PDA

View Full Version : Can a Sportster tour??

superscythe
24th January 2006, 19:06
This is the group I have been looking for. Can a Sporty comfortably carry two people, both being 5'10, with a combined weight of 350lbs. for a distance of 100-200 miles? I really want a Sporty, but my wife doesn't think one can be comfortable. She has only sat on one in the showroom with me. What do you all think?

Shark Doctor
24th January 2006, 19:14
Absolutely! The 1200R is an example of a Sportster that was designed along those lines. With saddlebags, a windshield, a sissy bar, a comfy two-up seat, and good road pegs, huge distances are possible. My wife and I displace 350 lb and have ridden 300 miles in a day with no real discomfort and no real challenge to the machine.

There may be wider, more stable motorcycles for long endurance hauls, but the Sporty is not a limiting factor for over-the-road jaunts!

dmraco
24th January 2006, 19:16
yes. You will need a better seat than the stock Harley. Wifey may be a little cramped.
If you will be doing mostly touring...(>30% of the time)look at the softails or touring bikes. You will be much happier

doc
24th January 2006, 19:25
You can definitely tour on a sportster. Get a comfy seat and a sissy bar and away you go. A windshield helps out too. Me and my SO regularly do 100-200 mile days.

trollingforwalleye
24th January 2006, 19:31
Would you have to upgrade the shocks?

doc
24th January 2006, 19:33

I haven't upgraded my shocks yet, but I think that it would be very beneficial as far as handling and ride comfort. I plan on doing it, but it's gonna have to wait until I after I do the 1200 conversion.

AZFlyingDiver
24th January 2006, 19:43
Definitely. 200+ miles days, 2-up, no problem (for me anyway).
Recipe I have (keys for touring)?
Sundowner seat (HUGE difference over stock) and sissybar/backrest
Quick-detach windshield
Bags and luggage rack (for those overnight stays)
Progressive shocks and fork springs

Comfy is possible!!

KY23
24th January 2006, 20:45
I'm planning an Iron Butt from Louisville, KY to Denver, CO this spring. 1,000 miles in under 24 hours.

Deimus
24th January 2006, 22:37
I bought an '05 XL1200c so I cannot speak for the 1200r models; however, even for solo riding on the 1200c the fork springs are not adequate. They are mushy and bottom out way too easily. Good news is the fix is fairly simple. Just replace them with Progressive fork springs. I also used Bardahl 15wt fork oil with the replacement. The forks respond very nicely now. Total cost under $100.

As to the rear shocks, my opinion is this would be secondary to improving the forks. I actually replaced my rear shocks using Progressive 412s (12 inch heavy duty) before I upgraded the forks. Since I had my stock shocks set to max preload, I would say the benefit was a better ride. My appreciation for my bike improved the most from the fork spring and oil replacement. I'm completely satisfied with the suspension now.

alleydude
24th January 2006, 22:40
If the wife and I can do 300+ miles 2-up on her 883, then 2-up on a 1200 would be a piece of cake. Get a better seat.

Shark Doctor
24th January 2006, 22:44
My PERSONAL opinion - stress "personal" - is that the stock shocks are awful under any circumstances. I upgraded to Progessive 418's because of constant bottoming-out and there are numerous threads on the Forum that speak to the same problem, a problem for solo riding as well as two-up.

There are, however, many who speak highly of the stocks... The 1200R has only a 3-position adjustment and I personally find it to be wholly inadequate.

indyrednek
24th January 2006, 23:40
With the stock seat my Gf and I went over 1200 miles in 6 days. Some were long days others were only 50-75 miles.
We do alot better with the Sundowner seat.
No shock upgrades.
Total weight approx. 450 lbs
Us and the bags full.
By the way get a tall or medium sissy bar for her.
I have pics in gallery.

superscythe
25th January 2006, 02:10
Do you find the 883 powerful enough for the both of you or do you wish you had gone with a 1200? Is that Bassani exhaust loud? I love the looks of it, but I don't like REALLY loud exhaust.

alleydude
25th January 2006, 02:15
Do you find the 883 powerful enough for the both of you or do you wish you had gone with a 1200? Is that Bassani exhaust loud? I love the looks of it, but I don't like REALLY loud exhaust.

