PDA

View Full Version : Buy Your Firearms and Ammo Now

StarGateOps
26th April 2008, 16:17
I have been watching the prices of everything go up and up. Ammo has gone up here by an average of about 130% in the past 18 Months. California is adopting laws that will require each new firearm to imprint a serial number on the cases that are fired in it. I don't know that it much matters who gets elected later in the year, I believe all will support new Firearm Restrictions. One will keep us fighting Terrorism in the Middle East, The others will have us soon fighting for our existance here.

So if you procrastinate a purchase now, that Opportunity may be gone forever later.
SGO

bearsfan
26th April 2008, 17:32
Gun manufacturers love it when Democrats are elected into office - firearms sales go through the roof because everyone buys them up for fear they're going to get outlawed :)

StarGateOps
28th April 2008, 01:21
We Lost a lot of Rights During the Clinton Ban Years. Surely the Demo's will bring that back, and more. Even McCain is likely to sign Such a ban if it crosses his desk...... In any case,,,,,, nothing is getting any cheaper in the near future.
SGO

Screwdriver
28th April 2008, 02:28
I have been watching the prices of everything go up and up. Ammo has gone up here by an average of about 130% in the past 18 Months. California is adopting laws that will require each new firearm to imprint a serial number on the cases that are fired in it. I don't know that it much matters who gets elected later in the year, I believe all will support new Firearm Restrictions. One will keep us fighting Terrorism in the Middle East, The others will have us soon fighting for our existance here.

So if you procrastinate a purchase now, that Opportunity may be gone forever later.
SGO

That is why I pick up my cases......:banadanc:banana:banadanc

MusclePump
2nd May 2008, 07:06
ammo has definitely gotten ridiculous. war needs to end before anything goes back down.

Homarr
2nd May 2008, 19:32
ammo has definitely gotten ridiculous...

I just bought a .380. I'm an idiot.

hybriDatsun350
18th May 2008, 20:06
Gun manufacturers love it when Democrats are elected into office - firearms sales go through the roof because everyone buys them up for fear they're going to get outlawed :)

Better safe than sorry! :smoke

steveb71
22nd May 2008, 16:37
I'm sitting on 24lbs or so of various commercial and surplus powders, 600-900lb of wheel weights for cast bullets. I'm good to go with 45ACP and 357Mag brass but need more 44Special brass for that custom Ruger Anniversary model flatop I'm waiting on. The price of commercial fodder is through the roof with handloading components not far behind. It is still cheaper to handload though.

bigjnsa
22nd May 2008, 16:41
I haven't bought ammo in awhile. What's the going price for .45ACP now?

steveb71
9th June 2008, 19:07
I haven't bought ammo in awhile. What's the going price for .45ACP now?

Just under $20.00 at the local wally world. Thats for Remington 230 grain hardball.

raysheen
9th June 2008, 20:03
and 29 for 100 rounds of winchester white box

Mr Jimi
9th June 2008, 20:14
How come you haven't heard about the 2 year shelf life on powders and primers yet? or did I miss that thread :doh
becareful :shhhh
:tour

Weo
10th June 2008, 01:16
How come you haven't heard about the 2 year shelf life on powders and primers yet? or did I miss that thread :doh

I haven't kept up with firearms news, but haven't heard of any confirmed reduced shelf life primers being put on the shelves. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have ammo that's been sitting around for 10 years that still fires fine.

Weo
10th June 2008, 01:36
Maybe I shouldn't bury this idea in this thread, but I think there's an idea that isn't advertised about citizens having the right to bear arms... research and development and financials. Lets say all the American gun manufacturers suddenly could no longer sell to civilians (non-LEO's). Wouldn't this significantly reduce the profit, and similarly limit creation of new designs? The military can choose from new ideas and designs that they haven't payed to develop. How much would the military add to R&D without this private consumer base? How about academic inbreeding? Research in the scientific community that has a failed hypothesis is considered good, and sometimes more common. Limiting new design directions could lead to a higher failure:success ratio, i.e. American military turning down jet research in favor of prop planes in WWII.

What percentage of our firearms are sold to other countries (for military or law enforcement). Wouldn't a stagnant design limit our competiveness and reduce our exports and foreign cash coming in?

