PDA

View Full Version : newbie ironhead owner

Moustro
16th April 2008, 03:12
Howdy all-

just acquired a '75 IH bobber project -in progress.

Live in Metro Detroit and my 1st question is if i am wamnting to register the scooter with a year of manufacturer's plate; i have been told my plate will be a 1974 with a '75 sticker??? anyone here done this?

Q2: the bike came with the following progressive rear (lowering shocks): 412-4009. My fat ass bottoms it out EASY. so i put the stockers back on. Ayone has these progressive shocks and can they be adjusted to hold clydesdale's like me w/o bottoming out?

Q3: batteries batteries batteries in Metro Detroit? where!!!?? currently using a lawn tractor batt to fire up the bike

Q4: carb rebuild kits in Meto Det (other than at the stealerships?- they want $35 for the kit. ebay wants $13 shipped- but don't wanna wait)

Q5: front caliper fitting leaks. bled system (was dry) and don't want to tighten the fitting too much for fear of stripping it- any tips?

81sportster
16th April 2008, 03:22
Welcome to the forum. I don't know what to tell you, as far as your questions go, but I am sure somebody on here can point you in the right direction. This place is a real resource!

IronMick
16th April 2008, 03:51
Q5:
Remove fitting, clean both threads with wire brush, re-install with Permatex thread sealant from auto parts supplier/store, tighten "firm plus a little more"

... and welcome to the XLForum. Always good to see another IronHead hitting the road.

frogg_nutts
16th April 2008, 04:58
Q3
Battery's.. Gel..from the Stealership.
They don't leak..tons of cranking amps.Maybe Ya can find a Indie that has em? Good luck on the shocks,I had a wintertime g/f that bottom outed a pair..after trading up,smooth ride.

the cowboy way
16th April 2008, 14:13
1 I hope it came with a title

2 stick with the stock shocks

3 like frog nutts said get a battery from the stealership

4 find a indy that dont have a reputation of ripoff

5 go with what IRONMICK says

when buying tools get the good ones with a lifetime warenty

SpringerSam
16th April 2008, 17:15
Welcome to the forum also from Metro Detroit...What city are you from?

I purchased my battery from Murray's. They have a cross reference chart and the battery fits perfectly.

Sam

jharback
16th April 2008, 17:30
Welcome to the forum from sunny Italy.

First priority - get a service manual. Here's a link to get you started:

http://www.cyclemanual.com/HD/hd3.htm

madhatterxlch
16th April 2008, 20:04
Welcome from Nuevo Mexico. Kant help with ur Questions. But there are plenty o folks on here that do. Later

Moustro
17th April 2008, 01:06
Welcome to the forum also from Metro Detroit...What city are you from?

I purchased my battery from Murray's. They have a cross reference chart and the battery fits perfectly.

Sam

Thanks all for the replies.

I live in Farmington Hills. I am close to getting the bike on the road- do you have a Murray's p/n and or which Murray's did you get the battery from?

Yes, the bike came with a free and clear title. I adjusted the valvetrain over the weekend- ended up getting Champion plugs at Murrays YJ31s?? thanks to the info i found in this forum.
( i just bought a rebuild kit on eBay- $14 shipped from shotglassxx something)

ANyone with pointers on the year of manufacture plate quesion???

also another question for the experienced: I noticed the front suspension has some noise that appears to indicate the fork's worn out. How do i know if it is and/ or if it is beyond bushing repair/rebuild???

I put back the stock shocks and that solved my bottoming out prob. All i want to do is put some apes and maybe a different headlight (don't like the brow light) and ride it through the summer. Then my 'ratification' plans are on for when the weather turns in the fall/winter later this year....

IronMick
17th April 2008, 03:06
... ANyone with pointers on the year of manufacture plate quesion? ...

This probably won't help you but here in Ontario:
the vehicle must be 30 years old
You have to find an original license plate from the YOM [year of manufacture]
You send it in to the Dept of Transport with about $250.00
they check it out
if it is legal and not registered you get to use it
otherwise i think you get all of your money back.

I picked up a nice 1980 motorcycle license plate at a swap meet last year. Now i am just waiting for 2010.