We didn't start seriously thinking about the conversion until we put the sidecar on her 883. Just riding 2-up, it scooted along just fine. Keep in mind we don't have any mountains to negotiate, and we didn't have outrageous expectations from the small motor. 1200 would always be better, but if money is an issue, then an 883 will get you where you need to go, that's for sure.

Bigmatt
25th January 2006, 03:18
Yes you can tour comfortably:tour I had to upgrade to a touring seat and install a sissy bar to make the wife happy. Also installed saddlebags, windshield and hwy pegs. We normally go 300-350 a day when traveling. Sure there are more comfortable bikes but nothing as versatile as a sportster:luvsport

GOTWA
25th January 2006, 03:25
Like I mentioned in your Dyna thread, if two-up riding is something you want to do, then I think you'll be much happier with an 883 Std or a 1200R. The C and L models have much less rear shock travel.

smoke
25th January 2006, 03:28
Yes, very possible to tour comfortably. My SO and I do it on my sporty (man that sounds cool).

Sundowner seat
QD windshield
Sissy bar w/ touring backrest (ugly, bu she loves it)
Saddle bags

No changes to the suspension, yet. Not because I am unhappy with the stock set up, just want to improve if it is possible.

Kaitlin
25th January 2006, 03:56
A sidecar sounds kewl... but you know what would be even more comfy, if you brought your wife her own sporster :horseride

rottenralph
25th January 2006, 03:58
I rode to bikeweek with my wife from Atlanta. It is a 450 mile trek and we made it in about 7-8 hours. I had a lady gunfighter with the built in backrest for my wife. We were running at a pretty fast clip and the ride was glorious. She complained of buttache but she survived. I have taken many long rides and as long as you get the right seat and set your bars up for your bodytype you can drive all day.

Grizzly
25th January 2006, 04:04
I can put out 200 miles a day on my Sportster easy. (190 lbs) Add my wife on the back (101 lbs soaking wet) and we are both done in about 150 miles. I have the back rest and a real nice mustang seat, but I feel cramped. (6feet tall) Rideing solo, I can stretch out more. The Sportster is one of those bikes that can do anything, as long as you upgrade. Depending on what direction you want to go, Street fighter, tour, ect. And off the line speed.....it will toast my WG.The key points have been hit , Seat, Suspension, and pegs. I have to be honest though, I dont care what mods you do to a 1200, for a 6 ft tall 190 lbs guy, you will never get it as comfortable as my Wide glide. And thats with stock seat suspension and peg position. ( I think the MoCO has short changed the Sporty...at least 03 and earlier, in hopes of haveing people trade in for a more expensive model)

This is just my opinion, but if you want to do mainly touring....200 miles plus a day, you may not be happy with a Sportster. But occasional two up 200 mile days, and majority of riding solo and 150 miles and under, the Sportster is the way to go. Sportsters are made to (or were) be "Sporty". Run through the curves, ride around town, ect. To take a Sportster and expect it to perfom like an E Glide...not gonna happen. Try to ride an E Glide like a Sporty..... not likely.

I like the WG because it still handles well, is good for the long haul, and with some bags and a W/S I am ready to go for a trip. Again this is justy my opinion, but My WG is better suited for everyday riding. Why did I keep the Sportster? Because I love it for what I really beleive it is meant for. Takeing a day to run into the hills and straighten out corners, shorten long straightaways, and seriously "ride". But 90%of my rideing, the WG is the ticket. Someday, I may "grow up" and not want to race through the hills, then I will trade the Sporty for an E Glide. I will keep the WG though.... Every day cruiser....its the bomb.

