PDA

View Full Version : XR-750 style heads?

Nu2HD
5th February 2006, 22:39
I've only recently bought my first Harley and I'm overwhelmed by all the aftermarket stuff that's available. Lots of engine and performance parts but I can't find anyone that makes XR-750 style heads for any year XL. I'm converting a late '84 iron head into a street tracker and I'd really like to have the dual carbs on the right and the exhaust exit on the left.

Does anyone make a set of these heads for any year XL?

Thanks,

John

aswracing
6th February 2006, 00:58
Yes, absolutely, there are a couple companies. Baisley has left side XR style carb heads and STD has right side. We're a dealer for STD and we do a lot of STD heads, it's a good product. We can certainly make up a set for you. Not sure on the ironhead availability, though, we'll have to check on that.

Nu2HD
6th February 2006, 01:08
Thanks for the reply. I'm not against changing the entire top end (cylinders, pistons, etc.) if need be but I do want dual RH carbs if I can get it. I also have access to a complete machine shop so I'm not adverse to a little extra work to get it to fit if necessary.

John

xl1200r
6th February 2006, 17:53
are these heads availibel for evo machines???

aswracing
6th February 2006, 19:21
Yes, that's what they're available for. Whether or not we can get some for an ironhead, or that can be adapted to an ironhead, is a different question.

xl1200r
6th February 2006, 19:54
is there any advantage to having the XR style heads over my XB heads (besides the joy of having to mess with 2 carbs)?

NRHS Sales
7th February 2006, 01:10
is there any advantage to having the XR style heads over my XB heads (besides the joy of having to mess with 2 carbs)?

They look really cool! ;)

engine
7th February 2006, 02:06
I'd like to see some XR heads on a non-XR style bike!

aswracing
7th February 2006, 04:26
The stock "Y" manifold definitely constrains the motor. Imagine air rushing toward one cylinder, the door gets slammed, and then the other cylinder tries to turn it completely around and take it the other way.

A good XR750 can break 2hp per ci, by comparison, 1.7 is considered a pretty good race motor with a "Y" manifold. Part of that is displacement, but part of it is getting rid of that manifold.

You've got to do some custom ground cams (but we can get that done), and you've got to do some things with fuel system and cabling obviously. It's totaly doable, though.

My first Bonneville bike was an XR1000 based bike. The dual carb thing (I used Mikuni HSR42's) was fun but for a street motor, I'm not at all sure it's worth the trouble. Like Dan says, it really does look cool though. But there's something nice about the simplicity of one carb. We're certainly ready, willing, and able to help someone do it if they want to, though.

engine
7th February 2006, 05:11
let's see if this works.

Someone posted this on the Quad Cam Bastard site that TNSportster owns.

http://www.network54.com/Realm/tmp/1139283635.JPG

xl1200r
7th February 2006, 17:12
I don't see anything.

engine
22nd February 2006, 06:27
how's this?

http://www.sportster.org/tech/misc-ironhead/dual-carbed-fe.jpg

Rigpa
12th March 2006, 04:20
How about the new Buell XBRR race bike ;) .. 1340cc or ~80 Cubic Inches and 150Hp 100ft-lbs. Has dual intake runners... each has a 62mm throttle body!!! Injected though so no carbs.

http://www.buell.com/en_us/mania/racing/xbrr2.asp

deanbruhn
12th March 2006, 05:37
The Buell, is using a FI that is based on the XB12R Dow Draft Fuel Injection. The cover where a typical gas tank is actually the air box. The XBRR is using two 62mm throttle bodies. SO essentially it is using two Fuel injection systems tuned together. Plus it comes down from the top making it useless for us sporty people as the manifolds put the throttle bodies in a wierd place for us.

You would be better off trying to find 2 x1 systems and trying to tune them together but I could see that being a real bitch too as you would probly need some sort of wild computer setup that is customized and $$$$$ would have to not be an issue. You are better off using two carbs

Dean

THC
4th May 2008, 01:25
I've been trying to get a hold of all the xr head folks-they don't answer emails.If I call them won't they say yeah,sure,we make that-send us yer money-I like email-proof of information.How do you get Baisley y-manifold XR type heads,even just a casting?Who do ya gotta know? What's the procedure?The reason I'm a bit sceptical is because anybody readily agrees to things over the phone only for me to find out later its' not so-I know Baisley is a good company,But why won't they send any info over the net?

NRHS Sales
4th May 2008, 16:23
This is the NRHS section of the forum. I cannot answer for Baisleys business practices.

Now if you want to get a set of XR style STDs NRHS can get those for you. But be prepared they take sevral months to get them and you will have to find your own intake and exhaust. I can get the cams for yo however.

okmatt33
15th September 2008, 01:19
i completely agree...dual carbs look cool! i have always wanted one, and finally built one a couple of years ago. am i glad to have it, but i am not sure i could recommend it to someone. it is defintely not a good value...

Ralphthe3rd
15th September 2008, 01:51
XR style heads on an Evo...I'm assuming these are yours Matt ?
http://xlforum.net/photopost/data/653/medium/smallxlr.jpg

nemosengineer@yahoo.com
15th September 2008, 02:00

OMG That is BITCHIN'

: Mike

Quay
15th September 2008, 23:24
I've been trying to get a hold of all the xr head folks-they don't answer emails.If I call them won't they say yeah,sure,we make that-send us yer money-I like email-proof of information.How do you get Baisley y-manifold XR type heads,even just a casting?Who do ya gotta know? What's the procedure?The reason I'm a bit sceptical is because anybody readily agrees to things over the phone only for me to find out later its' not so-I know Baisley is a good company,But why won't they send any info over the net?

Small shops simply don't have the time to answer e-mails. Guys like Baisely get killed time wise, just answering the phone 20-30 times each day. Typing up text replies could be a full time job in itself. Plus, issues discussed on the "net", suddenly become public domain, with smear campaigns and flame-wars cropping out of what was thought to be a private conversation. Enough of that crap and the owner closes shop and goes fishing - PERMANENTLY.

NRHS Sales
16th September 2008, 17:31
Quay,
I try to answer every e-mail I get but you are right about the smear campaigns that can happen. I debate every day about replying to threads on this forum for just that reason.

83XLX
16th September 2008, 17:38
Years ago, Sputhe made alloy XR-style heads and cylinders for Ironhead Sportsters. You'd have to get really lucky to find a pair, though.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/rotcorp52/sputhe8.gif

steelworker
16th September 2008, 18:40

That does look good! Any idea where those "semi-" rearsets come from?

NRHS Sales
16th September 2008, 19:12
Those look like Storz rearsets to me. I do sell Storz products if anybody is looking for something.

steelworker
16th September 2008, 19:16
Those look like Storz rearsets to me.

I thought so too Dan, but the Storz rearsets I've seen are set further back, just in front of the standard pillion peg position. Maybe these are a different version they make?

Quay
17th September 2008, 03:49
Quay,
I try to answer every e-mail I get but you are right about the smear campaigns that can happen. I debate every day about replying to threads on this forum for just that reason.

But, your business function allows a bit easier access to e-mail replies than many, small builders.
If you were in the machine shop ten hours a day and Saturdays, with machine coolant, engine oil, and grinding swarf on your hands and gloves, the computer might not even be turned on some days. Communications are very important to customers, but, to machinists and mechanics, it's a massive waste of time and contributes heavily to errors at critical points.