Lastly, how many people will be layed off if we banned firearms? We have firearms manufacturers, ammunition suppliers, firearms shops, ranges, gunsmiths, aftermarket accessory designers and suppliers, etc.

steveb71
10th June 2008, 02:47

Hi Mr Jimi, this is the first I have heard of such. Hell, all that corroisive(?) stuff from the 50's and Korea, etc,, still goes bang. If powder, primers, and ammo are stored properly it will last for many many years. If this is the case with new components it is news to me (although I wouldnt be suprised:(). I have surplus powder WC820 (Accurate Arms #9 equivelent( my spelling sucks sorry) I have had for several years and it has has not changed color or odor a bit and still goes boom. Anyone else heard of this?

steveb71
10th June 2008, 03:03
Speaking of surplus powder, you can get surplus powder through Jeff Bartlett for a little over $10.00 a pound ($80.00 for an 8lb jug shipped to your door and can get up to 48 lbs on one $20.00 hazmat fee. I use the WC820 (AA#9 equiv) and use it for the 357Mag and 44Mag with good results. That and I cast my own bullets and that cost goes way down compared to high priced factory ammo.

http://gibrass.com/

All powders are either new (never loaded) or pulldown (recovered from pulldown ammo).
Surplus powders can vary greatly in burning rate from lot to lot.
Always begin with starting loads and work from there.
HAZ MAT fee of $20.00 added to all orders.
Can ship up to 6 jugs on one HAZ MAT fee.
ID required for purchase
http://gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

raysheen
10th June 2008, 17:33
AA#7 equivalent is available at hitech for $56 for 8 lbs. It's pulldown powder from 9mm nato. as for shelf life...heck surplus stuff from the 40s is still good usually it's the primers that degrade first and modern non-corrosive primers are lasting 50+ years...corrosive ones like the soviets used have an expected shelf live of 100+ years. :D

StarGateOps
10th June 2008, 19:05
I went out to make my rounds of the local gun stores today. People are really buying AR's like crazy. One Shop sold everything they had in stock and everything they could put their hands on. They told me there are no Colt AR's to be had. They asked me if I wanted to put some of mine on consignment. I forsee prices going even higher so I will Hold for now.
Decided to go look at Brownell's and Midway for parts to build with. Out of Stock or Backordered on most major components.
All I see, is no matter the reason Prices of popular Firearms will go much higher because of demand. And Ammo will go even higher than it is now.
Good Luck, I'm very happy I have all I have.
SGO

Mr Jimi
10th June 2008, 19:15
I haven't kept up with firearms news, but haven't heard of any confirmed reduced shelf life primers being put on the shelves. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have ammo that's been sitting around for 10 years that still fires fine.

Thats just what I'm saying, the older stuff will work just fine, It's the new stuff that won't .
They are stepping on our toes real good on this crap
and they won't tell you/us about this..
:(

raysheen
11th June 2008, 00:15
I went out to make my rounds of the local gun stores today. People are really buying AR's like crazy. One Shop sold everything they had in stock and everything they could put their hands on. They told me there are no Colt AR's to be had. They asked me if I wanted to put some of mine on consignment. I forsee prices going even higher so I will Hold for now.
Decided to go look at Brownell's and Midway for parts to build with. Out of Stock or Backordered on most major components.
All I see, is no matter the reason Prices of popular Firearms will go much higher because of demand. And Ammo will go even higher than it is now.
Good Luck, I'm very happy I have all I have.
SGO
well there is always the idea of stocking up on stripped lowers. :D It is the only "controlled" part after all. AIM Surplus has Superior Arms for $79, DoubleStar for $99 and CMMG for $113. They are in stock of all of them. If you are strictly hedging against Assault Weapons Ban Part II then this is certainly your best bet money wise...all of the recent proposed legislation has included a grandfather clause that was similar to the last ban and the lower is the part that counts.

StarGateOps
11th June 2008, 23:17
Been thinking about ordering another Dozen Anyway.:doh
Thanx raysheen,
SGO

Crash03
12th June 2008, 02:22
If anyone's interested, I have about 15 boxes of 40s&w ammo I wouldn't mind selling...

raysheen
12th June 2008, 20:07
Been thinking about ordering another Dozen Anyway.:doh
Thanx raysheen,
SGO
For what it's worth, I picked up a few lowers from Spikes Tactical and they have been really nice. Good quality and they have a low shelf in the event you have a RDIAS.:D

StarGateOps
13th June 2008, 15:18
I have 2 Rifles and a Pistol Built with Spikes Lowers. They are Nice... Last time I saw Spike at a show, he was the only dealer there who had the foresight to order large quantities. Everyone else had run out.
SGO