(the opinions expressed in this post are simply one persons perception, and are not to be taken as fact. Ride what you want,and have fun)

punkmxcn
25th January 2006, 06:30
my girlfriend and i, about 275 pounds total carrying a backpack with another 10lbs so say about 285-290lbs can do 200 miles easy; from san francisco, ca to sanger, ca non-stop on an 883 with 11inch progressives, no sissy-bars or windshields. just ridin' in the wind

Sandman
25th January 2006, 07:22
This is the group I have been looking for. Can a Sporty comfortably carry two people, both being 5'10, with a combined weight of 350lbs. for a distance of 100-200 miles? I really want a Sporty, but my wife doesn't think one can be comfortable. She has only sat on one in the showroom with me. What do you all think?
My answer....YES! Now, there are certainly other bikes that can be more comfortable, but the sportster is fully capable of touring duty. I have an 883, nice 2-up seat, backrest, saddlebags, quick detach windshield, and my wife and I have gone on several trips greater than 300 miles. I am 200+, so together we are about 340, then add the weight of all our gear, probably pushing 375 lbs. Not a problem!

PlanB
25th January 2006, 07:35
The Ol' Sporty has been carrying two-up for forty-nine years now...some of you probably had grandparents riding Sportsters with their loved ones on the back...betcha there's a lot of road trip stories out there just waiting to be posted! This versatile bike can just about do every activity you want to do on two wheels! :D

Y2K
25th January 2006, 08:10
Yes you can tour on a Sporty but it's no touring bike :D
You can tour on a Honda 90 if you're not in a hurry.:p
Some of it depends on your definition of touring,if a couple three hundred miles in a weekend means touring to you then it's a piece of cake on a Sporty.
If you want to hit the road for a couple of weeks and average 500 to 700 miles a day like I do, two up with luggage and camping gear well that would be push'n it on a Sporty IMO.
That's what touring bikes are made for ;)
Y2K

Moved On / My Own Choice
25th January 2006, 16:21
I'm with Y2K,

I'm actually a bit amazed at these answers.

After a about 2 1/2 years and 35-40k miles on my old solidmount sporty (with the BIG UGLY touring seat, tall backrest, saddlebags, windshield) my ex BEGGED ME TO BUY A BIG TWIN.

We'd go 200 miles, loaded with clothing and camping gear for a long weekend or something and she'd be miserable by the end.

Once I got the Road King, she'd go 400-500 miles without a peep.

I'm 5' 10" and she was hmm, about 5" 6"-5' 8" and skinny, but her knees would definitely bug her after a while.

Now maybe the boneheads are better.

Certainly I know 200 miles on a bonehead is easy as pie solo.

and my wife had no problem putting almost 2k miles on hers in a weeks time last year (but that was solo).

Honestly, I think the REAL answer is that it is going to vary depending upon the people.

And I think MOST people will be fine with occassional 200 mile days 2-up, but the more often you do that, the less suited a Sporty is going to be for touring for MOST people.

There will definitely be exceptions.

Kev

Kennysits
26th January 2006, 00:54
As almost everyone has said stock shocks are bad news. I have 14" progressive shocks on the rear and they work fine for two up. They do raise the bike up a little. The stock seat on the 1200R won't work for two, look hard for one that will fit both your butts. Mustang seats work well.
If you really like two up riding don't go with straight pipes for your exhaust. After about 150 miles they become bothersome. Highway pegs also help out.

rider1951
26th January 2006, 01:18
About 5 years ago I took a motorcycle riders safety course and there was a guy in the class with an 883. He went to Washington DC and back on his bike without any problems. All his friends were trying to get him to buy a BT but he said the 883 was all he needed.

raysheen
28th January 2006, 06:44
A sidecar sounds kewl... but you know what would be even more comfy, if you brought your wife her own sporster :horseride
I agree...we have two in the family and it's waaaayyyy more comfortable than riding two up :D ...though that may change at some point in the future with the impending move and all :)

alleydude
28th January 2006, 14:24

The sidecar rig IS the wifeys... :laugh

http://www.hdbikers.com/Alleydude/images/Couple-001a.jpg

lschultz
28th January 2006, 15:32
There ain't no use for me to say anything cause its all been said. Them Sportsters can do it all.

