HARLEY DAVIDSON / SOFTAIL 2005

HARLEY DAVIDSON / SPORTSTER 2005

HARLEY DAVIDSON / TOURING 2005

Manufacturer : HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTOR COMPANY

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V607000 Recall Date : DEC 21, 2004
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:CARBURETOR SYSTEM
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 9501
Summary:
CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES MAY HAVE BEEN PRODUCED WITH DEFECTIVE FUEL SHUT-OFF VALVES. THE FUNCTIONALITY OF THE 'ON' POSITION AND THE 'RESERVE' POSITION OF THE VALVE MAY HAVE BEEN REVERSED.
Consequence:
IF THE BIKE WERE OPERATING WITH THE VALVE IN THE 'ON' POSITION, THE BIKE COULD RUN OUT OF FUEL, THE EXPECTED FUEL RESERVE WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE. THIS COULD LEAD TO THE DRIVER RUNNING OUT OF GAS WITHOUT WARNING, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE FUEL VALVE AND REPLACE IT, IF NECESSARY. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HARLEY-DAVIDSON AT 1-414-342-4080.
CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236

1911Bronco
28th January 2005, 02:56
I found out the hard way that mine is in the correct position....Its a weird feeling to have the bike start to quit on you while in heavy traffic. The bike started to die...I reached down...fumbled around for what seemed like minutes...and turned it to reserve...and....vroom... :tour riding happy again....It would have really sucked for it to have been backwards though.

It might be worth it to have it checked out if you don't know if your valve works.

Moved On
28th January 2005, 03:59
There was another post here recently about the same thing, not sure where it is though.

Gary

Paul
9th May 2006, 18:04
I got a recall notice from the MOCO about the possible defective fuel valve. I took it to the dealer and of course mine was one that was affected. They ordered the part and replaced it two days later. No big problem. It was explained to me that the fuel valves were improperly made by a supplier and that the "on" and "reserve" positions were reversed meaning that if you ran out of gas while in the "on" position you were TOTALLY OUT of gas.

Wino
9th May 2006, 18:13
Thanks. Mine's not affected, I've had to go on reserve many times with no problem.

E-Man
9th May 2006, 19:46
I would guess that you would find out pretty quickly if you had this defect. :doh

ZanexGt
9th May 2006, 19:48
Luckily mine's not affected.

cphilip
9th May 2006, 19:49
I guess I learned the hard way....

Although I was confused as to what part of the thing was actually pointing to what. I had the long end figured to be the pointer. In fact it seems its the shorter end with the notched carved in that points to where it needs to go.

HaDee75
9th May 2006, 20:37
I betcha, if it would be my bike I would have been back the day I bought it. Or let everyone change it at the MOCO and then not do it myself. One of a kind fuel-thingy

:)

OldFenderGuy
9th May 2006, 20:41
I had to switch over to Reserve a time or two, so I know mine is working correctly. :)

ed_in_az
9th May 2006, 20:51
I've only had to switch once. It is correct.:wonderlan

dodgenbullets
9th May 2006, 23:54
sometimes the tiny young ones on the assembly line get tired of 14 hours a day,with very low pay,they just want to play.So they -I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!- up your day.

sportysrock
10th May 2006, 00:01
I hit reserve 2 times, and both was going uphill. With the frigging vacuum device on there, it cut right out while I fumbled for the lever. I decided right then to get the Round, Chromey Do-Dad for the valve to be able to crank it around in a hurry and it works great. I highly recommend it to people.

whispanic
10th May 2006, 00:09
Mine switched just fine...but it still sucked ass...I mean fuel through the vacuum line...POS

Adios

ncst8er
10th May 2006, 02:13
The dealer checked mine the first time I had it in for service. Mine was OK.

Preacher
10th May 2006, 02:21
I got a notice, and then a second notice, but mine works just peachy so I just ignored the notices.

E-Man
10th May 2006, 03:54
I have a confession-I would have noticed it early on since I always hit reserve before I fill up it seems.

Plus, I dig checking how good my gas mileage is.

bshadbolt
10th May 2006, 04:06
I know mine is working ok, the reserve gets a good workout on mine - usually switch over at least once a week.

Cheers,

Brett

Cameron
10th May 2006, 05:17
Does that means that we have to use the least amount of gas from the tank first and switch to a larger portion of gas tank later? Clever!!!!

Who the heck is messing up with our heads?

Are the chinese manufacturing our fuel valves?

Can't this Country keep any manufacturers anymore?

When did we start selling ourselves out? I must have missed this one? It is coming around to bite you. Just let our Goverment take care of the important things. Watch your back.

Cameron

Bill2
11th May 2006, 00:35
My '05 is one of the backwards ones, all i been doing is when i fill up i put it on res. and if i run out just hit the main tank position. Nothing to it, to me it's more trouble to bring it in than it's worth.