PDA

View Full Version : Coil wiring question

roadinspector
20th January 2006, 00:01
The bike is an 88 sportster. Climer's manual shows the coil wiring as 2 white to one side and a blue and pink to the other. Wired this way there is no spark. But if I hook the pink to the same side as the 2 white I do have spark. Waz up wid dat????

Moved On
20th January 2006, 02:14
I have a '91 HD manual and the wiring diagram there pretty much matches what your Clymer manual says. Two whites to one side and two pinks to the other side. One white goes to the electronica and the other goes to the throttle control switches. One pink goes to the electronics module and the other goes to the tach.

Do you have a tach? If it has a problem it may be interfering with the pulses coming from the ignition module.

Does the bike run with the pink wire removed? Does it run wired properly with the tach removed?

Gazza

roadinspector
20th January 2006, 03:39
One white goes to the module and the other goes to the kill switch. Blue goes to the module and the pink does goes to the tach. I will play with your suggestions tomorrow morning. Thanks!

Something else. Never totally trust a new part. My old Screaming Eagle coil was going out so I bought a new Accel Super Coil. I got it on Sunday week ago and after trying to wear out my multimeter for 5 hours trying to find out why I did not have any spark I finally checked across the primary terminals and found out I had a NEW dead coil right out of the box. I got my 2nd replacement coil in today and it does what it is supposed to.

Roadinspector

roadinspector
21st January 2006, 17:38
Every things works fine as stated. Along with the white that goes to the kill switch wire is a red wire which I yet to have been able to find where it goes. I was assuming it went to the tach but it does not. The Tach wire is a single wire from the front.The red or pink wire that is in the pair that goes to the kill switch is the culprit in question.

cantolina
21st January 2006, 17:51
The bike is an 88 sportster. Climer's manual shows the coil wiring as 2 white to one side and a blue and pink to the other. Wired this way there is no spark. But if I hook the pink to the same side as the 2 white I do have spark. Waz up wid dat????

Have you done resistance checks on the primary and secondary sections?

roadinspector
28th January 2006, 02:19
Yep. I have tested and the coil functions properly. The bike runs fine as long as I don't have the red/pink wire that is in the pair that goes to the kill switch connected with the coil (red) and the blue that goes to the module. I connect it to the side with the 2 whites and everything is a go, no problem.

kd460
12th April 2006, 03:04
Kill switch or wiring to the switch has a short. KD