Mattbastard
28th January 2006, 17:08
If me and my girlfriend went 3000 miles in 6 days two summers ago (with luggage) on a CX500, than the Sporty is PLENTY tourable.

Gone
30th January 2006, 13:46
You can absolutly tour on a sportster. I took a 4800 mile trip with my wife in 2005. We have a combined weight of 450 pounds. I have a custom with a sundowner seat, progressive 13.5" shocks, tall sissy bar, passenger floorboards, bags, luggage rack (use an expandable T-Bag), quick detack windshield with softail lower. My wife is tall, so I added a 2" peg offset/2" lower for the pegs, and a 1/2" jel pad for the seat. This gives her more legroom. She says it is more comfortable than a road king.
My previous bike was a 2002 standard. I kept the original shocks (13.25") and did not have a problem. You will get some breaking dive with the forks, but I have never bottomed out the forks, and it is rare that I bottom out the shocks.

Gone
30th January 2006, 13:51
Rode a Sportster (& 2-up) more miles than my Geezer Glide ...but I was ALOT younger when I rode the Sportster:rolleyes:

H@mbone!
30th January 2006, 15:25
Yeah don't see why you can't tour on a Sporty. Yeah but a new seat would be a must. Would probbley go with a Corbin.

trosga1
30th January 2006, 16:13
My wife and I are planning a 10 day trip from Seattle to Northern California and back this summer. No more then 300 miles a day and the bike (883L) has the detach windshield, mid-backrest (well change to a tall backrest before we go), very cumfy two-up seats, and saddlebags. We're also adding a luggage rack to carry all our stuff. We're both small folks so we're hoping that the trip will be comfortable. I'll post the results after our grand experiment.

Snuffy
1st February 2006, 00:03
Just got back from a trip to Az. We did over 650 miles in 2 days. But do take some 200 mile trips to condition the ole posterior and get some monkey butt cream

Bill2
1st February 2006, 17:40
This guy takes his sportster from canada to mexico in less than 24 hours. Check his bike out with the 10 gallon fuel tank and all the other stuff like sat. nav., gps, xm radio, cb radio, weather radio, ect. As far as everyday touring with the right seat and handle bars you can be comfortable as long as you want to ride. I have a friend with a fatboy and when we trade bikes for a while on trips he does'nt want to give my rubber mount sportster back because he says its smoother and more comfortable.

Moved On / My Own Choice
1st February 2006, 17:50
Yeah bill, but is that still a sportster? At what point have you modified it past a point of it being itself?

canroc
1st February 2006, 19:49
Yeah bill, but is that still a sportster? At what point have you modified it past a point of it being itself?
That cannot be answered until we have a formal definition of "Sportster".

Randum77
1st February 2006, 19:57
This guy takes his sportster from canada to mexico in less than 24 hours. Check his bike out with the 10 gallon fuel tank and all the other stuff like sat. nav., gps, xm radio, cb radio, weather radio, ect. As far as everyday touring with the right seat and handle bars you can be comfortable as long as you want to ride. I have a friend with a fatboy and when we trade bikes for a while on trips he does'nt want to give my rubber mount sportster back because he says its smoother and more comfortable.

is it physically possible to go from Canada to Mexico in 24 hrs? I've never tried but sound kinda like pushing it. Not saying it's not true at all. :smoke Hell, be one fun ride w/ the climate change. :laugh

Moved On / My Own Choice
1st February 2006, 20:09
That cannot be answered until we have a formal definition of "Sportster".

I'd say the answer is very easy.

And it's the same as the answer to this thread.

