PDA

View Full Version : Bargain touring setups

Roadster_Rider
6th February 2006, 19:34
My mother and I are planning on going touring over summer, she has an 05 XL1200C and i have an 06 XL1200R, I'm interested in using Jafrum's big touring bag, at 50 bucks it seems like a real bargain, so we will each need sissy bars, and we would probably get some relativaley cheap saddle bags too, just some simple throw overs, i'm considering getting harley's nylon throwover's off of ebay, they seem to be going for around 100 dollars. Now are there any aftermarket options for sissybar's/sideplates that would be cheaper than through harley, right now i'm trying to find a set of sideplates and sissy bars used cheap, but since the bikes havent been around that long the demand for them is high.

tstoeckel
6th February 2006, 20:00
I've had pretty good luck finding sissybars and sideplates on eBay for much cheaper than I would pay at a dealer. For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-Sportster-Sissy-Bar-Backrest-w-plates-04-06_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35566QQitemZ46106153 08QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Mostly it takes patience and strategic bidding but I've gotten most of my touring accessories on eBay.

Roadster_Rider
6th February 2006, 20:11
I saw that too, i just like to wait until the auctions about over then i'll see where its at and bid.

xl1200r
6th February 2006, 20:22
watch out for the HD Nylon saddlebags. Some saddlebags are NOT campatible with detachables, so just make sure all your parts work together.

snowman
6th February 2006, 20:32
Don't forget to check the classified forum on XL! I just sold what you are looking for and bought detachables for a great price off this website

:clap :clap :clap

xena
6th February 2006, 20:38
Good point Snowman! Here's (http://xlforum.net/vbportal/modules.php?name=Classified) a link to the classifieds here on the forum.

Roadster_Rider
6th February 2006, 20:47
I might just go rigid mount since the detachable costs about 60 more with the hardware, i hate being on a budget.

tstoeckel
7th February 2006, 00:41
I might just go rigid mount since the detachable costs about 60 more with the hardware, i hate being on a budget.

I went back and forth between wanting detachables and wanting rigid mount until I realized that I was usually going to want/need to haul something somewhere and I'd rarely be detaching anything. So far, that has proved true and I'm glad that I can throw on a bag or an extra helmet on a whim with no assembly required.

Moved On / My Own Choice
7th February 2006, 16:24
I went back and forth between wanting detachables and wanting rigid mount until I realized that I was usually going to want/need to haul something somewhere and I'd rarely be detaching anything.

Yeah but detachables are AWESOME when cleaning, detailing or wrenching!

I don't go anywhere on a bike without bags, but most of the bags are quick-detach types.

Kev

PS, someone was asking about soft saddlebag supports the other day and someone else posted a link to a pretty ugly (but cheap) set that was available on ebay. Might be good for a temporary install, or a permanent if the bag is gonna hide it. I can look for the link if anyone's interested.

snowman
7th February 2006, 22:20
The only drawback I found now that I have detachables is that I have a set of plates with a sissybar, a set of plates with a Tour Pak and I have a detachable solo rack coming. All these decisions to make!!! :clap :clap :clap

Now I need to save up some money for gas. :frownthre :frownthre :frownthre

Moved On / My Own Choice
8th February 2006, 15:17
The only drawback I found now that I have detachables is that I have a set of plates with a sissybar, a set of plates with a Tour Pak and I have a detachable solo rack coming. All these decisions to make!!! :clap :clap :clap

Now I need to save up some money for gas. :frownthre :frownthre :frownthre

Ahhh Snoman dude, you're not gonna give up your mounting secrets?

PLEASE.

Don't make me beg.

I'm told I can be uhhh, Abrrassive! :banana

snowman
9th February 2006, 22:40
No secret! I bought a set of plates and the bar for a great price off the classified forum, got the Tourpak detachable bracket from a dealer (man that hurt), and the detachable solo rack I got for another excellent price right off the classified forum!

They all use the same mounting hardware, that attaches the custom mounts I made for my '06 Electra-Glide hardbags (brand new, bought off eBay, one at a time for about $330 total). All the plastic parts get fresh vivid black next month.

Local street rides will be with the LePera Solo and rack. Wife wants to go, I use the stock XL Custom two up seat with sissybar. Neighbor and I want to do the Asheville NC cruise this summer, LePera, Glide bags and TourPak are on.:wonderlan :wonderlan :wonderlan

deanbruhn
9th February 2006, 23:52
I have a wonderful bargain touring setup, a backpack and some bungie cords, another two bungie cords for hold the jacket to the handle bars when not wearing. yeah that about sums it up

sspeer
13th February 2006, 21:01
something I stumbled upon...

I found an inexpensive tote bag at Sprawl Mart with an extra piece of material on the back stitched on 2 sides, made to where the extending handle on rollaway luggage slips right through...slips right over a sissy bar and onto a luggage rack or the back pillion

snowman
13th February 2006, 21:44
Greasemonkey,

That's the same setup I used on my '82 Yamaha!! Since I got the Harley, I thought it was supposed to get ALL my $$$$ :roflblack :roflblack :roflblack

ps - I still carry some cords :shhhh

vicks44
13th February 2006, 23:47
Always... bungee cords and cable ties