PDA

View Full Version : HD Brake Line ?

smoke
17th January 2006, 13:28
My mini apes came in from Zanotti's last night, so I go out and put them on to get my measurements for cables and such. I then come inside and look on-line and in the HD catalog for cables. Why does harley sell + sizes in throttle sets and clutch cables, but nothing in brake lines? Why would they sell everything you need to extend the everything, except this? Am I missing something? If you've added different bars on an 04-06, what vendor and brand cable did you use?

pres41
17th January 2006, 13:51
MoCo does not sell stock type brake lines in longer lengths, but they do sell steel braided in different lengths, but hang on to your wallet expensive as hell.

You can buy after market lines cheaper that will do the job and look just as nice, maybe even better.

miller
17th January 2006, 13:59
It's up to you, but I'd look into ordering all your cables from someone other than HD and probably save yourself a little coin. I've dealt with J&P cycles' staff before, and the guys that answer their tech questions are pretty sharp- they'd be able to hook you up.
Eric

smoke
17th January 2006, 15:13
Yeah, I know I could've saved some money, but I thought I was on the easy track to getting what I needed until I hit the brake line snafu.

promiscuousman
17th January 2006, 17:09
I had to get some shorter brake line when I put my drags on, I got it from jireh cycles.
http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=14999&page=2
This is the thread where I have the part numbers, and pictures of it after I installed it.

gronk62
18th January 2006, 10:45
When I fitted my mini apes I needed to get longer cables and brake hose.

The brake hose was easy. I had a local brake shop make me one. The rubbermount Sporties use metric banjo fittings.

There's not much available Down Under as far as cables go so Barry1967 (who lives in Rhode Island) ordered some braided Barnett cables and shipped 'em over to me. Good quality and a great price.

midnitewolf
18th January 2006, 11:32
I went with Barnett cables they are high quailty but
pricey ( about $70.00 per cable )
as for the brake line you can buy steel braided line and fittings and make your own.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/4236/resizedmotorcycle0027bv.jpg

66impala
23rd January 2006, 04:29
I just went thru same problem doing the mini apes, I bought the plus 6inch cables from harley. I wanted to keep the stock look of a hard brake line. I ended up buying a stock heritage softail line on ebay for 8.00 and it bolted right up. Make sure when you go to buy a stock line off of another style bike that it has small banjos on both ends. Im doing my friends softail and it has large banjo at master cylinder and small at caliber.