It's a matter of personal preference. ;) :D

Bill2
3rd February 2006, 21:54
is it physically possible to go from Canada to Mexico in 24 hrs? I've never tried but sound kinda like pushing it. Not saying it's not true at all. :smoke Hell, be one fun ride w/ the climate change. :laugh
Sure it's possible and yes it's pushing the shit out of it! And as far as it still a sportster, i would say yes. The only thing extra on the bike i have'nt seen on another sportster is the extra big gas tank. The canada to mexico in 24 hours is a iron butt ride that's been done by a few people.

federico
6th February 2006, 04:34
If the wife and I can do 300+ miles 2-up on her 883, then 2-up on a 1200 would be a piece of cake. Get a better seat.

The same.... GET A BETTER SEAT ....That's all you need :tour

XLFREAK
15th February 2006, 22:55
Wife and I did 175 miles on Sunday with a stock seat, stock pegs and a mini-backrest. The only touring addition we have is the standard size HD quick detach windshield. This was done on an 05 1200 custom with no problem at all. We both had plenty of room and of course the 1200 has more than enough power for 2 up riding.

So with better pegs and seat, we could easily tour out of state on this bike. Surprising enough, she was having a harder time with the stock pegs than with the stock seat. I am upgrading the front pegs to Iso mini-wings and getting her passenger mini-floorboards and then go from there. We are both small people at about less than 300 lbs for the both of us...

So yes, the Sportster can definately tour and tour comfortably with the right set up...

Loco
So. Cal.

sportyblue
16th February 2006, 00:47
Heck yea man. I rode my sporty over 9,000 miles last summer. However, I have made some changes i.e seat, windshield, heel rest. The forward controls with heel rest and the Mustang seat with back rest really improved the comfort for me. I do somewhere between 300 and 400 miles a day ( Yea I know I take alot of freakin' breaks ) when I'm out on a road trip.Yes they have that whole vibration issue going on but you get used to it. At least I guess I did. So yes yes yes.....................I love my sportster

74ironhead
28th February 2006, 20:37
but my brother in law rides his 04 883 with his wife all over the country on poker runs, toy runs, etc; Mine is a 74 with a paughco rigid frame, I doubt I'll be hauling a passenger for much of a distance, but i'm sure i';ll be fine on long trips,,

But I just like to get on and haul ass, I just love to ride, when I want comfort i get in my truck, later bud,

Little_Dave
2nd March 2006, 23:31
No problems; my 883 with stage 1 ,screen, buckhorns, crashbar, front pegs, sissy bar, touring seat and saddlebags, lowered shocks, great touring m/c. Great for rallies and toured in France last year. See below:gun :tour
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/1961littledave/H-Dfront.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/1961littledave/StTropezRally0012.jpg

alleydude
2nd March 2006, 23:42
No problems; my 883 with stage 1 ,screen, buckhorns, ...

Cool bike! Bet those buckhorns are comfortable! :banana

Little_Dave
3rd March 2006, 21:51
Great bike and economical as well, averaged in France 69mpg, and that cruising up to 85mph!http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/1961littledave/drinkbeer.gif

daytona
6th March 2006, 04:03
How important is the windshield? Does it make that much of a diifference for 55+ speeds?

vicks44
6th March 2006, 05:34
Makes a world of difference (when set up right) I really enjoy longer rides with it and do not get as tired fighting the wind.

steelkeister
6th March 2006, 07:08
I've got a '94 1200 and it seems to do pretty well for touring... at least for me. I did an Ironbutt in December and the cold, wet weather was much more of a hinderance than any shortfall the Sporty might have. Like another guy said, you eventually get used to the vibrations (if you don't have one of the rubber mounts). For me home-made heated grips and a small tombstone windshield makes a big difference. To prevent monkeybutt the best thing I've found is stay away from cotton underwear! Stick with the synthetics underwear and your sportster is a great touring machine! Solo or two-up! Wife and I weigh about 345 combined and she's never complained about not enough room, but many times I wish the rear shocks were a little better.

daytona
6th March 2006, 13:59
Makes a world of difference (when set up right) I really enjoy longer rides with it and do not get as tired fighting the wind.

