PDA

View Full Version : Tyre upgrade recommendations

petev
16th January 2006, 16:15
I am "downgrading???" my 05 Custom to Roadster specs with 13.5" rear shocks and a 19" twin disc front wheel - just to get a bit more comfort , cornering and stopping capability. As I need a new front tyre anyway I figure I might as well go for an upgrade on my stock Dunlops as a matching pair. My question is twofold:- what is good choice for dry weather grip ( I live on a dessert isand) and will another make of 150 rear be sure fit in the swing arm (there is sooo little clearance). Mileage is not really an issue as I only ride in the winter ( too damn hot in summer!).

RedRider
16th January 2006, 16:21
If you are looking for dry weather traction, and are not concerned with tire mileage, I would think that a set of Avon Venoms would work well for you.

The two main knocks against them are wet weather traction and short life, but these don't seem to be issues for you.

Their dry traction is supposed to be the best out there.

Good luck.

xl1200r
16th January 2006, 22:37
I'd have to vote for avon venoms as well, though Dunlop does make a pretty decent sport tire (the GT501) which has sizes for your bike. As far as other brands 150's fitting, the stock Dunlop actually measures 156mm wide, so most 160's will actually fit as well.

petev
18th January 2006, 15:12
Thanks for info especially about the 160. I just checked out the clearances again and it looks like ony the lower best guard is close - and I guess that can come off with out any real concern!

dave
18th January 2006, 21:18
Thanks for info especially about the 160. I just checked out the clearances again and it looks like ony the lower best guard is close - and I guess that can come off with out any real concern!

I replaced my stock 150mm Dunlop with a 160mm Metzler 880. I too was concerned about whether it would fit - the clearance with the stock 150mm seemed *so small*. But it fit perfectly. I have the same clearance with the 160 as I had with the 150!