PDA

View Full Version : Fatboy wheels on a sportster

hawkeye
15th January 2006, 15:16
I have paoted this in another section so apologies.

I have two Fatboy wheels that i want to fit to my Sportster. I Swapped the back one over but it bound up as i tightened the wheel spindle.

I am sure the spacer between the bearings is ok as the guy that sold them to me just had different wheels fitted at a dealers.

Has anyone done this type of swap ???

95xlcustom
17th January 2006, 21:14
i had the dealer put my fat boy solid on the back and they used stock spacers

Kozak
18th January 2006, 14:06
I wanted to do the same thing but have some questions. I want to put a FatBoy rear wheel on my 82 Ironhead. The wheel is 16x3 so it will fit. Will my sprocket and rotor bolt up to it? What about the axel? Any info would be appreciated.

Bill2
18th January 2006, 16:20
I don't have any info to help but i think it would look real cool to mount the fatboy wheels. I've seen the solid look on the back wheel but the front i think would also look killer on a sportster. Post some pics. when you get it done and good luck!

hawkeye
18th January 2006, 17:12
My bike is an 89 with chain drive model and i had problems with the bearings going tight. I know it's a spacer problem and will be taking measurements tomorrow.

I will keep all informed.

The bolts for the sprocket and rotor are not good for the fatboy wheels. The rotor ones are to small and the sprocket ones are to big. The sprocket ones i will have to get small bushings made.

The bit i want to see is when i fit the wide front end and solid wheel.

I have been toying with the idea of calling it a Fatster or Phatster, what your choice guys ???

hawkeye
21st January 2006, 18:12
I have fitted the rear wheel in no trouble at all.

My wheel came with a tyre fitted.

The rear wheel has two different sized bolts for the rotor and pulley. A Fatboys drive is on the left so you have to swap the wheel around for a Sportster, ie drive on the right. The pulley bolts are 7/16unc 1 1/2, the rotor bolts are 3/8 unc csk 1/1/2.

The distance between bearings in identical on both wheels so all spacers from the Sportster can be used.

Thats all there is to it. Hope this helps someone. If you want to know anything just email me.

The front wheel has yet to be fitted, i have a set of wide trees to fit but i am waiting for a front fender and light to arrive from the US

Bill2
21st January 2006, 18:34
I have fitted the rear wheel in no trouble at all.

My wheel came with a tyre fitted.

The rear wheel has two different sized bolts for the rotor and pulley. A Fatboys drive is on the left so you have to swap the wheel around for a Sportster, ie drive on the right. The pulley bolts are 7/16unc 1 1/2, the rotor bolts are 3/8 unc csk 1/1/2.

The distance between bearings in identical on both wheels so all spacers from the Sportster can be used.

Thats all there is to it. Hope this helps someone. If you want to know anything just email me.

The front wheel has yet to be fitted, i have a set of wide trees to fit but i am waiting for a front fender and light to arrive from the US
What year sportster did you do this with and what year fatboy rims?

hawkeye
22nd January 2006, 19:54
My bike is a 1989 Sportster, the Fatboys wheels i am not sure.

I think the bike may have been about 3/4 years old.

I would have thought all Fatboy wheels would be the same, i doubt they would want to make different wheels for different years. Not finacially a good idea for Mr.HD

The distance throught the wheel is the thing to look for, i did it with the spacers to make it easy and pushed the spindle through till it was flush on the other side, just put my thumb nail where it stopped and measures it with a tape.

xllent01
22nd January 2006, 20:07
The front wheel needs to be fitted to a FL front end to fit on a sportster,
isn't the narrow glide is too small to fit that massive wheel ?

hawkeye
22nd January 2006, 20:14
Yea, i have a wide set of tress to fit so no probs. Just itching to fit them but waiting on a front light.

dmh
22nd January 2006, 20:39
be causious in cross winds with these wheels ! especialy if your fitting to the front.

Gone
22nd January 2006, 22:48
I think someone has done that fat look to a Sportster years ago and they called it the Fatster. It was in a chopper or Harley magazine. But about 20 years ago I was at a local bike shop where someone just fooling around mounted tires and wheels from an Electraglide or something onto an old Sportster they had hanging around. I asked them about it and some old guys there were being smart butts and told me it was a Fat Sportster then another said it was a Piglet. But the guy who threw it together said it was a Fatster. They did it as a joke with no plan to really ride it but they had a few requests from some customers and as they say the rest is history.......

hawkeye
30th January 2006, 15:45
Rear wheel all fitted no probs, just turn it round and all the spacers, brakes and sprocket line up a treat.

It looks the nuts !!!

When i get the front one in i will post a photo

punkmxcn
30th January 2006, 16:49
what year sportster do you have?? i've been shopping around to buy a fatboy rear wheel but was wondering if it was just direct bolt on. thanks

serrow
14th November 2006, 09:59
stupid question, are the tires directional? since you're flipping it around and all. used tire and wheels are good and cheap and would be a nice thing to have if i wanted to see what this looked like and ride around a bit on.

hawkeye
14th November 2006, 19:03
Yea if you take the wheel and tire straight off a Fatboy you will need to remove the tire and change the rotation direction. Then when you fir it to your sportster it will be rotating in the right direction

dagsportster
15th November 2006, 01:41
Good luck and post pics as you go. I had toyed with the idea of making Fatster, but am going in a different direction now.