PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for New Models

Simon
28th April 2008, 18:40
I was intrigued by the news item about the three-wheeler patent HD just applied for. A possible new Trihawk around the bend? This might be very cool.

Also, I recall a time when HD sold motor scooters and smaller bikes: The Topper, the Pacer, the Sprint.... Given the huge surge in sales of import motor scooters because of gas prices, the Motor Company might be missing a bet by not offering some sort of scooter or small bike (smaller in displacement than a Blast) for economy-minded riders. Many Harley riders are buying/considering small displacement imports as second rides because of gas prices. I would buy a new version of a Harley Topper or a Pacer. How about it?

NoBoZoS
29th April 2008, 04:58
ITs only natural.....seeing how they are using a Rotax (Bombardier) engine in the new 1150R Buells....Harley will have there own version of the SPYDER.

Simon
3rd May 2008, 01:13
I've now seen engineering drawings of the peroposed three wheeler from the patent application on the internet. The drawings look interesting in that this is not, apparently, going to be a copy of the Can Am trike, which looks rather like a three wheeled crotch rocket. This bike looks like a standard Dyna, only with a completely new front end inserted into the fork stem, two front wheels, spaced rather widely apart, with independent, hydraulic suspension. It preserves the appearance of a Harley from the front end back, but looks a bit like a Lotus Super 7 front end without bodywork. It could be the ultimate, all weather ride. I hope they build it, and I hope they make it affordable.

the cowboy way
3rd May 2008, 01:46
have any of yall brothers seen a V-Rod Destroyer
{ its a factory dragbike }
How about the motor co building a XL based dragbike
oh yeah :smoke

Brad
3rd May 2008, 01:50
441 or 600 cc thumper - dual purpose. (1/2 of an 883 or 1200). I'd buy it!:banana

Gone
3rd May 2008, 05:57
have any of yall brothers seen a V-Rod Destroyer
{ its a factory dragbike }
How about the motor co building a XL based dragbike
oh yeah :smoke

The VRod Destroyer is pretty impressive. Looks like a gorgeous stripper with a straightrazor tucked in her g-string!

ReddTigger
3rd May 2008, 06:05
I'd like to see some Sub 600cc Dirt Bikes from the MoCo. Dirt or Dual Purpose.

How about bringing back the FXR ???

Gone
3rd May 2008, 06:08
Honestly, I'd like to see them build a diesel motorcycle, that would be compatible with the biodiesel fuel. And not ugly. All of the diesel bikes I've seen online are butt ugly.

phmann
3rd May 2008, 06:16
It would be nice to see harley build something like a diesel bike, or something that would be one of the first in production of some kind of forward moving technology.

myndset
3rd May 2008, 07:26
441 or 600 cc thumper - dual purpose. (1/2 of an 883 or 1200). I'd buy it!:banana

Yeaha, kinda like a 441 Victor

Gone
4th May 2008, 19:37
I'd also like to see the MoCo build an affordable and easily mounted/detatched sidecar specifically for Sportsters. I'm thinking that I could safely extend my riding season to 11 months instead of 9. Stick a knobby tire on the back, and I could ride back and forth to work in all but real heavy snow.

NoBoZoS
4th May 2008, 21:57
I'd also like to see the MoCo build an affordable and easily mounted/detatched sidecar specifically for Sportsters. I'm thinking that I could safely extend my riding season to 11 months instead of 9. Stick a knobby tire on the back, and I could ride back and forth to work in all but real heavy snow.

I think they call those URALs....:laugh

NoBoZoS
4th May 2008, 22:00
I've now seen engineering drawings of the peroposed three wheeler from the patent application on the internet. The drawings look interesting in that this is not, apparently, going to be a copy of the Can Am trike, which looks rather like a three wheeled crotch rocket. This bike looks like a standard Dyna, only with a completely new front end inserted into the fork stem, two front wheels, spaced rather widely apart, with independent, hydraulic suspension. It preserves the appearance of a Harley from the front end back, but looks a bit like a Lotus Super 7 front end without bodywork. It could be the ultimate, all weather ride. I hope they build it, and I hope they make it affordable.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/06/01/harley-davidson-leaning-trike-patent-application/

Gone
5th May 2008, 01:04
I think they call those URALs....:laugh

No sport, those are more of a sad shadow of a BMW airhead. I'm not talking about a bike redesign, I want a Sportster-compatible sidecar that wont screw up my front end, or require changeover to leading link front suspension, for riding in winter. ie: I want to ride my bike all year in a climate that is not conducive to doing so.

Urals are reverse engineered Russian junk. I don't really need that in my garage. Jeebus, the demon-possessed weed whacker is headache enough.......