What do you mean by setup right? Is one type/brand/manufacturer better or worse than another?

Swamp Fox
6th March 2006, 18:23
How important is the windshield? Does it make that much of a diifference for 55+ speeds?

I believe it does. For me, 50 mph seems to be the speed when the shield comes into play. Below that, I donít notice a great difference. Above that, noise levels and wind buffeting is lowered tremendously. On the downside though, are the looks. I much prefer the look of a bike without a windshield. With the detachable, I can take it off when I want.

vicks44
7th March 2006, 04:27
I have a national cycle "classic" and had to adjust up and down to get the right feel without helmet buffet.

Markd1
11th March 2006, 01:13
with a windscreen, mustang seat, and saddlebags, I'm hoping that I will do 300-400 mile trips this year without problems. planning on using the standard suspension. we'll see.

photon
11th March 2006, 17:11
Yes, Mark, windscreen and better seat will do wonders for touring. But for me, I also need to upgrade the shocks, both front and rear. The stock suspension on my 1200R just beats me to death on the back country hi-ways.

Today I am installing Progressive Suspensions 12.5" 440 Series rear shocks and their progressive-wound front fork springs. I'm also installing ISO-Grips and ISO-Pegs.

Then next Thursday I head out on my first 1K mile ride on the Roadster. If you find yourself in New Mexico, look me up.

skratch
11th March 2006, 18:08
photon,

are you going for a saddlesore 1000? good luck to ya either way.

photon
11th March 2006, 18:52
Since I won't have time to properly break-in my Corbin Classic Solo (only 50 miles on it) it will probably be a "saddlesore 1000" for me. But it's already way better than the stock butt-killer.

I'll be heading down to southern New Mexico, across southern Arizona through the Patagonia area and the Tohono Indian Rez to Yuma, then back again on a slightly more northern meandering route through Globe, Safford and finally around the Gila Wilderness Area in NM. Should take about 3 days. Anyone in that area who wants to ride a bit, let me know.

edman
11th March 2006, 19:01
This is from 2002 before I had a digital camera. This was a camping/hiking trip. Thatís my backpack sideways with my tent and sleeping bag on top.

http://www.earth2us.com/xlforum/2002b.jpg

I want something like this but the 1200L, my next bike someday.

http://www.earth2us.com/xlforum/Sportster883L-tour.jpg

SalTheWop
11th March 2006, 23:06
Havent read all the replies BUT my take on it is that you can tour on whatever you want to tour on .I knew people in my younger days that used to tour round Europe on 125 or 200cc Vespas . There are probably people that still do...Ive heard of people riding to Rome for a scooter rally (around 1200 miles each way) .

Gone
23rd March 2006, 22:35
Any bike can "tour". It's really just a matter of comfort. I rode 600 miles (in one day too) on a Honda 750 Shadow. I had a WS and a mod. seat and it was all I needed. I was tired, but then again, I wouldve been tired riding 600 miles in a car.

photon
23rd March 2006, 23:36
True, VRWC. I once rode across the U.S., from North Carolina to Alberta, Canada on a '75 Yamaha TX500. It had a windscreen and a makeshift pad on the stock seat. It was fine -- but I was 23 years old. Today, well? :rolleyes:

cantolina
23rd March 2006, 23:37
Don't know if I've responded to this thread before, but the answer is:

Yer damn right it can....

You have to be more physically able to handle the ride, because it ain't no bagger, but its done ALL THE TIME....

d_b
24th March 2006, 21:54
It would seem the majority believe the nobel Sporty can be an able tour bike as well. At least I hope so, since I've got a 2000km two-up trip planned for this coming summer. Mustang seat with drivers backrest, detachable backrest for her, windshield, tour bag and saddlebags are on the way. We'll see.....

photon
25th March 2006, 02:14
DB, if you haven't already, invest in some good shocks, at least Progressive 412's, 418's if you can afford it. It makes a BIG difference on the long haul. Have a great trip.