SLS
17th April 2008, 06:08
Q3
Battery's.. Gel..from the Stealership.
They don't leak..tons of cranking amps.Maybe Ya can find a Indie that has em?

Agreed.

I abhor buying ANYTHING from the 'stealership'......but the H-D issue Gel batteries are an exception. They kick ass!....but expect to part with around $70 to get one.

And take Mick's advice on the thread sealer.....he knows what he's talking about here.

Welcome to the wacky world of Ironheads......you have found the best spot on the planet (HERE!) to begin your anguish........errr, I mean 'adventure'...LOL. :smoke

MDT
17th April 2008, 12:35
Yes, the bike came with a free and clear title. I adjusted the valvetrain over the weekend- ended up getting Champion plugs at Murrays YJ31s?? thanks to the info i found in this forum.

Hate to second guess, but on the 72XLCH that I work on I use Champion H8C just like my magneto sporty. I have also used Champion J12Y and they work just fine. Both of these plugs or their equivalents are available at Napa or other auto stores.
(I can't find YJ31)

76xlch
17th April 2008, 15:22
You can find all the info. you need on the plates at www.michigan.gov/sos. Type in "authentic plate" in the search box and click on the first link. Supposed to be only for going to or from shows, but I know a guy who has the same year tags on his bike and rides all over the place and has never had a problem yet. He said if he gets stopped, he'll just tell them that he's on his way to a show.lol. I'll be looking for one at the swap meet this Sunday in Birch Run and if you're looking for any parts, there'll also be a guy there selling lots of ironhead parts.

As for plugs in your '75, you can use NGK-B6L, Autolite-4316, Champion-H8C/H10C(hotter plug), Accel 166/168(hot), and Splitfire-SF21F. Autolite plugs are the easiest to find at any Advance Auto or Auto Zone.

stealthammer
17th April 2008, 17:43
Welcome to the XLForum from Las Vegas!!!

jagdprcp
17th April 2008, 17:51
Howdy all-

Welcome to the Forum and the world of Ironhead's!

Q2: the bike came with the following progressive rear (lowering shocks): 412-4009. My fat ass bottoms it out EASY. so i put the stockers back on. Ayone has these progressive shocks and can they be adjusted to hold clydesdale's like me w/o bottoming out?

Progressive Shocks are way better than stock! They can be adjusted easily enough. You probably just need to stiffen them up.

Q3: batteries batteries batteries in Metro Detroit? where!!!?? currently using a lawn tractor batt to fire up the bike

I use a HD AGM type battery from a 2001 Dyna on my '76. I did have to change the battery cables to be a little longer and turn the battery around to make it fit a little better.

idiggplants
17th April 2008, 19:41
i will trade knowledge for pictures!!!!

WE WANT PICS!!!!

i recommend asking the local questions in the regional forums on here.

SpringerSam
17th April 2008, 21:32
Moustro,

I live in NOVI Michigan, not far from you...I bought my battery at the Murray's in Walled Lake (around Pontiac Trail and Maple). If you take in a trade-in battery (scrap), you will get a credit.

You probably are dealing with Motor City Harley Davidson...I agree, they are very expensive. I imagine they have to pay for their big expansion.

I know the people pretty well in Brighton. They will do a search for me and I'll get NOS parts at the 70 prices.

If your ever in the area, we all stop at Stingers' (Wixom Road and Grand River) for bike night on Thursdays.

Sam

Moustro
24th June 2008, 02:00
Moustro,

I live in NOVI Michigan, not far from you...I bought my battery at the Murray's in Walled Lake (around Pontiac Trail and Maple). If you take in a trade-in battery (scrap), you will get a credit.

You probably are dealing with Motor City Harley Davidson...I agree, they are very expensive. I imagine they have to pay for their big expansion.

I know the people pretty well in Brighton. They will do a search for me and I'll get NOS parts at the 70 prices.

If your ever in the area, we all stop at Stingers' (Wixom Road and Grand River) for bike night on Thursdays.

Sam

Hi Sam- i finally got my bike legal and am thinking about riding there on Thursday- what time do you guys meet ?

Bob F
24th June 2008, 02:18
Hello from Pittsburgh and welcome to the forum.