Simon
6th May 2008, 00:59
re: sporty sidecar: I've ridden sidecars and won't again. I find that it takes away (for me, at least) most of the joy of riding a motorcycle. To set one up properly pretty much requires doing it as a fulltime sidecar rig, meaning a steering damper, modified front suspension assembly, toeing-in the bike, etc. And then, unless there is power to the third wheel, which would be prohibitively expensive, there are still the handling problems to deal with.

I would much prefer seeing a small displacement model (or models) and some of the suggestions, such as a dirt bike or a Harley version of a BSA 441 Victor sound like winners to me. A number of people have made Sportsters into dirt bikes, and while they are too heavy to be true dirt bikes, they make for very interesting and very capable dual purpose adventure tourers, ala BMW GS series. I think it would be fun to see something like that on a much smaller (lighter) scale, which would not only make it more dirt-worthy, but would also allow it to handle very well on the street.

NoBoZoS
8th May 2008, 07:31
No sport, those are more of a sad shadow of a BMW airhead. I'm not talking about a bike redesign, I want a Sportster-compatible sidecar that wont screw up my front end, or require changeover to leading link front suspension, for riding in winter. ie: I want to ride my bike all year in a climate that is not conducive to doing so.

Urals are reverse engineered Russian junk. I don't really need that in my garage. Jeebus, the demon-possessed weed whacker is headache enough.......

Obviously you have no experience with regards to the URALs...They are 2 wheel drive, engageable drive shaft, reverse gear and go through practically any conditions all year long. The URALS were built from the BMW specs, as they were during WWII, and although they are antiquated they are a blast to drive.....don't knock it before you try it...

roadking79
8th May 2008, 15:32
patent HD just applied for.

Is it just me or is this old news? I remember seeing this like 1 or 2 years ago.

If it's the 1st time this is being posted on XLFORUM, thanks for posting... but I think that H-D applied for this patent a while ago.

83XLX
8th May 2008, 15:37
HD needs to put the Blast engine in a Sportster-looking package and call it a Sprint, and price it reasonable. I bet they's sell a million of 'em.

Gone
8th May 2008, 16:57
Obviously you have no experience with regards to the URALs...They are 2 wheel drive, engageable drive shaft, reverse gear and go through practically any conditions all year long. The URALS were built from the BMW specs, as they were during WWII, and although they are antiquated they are a blast to drive.....don't knock it before you try it...

Nope, I don't own one. But I know 2 people that do. They are both notorious for breaking down on rides, and I don't think either one of them is older than a 2005.

So, yeah I do have a little experience with Urals, and am not impressed. Why buy a BMW knockoff anyway? I'd just as soon buy the airhead BMW, I know the quality and dependability is there.

SoCal-Cruisin
8th May 2008, 17:04
Bring back the Snowmobiles!!!

http://www.snoriderswest.com/oldsled/sleds/harley_snowmobile.htm

KaotikEvo
8th May 2008, 17:39
I like the whole sub 600 d/p concept, i'd like to see some sort of rotax 400.
I think a smaller model 500-650ish street bike should be available for a true "beginner bike". My wife has mentioned this on more than one occasion when comparing the weight of her hugger compared to the suzuki savage she started with(and she thought the savage was heavy compared to the 250 whatever bikes they used in her msf class.)

Bozinski
8th May 2008, 17:57
If I had to personally come up with a new bike design, I'd throw in the towel and just tell H-D to bring the XR1200 to the States. It pretty much represents what I'd like to buy in a future Harley. Also, I'd like to see them do something more with the V-Rod engine...maybe put it in a sport-touring chassis with detachable integrated hard bags plus a half fairing reminiscent of the Dyna T-Sport, only V-Roddier. Shoot, I'd even like to see them siamese two V-Rod mills into a 2500cc V-4. I do so love the sound of V-4s!

Simon
9th May 2008, 01:25
The suggestion for the thread wasn't so much about new models as it was for new models of a lightweight, smaller displacement variety, such as the old Sprint and Pacer models of yore. The Blast is somewhat of a step in this direction, but it's still a Buell, not a Harley per se, and lacks the design and the purpose of the older models mentioned. The Pacer, in particular, was quite a nice looking bike.

Bozinski
9th May 2008, 02:24
The suggestion for the thread wasn't so much about new models as it was for new models of a lightweight, smaller displacement variety, such as the old Sprint and Pacer models of yore. The Blast is somewhat of a step in this direction, but it's still a Buell, not a Harley per se, and lacks the design and the purpose of the older models mentioned. The Pacer, in particular, was quite a nice looking bike.