XLFREAK
25th March 2006, 03:58
It would seem the majority believe the nobel Sporty can be an able tour bike as well. At least I hope so, since I've got a 2000km two-up trip planned for this coming summer. Mustang seat with drivers backrest, detachable backrest for her, windshield, tour bag and saddlebags are on the way. We'll see.....

I don't know which passenger backrest you chose. The ultimate for passenger comfort is the bucket backrest. My wife gets so comfortable I have to turn around once in a while to be sure she's still there.

CustomBlue
25th March 2006, 04:01
Going on a run the week before memorial day.10 of us from Chicago to the Keys.2 days ride there,4 days in the keys and 2 days back.Everyone else has a Geezer-Glide.I'll be Sportin the whole trip.Holy Chit what have I gotten myself into? lol

Y2K
25th March 2006, 06:20
.Holy Chit what have I gotten myself into? lol

The most fun you can have with your clothes on thats what ;)

vicks44
25th March 2006, 14:09
Hey custom blue, you will be goin through my neck of the woods (I-65 & RT2) watch yourself on I-80/ I-94 its hairy...

Little_Dave
26th March 2006, 16:47
I fitted a touring seat; cissy bar; windscreen; crash bars and panniers and a tank bag, to my 2003 883, toured from the north of Ireland to south of France last June. See picture below taken just outside of St Tropez. Bike never missed a beat and returned a mileage of 71 mpg (british galls 4.45 litres).
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y148/1961littledave/Picture170.jpg

Jesse_Bolt
26th March 2006, 17:32
Check out this set-up (http://v2-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8900#post8900).

JB

waiteitei
26th March 2006, 17:45
rode around the south island of NZ twice on an iron sporty in the late 80's

round trip about 3000 miles no problems, small trow over leatheerr saddlebags and everything strapped on with bungie straps

klinesamuel
27th March 2006, 09:00
I sure hope a sportster can tour since my girl and me are going to be riding Rt 6 here in PA this spring. We will be starting out from here in York and riding to the start of our trip in the poconos. We will be ending up at Lake Erie if all works out.
Sam

Flash9677
30th March 2006, 19:38
Amsoil to get rid of the vibration problems. Switched over a couple of years back and it's made the biggest difference. We've done 350+ for a couple of days straight with no problems

sspeer
30th March 2006, 20:30
Amsoil to get rid of the vibration problems. Switched over a couple of years back and it's made the biggest difference. We've done 350+ for a couple of days straight with no problems

How does oil get rid of vibration problems? I can see it smoothing the engine a little, but nothing that would make a big difference

Forgive my skepticism..I know it's a good oil, but there is so much hype with Amsoil..you'd think they'd start using it to cure heart disease.

geekrider
30th March 2006, 22:53
Going on a run the week before memorial day.10 of us from Chicago to the Keys.2 days ride there,4 days in the keys and 2 days back.Everyone else has a Geezer-Glide.I'll be Sportin the whole trip.Holy Chit what have I gotten myself into? lol

Sounds like a good run. You'll have to let me know how the roads out of here are, I'm looking at taking a trip the following week up to New England. Should be a good ride, once I get out of Illinois...

Flash9677
31st March 2006, 21:02
Evidently by taking out the friction, it also takes out the vibration. When I had it first changed, I couldn't believe the difference, it was like a new bike. Every Sporty rider I've let take mine for a spin, has gone out and changed over as well. They all swear by it now. The concensis is about a 60 to 70% reduction in vibration. After each oil change it reduces even more. I know it sounds too good to be true, but it doesn't cost much to give it a try for yourself.

photon
31st March 2006, 21:36
Flash, what oil were you using before you changed over to Amsoil? Thanks.
Rich

Flash9677
31st March 2006, 22:34
Flash, what oil were you using before you changed over to Amsoil? Thanks.
Rich

Satandard Harley oil.