PDA

View Full Version : Half Helmets: ACC vs. NEXL

Chucky
16th January 2006, 13:42
Been thinking about a new half helmet. I've searched old threads, but would appreciate some current 2 cents. I have a Harley flat black half helmet with visor, but it is big and feels like it will blow off my head at speed and in wind.

I am considering the ACC Carbon fiber or the NEXL Carbon Kevlar, without visor. Any experience with these (size, fit, riding feel, etc.) Went to a show this weekend and J&P Cycles gave me coupons for 10% off and free shipping, that would help with the NEXL. Thanks.

jwbradbury
16th January 2006, 16:33
Yo Dude...

I've thought about it, but you're talking about a really subjective issue when it comes to the fit of gear like a helmet or boots. Those items are things I'd rather try on before I buy, not sure if I'd want to risk an online ordering for items like those...

I've heard good things about both of the ones you mentioned and I keep looking for another smaller one too. I have a HJC half-helmet with the detachable ear/neck cover for cooler weather. When it's warm here on the Left Coast I'm gonna need something a little lighter.

I'll watch the thread to see if others have any input on the two makes you're talking about.

Chucky
16th January 2006, 16:58
Thanks JWB. Yeah, I'm hoping to maybe find these in a local shop to try on. The J&P guy said it could be returned if fit was not good.

Hey, I didn't know you guys got "cooler" weather in So Cal. It is 18 degrees here on the right coast. No riding for me for a couple of months.

CntryFun
16th January 2006, 17:44
Those are some harsh temps Chucky! 60° today in NC. Anywho... I have seen a few NEXL dealers around my area, but none for ACC. I really want one of these helmets also, but haven't had a chance to actually stop in and test fit one. I'm almost avoiding it because money is short so I don't need the temptation.
Keep us posted on anything you find out, I'd really like to know.

Barndog
16th January 2006, 18:17
I have one of the Nexl helmets and I am very happy with the fit and quality of this helmet. At speeds above 65 it will try to lift off, but I think most half helmets have this problem.

MC

Reaper6
16th January 2006, 19:16
I don't have any experience with the NEXL, but have owned the ACC Composite for about a year and 1/2 and it is by far my favorite helmet ever. I ordered it online and the fit was perfect. Follow their sizing recommendations and you should be okay. Before I ordered the ACC helmet I called them with a question I had, and they were extremely helpful over the phone. I based my buying decision on the testimonials they have on their site, for whatever that's worth.

pquirk
16th January 2006, 19:19
I've got a NexL 1/2. It's not the carbon one, but I think the regular kevelar one is pretty much the same. I've had it about a year and I like it. It's really light and I have no problem with it trying to lift off even when approaching triple digit speeds. That issue probably depends upon your height and riding position though as some folks (like Barndog) have a different experience. I have no complaints, but as mentioned above, with a helmet ya don't know 'til you try it.

CapMorganXL
17th January 2006, 06:29
I have the NexL, and love it. It's the first half helmet I've tried on that actually fits my head properly. In fact, it fits so well that I can't wear any type of doorag or anything under it except the thinnest stretchy ones, as the fit is so close already. This makes it great though, as I've never had problems with wind lift, even at extreme speed. That is most often a result of an improperly fit helmet. My Nexl almost feels as if it seals down over my head, but is majorly comfortable and lightweight. I have an HJC "mushroom head" halfie, an HJC 3/4 with face shield, and a full face, but even in bad weather I still like my NexL best.

jwbradbury
17th January 2006, 07:16
Yo Dude...

It's amazing how cold our Left Coast weather can get. Sometimes it's down near 72... how can we survive weather like that? :p

But seriously, even here in the "inland valley" region of SoCAL, we'll be in the 20s overnight and have even had flurries when it gets rainy during the winters. For the most part, our biggest hassle is the cool weather mixed with our famous (infamous) Santa Ana winds which can get up to 50 or 60 mph.