This wasn't exactly clear since you opened the question with an inquiry about a BT-based trike. But, if your focus is indeed on smaller, lighter bikes, I'd really liked to see Harley come up with a modern interpretation of the MT500 military bike. Give me a Hog with some adventure-touring pretense so I can feel more comfortable about bombing around all the gravel roads or the pot-hole riddled paved roads covered in horse poop here in my area.

Gone
9th May 2008, 04:33
A Paris/Dakar type bike built off the old 750 Sportster motor would be cool.

HrlyRdr20
12th May 2008, 05:12
i recently saw an XL hill climber on ebay for sale...if anyones interested i'll fetch it

Bozinski
14th May 2008, 18:02
Also, I'd like to see them do something more with the V-Rod engine...maybe put it in a sport-touring chassis with detachable integrated hard bags plus a half fairing reminiscent of the Dyna T-Sport, only V-Roddier. Shoot, I'd even like to see them siamese two V-Rod mills into a 2500cc V-4. I do so love the sound of V-4s!

Serendipity is an odd thing. I wrote that previous post before my new issue of Hog Tales came in the mail. Lo and behold, at the back of the issue was the very bike I was describing there, and it turns out the MoCo already designed it, built prototypes and then never pursued it. It was the Nova line of water-cooled, Porsche-designed, modular-engined bikes that might have been offered in V-twin, V-4 and V-6 configurations. The thing that surprised me most was that the technology and design would have been cutting edge anytime from the mid-Eighties through the middle to late Nineties, with some elements really being on par with the modern V-Rods, yet all this was conceived in the late seventies, prototypes developed around '81, and the whole program basically dead by '84.

The photo of a Nova sport-tourer in Hog Tales is almost exactly the bike I had in mind when pondering such a chassis powered by a V-Rod mill. Here is a website which also has a good description of the Nova program which includes pics of a prototype that easily would have been a worthy precursor to the Yamaha V-Max and Honda V series Magna musclebikes.

http://www.bikerenews.com/AntiqueBikes/CodeNameNova.htm

furry spider
14th May 2008, 18:43
Whilst choosing my current bike, I would have liked a Sportster Chopper to have been available, sort of a smaller softail, with the same frame design, allowing for a much lower riding position.

I really cant understand why they haven't done it yet. Probably because of its Hybrid status I guess....

Simon
16th May 2008, 18:48
A softtail Sporty sounds like an interesting idea, but then I suspect you would lose some of the handling advantage of the Sporty. Personally, I would love to see the area around the oil tank and battery redesigned, more along Dyna lines perhaps, so we could get rid of the cheesy sidepanel or else possibly get a look similar to Sporty rigids that some people build, with a round oil tank and battery case. That would really clean up the look of the bike. And maybe doing it in a 500 or 650 version, for better mileage, better handling (lighter) and cheaper insurance, too.

silver ghost
16th May 2008, 19:29
I would be happy if they just took the standard 883 and put decent suspension parts on it (how much more would it cost to replace the cheapo showa parts with progressives), put dual front brakes on all the models, and give it a wider gear ratio, lower first gear and higher fifth gear, so that your not always reaching for another gear (or just go with a six speed). Seems the MoCo is more interested in paint schemes than in improving performance.

gtrman
25th June 2008, 21:16
Bring back the XLCR :banana

josephthreedogs
25th June 2008, 22:02
I would like to see a full on sport touring bike that could compete with the likes of the Yamah FJR, Kawasaki C-14 and Honda ST1300. It could be powered by any of unit engines such as the XL, VRSC, or Buell. Put a full fairing and hard bags on it with an option list a yard long and I will buy one.

Moved On / My Own Choice
26th June 2008, 05:32
I would like to see a full on sport touring bike that could compete with the likes of the Yamah FJR, Kawasaki C-14 and Honda ST1300. It could be powered by any of unit engines such as the XL, VRSC, or Buell. Put a full fairing and hard bags on it with an option list a yard long and I will buy one.

You mean like that new lower sport touring version of the Buellysses but with a fairing? :wonderlan
Bring back the XLCR :banana

Hell Yeah!

josephthreedogs
26th June 2008, 15:48
You mean like that new lower sport touring version of the Buellysses but with a fairing? :wonderlan

Hell Yeah!

That would be close, a full integrated fairing and bags, much more like the old S3T and S2T. I have a new XB12XT and it still feels like a dirt bike.

Moved On / My Own Choice
26th June 2008, 15:50
That would be close, a full integrated fairing and bags, much more like the old S3T and S2T. I have a new XB12XT and it still feels like a dirt bike.

I loved the S2T/S3T :)

sycle1
27th June 2008, 07:09
Stick some bags on a Dyna and youv'e got it.