PDA

View Full Version : How much weight will a grade 8 bolt hold?

phidoux
6th May 2008, 03:40
I don't like the look of throw over bags and I can''t find a set of saddle bag supports to do what I want so I'm going to try and make my own.
I am using 5/16 round stock, and am going to take the center strut bolt out, and extend it 2" from the strut support with a close fitting spacer and a fiber washer so as not to mar the chrome, and weld the bag supports to the spacer.
I am also going to weld in a vertical support to tie off to so the bags won't move.
I don't over load the bags just normal things rain gear, extra cloths for extended trips, lunches and sometimes a 6 pack of long necks.
Will a grade 8 hold up ok??
Thank You in advance.

Quay
6th May 2008, 03:58
I am using 5/16 round stock, and am going to take the center strut bolt out, and extend it 2" from the strut support with a close fitting spacer and a fiber washer so as not to mar the chrome, and weld the bag supports to the spacer.
I am also going to weld in a vertical support to tie off to so the bags won't move.
Thank You in advance.

5/16" is not a lot of material. It will easily hold the weight you describe, but potholes and expansion joints, etc. can transmit a lot of destructive force. You are on the right track by using a spacer and longer bolt to utilize the clamping force of the bolt. The larger diameter spacer you can use, the more support you give the bolt from flexing. Torque it to grade 8 specs. You would be much better off using more than one fastener on each side. Good luck!

ReddTigger
6th May 2008, 04:01
grade 8 will hold up ok...Definitely more then you'll probably need.

blakjak
6th May 2008, 04:07
It'll be overkill but not a bad thing. Gr 8 has 150k psi minimum tensile I believe...not sure on the other measurements but it'll definitely do the job and then some.

cantolina
6th May 2008, 04:12
I don't like the look of throw over bags and I can''t find a set of saddle bag supports to do what I want so I'm going to try and make my own.
I don't over load the bags just normal things rain gear, extra cloths for extended trips, lunches and sometimes a 6 pack of long necks.
Thank You in advance.

A grade 8 5/16 bolt with a coarse thread has a breaking limit of 7,850 lbs.....with a fine thread, its 8,700 lbs....

I'd say you'll be FINE....