Let me know which of the helmets you ultimately go with. Would like to find something to try. Later....

Chucky
13th February 2006, 02:55
Thanks for all the advice. I picked up a NEXL carbon fiber at the stealer for $175, minus 10% HOG Chapter discount. It is smaller than my mushroom head Harley half helmet, comfortable and snug fit. DOT and feels like it will protect the noggin a bit.

I also tried on an ACC carbon fiber at a local indy shop. It is DOT, but is smaller than the NEXL. It looks more like the traditional brain bucket. Picked it up for $175. Have not been able to ride with them (14" of snow today), but from what I can see they are both good looking, comfortable helmets. I think I am going to keep both and wear each depending on where I am riding. Hell, it's only money.

JWB, let me know if you see this, you asked for an update. If I don't hear from you, I'll try a pm.

Greywolf
15th February 2006, 17:32
Have a HJC half w. ear pieces that's ok, have an ACC German that's not DOT and been looking for a shop that carries the NXL to try on, will see if there is a vendor at the Easyriders V-Twinn Bike Tour this weekend that has helmets. Need something lighter and with less wind resistance to save the neck.

KY23
5th March 2006, 20:13
Hey guys...between the Nexl and ACC...which is smaller? Trying to get away from the mushroom head look as much as possible but still want a DOT helmet.

I've heard good things about both helmets. Which is made better and which looks better? Anyone that owns both?

csaintg
6th March 2006, 11:35
I am getting an ACC Non-DOT. My buddy has one. It is much smaller and lighter than my HD Halfy, and it is made much better. The quality is astounding. The only reason they are not DOT is because in the seventies you had to have at least an inch of padding to protect your noggin. They didn't have some of the great technology in plastics that we have now, and the DOT is taking their sweet ass time catching up. Just my 2 cents.

alexcue
7th March 2006, 22:07
Hey guys...between the Nexl and ACC...which is smaller? Trying to get away from the mushroom head look as much as possible but still want a DOT helmet.

I've heard good things about both helmets. Which is made better and which looks better? Anyone that owns both?

I just got the ACC helmet, and the finish is superb. The thing comes with three liners to help adjust it to your noggin. It's my first shorty, but I've tried on a bunch. I only found one that was more comfortable when fitting it on, but it wasn't a DOT.

It was kinda the Polo shape ones and i was worried that the lip at the front would cause it to lift too much. Having said that the ACC just looks and feels right on my head.

Greywolf
18th March 2006, 16:02
I am getting an ACC Non-DOT. My buddy has one. It is much smaller and lighter than my HD Halfy, and it is made much better. The quality is astounding. The only reason they are not DOT is because in the seventies you had to have at least an inch of padding to protect your noggin. They didn't have some of the great technology in plastics that we have now, and the DOT is taking their sweet ass time catching up. Just my 2 cents.
E-mailed ACC about the German helmet that is not DOT and the reason it's not certified is because it fails the impact test on penetration from objects.

csaintg
20th March 2006, 01:49
E-mailed ACC about the German helmet that is not DOT and the reason it's not certified is because it fails the impact test on penetration from objects.
Yes, I downloaded the specs on why it failed. It seems if you get hit in the head at 6 g's underwater, your helmet might get penetrated, and you might die.

I was a non-helmet advocate for years. The reason I wear one now, is because I don't like getting hit in the head with little rocks at 75 MPH.

I put 600 miles on my ACC helmet this weekend, and it is absolutely the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned. It is so light, it is like being in a convertable with the top down. I feel like I have a whole new range of perephial vision, because there is nothing keeping me from moving my head around to have a look.

And, my head did not itch the entire trip!

BigB
21st March 2006, 19:00
I have had my ACC extended half non dot for about a week now. It is in incredible piece. The quality is superb and the fit and finish is the best I have seen. It literally feels like I am not wearing a helmet at all. I may order the dot version as well to compare.