody was listening.

You did? ;) ya must have been too subtle for a dolt like me :laugh ;)

Time to let it go....go get some work done. There's a new reality for ya.:roflblack

Go get some "work?" done? Really? Who YOU or me?

Cause I don't know what you're talking about, but I write for a living, I hardly think that qualifies.

And besides, I finished a book a few days before Christmas and was promised my new research materials the week between Christamas and New Years. Guess what? They haven't arrived yet. So I'm, uh, doing my best to keep busy.

Hm, what time is it? Time to go home yet?

Kev

Swankster
6th January 2006, 17:25
Oh please! No No No, I'm-not-a-poser!
Swankster

smoke
6th January 2006, 18:12
I have a original Members only black leather cafe jacket that I were out to the most elite places but I never wear my HD jacket exept when I am riding, it has a big Harley Davidson logo on the back and I feel out of place wearing it for any other reason

So there are still members? :roflblack :roflblack :banana

thunderpaw
7th January 2006, 01:33

I can relate. :dohMe too!

Kim

xena
7th January 2006, 01:43
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/sucks12.jpg

Custom1200
7th January 2006, 09:01

Cause I don't know what you're talking about, but I write for a living, I hardly think that qualifies.

And besides, I finished a book a few days before Christmas and was promised my new research materials the week between Christamas and New Years. Guess what? They haven't arrived yet. So I'm, uh, doing my best to keep busy.

Kev

What a dickhead this guy is! I haven't posted much here, but I've been around for awhile and find this a great site. However, an asshole like this really can taint a site. He just doesn't know when to shut up. He's the type that thinks he is better than anyone else. Oooooooooo.....he's a writer, let us bow down to him. What a friggin prick! I'll bet he'll come back and say that he's not better than anyone else. Hey, I got news for you, if you're not better than anyone else, then quit acting like it. It is your "persona", your attitude, you "ooze" superiority. Why don't you get a clue and realize that. Guess what, ya ain't shit! Xena is a mod....and there should be respect for that. Your problem is, you don't give anyone any respect. I travel all over, and if by some chance I ever come across your ass in PA, then by all means you are more than welcome to express your feelings to me personally. If I ever see you, you will know it. Now, no one else here may speak up because they may be banned, but I will, cause I don't post a lot. So ban me if you will....this has just got to be done. I hope that in getting myself banned, the mods and Bert will take a look at this prick and the kind of aggravation that he causes. ASSSSSSSSSSSS HOLE!

Elvis has left the building....Hope all on the forum except Kev have a great day!

Moved On / My Own Choice
7th January 2006, 17:33
What a dickhead this guy is! I haven't posted much here, but I've been around for awhile and find this a great site. However, an asshole like this really can taint a site. He just doesn't know when to shut up. He's the type that thinks he is better than anyone else. Oooooooooo.....he's a writer, let us bow down to him. What a friggin prick! I'll bet he'll come back and say that he's not better than anyone else. Hey, I got news for you, if you're not better than anyone else, then quit acting like it. It is your "persona", your attitude, you "ooze" superiority. Why don't you get a clue and realize that. Guess what, ya ain't shit! Xena is a mod....and there should be respect for that. Your problem is, you don't give anyone any respect. I travel all over, and if by some chance I ever come across your ass in PA, then by all means you are more than welcome to express your feelings to me personally. If I ever see you, you will know it. Now, no one else here may speak up because they may be banned, but I will, cause I don't post a lot. So ban me if you will....this has just got to be done. I hope that in getting myself banned, the mods and Bert will take a look at this prick and the kind of aggravation that he causes. ASSSSSSSSSSSS HOLE!

Elvis has left the building....Hope all on the forum except Kev have a great day!

:roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack

Dayum that's some funny shit.

Ya know, I don't think I'm "better" than most people, but for you, I'll make an exception. ;)

And ya know what, I hope you have a great weekend even if you are an ass!

RIDE SAFE,

Kev

Moved On / My Own Choice
7th January 2006, 17:40

Kev

HEY XENA,

I was re-reading this cause our friend quoted it when he got all pissed off and I realized that it might be possible to read it with the wrong tone and be offended, so I thought I'd clarify, because, as you know from our correspondence, I have NO desire whatsoever to offend you.

So for the record, when I said I'm a little thick I was poking fun at myself NOT YOU.

and when I said about getting back to work, me or you, I seriously asking if your post meant "you were done paying attention to this crap cause you needed to get back to work" OR were you saying "hey Kev you dipshit, get back to work" and in case you meant the later, I was explaining that "work" is kinda a funny concept for me.

And for the record, I don't think that being a "writer" is "better" or "worse" than anything.

No hold on, I do think it's worse.

Yeah, I think that there are people who make significantly more contributions to society on a daily basis than I do. People like:

Cops, fireman, paramedics, doctors, nurses, military personal, teachers, heck I'd go so far to include postman and a myraid of other people whose work directly impacts our social structures.

To each of them, I'll say a public and humble THANKS!

Even if they wear their motorcycle jacket when they're not riding, or if they put too much chrome on their bikes, or if they like flames and skulls etc.

Ride safe,

Kev

GOTWA
7th January 2006, 17:45
Okay, this one is all done...:frownthre